Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 63.
    #2301 4 years ago

There's a Canada/Russia non-Super Chexx available for $1500CDN relatively near me. Thoughts?

IMG_20200408_1344301[77065] (resized).jpgIMG_20200408_1344301[77065] (resized).jpgIMG_20200408_1344550[77066] (resized).jpgIMG_20200408_1344550[77066] (resized).jpg
    #2302 4 years ago
    Quoted from Matrices13:

There's a Canada/Russia non-Super Chexx available for $1500CDN relatively near me. Thoughts?[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like the dome has some pretty good marks on it and its an older game. For 1500 more dollars and one year same as cash financing i would rather have a brand new one when they open back up, especially if that game has been beat to death in a arcade which it looks like that could be the case. You would have to put a lot of money in that one to make it like new again and a good amount of work so i say just go new.

#2303 4 years ago
    Quoted from Matrices13:

There's a Canada/Russia non-Super Chexx available for $1500CDN relatively near me. Thoughts?[quoted image][quoted image]

I agree with Who-Dey. Those boards aren’t supported by chexx and the scoreboard will need the aftermarket swap at some point if it doesn’t already. Depending on how nice you want it to be, ice and dome will set you back $500 shipped. Gear boxes add up. Those players have plastic bases and strip, in addition to the gear boxes stripping. I wouldn’t pay more than $500 (tops) for a project Chexx.

#2304 4 years ago

Little Sweet!

06282714-2957-43D3-8500-3374851C2E40 (resized).jpeg06282714-2957-43D3-8500-3374851C2E40 (resized).jpeg
    #2305 4 years ago

That looks good Blitzburgh!

#2306 4 years ago

Hi Matrice13

I don't necessarily disagree with what others are saying but you have to consider that in Canada, the price for a new game is much higher.

I bought an older one for 1800 last year. By the time I repaired and changed everything, 2 teams(Ottawa and Toronto), new ice surface(ScotiaBank), new dome, and few other things including an LED light from Boston Pinball, the cost rose to close to 4K. Still cheaper than a new one and it looks great. However the main problem is the board. If there is an problem with it, you may not be able to replace it as Who-Det says.

Maurizio

#2307 4 years ago

Thanks, all - I think I’ll pass on it to be safe. I guess it’s still Stiga for the time being!

#2308 4 years ago
    Quoted from maur:

Hi Matrice13
    I don't necessarily disagree with what others are saying but you have to consider that in Canada, the price for a new game is much higher.
    I bought an older one for 1800 last year. By the time I repaired and changed everything, 2 teams(Ottawa and Toronto), new ice surface(ScotiaBank), new dome, and few other things including an LED light from Boston Pinball, the cost rose to close to 4K. Still cheaper than a new one and it looks great. However the main problem is the board. If there is an problem with it, you may not be able to replace it as Who-Det says.
    Maurizio

why would you have to worry about boards? they go to a different design or something on the newer ones?

#2309 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

why would you have to worry about boards? they go to a different design or something on the newer ones?

Every generation has different boards...Chexx, Super Chexx (two versions of boards), and Super Chexx Pro

#2310 4 years ago
    Quoted from Matrices13:

Thanks, all - I think I’ll pass on it to be safe. I guess it’s still Stiga for the time being!

I have a Stiga,that I take to family gathering. They're a lot of fun,and I wouldn't part with mine.The only problem is when the puck flies off the table. They do sell domes for them,but they're expensive.

#2311 4 years ago

Hey guys....since we all have some time on our hands right now, I would like to toss something out there. If this gets enough interest, I will start another thread just for this.

Here it goes....many moons ago, I was working on my MBA when Bud Light stopped the Bubble Boys tournaments. It was the early 2000's when the internet was in its infancy and it was the wave of the future. For my Masters thesis, I decided to build a "business" around Bubble Hockey. It was more an exercise of building a website, publishing a book, setting up an organization type stuff. That spawned into the International Bubble Hockey Federation.

