Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,728 posts
  • 378 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by Saveleaningtower
  • Topic is favorited by 133 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20210820_215545_229 (resized).jpg
    received_485380452578893 (resized).jpeg
    received_3579968328894381 (resized).jpeg
    received_279162740544666 (resized).jpeg
    905ACA48-CA97-49C6-A3B9-8A21AAEDFBF7 (resized).jpeg
    F68DC7AB-6F53-4012-8590-E088B6F1BF8F (resized).jpeg
    received_717922038851452 (resized).jpeg
    130290158_415370666500372_4862365269764310331_o (resized).jpg
    130093817_415370573167048_5978888051996334066_o (resized).jpg
    130285054_415370363167069_6888957543667603944_o (resized).jpg
    159337784_474594857244619_2553018523739955010_o (resized).jpg
    received_1570231709845728 (resized).jpeg
    received_270078641360369 (resized).jpeg
    received_2758070851123072 (resized).jpeg
    received_724064391599053 (resized).jpeg
    received_896680167782401 (resized).jpeg

There are 2728 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 55.
    #201 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

*Sigh* I'm thinking of selling mine, only because it hardly ever gets used. I've had it for about 10 years, and I swear if it's had 100 plays I'd be shocked. It's in absolutely perfect condition. But I LOVE it.
    Somebody talk me out of it...

Beelzeboob although I appreciate your sense of loyalty, isn't it selfish to keep it with so few plays? I'm sure the game would be much happier being fondled and the players getting excercised. I think you should sell it to me

#202 7 years ago

Just picked up my second Super Chexx yesterday. Missed the other one so I had to get one back.
    Home used since new, it is a 1996 build. It is not perfect but very nice. The sound has some issues I need to work out. When it is cold it turns on with garbage noise, then sounds like a motorcycle, then a siren gets louder and louder and then it stops and sound will work. Going to replace some caps and see if that fix's the issue. Unless someone else has a fix?

USA vs Canada right now will soon be Red Wings vs TBD

If if have Red Wings vs another team who did you choose and post some pictures please!

Also the story behind this machine for you baseball fans. This was bought new from former MLB player and current coach, Kirk Gibson. I got it from Gibson's brother in law. Kind of a cool story to have with a cool item!

20140904_210735.jpg
    #203 7 years ago

I am painting Chris S chexx in the next few weeks......Charlestown Chiefs vs Syracuse Bulldogs. Complete with glasses and blood on the Hanson's jerseys. I'll post the progress.

HansonBrothers.jpg
    #204 7 years ago
    Quoted from Leachdude:

Just picked up my second Super Chexx yesterday. Missed the other one so I had to get one back.
    Home used since new, it is a 1996 build. It is not perfect but very nice. The sound has some issues I need to work out. When it is cold it turns on with garbage noise, then sounds like a motorcycle, then a siren gets louder and louder and then it stops and sound will work. Going to replace some caps and see if that fix's the issue. Unless someone else has a fix?
    USA vs Canada right now will soon be Red Wings vs TBD
    If if have Red Wings vs another team who did you choose and post some pictures please!
    Also the story behind this machine for you baseball fans. This was bought new from former MLB player and current coach, Kirk Gibson. I got it from Gibson's brother in law. Kind of a cool story to have with a cool item!

20140904_210735.jpg 151 KB

My Penguins!

#205 7 years ago
    Quoted from Leachdude:

20140904_210735.jpg 151 KB

Kind of sounds like a cold solder joint somewhere that heats up, expands, and makes the proper contact. I'd start with reflowing solder and then go from there. Maybe reseat the sound chips.

#206 7 years ago

I have a chexx game thats giving me fits. Its a 1986 version and the score wont register. Ive sent the board and scoreboard into ice and they said there was nothing wrong with it. When i got it back it actually kept score on one side and puck ejected for 2 games then stopped scoring again. Any ideas on what it could be

#207 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shannyman:

I have a chexx game thats giving me fits. Its a 1986 version and the score wont register. Ive sent the board and scoreboard into ice and they said there was nothing wrong with it. When i got it back it actually kept score on one side and puck ejected for 2 games then stopped scoring again. Any ideas on what it could be

it could be the puck sensors under the ice surface near the goal mouths. Take the side that is working and switch them over to the other side that is not registering. Drop a few pucks through. If the scores now register on that side, then it is the sensors. Before switching them, make sure all the connections are secure. Could be a loose wire.

