Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 63.
    #151 10 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

I know Super Chexx is the gold standard, but has anyone ever had any experience with the Carrom bubble hockey machines available at Amazon and other places?

I have a Carrom that I bought like 8 years ago. Kids and I use it all the time. I've never had a problem with it and still works great today. I've played Super Chexx too and there is no doubt that build quality is better than on the Carrom. However, at the time I didn't have as much disposable cash and $2k+ wasn't going to happen. Don't regret getting the Carrom - if I was faced with the same decision today with a bit more disposable cash I might go with the Super Chexx, but the price disparity is definitely something to take into account.

Scott

100415 Game Room 04.jpg100415 Game Room 04.jpg
    #152 10 years ago

Bubble Heads this close to me(Warminster) and I don't even know it. I need to get out of my game room more often!-Joe

DSC04202.JPGDSC04202.JPG
    DSC04224.JPGDSC04224.JPG

#153 10 years ago
    Quoted from toyboy6:

I have a Carrom that I bought like 8 years ago. Kids and I use it all the time. I've never had a problem with it and still works great today. I've played Super Chexx too and there is no doubt that build quality is better than on the Carrom. However, at the time I didn't have as much disposable cash and $2k+ wasn't going to happen. Don't regret getting the Carrom - if I was faced with the same decision today with a bit more disposable cash I might go with the Super Chexx, but the price disparity is definitely something to take into account.

Thanks for the reply! I'm really torn. Have the $$$ and like the bells and whistles of the Super Chexx, but if I go with the Carrom, I could justify adding a real nice MAME unit or $2k pin to my springtime purchase pretty easily (i.e. without too much of a fight from the wife).

By the way...great game room! Love the stools under the pins. Reminds me when my boys couldn't play without them.

#154 10 years ago

Check out the one I have which is made by Halex and NHL sponsored. Way less and still extremely fun. Also you can have face offs in your own end, real metal goals and nets, and glass boards.

image-407.jpgimage-407.jpg
    #155 10 years ago
    Quoted from neverahighscore:

Bubble Heads this close to me(Warminster) and I don't even know it. I need to get out of my game room more often!-Joe

DSC04224.JPG 201 KB

DSC04202.JPG 260 KB

Since I am a pens fan I would think of that 66 as the one and only Super Mario when playing you.

#156 10 years ago
    Quoted from neverahighscore:

DSC04224.JPG 201 KB

DSC04202.JPG 260 KB

Nice room! Had to google Greenville, your about 45 minutes away, give or take 10, depending on traffic. I have family that use to live in Quakertown. They've since moved to Sellersville.

#157 10 years ago

How can I argue that! Maybe that 66 will distract you and then I could have a 12-0 shutout!-Joe

#158 10 years ago

Just picked up a super nice one, finally!
    image-143.jpgimage-143.jpg

#159 10 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

Score!

I hope one turns up in my area before I shell out $2400 for a new one.

1 month later
    #160 9 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

image-143.jpg 178 KB

Bubble looks different on this one. seems higher than most.

1 week later
    #161 9 years ago

I'm in the club! Bought new from the factory.
    SuperChexx1.jpgSuperChexx1.jpg

#162 9 years ago

I wanted to switch the game from red vs. blue to USA vs. USSR (kinda like the original Chexx) so I bought the player sets and replaced them in the game. The problem I'm having is that the sticks of many of the players rub on the ice surface now.

It looks like the players' feet float above the surface at the same height as the original (factory) players so that doesn't seem to be a problem. The plastic washers are all in place. Any ideas on what I can adjust? At this point it seems like I either need to somehow have the players float higher above the ice or change the angle of the sticks.

#163 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballYeti:

I'm in the club! Bought new from the factory.

SuperChexx1.jpg 50 KB

Did you get the one with the split base?

Looks great, by the way. Can't wait to pick one up this fall, and the shiny, new goodness of yours is making me think I should go new instead of used.

#164 9 years ago
    Quoted from haiderdj:

I know that Chexx is the supreme brand, but what's the general feeling on other brands of bubble hockey?
    Are there specific brands that are OK, or particular ones to stay away from?

We used to sell other brands because they were much cheaper, but really, wait and get the real thing. The rest that I have seen are pretty junky.

#165 9 years ago

Anyone looking for a used CHEXX machine check out ebay.com link: itm

If you are interested the seller, who I have no affiliation with, is not too far from me so I can help get it shipped or whatever you need to complete the transaction!

#166 9 years ago

Found a '94 Super Chexx for a great price so, with a heavy heart, I sold my nice '83 Canada -vs- Russia to my bro-in-law down the street.

This was my first attempt at painting the players and took much longer than I anticipated. Therapeutic.

The jersey logos were updated using transparent water-slide decal paper. You might notice the USA team now has the '88-'94 logo and the stick in Canada's logo is now black, instead of the original all-red. Please note I added decals to the goalies' sticks too.

Pics attached are before Krylon Crystal Clear clear-coat. I really hope the paint keeps after CC because the acrylics I used rub off very easily.

