Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 63.
    #2001 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Super Chexx coming to the Iceman's house soon!
    Played the cheapo version growing up with my brother. Had some competitive battles! Canadians vs. Maple Leafs. Got pretty good at it. Let's see if any muscle memory is left from way back.
    Ice had to have a hockey game right?

Congratulations Doug, you are going to love it!

#2002 4 years ago

5 hour round trip and I officially joined the club today!

5D8CAC10-A247-4E4F-BA44-0250BBA8E5AE (resized).jpeg5D8CAC10-A247-4E4F-BA44-0250BBA8E5AE (resized).jpegF8EEBE58-5A23-48BA-8562-0E54A15C4A07 (resized).jpegF8EEBE58-5A23-48BA-8562-0E54A15C4A07 (resized).jpeg
    #2003 4 years ago
    Quoted from SNES:

5 hour round trip and I officially joined the club today![quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats, looks like a nice one!

#2004 4 years ago

Anyone have a remedy for players sitting to low and scratching ice surface? 1983 table brand new ice, brand new players, nothing is bent. Notice this on ONLY the new gear boxes that were put in. Old gear boxes players are fine. Washers are between ice and gearbox does not help.

#2005 4 years ago

What do used ones go for? I would think the used have fallen in price since the new ones have the LCD scoreboard. Close to $3k seems high.

stlouis.craigslist.org link

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/465307877651662/?ref=browse_tab&search_query=Chexx

Plus there are more on Facebook marketplace, so just looking fo some thoughts, thank you!

#2006 4 years ago

Both look to be in great shape. The custom one is more than a year old...they stopped making them 2 yrs ago. $2300 is about right. The other is the base red vs blue but is coin op, which you likely dont need but it does cost extra, so I'd say about $2300 for that one as well. Of course, if you can work one down to $2K then at that point I'd say you are getting a nice deal.
    Others will likely tell you much less, but in my area, a great condition used one is tough to find. Your area might be different.

#2007 4 years ago

So just out of curiosity, I had an issue where one of my rods cam loose and I had to pull the players up off of the playfield which was a pain in the butt and then had to get in there and connect the rod back to the gearbox. I was just wondering if something like that is common and how much maintenance there is to do on these games? My game only had about 30 games on it when that happened.

Do the metal couplings come loose periodically?

#2008 4 years ago

They shouldn't come loose. I've had mine a few years now and have had to replace gears and had one washer break. Your right about the players being difficult to pull off but once you have them up, swapping out gears is easy.

#2009 4 years ago

I'm surprised to read that the players came up with the washer still attached. I don't understand how that is possible. The washer should be on top of the gear but inside the track. I'm guessing that your washers were directly under the ice.

#2010 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rhauf0:

I'm surprised to read that the players came up with the washer still attached. I don't understand how that is possible. The washer should be on top of the gear but inside the track. I'm guessing that your washers were directly under the ice.

Does the washer go between the ice and track or between the gear and track? Inside the metal track?

#2011 4 years ago
    Quoted from 1983Chexx:

Does the washer go between the ice and track or between the gear and track? Inside the metal track?

It should be inside the metal track, resting on the top of the gear.

#2012 4 years ago
    Quoted from 1983Chexx:

I don't have my game yet,but there's a bunch of YouTube videos that will answer your questions.If my memory serves me right,I think the washer goes over the gearbox,and then the player is inserted. But check YouTube out,they have all kinds of videos showing all types of game repairs.

#2013 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

So just out of curiosity, I had an issue where one of my rods cam loose and I had to pull the players up off of the playfield which was a pain in the butt and then had to get in there and connect the rod back to the gearbox. I was just wondering if something like that is common and how much maintenance there is to do on these games? My game only had about 30 games on it when that happened.
    Do the metal couplings come loose periodically?

I have had my game for 5 years now and have never had any of the rods come loose. There is almost no maintenance required on these games in a HUO environment other than to occasionally wipe down the ice with lemon pledge to keep it nice and slippery for the puck. If you do need to do some maintenance YouTube has quite a few videos available which will help you out.

If you play it a lot and beat on the game a bit your mileage may vary. My bubble hockey game really only gets played when we have visitors as it is just me and my wife at home and she isn't much of a bubble hockey player.