If you've been following bubble hockey since around 2004-2008, you may recall the IBHF, the International Bubble Hockey Federation. The website was www.ibhf.net. The goal of the organization and my website was to carry-on the Bud Light momentum, in absence of any major sponsors. This was about same time ESPN dropped the NHL, and sponsors were running from hockey. So I sold some products to help cover costs of the website. Stuff like painted players and a book I authored, "The Ultimate Bubble Hockey Players Guide."

Well...the IBHF eventually got noticed by the St Louis Blues and we partnered together for a two year run of the IBHF National Championships. They were held in St Louis and at the arena for the finals. Tournaments are great, but most players will be one and done because of how the events are setup. Spending a lot of money to travel and play in a big event just doesn't make for enjoyment. Bubble Hockey collecting and playing is a unique hobby. It thrives the best in a home environment, with a small group of friends where everyone can play many many games.

This is my ask of Pinsiders...I have a playing system designed to maximize enjoyment in the home environment. I would like to find a handful or so guys who could play the formats and system and give their feedback and input. I believe I described one of those format somewhere earlier in this thread for 3-player/team races. I have some for four and more players/team, too.

If you would be interested in joining me for a pilot project, send me a PM describing why your "Arena" should be chosen as an IBHF Home Play pilot location. Time frame would be the next week or so depending on interest.

Thank you all for consideration of this long post. Long live the IBHF!!! Dave

Stay Home...Play Bubble Hockey!!!!

#2312 4 years ago

Does anybody have a link to the original '83 Chexx Moog manual in pdf? Just picked up the game and would like the manual. If not, can someone tell me what the settings are for the selector switches on the main board? I know they are for time and coin, but what does each position represent?

Thanks
    BR

#2313 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Hey guys....since we all have some time on our hands right now, I would like to toss something out there. If this gets enough interest, I will start another thread just for this.
    Here it goes....many moons ago, I was working on my MBA when Bud Light stopped the Bubble Boys tournaments. It was the early 2000's when the internet was in its infancy and it was the wave of the future. For my Masters thesis, I decided to build a "business" around Bubble Hockey. It was more an exercise of building a website, publishing a book, setting up an organization type stuff. That spawned into the International Bubble Hockey Federation.
    If you've been following bubble hockey since around 2004-2008, you may recall the IBHF, the International Bubble Hockey Federation. The website was www.ibhf.net. The goal of the organization and my website was to carry-on the Bud Light momentum, in absence of any major sponsors. This was about same time ESPN dropped the NHL, and sponsors were running from hockey. So I sold some products to help cover costs of the website. Stuff like painted players and a book I authored, "The Ultimate Bubble Hockey Players Guide."
    Well...the IBHF eventually got noticed by the St Louis Blues and we partnered together for a two year run of the IBHF National Championships. They were held in St Louis and at the arena for the finals. Tournaments are great, but most players will be one and done because of how the events are setup. Spending a lot of money to travel and play in a big event just doesn't make for enjoyment. Bubble Hockey collecting and playing is a unique hobby. It thrives the best in a home environment, with a small group of friends where everyone can play many many games.
    This is my ask of Pinsiders...I have a playing system designed to maximize enjoyment in the home environment. I would like to find a handful or so guys who could play the formats and system and give their feedback and input. I believe I described one of those format somewhere earlier in this thread for 3-player/team races. I have some for four and more players/team, too.
    If you would be interested in joining me for a pilot project, send me a PM describing why your "Arena" should be chosen as an IBHF Home Play pilot location. Time frame would be the next week or so depending on interest.
    Thank you all for consideration of this long post. Long live the IBHF!!! Dave
    Stay Home...Play Bubble Hockey!!!!

