Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 63.
    #1551 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

http://gameroominfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/bubble_hockey_picture_5-Large.jpg
    This is my original chexx repainted. I'd embed it but evidently I don't know how, lol.

Looks good! Any other pics of the base? That NHL ice surface isn’t sold by ICE anymore....they said the puck blended in too well and couldn’t see it.

#1552 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Looks good! Any other pics of the base? That NHL ice surface isn’t sold by ICE anymore....they said the puck blended in too well and couldn’t see it.

It does look pretty good, never would have guessed it was a Blue original.

Blitz, I wonder if they hacked up that collar because it had a stripped set screw. I have that problem on one of my guys and its been that way for years because I haven't bought a screw extractor kit or JB welded on an alley key to back it out.

#1553 5 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Blitz, I wonder if they hacked up that collar because it had a stripped set screw. I have that problem on one of my guys and its been that way for years because I haven't bought a screw extractor kit or JB welded on an alley key to back it out.

Those square head screws strip easy if the screw is locked pretty tight. I have two other rod collars that I’m gonna have to replace because the screws are stripped out. I even soaked every screw/bolt down with PB Blaster, but not all broke free cleanly. Making ANOTHER order today for parts. Shipping costs are adding up! Haha! Stripping everything off and deep cleaning under playfield mechanics.

3636F0DD-14B0-43CB-B616-B8AC8906E5AC (resized).jpeg3636F0DD-14B0-43CB-B616-B8AC8906E5AC (resized).jpegB6EEAFB1-FCEE-4B54-A0A6-F6E4C0F01EFF (resized).jpegB6EEAFB1-FCEE-4B54-A0A6-F6E4C0F01EFF (resized).jpegEAC298D1-187B-47E3-93B9-A3499B556234 (resized).jpegEAC298D1-187B-47E3-93B9-A3499B556234 (resized).jpegF222FBFA-4AFB-4DDF-A97E-065CC9D111BD (resized).jpegF222FBFA-4AFB-4DDF-A97E-065CC9D111BD (resized).jpeg
    #1554 5 years ago

How are you removing the stripped ones? Gotta say the dremel idea looks easy enough.

#1555 5 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

How are you removing the stripped ones? Gotta say the dremel idea looks easy enough.

Yes. Dremel cut in the middle.

#1556 5 years ago

I once owned, simultaneously, all three “bubble” games from ICE... Super Chexx, Super Kixx, and the ultra rare, super HUGE...Turbo Drive!
    https://www.undiscoveredclassics.com/and-now-for-something-completely-different/accessorizing-your-vintage-glass-buy-your-own-race-track-turbo-drive-slot-car-arcade/[quoted image]

If you are still in pgh area I just got the turbo drive 2 located at pinball perfection operational again after 18yrs or so of sitting. This past Saturday was the final fix day so it should be ready for regular muesem play now.

I started going there this past fall and pestered owner into letting me work on stuff. Finally he agreed to my volunteer help. This track was one of my goals to get running.

I put the leg work in tracking down info etc. If anyone got any questions on it just ask. I attached a pdf copy of the operating manual and can help you out on cars etc. You can get replacement cars relatively easily.

Turbo Drive Manual2.pdfTurbo Drive Manual2.pdf
    #1557 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mtkst19:

I started going there this past fall and pestered owner

Good of Dan to let you work for free especially since most of his stuff needs attention.

#1558 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Good of Dan to let you work for free especially since most of his stuff needs attention.

Not certain if this was meant to be a dig or not. Either way I'm a pretty laid back person so I'll take it as misscommunication through message. Im not an argumentative person. If I were a dick I wouldnt be offering to help others with what I learned. I'd be trying to profit off it or not offering any info at all.

Dan has been nice to me. Although I will admit he was rough when I 1st met him. After going back few times and building a rapport that wore off.

My curiosity of how stuff works is what progressed into volunteering. I work on high end cars for a living. So my mind is mechanical in nature. I offered my services to him.

