Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 63.
    #101 10 years ago

Bought a NIB from Ice last month. Great purchase. My kids have been playing it nonstop. My 9 year old has become rapidly much better and is now a worthy opponent. My wife, who has never played the WCS we have, and despises video games loves it as well. Bought the NHL - Blue Jackets v Red Wings.

About two weeks or so after we got it, a Chexx popped up on Columbus Craigslist for $200. Contacted the seller within a few hours of its listing, tried several times, but never got a reply. Was envisioning a nice usa-ussr restoration to keep as well. A couple of days later, a chexx with the same features is now listed for $1,795. Another thing I missed on Craigslist.

#102 10 years ago

Many have ask where i bought my jumbotron for above my chexx, so i did some looking, found these.

First item is a jumbotron scoreboard octogon

ebay.com link: sch

Second link below is the one like mine.

ebay.com link: sch

When mine was bought, it was used, and i had to snipe it. They now seem to be available for some teams, including the one i bought. These look great in the gameroom, but put a reflection on the dome, thus i put a piece of cardboard in, looks great.

Post edited by moderator: forgot the picture

129.JPG129.JPG
    #103 10 years ago
    Quoted from Ozzie:

Bought a NIB from Ice last month. Great purchase. My kids have been playing it nonstop. My 9 year old has become rapidly much better and is now a worthy opponent. My wife, who has never played the WCS we have, and despises video games loves it as well. Bought the NHL - Blue Jackets v Red Wings.

Nice to hear from someone who has recently bought one. Ive been thinking about getting one myself, and Im torn as to what model to buy. Did you get the split base or not? And did you get the home version or the coin op? Just curious as to what you think. Thanks!

#104 10 years ago

Just picked up the super chexx bud light version. Mickey likey. Lot of fun playing the kids.

#105 10 years ago

Bought home version. Liked the volume button on outside and power switch. Kids are 11, 9, 7 and 5. Wanted it so they could turn on/off without parental involvement. My brother has coin op version, and I definitely wanted home for those two features.

I did not get split base. My house was built 2 years ago and has standard 36" doors. Had no problem getting base through door, though you have to tilt it. I was able to do this by myself before attaching the playfield /dome.

#106 10 years ago

Anybody here a historian on these things? I was looking mine over last week and decided to snap a pic of the data plate(or whatever it's called). How early is my machine?

IMG_7013.jpgIMG_7013.jpg

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Anybody here a historian on these things? I was looking mine over last week and decided to snap a pic of the data plate(or whatever it's called). How early is my machine?

They made just over 5k the first year, so yours is a probably sometime in 85.

#108 10 years ago

Btw, I did actually find one of these a while back. Original chexx, that I then refurbed into an NHL version with a white top and black base. Also modded the coin slot to have a button so the kids could just push that to start a game, whoever said earlier in the thread that inserting coins wasn't an issue doesn't have little kids evidently...coin slot got jammed like 3 times before decided that was enough and fixed it right.

#109 10 years ago

I never wanted one of these things until I read this thread.

#110 10 years ago

Maybe Robin will give us a sub form for super chexx, i would bet quite a few pinside members have them. Kinda like gameroom bling

Quoted from Mudflaps:

I chit you not, gets more plays then the pins at every party except the pinball guys, then it becomes a great coat hanger.

#111 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Yeah, whenever people are over the "bubble hockey" is played to death. The pins can be hit or miss depending on the crowd, but the Super Chexx gets a workout. If you have people over often I don't think you'll regret getting one. On the other hand it doesn't see much action in between get togethers.

#112 10 years ago

This is a tough sell for $2500 new, but maybe in a few months I'll check out craiglist for a decent one. My daughter and I played one on the Jersey Shore and it was a blast. I can see the kids having a great time with this.

#113 10 years ago

I bought mine 5-6 years ago from a nationally ranked player that also had pins. I think I paid $500. He had just won a tournament and the prize was a new Super Chexx. The best part about it was playing against him while he was showing me the game. I've never seen anyone actually passing the puck between players like he could. I think he scored 10 times in the few minutes we played. Here's the website he told me about that has a message forum with repair and mod tips: http://www.chexxfan.com/welcome.cfm

If anyone knows of a place to get players painted, please post it. I have no artistic talent.

Steve

#114 10 years ago
    Quoted from Steve-in-CT:

If anyone knows of a place to get players painted, please post it. I have no artistic talent.
    Steve

ebay.com link: Super Chexx Bubble Hockey Custom Player Painting and Game Decaling

#115 10 years ago

COST:

If you supply the players:
    $260 for team of 6.
    $470 for 2 teams of 6 each.