#208 7 years ago

I tried that and even bought a new puck to no avail.All wires look good. If one side worked and puck ejected i could live with that. The weird thing is even when it didnt score on one side the puck still ejected.

#209 7 years ago

I ordered a new ribbon cord for it today . Hope that fixes it. This game was sitting by road 10 years ago so I stopped. The man said I could have it. It was in a bar that went out of buisness and he didnt want it. We have played over a 1000 games on it with no problems really want to get working we love it. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#210 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shannyman:

I tried that and even bought a new puck to no avail.All wires look good. If one side worked and puck ejected i could live with that. The weird thing is even when it didnt score on one side the puck still ejected.

The puck ejector is "dumb." It ejects whenever the puck is there and the game in play.

#211 7 years ago

Hey everyone,

I recently picked up an original 1983 CHEXX from an old arcade. Does anyone have any experience with the originals?

This table is pretty cool... all the electronics work and scoreboard shows scores correctly. It is a coin op blue base version (USA/RUSSIA). The serial on the table and the base are different but the table has the original CHEXX decal on the sides.

=)

20140912_154646.jpg 20140912_154404.jpg
    #212 7 years ago

I have one too. That one looks nice, it even has the dome corner bumpers.

3 weeks later
    #214 7 years ago

Looking to buy one in Minnesota anybody have any suggestions? 2,500 for a new one is a little steep for me...

1 week later
    #216 7 years ago

For those of you who bought new NHL models and picked your teams, did you go with your home team's biggest rival, playoff/Stanley Cup matchup, or what?

I'm going to buy a new one and am torn over team selection. If I choose the Blackhawks, I'm torn on whether to choose Detroit, Boston, Philidelphia, etc. as the opponent.

Part of me wants a color that is much more distinct than the red Hawks players (i.e. and not go with the red and white Red Wings).

Part of me wants to say screw it and go with the Miracle on Ice version.

#217 7 years ago

I want one team to be the characters from Disney's Frozen.

#218 7 years ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/chexx.htm

In case it hasn't been posted yet...

#219 7 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

For those of you who bought new NHL models and picked your teams, did you go with your home team's biggest rival, playoff/Stanley Cup matchup, or what?

I can see only one issue with having select teams on the game. The day may come when you want to sell the game. With selected teams potential buyers will say "I don't like those teams" thus you limit your buying audience.

#220 7 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

I can see only one issue with having select teams on the game. The day may come when you want to sell the game. With selected teams potential buyers will say "I don't like those teams" thus you limit your buying audience.

Did think about that. But if I buy this thing and sell it within 5 years my wife may sell me (have a bad habit of buying stuff and selling it fairly soon).

Also wonder how many people who come over will want to play as the hated (insert rival team).

#221 7 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Did think about that. But if I buy this thing and sell it within 5 years my wife may sell me (have a bad habit of buying stuff and selling it fairly soon).

lol so you see my point as you're one of those people that may be looking to sell it down the road! I have a 2005 LE one that I have no plans on selling. I have had a Chexx game for over 10 years and will probably always will have one.

Quoted from kid_ego:

Also wonder how many people who come over will want to play as the hated (insert rival team).

I dont think this is much of an issue as people don't tend to complain about little stuff when they're not paying to play! I could see kids doing this!

#222 7 years ago

Well how expensive are new players so you could have a "stock" set and painted set?

#223 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Well how expensive are new players so you could have a "stock" set and painted set?

Looks like the NHL team sets are $99. That's not a bad idea. Buy the basic Super Chexx for $2595 (price w/split base)...plus two or three painted sets (either now or later) still works out to less than the $3095 the NHL version costs (also w/split base).

This is why I don't make any important decisions in life without consulting Pinside!

