Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 63.
    #1601 4 years ago

Anyone see the new collegiate editions yet? Pretty neat but seem quite expensive. Plus, seems like poor timing to wait until after the Frozen Four has come and gone.

https://www.bringhomethedome.com/product/15/collegiate-edition-super-chexx-pro

#1602 4 years ago

Selling one for $1200. Located in RI.

#1603 4 years ago

If they did a football game that would rock

1 week later
    #1604 4 years ago

I know the "dome buffing" topic has come up before, but I wanted to reach out before I tackle this one. Has anyone done Novus 3 then Novus 2? I was wondering if Novus 3 was too abrasive since ICE only sells Novus 2? My entire dome has some swirl-type scratches throughout. It's like someone cleaned it the wrong way before I got it. It doesn't affect gameplay, it's just not as clear as it could be.

Also, if anyone has any other good technique, feel free to let me know. I remember some folks talking about using an auto buffer, and others who said it's a lot of elbow grease work.

I'd love to buy a new dome, but not when the shipping costs around the same as the product .... I think a new dome from Buffalo to Chicago area would be around $700 all-in

Thanks in advance!

#1605 4 years ago

Got a very nice Bubble Hockey for sale or trade for a pinball if anyone is interested in joining the club. PM details $2Kish

#1606 4 years ago
    Quoted from chefbenito:

I know the "dome buffing" topic has come up before, but I wanted to reach out before I tackle this one. Has anyone done Novus 3 then Novus 2? I was wondering if Novus 3 was too abrasive since ICE only sells Novus 2? My entire dome has some swirl-type scratches throughout. It's like someone cleaned it the wrong way before I got it. It doesn't affect gameplay, it's just not as clear as it could be.
    Also, if anyone has any other good technique, feel free to let me know. I remember some folks talking about using an auto buffer, and others who said it's a lot of elbow grease work.
    I'd love to buy a new dome, but not when the shipping costs around the same as the product .... I think a new dome from Buffalo to Chicago area would be around $700 all-in
    Thanks in advance!

do not use novus 3 to harsh. use novus 2 and a drill with attachment, it will buff out 90% of your scratches.

1 week later
    #1607 4 years ago

Where’s the best place to purchase Chexx Boston Bruins players for my game?

#1608 4 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

You can get them direct from ICE. Icegame.com

#1609 4 years ago

And the ice ones seem to hold up nicely

#1610 4 years ago

Added to my local brewery a month ago. Everyone’s thrilled

5F31CA2A-7299-45A2-881C-3C40B5623AC3 (resized).jpeg5F31CA2A-7299-45A2-881C-3C40B5623AC3 (resized).jpegAC272240-A62B-4D55-A2FC-FE4A74568CED (resized).jpegAC272240-A62B-4D55-A2FC-FE4A74568CED (resized).jpeg
    #1611 4 years ago

I am having a problem with the puck not rolling down to the middle after a goal is scored. I have taken the game apart and cleaned the ramps, but it still get stuck. Do I simply need to get a new puck or is it more than that?

#1612 4 years ago
    Quoted from kinzebac:

I am having a problem with the puck not rolling down to the middle after a goal is scored. I have taken the game apart and cleaned the ramps, but it still get stuck. Do I simply need to get a new puck or is it more than that?

When you took it apart did you run the puck through both nets to see where it was getting hung up? Is it happening on both sides or just one?

#1613 4 years ago

New Kixx made its way to Starport! Much improved from the previous versions.

20190526_235112 (resized).jpg20190526_235112 (resized).jpg
    #1614 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

New Kixx made its way to Starport! Much improved from the previous versions.[quoted image]

So glad they brought that back. With its worldwide appeal, I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner!

#1615 4 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

So glad they brought that back. With its worldwide appeal, I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner!

Previously the models of Kixx did not play as well as this new unit. It's a much more polished game currently than in the past.

#1616 4 years ago

I just picked up a Super Chexx in disappointing condition.
    Any way of cleaning the yellowing?
    Why would the coin door be hacked like this?
    Do I have to drill out the rivets to clean up this hinge stain?
    How much hiss is acceptable during an on but not playing situation?

Any help is really appreciated.

E0101599-56F6-4BD9-AF65-461478B5BE5A (resized).jpegE0101599-56F6-4BD9-AF65-461478B5BE5A (resized).jpeg
    #1617 4 years ago

Retrobright would probably take the yellowing out. I have an extra ice that I would sell you at a decent price if you were local. Can't answer the coin door question but you shouldn't be hearing hissing at all.