A local pinsider Joe lent me the book you authored. The pandemic hit,and I haven't had a chance to return his book.
    I did a search on the internet ,but I couldn't find a single copy of your book. Any chance you have one for sale?
    Thanks in advance
    Ralph

#2314 4 years ago
    Quoted from brightonrock:

Does anybody have a link to the original '83 Chexx Moog manual in pdf? Just picked up the game and would like the manual. If not, can someone tell me what the settings are for the selector switches on the main board? I know they are for time and coin, but what does each position represent?
    Thanks
    BR

Check here:

http://pinrepair.com/arcade/chexx.htm

They are there.

#2315 4 years ago

Schematics are there, but I do not see the game manual. That is what I'm looking for (unless I missed it which does happen)

BR

#2316 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

A local pinsider Joe lent me the book you authored. The pandemic hit,and I haven't had a chance to return his book.
    I did a search on the internet ,but I couldn't find a single copy of your book. Any chance you have one for sale?
    Thanks in advance
    Ralph

I would need to print some more....let me track down my saved disc and see what I can do

#2317 4 years ago

Great deal on one on CL in Pittsburgh. Non split base or I would have been all over this!

pittsburgh.craigslist.org link

#2318 4 years ago
    Quoted from daveddd14:

Great deal on one on CL in Pittsburgh. Non split base or I would have been all over this!
    pittsburgh.craigslist.org link

That sure looks like a nice one at a good price!

#2319 4 years ago

Coming soon to a bubble near me....

Pittsburgh Penguins Hall of Famers
    vs.
    Pittsburgh Penguins Current Greats (running two lines)

576CF923-B7B7-4CA3-8E9E-611C4213349B (resized).jpeg576CF923-B7B7-4CA3-8E9E-611C4213349B (resized).jpegA28999A4-CE02-45F2-8BBD-3AFB82EDCAAD (resized).jpegA28999A4-CE02-45F2-8BBD-3AFB82EDCAAD (resized).jpegFEC9567F-3171-44E2-83F7-D356569A2CC8 (resized).jpegFEC9567F-3171-44E2-83F7-D356569A2CC8 (resized).jpeg7A687EC0-2AB3-4AEC-BAAB-F2C543445E00 (resized).jpeg7A687EC0-2AB3-4AEC-BAAB-F2C543445E00 (resized).jpeg2EAD680F-E4A7-4396-8AE2-1CACD84C3ADC (resized).jpeg2EAD680F-E4A7-4396-8AE2-1CACD84C3ADC (resized).jpegC313A466-99F2-4993-9BD3-A47C453DE121 (resized).jpegC313A466-99F2-4993-9BD3-A47C453DE121 (resized).jpeg
    #2320 3 years ago

Had anybody 3D printed any players? Would like to try it if somebody has a 3D file to share. Thanks

#2321 3 years ago

Had anybody 3D printed any players? Would like to try it if somebody has a 3D file to share. Thanks

I don't think 3d printed players would last because they're missing the metal piece, plus you'd have to paint all of them. Probably not worth it considering that the average player cost is only like $20.

#2322 3 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I don't think 3d printed players would last because they're missing the metal piece, plus you'd have to paint all of them. Probably not worth it considering that the average player cost is only like $20.

Probably right, but would still like to try it. Being in Canada price per player is closer to $45. CDN. Also would like to print the slopes behind the nets.

#2323 3 years ago

My Dream Team

2020-04-19 12.42.24-1 (resized).jpg2020-04-19 12.42.24-1 (resized).jpg
    #2324 3 years ago

My Dream Team[quoted image]

Excellent job. Where's Mr. Hockey?

#2325 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hockeey:

Excellent job. Where's Mr. Hockey?

Did someone say MR. HOCKEY??

pic 2 (resized).jpgpic 2 (resized).jpgpic 3 (resized).jpgpic 3 (resized).jpgpic 4 (resized).jpgpic 4 (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpg
    #2326 3 years ago

Thanks
    BR

If you look closely at those switches you’ll see one says cost and one says time. Shine your phone flashlight or you won’t be able to see this. I set my cost to zero and time to 1. Makes for a good game. Enjoy!