Gord

#2014 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rhauf0:

It should be inside the metal track, resting on the top of the gear.

Yes they are on top of the gear and inside the metal track. Three of the plastic washers actually bent and pulled through the metal track.....in return unfortunately putting a couple of cracks in my ice. Then to get them off of the players I had to stick it inside the track again and yank them off of the players.

I'm telling you that some of them was so hard to pull out that I wasnt sure if I was going to be able to get them out. It sure seems like there would be a better way to to get the players in and out of the game because the way it is right now is totally ridiculous. The only good news is that it does seem like it is easy to work on once you get the game tore apart.

#2015 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Old pic but it'l do
    [quoted image]

dig the board collection, I got many originals that I plan to mount someday. as well as many remakes. did you ever get to skate the cave springs park back in the day?

#2016 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes they are on top of the gear and inside the metal track. Three of the plastic washers actually bent and pulled through the metal track.....in return unfortunately putting a couple of cracks in my ice. Then to get them off of the players I had to stick it inside the track again and yank them off of the players.
    I'm telling you that some of them was so hard to pull out that I wasnt sure if I was going to be able to get them out. It sure seems like there would be a better way to to get the players in and out of the game because the way it is right now is totally ridiculous. The only good news is that it does seem like it is easy to work on once you get the game tore apart.

Did you contact the manufacturer? Maybe they can give you a heads-up as to why this happened. Don't know if this will help you in the future,but one of the videos I watched,said that the rods should be pushed in before pulling/pushing the player into the gear box.
    HTH

#2017 4 years ago

Anyone replace the black rubber gasket that goes under the dome? If so did you cut it? How did you hold it in place?

#2018 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I had a player come loose from the gear box last night and man that was a pain in the ass to fix. Those players are a MF to get loose from the playfield and three of them came loose with the plastic washers still attached and actually put a small crack in my ice. Pissed me off big time but you cant see it so i guess it will be ok. Also the little screw on the collar closest to the gear box is nearly impossible to loosen and tighten, that was aggravating also. I tightened up All of the other collars in the game because they were a little loose so hopefully it will be ok now. I know the game takes a beating but i hope those screws don't make a habit of coming loose all the time.
    On a positive note though I love the game a lot and its a total blast to play. Its every bit as fun as pinball if not more.

How old is your game? Your comment about how hard the guys are to get off has me thinking...

I just ordered a new Super Chexx Pro a couple weeks ago and am having the Chexxmods guys do custom ice for me.

If it’s going to be a huge pain to pull all the guys off to switch out the ice (?), I may ask if they can ship the new unit without the guys attached.

Any feedback from other users on how hard it will be for me to switch out the ice when I get it?

#2019 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vikingatheart:

How old is your game? Your comment about how hard the guys are to get off has me thinking...
    I just ordered a new Super Chexx Pro a couple weeks ago and am having the Chexxmods guys do custom ice for me.
    If it’s going to be a huge pain to pull all the guys off to switch out the ice (?), I may ask if they can ship the new unit without the guys attached.
    Any feedback from other users on how hard it will be for me to switch out the ice when I get it?

It's not that difficult to remove or reattach players. Be mindful of the clear player gaskets when reattaching.

#2020 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

dig the board collection, I got many originals that I plan to mount someday. as well as many remakes. did you ever get to skate the cave springs park back in the day?

Skateboards, my other mid life crisis

Never did skate Cave Springs. There's parks all over now days it seems. 1 in Ofallon, 1 in lake st louis, 1 in Dardene Prairie.

#2021 4 years ago

Hello everyone, I’m considering buying a super chexx that someone’s selling for $600. He said nothing works electronically. I have attached pics to review. Any help on what it may take to get working and if it’s worth buying is much appreciated.
    Thanks

0098CF33-49F2-408B-9370-F991BA679CBC (resized).jpeg0098CF33-49F2-408B-9370-F991BA679CBC (resized).jpeg00BA5E83-7157-4670-B29C-AD9624DA134D (resized).jpeg00BA5E83-7157-4670-B29C-AD9624DA134D (resized).jpeg029B8363-E211-4FFD-B9FD-276586333F94 (resized).jpeg029B8363-E211-4FFD-B9FD-276586333F94 (resized).jpegF8E8F4E0-862A-41CC-B5A8-00D28742955C (resized).jpegF8E8F4E0-862A-41CC-B5A8-00D28742955C (resized).jpeg
    #2022 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gtk77:

Hello everyone, I’m considering buying a super chexx that someone’s selling for $600. He said nothing works electronically. I have attached pics to review. Any help on what it may take to get working and if it’s worth buying is much appreciated.
    Thanks[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would grab it at that price. Your worst case is a new main board for $450 but you can probably just send in the main pcb and scoreboard to ice to be fixed for a few hundred. Does anything happen when you flip the switch? Working I would put that machine at 1200-1600 so there's plenty of value to justify doing some work. You could see if they will come down a bit since it's not working but my guess is they will get their price. Here's a breakdown of some of the other commonly replaced parts.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/35#post-5282428

#2023 4 years ago

Thanks for the response latenite04. I haven’t seen it in person yet. Is there anything else I should look for? How old do you think this unit is?

#2024 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gtk77:

Thanks for the response latenite04. I haven’t seen it in person yet. Is there anything else I should look for? How old do you think this unit is?

Check the ramps on the ice to see if they are cracked, they are yellowed but might still be in good shape. If the handles spin easily when two sticks touch the gears are worn, easy replacement but adds up. When you look at it there should be a 4 digit date code on the transformer on the main pcb, the last two digits are the year. I'm guessing around 2005 because in pic 3 there looks to be a plaque on the side of the scoreboard that looks like this limited edition.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/41111

#2025 4 years ago

My game is brand new and it is a bitch getting the players out of the game, at least for the first time. I'm not sure how it will be the next time.

#2026 4 years ago
    Quoted from marcus0202:

It's not that difficult to remove or reattach players. Be mindful of the clear player gaskets when reattaching.

Was your game new when you removed them for the first time? I'm here to tell you that I had to pull with all of my might to get the players off. I would say its pretty damn difficult to remove the players, at least on a new game it is.

#2027 4 years ago

It seems like they made the newer plastic washers thicker than older washers. I had two of the washers pull straight up with the player and through the playfield slot. Had to cut one of the washers to get it off of the player post.

#2028 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It seems like they made the newer plastic washers thicker than older washers. I had two of the washers pull straight up with the player and through the playfield slot. Had to cut one of the washers to get it off of the player post.

I had 3 of them where the washer came up and stayed stuck on my players and in return put two small cracks in my ice unfortunately. You cant really see them but I'm not too happy about it. I can see right now that its probably a good idea to buy some spare parts. I could not believe how hard it was to get my players loose from the playfield.

#2029 4 years ago

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions. First, does anyone sell the cup holders that mount with the two bolts on the top of the corners? I was going to have my brother in law 3D print some, but he was looking for a file to go off of and I don’t have anything. I’d like something solid to cover the corners because the previous owners would sit their cigarettes on the corners and there are some brown burn marks.

Second, when my puck ejects it always shoots toward one side and sometimes scores on the goal. My model doesn’t have the setting to turn down the strength of the launcher. Any ideas on what I could do to have it pop straight up instead?

Thanks guys, loving this thing!!

#2030 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Congrats, looks like a nice one!

Thanks! The lady posted it with some really dirty pictures that made it look like it was in rough shape. Worked out great for me as I was able to snag it for $1100 and it really just needed to be deep cleaned. Working great, just needing a couple of minor tweaks and it will be perfect!

#2031 4 years ago

Have a nice young Super Chexx with coin door still available for sale if anyone is interested.

IMG_4738 (resized).jpgIMG_4738 (resized).jpgIMG_4739 (resized).jpgIMG_4739 (resized).jpgIMG_4740 (resized).jpgIMG_4740 (resized).jpgIMG_4741 (resized).jpgIMG_4741 (resized).jpg
    #2032 4 years ago

Dome Strap

ALWAYS use a Dome Strap when opening your dome.

If the dome folds open past 90 degrees far enough, the bracket and frame have a high potential of being bent. Once it’s bent, the dome will not lay flat on the ice surface and pucks will get stuck under the yellow side board plastic piece.

The bracket isn’t expensive should it need replaced. The complicated part is that the bracket is riveted to the dome. Which means they need removed and replaced and could lead to dome damage.

Use the strap. Hook on the top hole and loop around the goalie knob for best results.