#1618 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

New Kixx made its way to Starport! Much improved from the previous versions.[quoted image]

Man that thing looks sweet! I can't believe the price on those things I just looked it up.. I'll still have to get one down the road.

#1619 4 years ago

You can buy new deflectors directly from Ice, but they are super white and will look out of place compared to an aged ice surface if you can't get it nice and white... speaking from experience.

Search their parts for "ICE SURFACE":

https://www.icegame.com/category/22/super-chexx#parts

D-FLECTOR (ICE SURFACE)
    RAMP (ICE SURFACE)

#1620 4 years ago
    Quoted from kinzebac:

do you have an original chexx?

Bah someone posted the issue and fix. My original chexx does this as well. He installed washers as spacers to make sure when the puck rolls down, it doesn't jump/hop the other side.

#1621 4 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

Man that thing looks sweet! I can't believe the price on those things I just looked it up.. I'll still have to get one down the road.

They are very pricey. They made a great product this time around so I will be monitoring the earnings closely to see if the value is there. People really are digging it currently and our Chexx is also a Starport favorite.

#1622 4 years ago

Hi All! I'm so happy to have found this community, tons of great information here. This looked to be the best place to post this, but if there is another place that would be better, please do let me know.

I have an original CX-83 Chexx machine that has been in my family since the 80s. Unfortunately it has very much seen better days but we're working on restoring it to its former glory. The machine powers up, the game starts, the puck pops out. One of the goals and "ooohh" sensors works. The scoreboard is not working, but the light is, so I've ordered a new ribbon cable and am hoping that fixes it.

The biggest issue we have is that some of the wiring under the ice is frayed or completely severed. Primarily both boo/eject buttons and one of the goal sensors are not operational.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where we can get an original wire harness kit for this machine? I spoke with I.C.E. and they only carry Super Chexx and above, not the original Chexx machine. Their suggestion to me was to rewire from scratch, which we are open to trying, but would ideally prefer to swap in a new harness if possible. If not, any suggestions you folks may have on how to rebuild the harness from scratch would be greatly appreciated! We do have the original wiring diagrams but have minimal electrical experience.

Thank you and if anyone needs more information please do let me know.

#1623 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Looks sweet Chris

#1624 4 years ago
    Quoted from ChestRockwell:

Hi All! I'm so happy to have found this community, tons of great information here. This looked to be the best place to post this, but if there is another place that would be better, please do let me know.
    I have an original CX-83 Chexx machine that has been in my family since the 80s. Unfortunately it has very much seen better days but we're working on restoring it to its former glory. The machine powers up, the game starts, the puck pops out. One of the goals and "ooohh" sensors works. The scoreboard is not working, but the light is, so I've ordered a new ribbon cable and am hoping that fixes it.
    The biggest issue we have is that some of the wiring under the ice is frayed or completely severed. Primarily both boo/eject buttons and one of the goal sensors are not operational.
    Does anyone have any suggestions of where we can get an original wire harness kit for this machine? I spoke with I.C.E. and they only carry Super Chexx and above, not the original Chexx machine. Their suggestion to me was to rewire from scratch, which we are open to trying, but would ideally prefer to swap in a new harness if possible. If not, any suggestions you folks may have on how to rebuild the harness from scratch would be greatly appreciated! We do have the original wiring diagrams but have minimal electrical experience.
    Thank you and if anyone needs more information please do let me know.

I had frayed wires. Replaced the ribbon cable but honestly just running new wire isn’t a big deal. A new harness isn’t needed. If it is just at the hole to the base, just splice it and cover the hole edge. I also cable managed so the wires and ribbon were kept lower than the player rods

#1625 4 years ago

I Have A Superchexx Built Around 2000 that has a Scoreboard Issue. It Plays Great, All Goals And Shots On Goal Record Correctly. It’s set to free play. The problem is after completion of the second game, The “Time Display” section of the scoreboard will Display a “P” After The Game Is Finished. After each additional game I’ve Seen “L”, “H”, And A Few Other Single Letters Show Up In The Time Display. Is This Normal? If So, What Do The Letters Mean? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#1626 4 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

When you took it apart did you run the puck through both nets to see where it was getting hung up? Is it happening on both sides or just one?

It is just one side. I tried a new puck and that has not worked. I am guessing that I need to replace the ramp?

#1627 4 years ago
    Quoted from kinzebac:

It is just one side. I tried a new puck and that has not worked. I am guessing that I need to replace the ramp?

not unless its bent, prob just needs a good cleaning.

#1628 4 years ago

Has anyone ever sent in their 3rd generation PCB to ICE to upgrade to the 4th generation PCB with the daughter board? Was the sound improved enough to recommend doing this?

