Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 63.
    #1301 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Typically when I see a statement like this the first thing that comes to mind is ...... the guy asked his wife!
    Not sure where you're from but if Canada I would stop posting as the RMPs will be knocking! It's my understanding that it's illegal for any Canadian to own anything but a CHEXX game!

LOL.... Bucks County PA.....

#1302 5 years ago
    Quoted from Evil-Dingo:

LOL.... Bucks County PA.....

Did you hear that big exhale.........that was all Canadians breathing a sigh of relief! LOL

#1303 5 years ago

I just got a used super chexx and everything works great except the puck eject is too strong. It hits the scoreboard if no sticks are in the way. Programming only has 8 options though. Is there a secret to get to #9?

#1304 5 years ago
    Quoted from Karlson1:

I just got a used super chexx and everything works great except the puck eject is too strong. It hits the scoreboard if no sticks are in the way. Programming only has 8 options though. Is there a secret to get to #9?

If it’s a super Chexx you can adjust it. I saw a YouTube video on it last week. I’ll see it I can find the video again

I just moved my Super Chexx and when I plugged it in nothing works now.

#1305 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

If it’s a super Chexx you can adjust it. I saw a YouTube video on it last week. I’ll see it I can find the video again
    I just moved my Super Chexx and when I plugged it in nothing works now.

Make sure something else works in that outlet. Then check the main line fuse.

Or did you take the top off? Then you’ll want to check the ribbon cable and others

#1306 5 years ago

No all I did was move it where is the main line fuse at?

#1307 5 years ago

I have a Chexx and mine was in the bottom of the cab in or near the main power unit.

#1308 5 years ago

Guy I know (Pittsburgh) is selling one for $1350 ... it was on route but he replaced the dome, gearboxes and ribbon cable to the scoreboard!

#1309 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Guy I know (Pittsburgh) is selling one for $1350 ... it was on route but he replaced the dome, gearboxes and ribbon cable to the scoreboard!

That’s a great price! Does it include a Kris Letang Bobblehead too?

#1310 5 years ago

Only fuse I see is the 1/2amp fuse on the board, is this the main fuse?

69A109D4-09B0-46D2-AC8A-EA63FDE83451 (resized).jpeg69A109D4-09B0-46D2-AC8A-EA63FDE83451 (resized).jpeg

#1311 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

Only fuse I see is the 1/2amp fuse on the board, is this the main fuse?

So i don’t remember what a super Chexx inside looks like. But from your pic it looks like the metal cover those green grounds go to, that may be the cover for the transformer etc

Here is what a Chexx looks like. The big metal box in the base is where that is housed. There should be a fuse inside of it. Remember to test uses with a DMM and not just a visual inspection

2223E2C8-0494-4E11-B209-6FFEFE961723 (resized).jpeg2223E2C8-0494-4E11-B209-6FFEFE961723 (resized).jpeg

#1312 5 years ago

Seems like the main fuse would be a much larger fuse, like a 10 amp or 12amp. I’ll probably have to take the top off to find it in the base of the unit. All I can see when I open the coin door is the main board..

Mine looks like this inside

91B2E1A6-1C01-432E-8583-FB8C0E52237B (resized).jpeg91B2E1A6-1C01-432E-8583-FB8C0E52237B (resized).jpeg

#1313 5 years ago

Does the power cord from the wall go right into the main pcb?

Geez I think it does. Is that fuse you found working?

#1314 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Does the power cord from the wall go right into the main pcb?
    Geez I think it does. Is that fuse you found working?

The fuse is in a mini black box which I am assuming comes apart some how. Later tonight I am going to see if I can get the fuse out and test it. Yes, the power cord goes right to the main board.

#1315 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

The fuse is in a mini black box which I am assuming comes apart some how. Later tonight I am going to see if I can get the fuse out and test it. Yes, the power cord goes right to the main board.

There's a cap on the left that usually unscrews or just pulls out.

Quoted from pacman11:

Seems like the main fuse would be a much larger fuse, like a 10 amp or 12amp.

The fuse is on the ac line, that .5 amp converts to around 5 amp dc at 12v.
    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/ac-to-dc-amperage-conversion-run-through-an-inverter.html

#1316 5 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

There's a cap on the left that usually unscrews or just pulls out.

The fuse is on the ac line, that .5 amp converts to around 5 amp dc at 12v.
    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/ac-to-dc-amperage-conversion-run-through-an-inverter.html

Thanks I'll see if I can get that cap off tonight. Thanks I am glad you said that because I might of broke that fuse holder having no clue how to get at the fuse. lol

#1317 5 years ago
    Quoted from RikiTiki:

These?
    FWIW your order was 52 business days (no joke) and you wanted something we didnt have readily available on the shelf ready to ship which were told that was the case at the time of order. you also requested a special set to be half of the USA and half of the Canada. something we also just dont offer or have ready to go your order was refunded and we told you as soon as we had more printed we'd be more then happy to let you know when they were in stock.
    Sorry it took a little longer then expected, but I do have sets that are now ready.

I'm assuming you aren't the person that I spoke with all 4 times I tried to get the decals because you don't sound like the person who was apologizing me to over the phone when your company didn't deliver the product after 52 business days (sorry for not clarifying - I had reason to believe it would be many more business days when I decided to cancel). If you aren't that person, then you don't know what I was told about how long it would take. If you are that person, which is still possible because some people gain some courage behind a keyboard, then you are either lying or forgot what happened 80-some days ago.

I called your company in February to see if you would split the order (Canada and USA). I was told that wasn't a problem, and you made that option available on your website for me. That's the same website that says "Most orders currently ship within 15 business Days (M-F) or 3 weeks." If I was told it would take a long time, I would have just bought both sets. I was also told that the order was ready when I checked in weeks ago, and that I would see a tracking number. When I didn't see a tracking number, I called, a week or two later, and was told it would be shipped the next day. I waited another week, patiently, and was finally told last week that it must have gotten shipped to another buyer. I was tired of the excuses at that point. I was disappointed because I really just wanted the decals. I asked if your company could still find a way to get me the order. I was told that you couldn't "stop the presses," to re-do this order. I asked nicely for my money back, and you obliged. I am sorry for not explaining part. I was made whole, and I was apologized to very sincerely.

I think that given that experience, I could feel free to tell others on this forum that you weren't able to help me at that point. I never wrote a bad review about your company. I only advised against you when others suggested that you might be able to help in this bubble hockey specific forum. I'm not sure how you found my post here, but I am glad that you did. I'm a person who believes in second chances, or in your case, fifth chances. That is why I ordered your decals again (both USA and Canada). Your company emailed me 3 days after the cancellation to say that multiple prints were now available on eBaY. I ordered when I saw your username had all positive reviews.

I received your product in the mail today. I will say that I am very happy with your product. It looks perfect, and it was a very reasonable price. I wish it could have gone a little smoother to get to this point, but because the outcome was finally positive, I would do business with you again. I will also give you positive feedback on eBaY. I don't hold grudges. Onward we both go.

#1318 5 years ago

What a weird design for a fuse. Not easy to get at and you have to remove the board to replace it. Replaced fuse and everything is working now. Thanks for the help!

6D996204-5698-4110-964F-CED88C42B19D (resized).jpeg6D996204-5698-4110-964F-CED88C42B19D (resized).jpeg

#1319 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

What a weird design for a fuse. Not easy to get at and you have to remove the board to replace it. Replaced fuse and everything is working now. Thanks for the help!

Freakin sweet!!! Glad you got it and props to latenite for the good tip on the fuse holder!

#1320 5 years ago

I have a stupid question....I can understand why one player’s stick is longer than the other four, but why was this game design choice made in the first place?

#1321 5 years ago

If anyone is interested I got a CHEXX in a deal. I have a Limited Edition one so I am selling this one!
    pittsburgh.craigslist.org link

NEW dome and gear boxes. Surface looks really good as well! It was a routed game though. I will take off $100 for any Pinsider that buys it as well as donate some to Pinside!

IMG_E1015[1] (resized).JPGIMG_E1015[1] (resized).JPG

#1322 5 years ago

I can't remember if I ever posted these in here. Had a friend do them up.

IMG_3433 (resized).JPGIMG_3433 (resized).JPG

IMG_3435 (resized).JPGIMG_3435 (resized).JPG

IMG_3434 (resized).JPGIMG_3434 (resized).JPG

IMG_3438 (resized).JPGIMG_3438 (resized).JPG

IMG_3436 (resized).JPGIMG_3436 (resized).JPG

IMG_2212 (resized).JPGIMG_2212 (resized).JPG

#1323 5 years ago

That is awesome.

Quoted from ChrisS:

I can't remember if I ever posted these in here. Had a friend do them up.

#1324 5 years ago

Hi all, I am the proud “new” owner of a used Super Chexx that I finally found on Craigslist near my home. I have been following this thread for a long time in anticipation of getting a machine!