AD96B721-05C0-4505-A078-85858CEAE081 (resized).jpegAD96B721-05C0-4505-A078-85858CEAE081 (resized).jpeg198D8F33-7CC6-420D-A3C1-FAF1A0BE5090 (resized).jpeg198D8F33-7CC6-420D-A3C1-FAF1A0BE5090 (resized).jpeg04AB9D76-621C-42EF-A363-56CA018CF63E (resized).jpeg04AB9D76-621C-42EF-A363-56CA018CF63E (resized).jpeg11476B38-E697-4390-AA5D-4B96C3486475 (resized).jpeg11476B38-E697-4390-AA5D-4B96C3486475 (resized).jpeg
    #2033 4 years ago

Santa put this in my stocking this year!

F0DAC59F-4D7A-43DA-873D-E54EBAAE9D81 (resized).jpegF0DAC59F-4D7A-43DA-873D-E54EBAAE9D81 (resized).jpeg
    #2034 4 years ago

Santa put this in my stocking this year![quoted image]

I'm getting a standard game.If I wasn't so cheap,I'd order the Flyers versus the Penguins for my new game. My son in law hates the Penguins and he said he wouldn't play if he had to be the Penquins. I'm going to surprise him and wear a Penguins jersey when we play.

#2035 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I'm getting a standard game.If I wasn't so cheap,I'd order the Flyers versus the Penguins for my new game. My son in law hates the Penguins and he said he wouldn't play if he had to be the Penquins. I'm going to surprise him and where a Penguins jersey when we play.

Theres nothing wrong with the standard game at all and you will save yourself about five or six hundred dollars. It plays exactly the same as all the other games and when you are playing you will care less if you are the Penguins vs the Flyers or the red or blue team. Congrats!

#2036 4 years ago
    Quoted from SNES:

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions. First, does anyone sell the cup holders that mount with the two bolts on the top of the corners? I was going to have my brother in law 3D print some, but he was looking for a file to go off of and I don’t have anything. I’d like something solid to cover the corners because the previous owners would sit their cigarettes on the corners and there are some brown burn marks.
    Second, when my puck ejects it always shoots toward one side and sometimes scores on the goal. My model doesn’t have the setting to turn down the strength of the launcher. Any ideas on what I could do to have it pop straight up instead?
    Thanks guys, loving this thing!!

What model you have? I have the OG 1983 chexx and it always shoots toward the away team and ends up in front of the goalie.

#2037 4 years ago
    Quoted from 1983Chexx:

What model you have? I have the OG 1983 chexx and it always shoots toward the away team and ends up in front of the goalie.

Mine is a Super Chexx, 1996 I believe. It’s super annoying when it launches straight into the goal on the Canadian side haha

#2038 4 years ago

Anyone know how to order The Stick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ITK9bsw_6kI&feature=emb_logo

I do not see it offered in The Store and they have not returned The Email.

#2039 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I had 3 of them where the washer came up and stayed stuck on my players and in return put two small cracks in my ice unfortunately. You cant really see them but I'm not too happy about it. I can see right now that its probably a good idea to buy some spare parts. I could not believe how hard it was to get my players loose from the playfield.

I have a table hockey game,and the ice cracked on me. I put a small amount of crazy glue on it to fix the crack. I was very careful, and I applied a very small amount,so that it wouldn't interfere with play or be visible.
    I'm not sure what the ice looks like on a super chexx but maybe it would work on your super chexx ice?

41KMpDrcYGL._AC_SY400_ML3_ (resized).jpg41KMpDrcYGL._AC_SY400_ML3_ (resized).jpg
    #2040 4 years ago

So if I’m going to have to pull out all the players once I get the new game, would it be easy to just cut each of the washers and replace them with new ones?

I haven’t had a Super Chexx before so I’m trying to picture what you’re describing. It sounds like you’re trying to get the players off without the circular washer below them coming up and damaging the ice, right?

Based on this thread I asked if they could ship it without the guys attached - since I’m going to be swapping the ice out right away - but they said they can’t.

#2041 4 years ago

So if I’m going to have to pull out all the players once I get the new game, would it be easy to just cut each of the washers and replace them with new ones?
    I haven’t had a Super Chexx before so I’m trying to picture what you’re describing. It sounds like you’re trying to get the players off without the circular washer below them coming up and damaging the ice, right?
    Based on this thread I asked if they could ship it without the guys attached - since I’m going to be swapping the ice out right away - but they said they can’t.