#2327 3 years ago

Probably right, but would still like to try it. Being in Canada price per player is closer to $45. CDN. Also would like to print the slopes behind the nets.

I bought the slopes behind the net from PlayerOne and they were reasonably priced but I didn't have to pay shipping. Certainly cheaper to print your own as they are $10 CDN each plus shipping but better than getting from ICE directly @ $5.50USD + US shipping and potential duty.

#2328 3 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

I bought the slopes behind the net from PlayerOne and they were reasonably priced but I didn't have to pay shipping. Certainly cheaper to print your own as they are $10 CDN each plus shipping but better than getting from ICE directly @ $5.50USD + US shipping and potential duty.

Is there a problem with the slopes breaking ?

#2329 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Is there a problem with the slopes breaking ?

mine had yellowed and gone brittle with holes in them.

1 week later
    #2330 3 years ago

Hi all. First and foremost, the mods you guys are doing are amazing!!

kind of an oddball question. My boo button when pressed, ups Canada's score one (only on the one side)
    I'm in the process of customizing my machine now, so i have it torn up (players off, easy accessible to the underbelly if you will.)
    Has anyone else had this issue or is there something you can think of offhand may be the issue? My friend thought maybe a faulty/loose ground wire, but i am far from an electric expert.
    NOTE i am very timid in tinkering w/ the electronics as i'm paranoid of messing something up further (I can live w/ avoiding the one boo button) but figured you guys are a sharp bunch and i have the machine tore up, now is the time to ask.

any thoughts/input would be appreciated Thanks all!!

#2331 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeyzep:

Hi all. First and foremost, the mods you guys are doing are amazing!!
    kind of an oddball question. My boo button when pressed, ups Canada's score one (only on the one side)
    I'm in the process of customizing my machine now, so i have it torn up (players off, easy accessible to the underbelly if you will.)
    Has anyone else had this issue or is there something you can think of offhand may be the issue? My friend thought maybe a faulty/loose ground wire, but i am far from an electric expert.
    NOTE i am very timid in tinkering w/ the electronics as i'm paranoid of messing something up further (I can live w/ avoiding the one boo button) but figured you guys are a sharp bunch and i have the machine tore up, now is the time to ask.
    any thoughts/input would be appreciated Thanks all!!

Someone had a similar issue not long ago. I posted the wiring diagram in this post, hopefully it helps.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/46#post-5515364

#2332 3 years ago

New to the board. Just got a Chexx. The game is pretty beat up. Any suggestions on how to clean up the red plastic base and the red metal base?

Also the boo button doesn’t work on one side. Trying to get these all cleaned up while I have some down time.

Thanks

#2333 3 years ago

Got my 83 chexx I love this machine!

Installed some blue LED strips under the dome for floor illumination, designed frosted ice cup holders (only neeed some new screws to tighten it to the base) and next week I will try to polish and sand some deep scratches on the dome. Hope it will come nicely after polishing...

cheers
    Chris

chexx (resized).jpgchexx (resized).jpgchexx2 (resized).jpgchexx2 (resized).jpgchexx3 (resized).jpgchexx3 (resized).jpg
    #2334 3 years ago
    Quoted from chriz99:

Got my 83 chexx I love this machine!
    Installed some blue LED strips under the dome for floor illumination, designed frosted ice cup holders (only neeed some new screws to tighten it to the base) and next week I will try to polish and sand some deep scratches on the dome. Hope it will come nicely after polishing...
    cheers
    Chris[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That game looks to be in incredible shape for its age. Where did you find this beauty at? Congrats!

#2335 3 years ago

Thanks Who-Dey

Found it on ebay with only 3400 games on the internal coin/game counter. Love the oldschool sound of the 83er one, reminds me a bit of the track and field arcade sound

#2336 3 years ago
    Quoted from chriz99:

Thanks Who-Dey
    Found it on ebay with only 3400 games on the internal coin/game counter. Love the oldschool sound of the 83er one, reminds me a bit of the track and field arcade sound

That sure is a nice one. Bubble hockey is awedome!