#1629 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

not unless its bent, prob just needs a good cleaning.

I cleaned it pretty good. I am wondering if the ramp needs new tape by the puck ejector?

#1630 4 years ago
    Quoted from kinzebac:

I cleaned it pretty good. I am wondering if the ramp needs new tape by the puck ejector?

Fixed it. Needed new tape to hold the end of it down by the puck ejector.

#1631 4 years ago

So a couple years ago after the Stanley Cup, ICE made the Penguins players available for something like $30 to commemorate their victory. Is this something ICE does every year for the winner's set? Any insight?

Thanks - Ryan

#1632 4 years ago

Price Chex on an original. Good: it plays fine and is in working condition. Bad: Ramps are taped, one grip has stop cut off, right forwards will need gears at some point but still playable, and dome has a crack. I’m in Dayton Ohio area! Thx.

15B17077-A6A5-4194-901B-113FE1DD87BD (resized).jpeg15B17077-A6A5-4194-901B-113FE1DD87BD (resized).jpeg18244172-5E13-428A-B536-F09369491985 (resized).jpeg18244172-5E13-428A-B536-F09369491985 (resized).jpeg6CC973E9-B80D-43D3-88B6-D6CD39BA0A9C (resized).jpeg6CC973E9-B80D-43D3-88B6-D6CD39BA0A9C (resized).jpegA208B382-4E26-4C41-B4D3-2B903FBCFDA9 (resized).jpegA208B382-4E26-4C41-B4D3-2B903FBCFDA9 (resized).jpegBED04BB8-E012-4C11-A0CE-E13536B56523 (resized).jpegBED04BB8-E012-4C11-A0CE-E13536B56523 (resized).jpegC8F329EF-D796-41E2-BB51-CFAB362942A4 (resized).jpegC8F329EF-D796-41E2-BB51-CFAB362942A4 (resized).jpegCE3F3457-966E-464E-ABFE-A20052FC786E (resized).jpegCE3F3457-966E-464E-ABFE-A20052FC786E (resized).jpeg
    #1633 4 years ago

Dome is $325 plus shipping. Gear boxes are $15.95 each. Depending on the ice surface itself, new plastic ramps can be installed cheap. Bummer on the handle grip being ripped. Those red grips, believe it or not, are unobtanium. At least they have been for many years.

If all the items you mentioned as bad were fixed and no other problems....I would say it’s a $1000-1200 game, depending on where you live maybe $1500. As it sits, $750 is what I’d be willing to pay.

Some reasons why it’s considered a lower valued game than the Super Chexx are: 1) some of the parts are no longer supported by chexx. Mainly the scoreboard, but there is an aftermarket solution; 2) the soundtrack isn't as deep as newer models; 3) the players have plastic posts and can strip. Newer games and replacement players have metal posts.

#1634 4 years ago

I am upgrading my super Chexx so I’ll have a few parts for sale. Nice condition dome. Scoreboard (Flyers vs Penguins) and ice surface (Wayne Gretzky bubble boy theme). Ice surface has cracks near each goalie track because previous owner had no idea how to remove it.

#1635 4 years ago

$1,000 IMHO

#1636 4 years ago
    Quoted from Roundhead:

I Have A Superchexx Built Around 2000 that has a Scoreboard Issue. It Plays Great, All Goals And Shots On Goal Record Correctly. It’s set to free play. The problem is after completion of the second game, The “Time Display” section of the scoreboard will Display a “P” After The Game Is Finished. After each additional game I’ve Seen “L”, “H”, And A Few Other Single Letters Show Up In The Time Display. Is This Normal? If So, What Do The Letters Mean? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

So mine does the exact same thing. Mine was built in 1999. Mine also only has 8 programmable options and is missing 9, the option to change puck strength. I have had a devil of a time trying to figure out how to increase puck ejection strength without the 9th option.

2 weeks later
    #1637 4 years ago

Can someone post a high res or scanned image from the original AHA shild logo?

#1638 4 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

might want to put some Stanley cup champions st. louis blues on there too?????

#1639 4 years ago

PS, do someone know source for "playfiled snow bumps" behind the net and on the corner?
    I plan to make a new ice field, but i need to find those parts.
    I thinking on 3D reprint, but the shape is complicated a bit. Also for the net base looking weak and cheap.
    Any known thicker or better product out there? I fear to buy a new wich Will be same weak too. So shoud wort a print on that too..

#1640 4 years ago
    Quoted from zuhi:

PS, do someone know source for "playfiled snow bumps" behind the net and on the corner?
    I plan to make a new ice field, but i need to find those parts.
    I thinking on 3D reprint, but the shape is complicated a bit. Also for the net base looking weak and cheap.
    Any known thicker or better product out there? I fear to buy a new wich Will be same weak too. So shoud wort a print on that too..