The washer sits on top of the gearbox "under" a metal rail or channel. What is suppose to happen is when you pull the player off of the playfield that washer is being held in place by the metal channel or whatever (I dont know what to call it) that holds it and the gearbox in place, but the plastic washers sometimes will bend and come out of that channel.

You are pulling on the player with such force trying to get them to break loose that once it breaks loose the player which has the washer still attached to the shaft comes up through the metal channel and then hits the bottom of the ice. The problem is this happens really fast because you are pulling on the player with all your might pretty much and once it breaks loose it's hard to stop it from doing damage because you are pulling so hard on the player.

Me personally knowing what I do now, I would just enjoy your game and not worry about getting a custom ice done. Another thing you could do would be to order a new ice and ship that to the place that customizes it.

#2042 4 years ago

I actually don't even have the washers installed on my original chexx. Occasionally a player will fall out but it's pretty rare.

#2043 4 years ago

I don't own a super chexx yet,but is there enough space to fit a small pry bar under the player to pry the player out of the gear box? Maybe you could place a thin piece of metal on the ice,to protect it, while you are prying the player up. Id also put a little tape on the prybar so you don't scratch the player.
    I have no idea how much space is between the player and the ice,so this idea might not even work,just a thought.
    I have a five inch prybar that I use for lifting small pieces of trim.

31a1VDNpRcL._AC_SY400_ML3_ (resized).jpg31a1VDNpRcL._AC_SY400_ML3_ (resized).jpg
    #2044 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I don't own a super chexx yet,but is there enough space to fit a small pry bar under the player to pry the player out of the gear box? Maybe you could place a thin piece of metal on the ice,to protect it, while you are prying the player up. Id also put a little tape on the prybar so you don't scratch the player.
    I have no idea how much space is between the player and the ice,so this idea might not even work,just a thought.
    I have a five inch prybar that I use for lifting small pieces of trim.[quoted image]

No you wouldnt want to do that for sure. Also u have to pull straight up on the player and that there would pull him out at an angle.

#2045 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

No you wouldnt want to do that for sure. Also u have to pull straight up on the player and that there would pull him out at an angle.

I'd try the flatend of the prybar,I agree that the goose neck end might pry it on an angle. Once it budges,it might be set free to pull with your hand? Once I get my game,I'll give it a shot,if needed.

#2046 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I'd try the flatend of the prybar,I agree that the goose neck end might pry it on an angle. Once it budges,it might be set free to pull with your hand? Once I get my game,I'll give it a shot,if needed.

I would just be afraid that I would put too much pressure on the ice and break it. New ice is 150 dollars plus shipping.

#2047 4 years ago

Is there any suggestions for ordering extra parts when I order my new game? It looks like extra washers would be a good idea.
    Thanks in advance

#2048 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Is there any suggestions for ordering extra parts when I order my new game? It looks like extra washers would be a good idea.
    Thanks in advance

You can order every single piece to the game on their website but sometimes they dont make it easy to find them all. You can order single players down to any screw that is used on the game. Sometimes you just have to search for it different ways like "cheapest first" or "most expensive " etc but it's all there trust me.

I ordered like 20 of the plastic washers, a couple of gearboxes and just miscellaneous stuff that i may or may not ever use. I'm gonna stock up on some stuff though with the idea if something breaks I can have it fixed in a few minutes in case there's people over wanting to play.

#2049 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I would just be afraid that I would put too much pressure on the ice and break it. New ice is 150 dollars plus shipping.

Good point,I have 1/16 stainless steel plates that I would lay on the ice to spread the load,and take the pressure off of the ice.
    You're probably right, since I don't have a game to look at ,and maybe this is a bad idea?
    I'll be ordering my game January 7th!

#2050 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Good point,I have 1/16 stainless steel plates that I would lay on the ice to spread the load,and take the pressure off of the ice.
    You're probably right, since I don't have a game to look at ,and maybe this is a bad idea?
    I'll be ordering my game January 7th!

It may work, I'm definitely not saying that it wont. Heck I hope that it does because these players are a bitch to pull out.

There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/41 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.