#2337 3 years ago

omg lets get that thing polished

E274B733-55B3-4A7D-958E-4AF3518E1171 (resized).jpegE274B733-55B3-4A7D-958E-4AF3518E1171 (resized).jpeg
    #2338 3 years ago

scared stiff:

F4606D43-EB38-4B88-B3AD-E44342577B32 (resized).jpegF4606D43-EB38-4B88-B3AD-E44342577B32 (resized).jpeg
    #2339 3 years ago

coming closer

C6D3BEC9-170A-4E4F-A9E9-8A1C54A4E939 (resized).jpegC6D3BEC9-170A-4E4F-A9E9-8A1C54A4E939 (resized).jpeg
    #2340 3 years ago

done after many hours of polishing

47EE4EE7-1EEC-433B-BE55-BD6C35403E75 (resized).jpeg47EE4EE7-1EEC-433B-BE55-BD6C35403E75 (resized).jpeg
    #2341 3 years ago

Looks as good as new!

#2342 3 years ago
    Quoted from chriz99:

done after many hours of polishing
    [quoted image]

That looks awesome! How did you polish it? I picked up an ‘83 last month, it has some similar scratches. In great shape though.

#2343 3 years ago

Thanks

Wet sanding from 400-2000/3000 grid, then machine polishing...polishing... polishing

try to sand and polish evenly/equally to avoid lensing effect on the plastic

2 weeks later
    #2344 3 years ago

I am looking for some size information of the two parts. I can find the overall sizes all offer the internet, but not the individual sizes. Can somebody please measure the LxWxH of the base and then the same for the upper piece? Thanks.

#2345 3 years ago
    Quoted from chriz99:

Thanks
    Wet sanding from 400-2000/3000 grid, then machine polishing...polishing... polishing
    try to sand and polish evenly/equally to avoid lensing effect on the plastic

Did you use a palm sander? Seems like the curve of the dome could be a challenge for any sander with much of footprint at all.

#2346 3 years ago
    983EE42B-F625-48B7-A98E-B2C7CA5A9974 (resized).jpeg983EE42B-F625-48B7-A98E-B2C7CA5A9974 (resized).jpeg
    #2347 3 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Did you use a palm sander? Seems like the curve of the dome could be a challenge for any sander with much of footprint at all.

yes, we used a small palm sander

cheers
    Chris

#2348 3 years ago

Hello all,

I've had my Super Chexx since 2016 and it has been well loved. Since day one I've had trouble with the long stick players rubbing on the ice, but more annoyingly if you spun them slowly they always got caught in their channels. I more or less rectified this by lightly sanding the point of the bend in the stick and placing a thin nylon washer between their boot and the ice. They still rub the ice, but no longer get caught. Then my new problem started.

Now, one of the goalies stutters and chatters when sliding back and forth. Both goalie figures do this. The only ways I can get it to stop is by removing the goal/puck chute or leave the figure lifted slightly but then I cannot insert the set screw. The goalie for the other team doesn't seem to have this problem. Linked is a short video of the chatter. When moving it, it feels like driving on the cobblestone in Olde City part of Philly. This was not a problem before I removed the ice in order to reattach one of the Boo/Eject buttons.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BkoprfcwDDBjmvfM8

Thanks for any help!

#2349 3 years ago
    Quoted from max4677:

This was not a problem before I removed the ice in order to reattach one of the Boo/Eject buttons.

Didn't you also have to remove the players? Seems like goalie getting hungup somewhere. BTW, I know what you mean about driving in Old City! Same as Germantown Ave.

#2350 3 years ago

Hi everyone,
    So I was kicking around the idea of adding the jumbotron from chexxmod. I have seen any recent posts about it. Has anyone added it? What, if any, feedback does anyone have?

There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/47?hl=marcus0202 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.