If I provide the players for you:
    $380 for team of 6.
    $700 for 2 teams of 6 each.

Ouch! They look great, but there's no way I'm spending that much to have them done. I better start practicing my painting skills.

#116 10 years ago

The NHL teams from Chexx are only $99 now. Unless that is the price per player, but the picture shows 5.

http://www.icegame.com/c-22-super-chexx.aspx

#117 10 years ago

Glad you found one. Definitely something I will add, when one turns up locally.

#118 10 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

The NHL teams from Chexx are only $99 now. Unless that is the price per player, but the picture shows 5.
    http://www.icegame.com/c-22-super-chexx.aspx

Yeah, it's $100 for all the players + goalie through chexx. Totally the way to go.

#119 10 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Yeah, it's $100 for all the players + goalie through chexx. Totally the way to go.

Quality is lacking though, really disappointed with my purchase. The stickers they use dont match the color of the players, thus sticking out. If you want quality, go with the ebay link, if your like me and just dont care, ice players look good for what they are worth and a hell of alot cheaper.

Say Taylor, how bout changing the title of this thread, super chexx owners

#120 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I have a similar version which is made by Halex, has glass boards and metal nets, NHL approved. Still fun and way less expensive and no maintenance issues. Had to get a pin bec can't play by myself and get my friends to play as I destroy them. Never lost a game since I owned it. Here is picture of my table.Also added picture of my table hockey that was my fathers. I remember playing this when I was young and is old for sure.

image-953.jpg 102 KB

image-472.jpg 182 KB

I have one of those old ones as well. has the tin metal cutout guys. White plastic nets, metal frame and particle board ice. With a big score unit that hangs over the game to put the wooden puck in. Good times. I like your setup. Nice cost effective way to go. Only problem i'd have with that, is when kids come over, the puck would fly out and roll under something, or just disappear.

#121 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

ebay.com link » Super Chexx Bubble Hockey Custom Player Painting And Game Decaling

Holy shit. $700 for that? I'm in the wrong business. I could bust out a team of these a lot less time than restoring a playfield.

#122 10 years ago

I picked up a bubble hockey a few years back. They are alot of fun. There are nights where it gets played for hours over the pins.

#123 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Holy shit. $700 for that? I'm in the wrong business. I could bust out a team of these a lot less time than restoring a playfield.

lol, how much for a package deal on a baby pacman PF and some Chexx guys?

#124 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Quality is lacking though, really disappointed with my purchase. The stickers they use dont match the color of the players, thus sticking out. If you want quality, go with the ebay link, if your like me and just dont care, ice players look good for what they are worth and a hell of alot cheaper.

I actually thought my two teams (blackhawks and avalanche) weren't too bad from ICE. Missing numbers and names, but I can always add those. For $100 it's hard to complain, the funniest part of about the custom player guys is that he charges $120 just to provide base players for customization, more than it costs to get a whole team already painted directly from ICE. I would agree though, that if you wanted the best quality possible the ebay guy is probably it.

#125 10 years ago
    Quoted from DJSLYKE:

Bump for an awesome game! I don't know if I would ever sell mine. I put a lot of hours into this bad boy and I still have some more things I want to design for it. I changed it to the 97' Penguins vs 2010 Blackhawks.

IMG_0452.JPG 1.8 MB

IMG_0453.JPG 1.6 MB

IMG_0454.JPG 1.6 MB

DJSLYKE how did you get the paint scheme on the base of your game? Did you paint it yourself and if so, what kind of prep and paint did you use? Is it fairly durable?

I'd like to paint mine and I would like any pointers can get. Thanks.

QSS

#126 10 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

For $100 it's hard to complain, the funniest part of about the custom player guys is that he charges $120 just to provide base players for customization, more than it costs to get a whole team already painted directly from ICE.

I have talked to this man, and he buys his parts directly from chexx. For a new set of players @ $15.95 each comes to around $95 plus their shipping policy comes into play ( $50 for shipping and a refund back for overcharge of shipping). I dont think he is making a killing on them, but compensation from making and waiting for the order all takes time. He also has to bead blast every player so the paint sticks to the pieces.

I honestly cant believe theres only a $5 mark up on these from the factory which for me made it a no brainer to grab a set no matter what the quality. When its all said and done, the only person who notices the lack of quality is the owner of the game, as the guest playing it only love the fact that their team is in the game and will never see past that.