As you note dan has a ton of machines. With 300+ machines and 1 full time person some are going to need some tlc. To me that was perfect scenario. I can relate it to my job. If I were a dealer tech I'd work on 1 brand day in/out. Yet at my current job, I work on a variety. In pinball speak- my personal home machines would be dealer. Get profeccient on just those items. Yet going to Dan's I'm learning about a variety of brands. They all work the same. But interesting to me how each company had their own spin on accomplishing end result. No different than a car.

If you are looking for pristine machines and sterile environment this is not the place. But if you are ok with player shape machines and can hang out in an old dodge dealership garage- then it is more than enough. Being I work in a garage, the environment I'm accustomed to.

Only way stuff gets fixed is if people say something. So if you come across an issue bring it to attention. It will get addressed.

The machines I find while playing or someone tells me about an issue I try to fix or let dan know so it can get addressed. Heck I am actively trying to play every machine in the place atleast 1 time and I still havent made my way through. Start on 1 bank work my way through. If I find an issue I take note and try to address it. So to know every issue with that many machines is going to be hard unless you bring it to attention. High traffic machines take precedence over lesser used machines.

Hope this clears the air so we can get off on the right foot. As I'm not trying to burn any bridges or make enemies. In fact i hope to meet you and others in person either there or some other place around town. As I do venture to other places in the city too.

Mike

#1559 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mtkst19:

Not certain if this was meant to be a dig or not. Either way I'm a pretty laid back person so I'll take it as misscommunication through message. Im not an argumentative person. If I were a dick I wouldnt be offering to help others with what I learned. I'd be trying to profit off it or not offering any info at all.
    Dan has been nice to me. Although I will admit he was rough when I 1st met him. After going back few times and building a rapport that wore off.
    My curiosity of how stuff works is what progressed into volunteering. I work on high end cars for a living. So my mind is mechanical in nature. I offered my services to him.
    As you note dan has a ton of machines. With 300+ machines and 1 full time person some are going to need some tlc. To me that was perfect scenario. I can relate it to my job. If I were a dealer tech I'd work on 1 brand day in/out. Yet at my current job, I work on a variety. In pinball speak- my personal home machines would be dealer. Get profeccient on just those items. Yet going to Dan's I'm learning about a variety of brands. They all work the same. But interesting to me how each company had their own spin on accomplishing end result. No different than a car.
    If you are looking for pristine machines and sterile environment this is not the place. But if you are ok with player shape machines and can hang out in an old dodge dealership garage- then it is more than enough. Being I work in a garage, the environment I'm accustomed to.
    Only way stuff gets fixed is if people say something. So if you come across an issue bring it to attention. It will get addressed.
    The machines I find while playing or someone tells me about an issue I try to fix or let dan know so it can get addressed. Heck I am actively trying to play every machine in the place atleast 1 time and I still havent made my way through. Start on 1 bank work my way through. If I find an issue I take note and try to address it. So to know every issue with that many machines is going to be hard unless you bring it to attention. High traffic machines take precedence over lesser used machines.
    Hope this clears the air so we can get off on the right foot. As I'm not trying to burn any bridges or make enemies. In fact i hope to meet you and others in person either there or some other place around town. As I do venture to other places in the city too.
    Mike

Mike, not a dig at all on you or Dan. It's great Dan is letting you work on the machines as having that many machines he needs the help to maintain and get them working.

#1560 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Mike, not a dig at all on you or Dan. It's great Dan is letting you work on the machines as having that many machines he needs the help to maintain and get them working.

All good! If you see me say hi. Usually try hit Dan's up on Saturday and pinball pa on sundays. Now that my gf is on a different shift we will be trying to get to helicon.

#1561 5 years ago

I am selling my Super Chexx bubble hockey table. I live in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/76927

Regards,
    Brad

#1562 5 years ago

If you are changing gear boxes, some of the “inner” players rods will need to have the rod collars removed to access the gear box. Getting those rod collars back to the same spot for the players can go forward and backward the to the same ending spots can be tricky. This may require the removal of players and ice surface multiple times to adjust where the rod collars set correctly.

TIP:
    Before removing the rod collars, mark the player rod on both sides of the rod collar(s) with a sharpie marker. When reassembling, this will show you exactly where to put them so that the player advances forward and back to the correct spots on the ice.