#224 7 years ago

I bought the NHL non split base home (no coin door) version. Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets. The decision was pretty easy - Detroit is about an hour away, and Columbus is about 2.5 hours away from my house. Grew up a Red Wing fan, but go to 3-5 Jackets games a year, and maybe 1 Red Wing game every 3-4 years (simply much much easier and cheaper to get Jackets tickets)

The predominately white jerseys of the Red Wings vs. the predominately blue jerseys of the Blue Jackets looks sharp. I would suggest picking an opponent that looks the best vs the Blackhawks. I also considered the Miracle on Ice version, but in the end thought that the NHL version looked a little better.

Best game purchase ever - the thing gets played constantly by my kids, and my almost 10 year old has gotten very good very fast so I have a competitive opponent always ready to play.

#225 7 years ago

I think I could squeeze one into my game room. I'm already planning on downsizing my couch to fit more pins. These are fun and take abuse of little kids. My hockey liking gf, didn't really like it the few times she played though :/

#226 7 years ago

Just ordered the standard, red, split-base version.

Plan to give the teams more thought in the next week or two while waiting on it to arrive.

Leaning toward Blackhawks vs. Bruins for the Stanley Cup significance and because the color difference is distinct.

#227 7 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Leaning toward Blackhawks vs. Bruins for the Stanley Cup significance and because the color difference is distinct.

If you like the Bruins for the color differences you could go with the Penguins for the Stanley Cup significance of 1992 .... oh you probably want the Bruins since Chicago won it that year!!!

#228 7 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

I'm going to buy a new one and am torn over team selection. If I choose the Blackhawks, I'm torn on whether to choose Detroit, Boston, Philidelphia, etc. as the opponent.
    Part of me wants a color that is much more distinct than the red Hawks players (i.e. and not go with the red and white Red Wings).
    Part of me wants to say screw it and go with the Miracle on Ice version.

I like biggest rival lately but Stanley Cup final is great too. On a side note nice way to lose tonight Pens to my rival the Wings.

1 month later
    #229 6 years ago

I picked up a Super Chexx last week and am looking to fix a few issues with it. Hoping you guys can help.

Issue 1. The Canada player side of the scoreboard shows zeros in all the blocks at the start of the game(which is correct), but once the game starts it doesn't show a time count down and the team shots show up in the score section. Nothing shows up in the shots section, they stay at zero.

Issue 2. The USA player side of the scoreboard correctly shows zeros at the start of the game. It shows the clock count down in the correct spot. It shows the score in the shot section and nothing in the score section.

I have checked the wiring harnesses inside of the scoreboard and everything is going where its supposed to. I also replaced the main wiring harness from the scoreboard to the mother board, but no luck.

Issue 3. Everytime I press the "Boo Button" during play, it counts it as a shot on goal on the scoreboard.

Very frustrating and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars if I don't have to to fix it.

2 months later
    #230 6 years ago

Off topic Question (but, I feel I can get a true answer here): Are Super Chexx players compatible with the Super Stick Hock game? They look similar, but I am not sure. Has anyone dealt with this?

Mike

#231 6 years ago

This might be helpful for problem-solving: http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/chexx.htm

2 weeks later
    #232 6 years ago

Ive got a Super Chexx available in Nashville, TN (rare for these to show up in the south). It is a Bubble Boys Black Base model. Check out my wishlist for trade options or $1800 cash.

20150211_071515.jpg 20150211_071521.jpg 20150211_071528.jpg 20150211_071534.jpg
    #233 6 years ago

Future Bubble Hockey Champion MPTCHEXX1-9.JPG

#234 6 years ago

Im planning on picking up my new Super Chexx tomorrow, I have done some research but cant get a solid answer.... I have a 32 inch door, will the base fit through? It seems with some creative twisting it will but can anyone confirm that?

#235 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Im planning on picking up my new Super Chexx tomorrow, I have done some research but cant get a solid answer.... I have a 32 inch door, will the base fit through? It seems with some creative twisting it will but can anyone confirm that?

Allegedly you can get it though a 32-inch door with some creative twisting. I have about a 31.5 inch door so I opted for a split base which is a little more setup as I had to disassemble it, but it easily fit through the door when split. Call ICE and ask them. They will know.

Sales Inquiries & Support Contacts:
    855-552-4399 toll free
    716-759-0360 ext. 3 phone
    716-759-0884 fax
    [email protected] e-mail
    [email protected] support e-mail

Gord

#236 6 years ago

Thanks, they said it "should" fit through. That really helps. lol. Guess I'll buy it and find out later tonight.