#127 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

I have talked to this man, and he buys his parts directly from chexx. For a new set of players @ $15.95 each comes to around $95 plus their shipping policy comes into play ( $50 for shipping and a refund back for overcharge of shipping). I dont think he is making a killing on them, but compensation from making and waiting for the order all takes time. He also has to bead blast every player so the paint sticks to the pieces.
    I honestly cant believe theres only a $5 mark up on these from the factory which for me made it a no brainer to grab a set no matter what the quality. When its all said and done, the only person who notices the lack of quality is the owner of the game, as the guest playing it only love the fact that their team is in the game and will never see past that.

He's definitely not making a killing on them, I'm sure it takes a long time to paint. He's actually missing out on even easier money, instead of going through all this work painting players, he should just sell custom decal sheets for each team...you tell him the numbers and names you want, he prints them out in the right colors/fonts and sends them to you. Probably could charge a decent amount and be way easier.

#128 10 years ago

We talked about the numbers, he basically makes a sticker and clears it onto the players. I dont think he is willing to sell the numbers as a service as it will kill his painting services, you can ask but thats what ive got from his conversation. He did offer to do the numbers on chexx supplied players, but due to cost, i declined.

As a hockey fan and a Red Wings fan, how could i choose only 6 players....... Old school, current, history ect ect ect. Numbers could be a bigger pain in the ass. Original six guys have tough choices compared to the expansion years.

I do plan on having multiple teams, and the only way i could afford them is to not customize them any more then what ICE does at the factory.

#129 10 years ago

Guess I'll have to make numbers and names on my own then. I think some people on the chexx forums have done it, I'll have to look it up.

#130 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

DJSLYKE how did you get the paint scheme on the base of your game? Did you paint it yourself and if so, what kind of prep and paint did you use? Is it fairly durable?
    I'd like to paint mine and I would like any pointers can get. Thanks.
    QSS

I did it myself, nothing special. I just used Glidden primer and paint. I had Home Depot color match a jersey that I had at the house for both teams. I had my drunk friends play it a few times, so I would say that it's durable.

Steve

#131 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Just do it yourself, I had a lot of fun doing the players. I might even do some more in the future, just so I can rotate the roster.

IMG_0050.JPGIMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPGIMG_0062.JPG

Steve

#132 10 years ago
    Quoted from DJSLYKE:

Just do it yourself, I had a lot of fun doing the players. I might even do some more in the future, just so I can rotate the roster.

Steve

IMG_0050.JPG 154 KB

IMG_0062.JPG 183 KB

How did you prep your players? Did you bead blast them to strip off the old paint or just paint right over the existing paint? Did you print off the letters and players names and overlay them on top of your paint? What kind of paint did you use?

Sorry for all the questions, I've been thinking of doing this myself and since I am far from an artist, any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

QSS

#133 10 years ago

Those look nice! I'm having flashbacks to the Stadium series game this weekend. SO cold!

#134 10 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Those look nice! I'm having flashbacks to the Stadium series game this weekend. SO cold!

And yet so awesome.

Love the Blackhawks/Penguins artwork... very cool!

#135 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Many have ask where i bought my jumbotron for above my chexx, so i did some looking, found these.
    First item is a jumbotron scoreboard octogon
    ebay.com link
    Second link below is the one like mine.
    ebay.com link
    When mine was bought, it was used, and i had to snipe it. They now seem to be available for some teams, including the one i bought. These look great in the gameroom, but put a reflection on the dome, thus i put a piece of cardboard in, looks great.
    Post edited by moderator: forgot the picture

129.JPG 188 KB

Links are no good anymore . Just ebay

1 week later
    #136 10 years ago

Man these are pure fun. Showed up for my pin tournament and look what else was inside. I think I let my emotions get the best of me and enjoyed it to the max. Played better in bubble hockey tournament and took 1st compared to 18th in the pins. It must have thrown me off. Everyone who has a pin collection needs one for sure.

image-607.jpgimage-607.jpg image-275.jpgimage-275.jpg
    #137 10 years ago

Picked up a 1983 chexx. Looking for a bunch of parts. Guys, gears, beerings, dome, ice... PM me the good news of what extra parts you have.