Also, makes sure you tighten the rod collar screws down very tight. Test the tightness by hitting the rod collar against the metal stop bracket very hard to make sure it doesn’t move from between the two sharpie lines, as mentioned above.

Nothing is more annoying than having to pull the players and the ice surface off many times to adjust the rod collars that are out of factory spec positions. Less time fixing and more time playing!

1DA5FF96-5737-4D80-B583-9FAD29F12A33 (resized).jpeg1DA5FF96-5737-4D80-B583-9FAD29F12A33 (resized).jpeg84EA0DA4-583A-4CF3-9EAA-FA5686A85FF8 (resized).jpeg84EA0DA4-583A-4CF3-9EAA-FA5686A85FF8 (resized).jpeg
    #1563 5 years ago

If you are changing gear boxes, some of the “inner” players rods will need to have the rod collars removed to access the gear box. Getting those rod collars back to the same spot for the players can go forward and backward the to the same ending spots can be tricky. This may require the removal of players and ice surface multiple times to adjust where the rod collars set correctly.
    TIP:
    Before removing the rod collars, mark the player rod on both sides of the rod collar(s) with a sharpie marker. When reassembling, this will show you exactly where to put them so that the player advances forward and back to the correct spots on the ice.
    Also, makes sure you tighten the rod collar screws down very tight. Test the tightness by hitting the rod collar against the metal stop bracket very hard to make sure it doesn’t move from between the two sharpie lines, as mentioned above.
    Nothing is more annoying than having to pull the players and the ice surface off many times to adjust the rod collars that are out of factory spec positions. Less time fixing and more time playing![quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the advice. I've never had to change gear boxes but will remember this when the time comes.

#1564 5 years ago

I know this is the Chexx thread but has anyone played KIXX? I did at Amusement Expo this past week and thought it was a blast. Also thought it played so much different than Chexx that it was worth having both.

20190328_105826 (resized).jpg20190328_105826 (resized).jpg
    #1565 5 years ago

I didn't realize they had done a pro model of Kixx, also see they dropped the artificial turf, thats a good thing in my book... looks like it will play nice and quick now, cool!

#1566 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

I didn't realize they had done a pro model of Kixx, also see they dropped the artificial turf, thats a good thing in my book... looks like it will play nice and quick now, cool!

I did enjoy it. A completely different feel than Chexx. I can see us having both of these.

#1567 5 years ago

Love it! What the heck are you doing in California? WTF!!
    Is this a little better for the ice surface? Test fitting my decal set and trying to decide if I should go with a penguins theme or restore to original with USA vs. Canada. I’ve got full decal/team sets for either direction. I’m an originality guy tried and true...but the red accents on the pens side decal is looking decent. What do you think?
    The game unit is a first generation Super Chexx. My favorite generation! Best game sounds and soundtrack IMO.[quoted image][quoted image]

so where did you get the decals?

#1568 5 years ago

Anyone had the LCD scoreboard board go out completely while everything else work great? The overhead light works, as do the sounds, call outs, oh-sensors, etc... but the LCD scoreboard does not light up at all... no period, no scores, no shots, nothing

#1569 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vegas12:

Anyone had the LCD scoreboard board go out completely while everything else work great? The overhead light works, as do the sounds, call outs, oh-sensors, etc... but the LCD scoreboard does not light up at all... no period, no scores, no shots, nothing

Need to clarify, are you talking chexx pro with lcd? Or the old chexx/superchexx with the 7segment displays for scores and led periods ?

I however would say it could be the plug coming undone on either end. At the scoreboard or the game board inside the base. I’d reseat those and visually check for burn marks

#1570 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I know this is the Chexx thread but has anyone played KIXX? I did at Amusement Expo this past week and thought it was a blast. Also thought it played so much different than Chexx that it was worth having both.
    [quoted image]

I'd love to have one, but never played one or seen one anywhere.