Quoted from roar:

You can buy new deflectors directly from Ice, but they are super white and will look out of place compared to an aged ice surface if you can't get it nice and white... speaking from experience.
    Search their parts for "ICE SURFACE":
    https://www.icegame.com/category/22/super-chexx#parts
    D-FLECTOR (ICE SURFACE)
    RAMP (ICE SURFACE)

#1641 4 years ago

at ice website search did not find but an another try with google i found at suzo's site.
    https://na.suzohapp.com/products/darts_and_foosball/3011

But it looks a bit different not is bumpy as seen on my 83s game. Serial is 12581 so should be the earlier ones. I do not know later this thing changed in shape or not.

#1642 4 years ago
    Quoted from zuhi:

at ice website search did not find but an another try with google i found at suzo's site.
    https://na.suzohapp.com/products/darts_and_foosball/3011
    But it looks a bit different not is bumpy as seen on my 83s game. Serial is 12581 so should be the earlier ones. I do not know later this thing changed in shape or not.

The ice part numbers are SC3011 and SC3018 if you search their parts site. They should fit all models.

#1643 4 years ago

With partnumber search found them! Thanks.
    I still hunting for a reasonable image from the A.H.A. logo, to i can redraw it in c.draw.
    Ohh also need its measurements too and its position along the side.
    My game missed all 4! so i only can rework the main logo and the flag logo, and serial sticker. Also the boo and patent decals too.
    Hope an owner can provide this infos.

2 weeks later
    #1644 4 years ago

I have a 1983 Chexx with a fried pcb board, where the scoreboard cable plugs into (top 2 pins) and also the U8 IC. Any hope for repairing this board? From what I am hearing from repair guys the answer is no. Talking to Chexx mods about their upgrade, but what would it take (and cost) to convert to a super chexx with a new board and scoreboard if that is possible? Just looking at my options to weigh the costs. Thanks

blown board (resized).jpgblown board (resized).jpg
    #1645 4 years ago

I think the burnt connector is an easy fix. Two options: Replace all the pins, or just what you miss.
    But in both way, you had to drill or pokeout the holes to get the new pins in, and solder them to their traces if needed with a little wire if the soldering point damaged.

For u8, it had to be replaced. A socket had to be installed, and the socket legs need to be connected to the traces with the above method if soldering pads damaged. And install the new ic.

Hope it helps.

#1646 4 years ago
    Quoted from zuhi:

I think the burnt connector is an easy fix. Two options: Replace all the pins, or just what you miss.
    But in both way, you had to drill or pokeout the holes to get the new pins in, and solder them to their traces if needed with a little wire if the soldering point damaged.
    For u8, it had to be replaced. A socket had to be installed, and the socket legs need to be connected to the traces with the above method if soldering pads damaged. And install the new ic.
    Hope it helps.

Thanks, I am going to give it a shot.

#1647 4 years ago
    Quoted from shumard76:

Thanks, I am going to give it a shot.

The schematic for the 83 chexx boards are on here, just search the page for "Chexx CPU Board Architecture.": http://pinrepair.com/arcade/chexx.htm
    It looks like your burned up chip is a SN7417N.

#1648 4 years ago
    Quoted from shumard76:

I have a 1983 Chexx with a fried pcb board, where the scoreboard cable plugs into (top 2 pins) and also the U8 IC. Any hope for repairing this board? From what I am hearing from repair guys the answer is no. Talking to Chexx mods about their upgrade, but what would it take (and cost) to convert to a super chexx with a new board and scoreboard if that is possible? Just looking at my options to weigh the costs. Thanks[quoted image]

Mine came like this. Remove the connect, CLEAN, the burn (I didn’t) and install a new connector and any fixes. And you’ll be set. Mine blew a fire ball and I had rob Anthony fix it at mgc... he saved the board but was astonished it worked

#1649 4 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

The schematic for the 83 chexx boards are on here, just search the page for "Chexx CPU Board Architecture.": http://pinrepair.com/arcade/chexx.htm
    It looks like your burned up chip is a SN7417N.

Thanks, I bought an old board off ebay for the pins that need to be replaced but the chip number you gave me is a huge help.

#1650 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Mine came like this. Remove the connect, CLEAN, the burn (I didn’t) and install a new connector and any fixes. And you’ll be set. Mine blew a fire ball and I had rob Anthony fix it at mgc... he saved the board but was astonished it worked

Thanks, I will be extremely happy if this works!

There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/33?hl=dougpw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.