Anyway, I'm pleased with my first attempt, hope the paint lasts, but would likely buy newer/whiter players should I eventually make a Toronto -vs- Montreal set. Also, I would add the names and appropriate numbers to the player's backs.

I also added sponsor logos to the 'boards'.

Good fun; great game.

Super.Chexx_Goalies_20140408_170855.jpgSuper.Chexx_Goalies_20140408_170855.jpg Super.Chexx_Players_20140408_170928.jpgSuper.Chexx_Players_20140408_170928.jpg Super.Chexx_sponsors_20140428_110121.jpgSuper.Chexx_sponsors_20140428_110121.jpg Super.Chexx_sponsors_20140428_110056.jpgSuper.Chexx_sponsors_20140428_110056.jpg 20140403_203624.jpg20140403_203624.jpg
    #167 9 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Did you get the one with the split base?

No, I went with the solid base. I have 32" doors so I figured I'd be fine according to the ICE website. It ended up being really easy to get the base through the doors once you figure out the angle to take.

#168 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballYeti:

No, I went with the solid base. I have 32" doors so I figured I'd be fine according to the ICE website. It ended up being really easy to get the base through the doors once you figure out the angle to take.

Congratulations. What players are those? They look like USA v. Russia.

#170 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ozzie:

What players are those? They look like USA v. Russia.

Yes, they are the 1980 version of the USA and USSR (CCCP) teams. I always liked the original Chexx (USA vs. Russia) over the later Super Chexx (USA vs. Canada) so I wanted to sort of recreate the USA vs. Russia game. I also bought the stickers for the scoreboard so instead of Home vs. Away it will be USA vs. USSR.

#171 9 years ago

I have a warehouse full of games that change as we are working on them, we play super chexx the most. The best way to take a break from work.

3 weeks later
    #172 9 years ago

I have one i will be selling soon.

1 week later
    #173 9 years ago

My Super Chexx complete! 1980 U.S. vs. U.S.S.R. players. I used a hair dryer to heat up the sticks of the players that were rubbing and then bent up the sticks to get the clearance I needed.
    SC1.jpgSC1.jpg

#174 9 years ago

im in the market for one. n/e pa.

1 week later
    #175 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChadNC:

Links are no good anymore . Just ebay

The jumbotrons are made by IAX. Do an eBay search for "IAX NHL" and you'll find them. They also make an octagon one which looks cool, but for Joe Louis Arena, the square one is more authentic. Go Wings!!

#176 9 years ago

For anyone who's interested, ICE is trying to sell a used one via their FB page today.

Not a bad deal if a "split base" isn't a requirement to get it where you need it.

https://www.facebook.com/SuperChexx

#177 9 years ago

For all of you bubble hockey fans... Doc Emrick did a play-by-play call of a bubble hockey game between various NHL stars. Pretty cool.

http://deadspin.com/doc-emrick-calls-play-by-play-for-nhlers-playing-bubble-1595677570

1 month later
    #178 9 years ago

I finally picked one up a few weeks ago. I love this game, the kids and I have spent a ton of time playing it together!
    From what I understand this was a limited quantity run for a larger dealer up here in Alberta, I've never seen another with a white base. I'm thinking about ordering the NHL kit with Oilers vs Flames, the white will go well with the Oilers logo and colors image-891.jpgimage-891.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#179 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cam:

I finally picked one up a few weeks ago. I love this game, the kids and I have spent a ton of time playing it together!
    From what I understand this was a limited quantity run for a larger dealer up here in Alberta, I've never seen another with a white base. I'm thinking about ordering the NHL kit with Oilers vs Flames, the white will go well with the Oilers logo and colors

But then the Oilers side will Always lose!!

Hey Cam, Nice pick up! Cool game!

Dave

#180 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

But then the Oilers side will Always lose!!
    Hey Cam, Nice pick up! Cool game!
    Dave

Hi Dave! Boo Flames Thanks, were hockey nuts, so it fits well in the basement!

#181 9 years ago

I bought a Super Chexx in pieces. Does anybody have any pics under the ice, so I can get everything back together. Anybody have any "like new" player sets for sale? Does anybody work on the circuit boards? Any websites to get custom decals from? Thanks.

#182 9 years ago

I played one of these years ago and would love to again, but they are extremely rare in Australia.

#183 9 years ago

Anyone know where to pickup the main PCB for the original CHEXX? Where a good used one is? Anyone that fixes them?

#184 9 years ago

Question... the sound on my Super Chexx is really scratchy/static-y. When I used to play this in a bar/arcade I don't remember the sound being that bad. I've tried cleaning and reconnecting the speakers, and have also tried hooking up a spare set of speakers I had out of an old TV, but neither of those seemed to help. I've also replaced the power cord with a properly grounded one, but that hasn't helped either.

Is the sound really that bad on these? Or, do I have something else going on like a bad/dirty pot that needs replacing?