#237 6 years ago

I fit mine through a 32" door no problem just took a bit of creative twisting.

#238 6 years ago

I'm officially a member of the club now! The door was actually the easy part, the top of the stairs entrance, with no door, was so tight we literally had to run and bump it through! No room on either side to twist it, the tightest fit of any game we have.

It a 2004 model, home use only, in fact the manual, puck, hardware, etc was in the coin box from day one and never even opened! ( no key ) I drilled it out when I got home and nothing had been touched.

My kids love it, cant believe I waited this long to get one!

#239 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I'm officially a member of the club now!

Congrats! Throw a picture of it up on here! Is it a red or black base?

#240 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Congrats! Throw a picture of it up on here! Is it a red or black base?

Thanks, its a red base. I throw up some photos when my custom decals arrive! I ordered them last night!

#241 6 years ago

It's going to be weeks for my decals to get here, so here it is now.

IMG_20150218_223444.jpg
    #242 6 years ago

I wish they would sell the Blue base. I have the original cab decals and would definitely get a brand new base.

1 week later
    #243 6 years ago

A friend of mine asked me if I knew anything about these even tho I am a "pinball guy". And if i could find one for him. well by dumb luck and perfect timing, I stopped by my friends place to ask him about them and he just happened to have one right there!
    anyhow, I owe this friend a pretty big favor (not big enough to pony up for the game! ) and he was asking about making the game a "Miracle on Ice" edition. Figured it would be perfect to buy it for him. I was checking online and the price I got was something crazy , like $400.00 and $100.00 for shipping. Is there another option for getting the players and decals? TIA, yo.

#244 6 years ago

Read up aways. I believe that was covered earlier in the thread.

#245 6 years ago

Here are my custom decals I ordered. Should be here soon. The top 2 are for the boards and the last one is for the ice.

Dasher - Home Goal Side - Spencer.jpg Dasher - Ribbon Cable Side - Spencer.jpg Order - Spencer.jpg
    #246 6 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Read up aways. I believe that was covered earlier in the thread.

I was referring to this particular kit (miracle on ice). the hand painted $700 stuff is too much for me to spend.

#247 6 years ago

My old school Chexx! New dome, ice surface, and decals. I need to get the repro Russia/USA players.

image.jpg

#248 6 years ago

Beautiful. Looks like mine- I even had the top powder coated (and did the original scans that thisoldgame used for the new decals). I need a new ice surface...it's the only worn part in mine, except for....

Did you replace the rods, or just the handles? My original red handles are deteriorating and get sticky. They don't look like they'll come off easy.

Lastly, for any original '83 (blue base ) owners, there is now a replacement for the scoreboard components. Very simple plug and play. I got it from ebay from bostonpinballcompany. I hesitated buying it because it wouldn't be original, but actually like it so much more. You no longer have the ICE lights, but a lot of people didn't know those were the period lights anyway. Instead you have red led lights indicating each period or overtime. I love it.

#249 6 years ago

Thanks for doing the scans, the new art is great!

Someone replaced the Rod handles on mine before I got it. I wish I had the red ones, but I bet any left would be dirty or worn like you are describing. You can get the handles off by squirting some water in the handles with one of those fine oil applicators.

That scoreboard is pretty cool. I replaced a TON of IC chips in mine to get it working. The guy before me removed the ICE logos and hand painted the period numbers on. It was nasty. I used some decals and they look great. I also am using automotive tail light LEDs for the overhead lamps. The heat from those incandescent bulbs probably caused all the wear and tear on the scoreboard ICs.

image.jpg

#250 6 years ago

I like that 1-2-3 idea. Looks good. When I had people over I always had to explain the period lights to them.
    I also switched out those old bulbs before getting the new board altogether. I eventually got the new boards because I stupidly plugged the ribbon cable in upside down after I moved into my new house. I knew immediately what I did. I replaced all of those ICs, had it working while still disassembled, then reassembled it and it wasn't working. At that point I said "screw this" and got the new boards!

And, yeah , I've looked all over for those red handles but can only seem to find them in packs of two about once a year on ebay. They're old bmx handlebar grips made by Hunt-Wilde.

There are 2728 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 55.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside