Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chitownpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

Finally got my original 6 fathead nhl logos : ) now I need to find sponsor stickers for the boards, anyone have leads where I can buy some?

image.jpg 183 KB

SICK! So jealous of all you guys and your ROOM.

3 years later
    #573 7 years ago

My cuz has a super chexx with custom painted hawks/red wings figures thats been sitting for decades. Id like to get it restored, any one know any one in my area who might be able to take it on?

#578 7 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Not a lot to them so restoring would be relatively easy! In short, do it yourself!

Wish I had the time. I work 90 hours a week and have a wife and kid. No time to even play my pins let alone restore anything. Hes got money, Ill spend it! LOL

#580 7 years ago

Here it is just so you can see. 1983 model, not in too bad of shape. I think shell clean up nice!

IMG_2994 (resized).JPGIMG_2994 (resized).JPG

#583 7 years ago

Well, got some bad news. I guess mine isnt a super chexx its a knock off brand called "face off" and my guy says the electronics wont be able to be fixed.

Any one in Illinois wanna take a shot at this thing?

#587 7 years ago

Thanks. Not sure thats going to help him but Ill pass it along.

#589 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm guessing that thing is quite a bit more rare then a Chexx. It really is amazing how similar it is. When did Chexx come out? Wasn't it also 1983?

I guess this pre-dates chexx. Supposedly the guys are interchangeable but the electronics are not. I have an email out for some schematics so maybe I can send the boards out.

#591 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Sega's came out in the 70's it says?
    Chexx was 1983. I have an original chexx and it is sometime from 1983. If you open the sega up you should get pics of the boards and such!

Oh im opening it up. Ive got an email out for schematics and Ill just send them to John Wart if hell take them. The rest can be done by my local guy I think.

#595 7 years ago

Went to dig into my Sega Face Off today to get a better idea of what I am up against. Pretty positive news apparently.

I have +5 +8 and +12 as specified

The game coins up, and starts a game

The puck kicks out. Although the second game the puck would pop out. Need to look into that

The volume pot is shot. Its all the way down the game game is crazy loud. Its on the list to replace.

One of the guys is broken off. It looks like the post holding him onto the track is broken off. Any one have pics of replacing this?

The dome is scuffed pretty bad. I have a buddy with a detail shop who does headlight restores, you think if I have it to him he could make it new again. Should I look for a new one?

Hope to find a free play dip switch so I dont have to wire in a coin button.

All in all a good trip today. Pleased I can probably do this myself now. Game needs love, but not too much luckily.

IMG_3009 (resized).JPGIMG_3009 (resized).JPG

IMG_3008 (resized).JPGIMG_3008 (resized).JPG

IMG_3012 (resized).JPGIMG_3012 (resized).JPG

#600 7 years ago

Woah woah woah, why havent you posted pics yet???

Quoted from shirkle:

I believe white lithium grease is what's recommended by Chexx. I bought a tub of it and put some on when I restored my '83. I put it on the gearboxes and a little in the tracks. Doesn't take much, and if the game is clean (mine was completely diassembled for powder coating, so I got to clean every part pretty thoroughly), it will last a very long time.

#602 7 years ago

Would love to see some detail pics. LOOKS VERY NICE.

4 weeks later
    #626 7 years ago

I assume the procedure is similar between my sega face off and a super chexx, but does any one have any pics or manuals on how to replace the guys? I have one broken off.

#629 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I am still looking for a short stick for a painting project (any team).

http://www.icegame.com/c-22-super-chexx.aspx?pagenum=4

Short stick

As for replacing them...so they just pull straight up huh? Just need to make sure I dont lose the clear washer. So does the clear washer go between the gear box and the ice surface or between the player and the ice surface?

#631 7 years ago

Thank you sir.

This is what the shaft looks like off the broken player. So will the metal post chexx guys direct fit with no mods? Looking at maybe getting two whole sets of pre painted guys, washers, etc.

Here is what I am looking at (un painted version):
    http://www.icegame.com/p-25200-player-long-stick-whitered-with-full-metal-sha.aspx

IMG_3228 (resized).JPGIMG_3228 (resized).JPG

#632 7 years ago

I pulled the trigger. I have a party coming up so I need to get this done. Hopefully they work. If not, I know a guy who has the Sega players available.

#634 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I have some ones from my machine that I replaced if you need a player for a Chexx.

I appreciate it. If it was my money, I would take the hand out. Its not though, so I spent the money on the 2 sets of new guys (blackhawks vs redwings). Fingers crossed its a direct replacement!

The goalies pull straight up too right? One of the goalies was really tough to pull on so I left it, the other was just a wire when I pulled it up. The wire went into the base and thats how it sat....kinda weird.

#636 7 years ago

Thanks man!

#641 7 years ago

Thanks guys. Just waiting on the shipping confirmation from ICE....

#649 7 years ago

Dome had huge,wide scratch marks on it. Know a guy who does headlight restores, gave him a shot. I think it turned out really nice!

As you can see my goalies have seen better days.

Got the inside of the dome, the surface, and the gear boxes cleaned up. What do yall use to clean the poles? Magic eraser? Black gunk on mine.

IMG_3012 (resized).JPGIMG_3012 (resized).JPG

IMG_3261 (resized).JPGIMG_3261 (resized).JPG

IMG_3254 (resized).JPGIMG_3254 (resized).JPG

IMG_3255 (resized).JPGIMG_3255 (resized).JPG

IMG_3256 (resized).JPGIMG_3256 (resized).JPG

IMG_3253 (resized).JPGIMG_3253 (resized).JPG

#652 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

How much did they charge to do the dome? Mine looks similar to your before pictures.

Like I said, I know a guy.

Thanks for the tip on the grease. I plan to replace all the gear boxes if all goes well coming up. The game is over 30 years old, all the hardware could use a refresh.

#655 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I have a 32" door and yes the single base can fit (when separated from the dome). It has to go sideways (2 people) and you have to twist/turn but it will fit, given you have some space on the inside/outside of the doorway.

I have a standard door and yesterday all I did was remove the 4 bolts from inside the pedestal. Was very easy.

#656 7 years ago

Any one know where I can pick this black seal up? Missing a side of it. Would like to replace it all.

IMG_3270 (resized).JPGIMG_3270 (resized).JPG

#658 7 years ago

Hard to tell. Doesnt look exact. Maybe its different for my sega face off...hmmm

#659 7 years ago

Sorry, another question.

So my goalies have a post like the players do. From the looks of the pics of the super chexx guys I bought, the goalie has no post. How does a super chexx goalie attach?

IMG_3288 (resized).PNGIMG_3288 (resized).PNG

#660 7 years ago

IMG_3257 (resized).JPGIMG_3257 (resized).JPG

#662 7 years ago

Thanks! I hope the linkage lines up.

#663 7 years ago

These guys arent as nice as I hoped. They hand panted them, but they used stickers for the logos. Some are already falling off. If I had the time, I would have done it myself.

The shafts also look really long by comparison. I hope that doesnt cause any issues.

Ill know tonight!

IMG_3302 (resized).JPGIMG_3302 (resized).JPG

#664 7 years ago

Another question, sorry guys. This is the ME ME ME thread lately.

So I got the washers as well. How the hell do these things go on? If they go between the gear box and the ice surface, how do I get the post of the player through? It doesnt fit! I suppose I could drill the hole bigger, but that seems like an oversight.....what am I missing?

#666 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Where did the players come from?
    The clear washer goes above the gear box, under the ice. Then you push the player through. Yes it is tight, new washers make it feel almost impossible but it works.

From ICE direct.

It seems REALLY tight...glad i bought a few extras.

#669 7 years ago

Nice! Thanks!

#672 7 years ago
    Quoted from jaydee49:

I wonder if someone who has some painting experience here can chime in, but would it make any sense to put a layer of clearcoat over these guys so the decals stay on? I have two new teams coming from ICE next week and am worried about the same thing.

I think they are already cleared. Can you go clear over clear? I have no experience with clear.

#678 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballYeti:

When I bought my brand new USA and USSR teams from ICE a couple years ago, they came cleared but the clear started chipping\peeling off the players after just a few games. I was not impressed. It was especially bad on the players' sticks. I think the bodies are still in pretty good shape.

GREEEAAATTT. I kinda get the vibe from them that they dont give a shit about any one but distributors. They were really rude to me when I inquired about how long it would take my order to ship.

#680 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Has anyone tried adding athletic tape to the sticks? Most players tape their sticks anyway, so it's not like it would look out of place.

I think that would drag the motion of the guys down a lot. My guys touch the ice a little. Maybe just paint the black on and add light grey lines to simulate it?

#682 7 years ago

OK, so my goalie mechs and goalies went on great. Im not even sure I need the cotter pins they included or the screw I would have to buy. they dont turn and were very hard to push on. Do I need a washer for the goalie? If so....pssshhh too late. No way Im risking pulling those bastards off.

I have a question about volume/sound. When I turn my game on, its at a set volume it seems. The volume pot did nothing. I had a spare volume pot laying around and when I compared them, they were almost exactly the same. Score! When I soldered the new one in though, nothing changed. Any ideas?

I plan to do the whole wood/drill/press for the washers tonight, and hopefully wrap this project up so I can get to other things before my party. Thanks to all who have helped so far.

#684 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I don't think my goalies had the washer..... yeah no pin/cotter on mine either, they stay, however mine is in a home use so not a big deal if it came off.
    Which chexx version do you have?
    chexx original
    super chexx early
    super chexx recent
    They each have different boards. Mmm wonder if someone over rode the volume or a component on the board failed.

My hockey game is a 1983 Sega Face Off. Same hard ware for the most part, different boards.

#686 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

do you have that MOOG board?

Im not sure. I know nothing on my score board says "electronics by MOOG" like the chexx games. My game also doesnt count shots on goal.

#688 7 years ago

No, not at all. Mine is much more of a square. Let me look if I have pics....please hold.

#689 7 years ago

Got it!

IMG_3008 (resized).JPGIMG_3008 (resized).JPG

#691 7 years ago

I actually just got the manual in the mail. I will have to take a look at the board schematic and see if I can make any sense of it. Im not the best at board work.

#693 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Should only be like 3 wires to the pot but there will be some components on the board side.

There are two wires to the pot....should there by 3?? Let me see if I can use the scanner here at work before I leave.

#694 7 years ago

Im quick today. Im not sure I am supposed to share these, the guy stamped his company name all over them. Oh well.

2957_001_Page_2 (resized).jpg2957_001_Page_2 (resized).jpg

2957_001_Page_1 (resized).jpg2957_001_Page_1 (resized).jpg

#696 7 years ago

Going to take a guess and say it IS a part on the board thats gone bad. This is what it sounds like when a game ends and no one is playing. ONLY after a game has been played though, not when it turns on.

#699 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I don't know anyone that fixed chexx boards, but anyone that can do board work including yourself could see the part and schematic and replace caps, transistor, resistors etc. the schematic I think showed the parts in that section

I wish i had the time to send the board out, but I think I will just disconnect the speakers for the party. Oh well.

#703 7 years ago

I hit up John Wart to do mine. Ill report back if he bites.

1 week later
    #704 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I wish i had the time to send the board out, but I think I will just disconnect the speakers for the party. Oh well.

Cut the far speaker first, turned it on, played a game, no more noise. Weird. Bad speaker?

On another note, I had no stripped gear boxes or any other issues the entire party. Game got about 50 plays I would say. Super fun.

2 months later
    #727 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

Just lister a Super Chexx I picked up in a package deal. Can't get the base down my narrow stairs so I'm selling it. All works great, could use some new gear boxes on the players. Cleaned up nice, $850.00.

Hella good deal!

#732 6 years ago
    Quoted from robbo105:

It's right.
    From the manual at http://www.bubblehockey.com/images/document/SuperChexxServiceManual.pdf
    "The puck may be ejected manually by pressing the Boo/Eject buttons."
    The idea is that during normal play, the puck may fall back into the eject hole, and pressing the button ejects it back into play. The BOOOO sounds are just a bonus.

Weird. My Face Off will eject the puck automatically if it falls back in the hole. The boo button will cut the anthem and eject the puck at the start of the game though.

#737 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

How long does ICE usually take to ship parts? I ordered a bunch of parts for my game on Sat and they still haven't shipped. I've been spoiled by Amazon I suppose. Anyone have experience?

Did you order custom painted guys? Those take about a week to make. They are made after you order. They paint and clear them and apply the decals.

1 month later
    #751 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone have any dome buffing tips to get it clear again?
    Reminds me I need to order ice, no luck on a nicer then mine used local.

Head light restoration kits and or take it to a head light restorer. I had a detail shop do mine and it turned out great. Still some deep scratches, but all the shallow ones buffed out. Look back a few pages for pics.

2 months later
    #793 6 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

I saw this video linked on the National Bubble Hockey Association facebook page. He said the video was from the Dave and Busters in Buffalo which is right near the ICE factory and I believe they test games there.
    https://www.facebook.com/nick.mastrocovo/videos/10209876907630494/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/311587888906261/

WOAH!!! THIS IS DOPE!!!

1 week later
    #804 6 years ago

Any more info on those LCD screen, Lights, and Replay upgrades? SUPER SWEET. Totally want.

#830 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChadNC:

When you start the game it goes dark and then the leds start going off like a light show at the beginning of a game. Pretty awesome

UGH.

Are we taking bets on the price of Super Chex SLE?

#853 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChadNC:

So I spoke with ICE today. The new Chexx price will be about a 200.00 price increase and the official new pricing will be listed once the website is updated.

That doesnt sound bad at all! Awesome.

#863 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I hear the ice painted guys hold up well. Custom ones need some clear to help, but yeah they’re I’ll get beat up and flake maybe...

My ICE guys are fine minus the stickers for the logos. I dont like that part. We wail on my game pretty well, plus kids are playing it some times.

3 weeks later
    #929 6 years ago

The timer is the most appealing thing to me. I hate that its a guessing game how much time is left in a game.....at least on mine it is. I dont have SOG either....lucky

1 month later
    #1120 6 years ago

One thing I have been wondering after having a bubble hockey game now about a year. Why did they make the ice textured? Why didnt they make it nice and smooth and make the puck out of something that would slide on the surface? Seems like this should have been done. I feel like the game would be a lot faster.

4 months later
    #1338 5 years ago

Those looks great man! Hate t be nit picky, but if there a way to print the logo on black background so it blends in?

1 month later
    #1370 5 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Just got off the Chexx site and it says all games are keyed differently and that you can't buy replacement keys. Shit!
    I'll pull the dome/playfield off this weekend and see if I can get both box's opened this weekend.
    QSS

Would this work?

https://www.easykeys.com/Yale-Lock_A01-A1100_A17_Key_Lock.aspx

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chitownpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey?tu=chitownpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.