#138 10 years ago

Here is my custom super chexx that I did a few months ago after seeing this thread I painted one side yellow and the other red with black base. The base was blue.all custom stickers and new dome.all new players,image-717.jpgimage-717.jpgimage-659.jpgimage-659.jpgimage-664.jpgimage-664.jpg

#139 10 years ago
    Quoted from galaxian:

Picked up a 1983 chexx. Looking for a bunch of parts. Guys, gears, beerings, dome, ice... PM me the good news of what extra parts you have.

icegame.com

#140 10 years ago

Super Chexx is awesome, hope you find one. I play for money against my friends, we're all good and nothing gets your heart pumpin' harder than OT next goal wins Cool thing about mine was it came from the Spectrum before they knocked it down. Was probably originally Flyers vs Rangers then when Flyers moved next door it became Phantoms (old Flyers minor affl.) vs Bears ( Pitt's minor affl. I believe) now it's Flyers vs. Phantoms. After seeing all these cool games I'm gonna have to restore mine now too. Maybe I'll make it Flyers vs Rangers or Pens.
    CPU 002.jpgCPU 002.jpg

#141 10 years ago
    Quoted from vilant:

Super Chexx is awesome, hope you find one. I play for money against my friends, we're all good and nothing gets your heart pumpin' harder than OT next goal wins Cool thing about mine was it came from the Spectrum before they knocked it down. Was probably originally Flyers vs Rangers then when Flyers moved next door it became Phantoms (old Flyers minor affl.) vs Bears ( Pitt's minor affl. I believe) now it's Flyers vs. Phantoms. After seeing all these cool games I'm gonna have to restore mine now too. Maybe I'll make it Flyers vs Rangers or Pens.

CPU 002.jpg 148 KB

Ahhh man, I would love a phantoms super chexx. I bought great ice level season tickets for the lehigh valley phantoms. Can't wait for the 2014-2015 season.

#142 10 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

Ahhh man, I would love a phantoms super chexx. I bought great ice level season tickets for the lehigh valley phantoms. Can't wait for the 2014-2015 season.

You can't beat the ticket prices, they make it affordable to the bring the family, unlike the Flyers, lol. Phantoms use to be the Flyers affiliate, not even sure who their farm team is now. Are the Phantoms the Penguins minor team now or someone else?

#143 10 years ago

My Super Chexx is the longest lasting item in my gameroom I've had mine for around 16 years and it has never given me any trouble, years ago I had a party with a large group that I played hockey with at the time and a group of four Czech players had the game off the ground while playing they are built to last!

#144 10 years ago
    Quoted from vilant:

You can't beat the ticket prices, they make it affordable to the bring the family, unlike the Flyers, lol. Phantoms use to be the Flyers affiliate, not even sure who their farm team is now. Are the Phantoms the Penguins minor team now or someone else?

Nope still the flyers. Bought a 3 year plan 6 rows off the ice.

#145 10 years ago

Dammit! Now I want one. Willing to trade one of my pins for one. Anyone?

#146 10 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

Nope still the flyers. Bought a 3 year plan 6 rows off the ice.

Quoted from yfz450:

Dammit! Now I want one. Willing to trade one of my pins for one. Anyone?

Didn't realize the Phantoms were the farm team again, when they first left Philly I thought a minor team from NJ was the new one.
    I would sell mine if I could it out, lol. I took me over an hour to get the base down into the basement. It was 1/4" wider than the narrowest area. Literally had to beat it down there and screwed up the walls in the process. I had to spackle and sand the stairwell to fix, what MPIA. If it ever comes out, I'm sawzalling the base in half, lol.

#147 10 years ago

I have an original Chexx which I purchased used about 20 years ago. At parties, it is played NON-STOP. Pins and pool, not so much.

#148 10 years ago

If I had more money than brains, I'd buy three of these and paint them up as the Original Six.

1 week later
    #149 10 years ago

I know Super Chexx is the gold standard, but has anyone ever had any experience with the Carrom bubble hockey machines available at Amazon and other places?

Would like to get a bubble hockey, but it's coming out of my pin fund...so I'm not sure I wanna go $2k+ "all-in" on something like this.

And, yeah, I know you get what you pay for but figured I'd at least do a bit of research. (And glad I found a thread on here discussing it.)

#150 10 years ago

You don't have to spend $2000 on a new one. I bought mine for @$700 about 6 years ago used. It was pretty roughed up but worked perfectly. You might have to wait until a used one pops up, but it's worth the wait. I'm in the process of giving my Super Chexx the pinball treatment as we speak, (I had Super Chexx envy after seeing everyone else's nice machines in this thread ).

There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.