2 weeks later
    #185 9 years ago
    Quoted from bleargh:

Question... the sound on my Super Chexx is really scratchy/static-y. When I used to play this in a bar/arcade I don't remember the sound being that bad. I've tried cleaning and reconnecting the speakers, and have also tried hooking up a spare set of speakers I had out of an old TV, but neither of those seemed to help. I've also replaced the power cord with a properly grounded one, but that hasn't helped either.
    Is the sound really that bad on these? Or, do I have something else going on like a bad/dirty pot that needs replacing?

Pull the Sound Board chip out and look for pins that are bent/not in proper slots. That was an issue with my game straight from the factory in 2001. I thought it was the speakers or speaker wires. ICE Support told me the same. Did the same things as you have so far. I played it that way for years until one day I decided to look at the boards closer. Bent pins on the sound chip. Let me know if thats the issue.

#186 9 years ago

Finished restoring my Super Chexx. Took me a while, as I was doing it off and for months. Here's some pics of the players before and after.
    IMG_20140329_132038_987.jpgIMG_20140329_132038_987.jpg
    IMG_20140329_132032_103.jpgIMG_20140329_132032_103.jpg
    And the rest before and after
    IMG_20140827_183932_412-967.jpgIMG_20140827_183932_412-967.jpgIMG_20140827_183920_608.jpgIMG_20140827_183920_608.jpgIMG_20140827_183911_814.jpgIMG_20140827_183911_814.jpgIMG_20140329_132129_561.jpgIMG_20140329_132129_561.jpgIMG_20140228_200958_375.jpgIMG_20140228_200958_375.jpg
    Can you tell what theme I went with

#187 9 years ago

Somehow the pictures went out of order. Don't know how, sorry bout that.

#188 9 years ago
    Quoted from vilant:

Finished restoring my Super Chexx. Took me a while, as I was doing it off and for months. Here's some pics of the players before and after.

And the rest before and after

Can you tell what theme I went with

IMG_20140329_132038_987.jpg 121 KB

IMG_20140329_132032_103.jpg 119 KB

IMG_20140228_200958_375.jpg 148 KB

IMG_20140329_132129_561.jpg 140 KB

IMG_20140827_183911_814.jpg 131 KB

IMG_20140827_183920_608.jpg 142 KB

IMG_20140827_183932_412-967.jpg 132 KB

Nice make a set for your rival my team The Pens!

#189 9 years ago
    Quoted from Muscle_cars_only:

Anyone know where to pickup the main PCB for the original CHEXX? Where a good used one is? Anyone that fixes them?

Call Chexx, they were able to repair mine after I recapped the entire board and put in new roms and ICs. It had a broken trace somewhere in the pcb.

#190 9 years ago

Where do you buy the boards that go all around the ice?

#191 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Nice make a set for your rival my team The Pens!

That was actually what I was going to do originally, but I opted for The Russians.

Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

Where do you buy the boards that go all around the ice?

Here: http://www.icegame.com/c-22-super-chexx.aspx

#192 9 years ago

I just joined the club yesterday. Super Chexx with only 16 plays....painted as Gophers vs Fighting Sioux. Want to buy another set of guys and paint as North Stars vs Blackhawks at the old Met

20140831_101403.jpg20140831_101403.jpg
    #193 9 years ago

I'd like to join the club

Anyone around the Albany Ny and surrounding area have one they are looking to sell? If so, feel free to PM me.

Paul

#194 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

I just joined the club yesterday. Super Chexx with only 16 plays....painted as Gophers vs Fighting Sioux. Want to buy another set of guys and paint as North Stars vs Blackhawks at the old Met

20140831_101403.jpg 103 KB

Gophers vs the Sioux would be cool. If you want to get rid of those let me know - I could take them off your hands.

#195 9 years ago
    Quoted from lost8ball:

Gophers vs the Sioux would be cool. If you want to get rid of those let me know - I could take them off your hands.

I agree. Either that or badgers vs gophers.

Chris

#196 9 years ago
    Quoted from ff6735:

I'd like to join the club
    Anyone around the Albany Ny and surrounding area have one they are looking to sell? If so, feel free to PM me.
    Paul

*Sigh* I'm thinking of selling mine, only because it hardly ever gets used. I've had it for about 10 years, and I swear if it's had 100 plays I'd be shocked. It's in absolutely perfect condition. But I LOVE it.

Somebody talk me out of it...

#197 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyboy6:

Scott

100415 Game Room 04.jpg 182 KB

Thanks for posting that! My gf is big into hockey, and after pinheadpuckguy got one, I've been thinking it would be fun. I didn't know they had these. I'll be looking out for a used one!

#198 9 years ago

I want another one so I can put it in a road case and take it on tour.

chris

#199 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

I want another one so I can put it in a road case and take it on tour.
    chris

A "second" road case? The ACDC isn't cutting it?

Would love to pick up a used SuperChexx...otherwise by Xmas, I'm not sure I'll be able to talk myself out of a new one.

#200 9 years ago

Ha. Oh AC/DC is killing it. It's so fun. I really love how fast it plays over the LE.

Chris

There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.