#1571 5 years ago

I'm thinking of buying a NIB super chexx for my new house, as housewarming present, when I sell my house. Are these games a problem to keep running? I'd be okay with cleaning it, but if it developed an electronic problem not so much.
    Thanks in advance

#1572 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I'm thinking of buying a NIB super chexx for my new house, as housewarming present, when I sell my house. Are these games a problem to keep running? I'd be okay with cleaning it, but if it developed an electronic problem not so much.
    Thanks in advance

For home environment you have no worries. Actually for any environment you have no real worries. These are built to take a beating. I purchased a Limited Edition one in 2005 (NEW) and have never had one issue with it

As for cleaning it, very little to do there as well. Buy yourself some Novus #1 to clean the plastic dome. You can also use this to clean the "ice surface" as well or, if you want a fast surface, use Pledge.

#1573 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

For home environment you have no worries. Actually for any environment you have no real worries. These are built to take a beating. I purchased a Limited Edition one in 2005 (NEW) and have never had one issue with it
    As for cleaning it, very little to do there as well. Buy yourself some Novus #1 to clean the plastic dome. You can also use this to clean the "ice surface" as well or, if you want a fast surface, use Pledge.

Thanks,now I need to do a little research,into which model to get. I have a small table version that my my son in law and I enjoy playing,but this would take it to the next level !

#1574 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

+1. And microfiber towels. Spare pucks I put underneath the game, magnetized to a screw underneath. Easy access in case you need one. Have been using the same puck for 3 years though.

#1575 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

+1. And microfiber towels. Spare pucks I put underneath the game, magnetized to a screw underneath. Easy access in case you need one. Have been using the same puck for 3 years though.

Thanks! From what I understand,I'd have to get this directly from the manufacturer, correct? It looks like the base unit starts at 2,900. I'll have to read up a bit, since I have no idea what the custom additions are.
    I'm thinking just to be safe,I should try to get one with a split base. I think that's the term for a table that breaks down small,in case I have to move it through a small opening.

#1576 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Thanks! From what I understand,I'd have to get this directly from the manufacturer, correct? It looks like the base unit starts at 2,900. I'll have to read up a bit, since I have no idea what the custom additions are.
    I'm thinking just to be safe,I should try to get one with a split base. I think that's the term for a table that breaks down small,in case I have to move it through a small opening.

Split base, no coin op, get it straight from ICE, google super chexx.

#1577 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

I am really enjoying my Chexx Pro, but am quite the upkeep novice myself. Novus 1 is safe on the dome? Good to know. I have been real nervous about using pretty much anything on the dome for fear of chemical attack. The first few games after a little Pledge on the surface are always a lot of fun though.

#1578 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Thanks,now I need to do a little research,into which model to get. I have a small table version that my my son in law and I enjoy playing,but this would take it to the next level !

I think they only sell the pro (lcd) version now. But if it will be home use only, you can save money going home version

#1579 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

The 'upgrades' are cosmetic... if you aren't a fan of any particular team you can save some cash... otherwise you can customize it with custom players and ice surface. If you look to sell it down the road I don't think you will get more for it if you upgrade to custom teams unless you find a buyer who also likes the teams you like. So if resale is any concern I'd keep it simple.

#1580 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

you can save money going home version

Agree, I posted on this before as I always recommend paying the little extra for the commercial (coin) version as it helps when/if you sell the game. The last Chexx game I sold was to a vendor who had a customer wanting one ASAP so instead of ordering one the vendor bought mine as it was quicker and cheaper for him. This was just something I experienced and share as an FYI.

Quoted from roar:

So if resale is any concern I'd keep it simple.

This is also a valid point as once you customize it you resale audience is somewhat limited as now you're trying to find someone who likes one of the two teams you chose.

#1581 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help!

#1582 5 years ago

What's do you guys think is a fair number on this?

pittsburgh.craigslist.org link

Dave

#1583 5 years ago
    Quoted from daveddd14:

Dave

Seems high considering the scoreboard isn't working and also it is not a "Super Chexx" version, it's original Chexx.

#1584 5 years ago
    Quoted from daveddd14:

Dave

Extremely high for its age and not working 100%. I'm curious to see what others say but I'd guess the price to be down around $1,000.

#1585 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rhauf0:

Extremely high for its age and not working 100%. I'm curious to see what others say but I'd guess the price to be down around $1,000.

Agree, I purchased one for 1150 six months ago with no issues other than dirty as all can be. Took it completely apart, cleaned it and replaced some worn parts. Sold it for 1450. The game was in excellent condition but it had sat for 10 years in a garage. Cleaned up really nice.

Not to knock the OP's price as if he's in no hurry to sell he might find a buyer but also he may have listed it high as with CL everyone tries to talk you down in price so he probably will take less. With CL if you want 1500 for something you cant list it for 1500 as everyone will try to make offers.

#1586 5 years ago

Thanks guys, seemed really high to me but they don't come up often so I wasn't sure.

#1587 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Why spare pucks? Where is the puck going to go?

#1588 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rhauf0:

Why spare pucks? Where is the puck going to go?

Yeah I’m perplexed in this as well as I have the same puck for 14 years. I looked at it and there is some minor (very) scuffing to it but nothing that would make me swap it out.

#1589 5 years ago

The newer pucks aren’t as solid as the older pucks. I’ve noticed the newer puck get burrs in them after a couple of years of hard play. But...I also play fast and furious.... Fire that puck around!

#1590 5 years ago

I also play fast and furious.... Fire that puck around!

An open question to owners: What's the consensus on play style?

Do you generally try to control possession, strategically passing to your other men to set up a score?

Or do you smack the puck whenever it's near the stick, relying on quick reflexes to get possession, eventually hoping to a score?

#1591 5 years ago

I am control style. My wife is chaos style. At first she won most games because my control skills were horrible. As they have become less bad, the win ratio has dramatically shifted my way.

From my limited play with other people using both techniques...better control wins more often and by larger amounts.

That being said, around here chaos Is a lot more entertaining for onlookers and other players.

#1592 5 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

An open question to owners: What's the consensus on play style?
    Do you generally try to control possession, strategically passing to your other men to set up a score?
    Or do you smack the puck whenever it's near the stick, relying on quick reflexes to get possession, eventually hoping to a score?

I've won many games from people scoring on their own goal, thrashing around. Control wins.

#1593 5 years ago

Just joined super chexx club, was lucky to find this one for sale locally for 100.00, needed a few new parts but was easy fix. Just need find a spot to place my multi purpose game/theater room

1FD59161-46DF-418F-BE96-6266A4A5EE6A (resized).jpeg1FD59161-46DF-418F-BE96-6266A4A5EE6A (resized).jpeg8103A318-79D8-4D87-9C9D-D487F7E997B9 (resized).jpeg8103A318-79D8-4D87-9C9D-D487F7E997B9 (resized).jpegBF68C437-A894-4416-BDEE-EE1966B47A92 (resized).jpegBF68C437-A894-4416-BDEE-EE1966B47A92 (resized).jpeg
    #1594 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hv9200:

Just joined super chexx club, was lucky to find this one for sale locally for 100.00, needed a few new parts but was easy fix. Just need find a spot to place my multi purpose game/theater room
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

$100? WOW STEAL!

#1595 5 years ago

I thought it was typo, jumped right on it. Works great...now i need to find out whereto place it and how to make it more movie themed

8A38AD14-ABBD-4861-B482-3924859E8893 (resized).jpeg8A38AD14-ABBD-4861-B482-3924859E8893 (resized).jpeg
    #1596 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hv9200:

I thought it was typo, jumped right on it. Works great...now i need to find out whereto place it and how to make it more movie themed
    [quoted image]

Any chance you're looking to adopt??

#1597 5 years ago

Not currently no, already have several dependents

#1598 5 years ago

I was thinking of painting a set of players star wars themed, storm trooper vs jedi or rebels....although most of the hockey purists may consider that a crime

#1599 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hv9200:

I was thinking of painting a set of players star wars themed, storm trooper vs jedi or rebels....although most of the hockey purists may consider that a crime

What about movie-hockey themed? Miracle or Slap Shot? Mighty Ducks or Youngblood... that is a really short list to choose from

#1600 5 years ago

Thats a good idea...thanks!

There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/32 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.