The game seems to be in great working condition except I am having a problem with the solenoid. When the puck is ejected to start a game the eject mechanism connected to the solenoid remains in the up position, therefore when a goal is scored the puck gets stuck next to the eject arm and cannot be sent back into play. I took off the ice and looked at the mechanism and it seems like it gets stuck in the “in position” and does not click back out allowing the arm to lay flat and the puck to roll on top. Have any of you all experienced this issue? I am thinking the solenoid needs replaced but any help is appreciated.

p.s. the arm attached to the solenoid is the older version that looks like a metal clothes hanger

#1325 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricKalby:

Hi all, I am the proud “new” owner of a used Super Chexx that I finally found on Craigslist near my home. I have been following this thread for a long time in anticipation of getting a machine!
    The game seems to be in great working condition except I am having a problem with the solenoid. When the puck is ejected to start a game the eject mechanism connected to the solenoid remains in the up position, therefore when a goal is scored the puck gets stuck next to the eject arm and cannot be sent back into play. I took off the ice and looked at the mechanism and it seems like it gets stuck in the “in position” and does not click back out allowing the arm to lay flat and the puck to roll on top. Have any of you all experienced this issue? I am thinking the solenoid needs replaced but any help is appreciated.
    p.s. the arm attached to the solenoid is the older version that looks like a metal clothes hanger

Make sure the arm is not getting hung up and moves freely. Take a picture of it ... might help see whats going on

#1326 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

If anyone is interested I got a CHEXX in a deal. I have a Limited Edition one so I am selling this one!
    pittsburgh.craigslist.org link
    NEW dome and gear boxes. Surface looks really good as well! It was a routed game though. I will take off $100 for any Pinsider that buys it as well as donate some to Pinside!

Price reduction .... now 1550$

#1327 5 years ago

Same as meSz said. Make sure that there isnt a mecahnical hang up. If not, is the coil staying active? That could cause some serious burn. Could be a bad transistor if so.

#1328 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Make sure the arm is not getting hung up and moves freely. Take a picture of it ... might help see whats going on

Thanks all. There isn't anything physically making the arm get held up. The 2nd pic shows the solenoid arm extended to allow for the puck to be ejected, the 1st pic shows the solenoid pulled in after the puck gets ejected, but it stays like that and the arm is stuck up (3rd pic). When I physically touch the solenoid I can get it to pop back out allowing for the pick to be ejected, but obviously that isn't practical for real game play.

20180515_102444 (resized).jpg20180515_102444 (resized).jpg

20180515_102423 (resized).jpg20180515_102423 (resized).jpg

20180515_102311 (resized).jpg20180515_102311 (resized).jpg

#1329 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricKalby:

Thanks all. There isn't anything physically making the arm get held up. The 2nd pic shows the solenoid arm extended to allow for the puck to be ejected, the 1st pic shows the solenoid pulled in after the puck gets ejected, but it stays like that and the arm is stuck up (3rd pic). When I physically touch the solenoid I can get it to pop back out allowing for the pick to be ejected, but obviously that isn't practical for real game play.

Sorry, the pics got loaded in a weird order. Also, I wish I would have seen your posting for sale earlier, I live right outside of Pittsburgh as well.

#1330 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricKalby:

If there isn't anything you can see hanging up then there is probably buildup of dirt in the solenoid sleeve or the spring is worn out and doesn't have enough strength left to push the piston out. I would take it out of the machine and clean it up. There is one screw on the metal bar that goes in front of the piston, remove that and the piston should slide out, clean it up and see if it works. You can test it out of the machine if you have a 12v power supply, 6v might even be enough to get the solenoid to pull in.

The detention bar should reach to the other side of the piston, you might want to straiten that so the piston stops evenly.
    m_ICCH2008X (resized).jpgm_ICCH2008X (resized).jpg

#1331 5 years ago

So there had to be prior issues as it looks like new wire/ends on the wires to the solenoid. Also the black looks crispy near the connectors? Do you feel/hear the coil staying electrified/held while the arm is staying up? or are the wires reversed?

#1332 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricKalby:

Something must be catching on yours. I have mine apart right now so I'll look at mine later.

#1333 5 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

If there isn't anything you can see hanging up then there is probably buildup of dirt in the solenoid sleeve or the spring is worn out and doesn't have enough strength left to push the piston out. I would take it out of the machine and clean it up. There is one screw on the metal bar that goes in front of the piston, remove that and the piston should slide out, clean it up and see if it works. You can test it out of the machine if you have a 12v power supply, 6v might even be enough to get the solenoid to pull in.
    The detention bar should reach to the other side of the piston, you might want to straiten that so the piston stops evenly.

Thanks for the help from all the posts. I have taken apart the solenoid and cleaned the piston. With a little lubrication, it is working a lot better. Also, i think the spring is worn so I will be ordering a replacement! Thanks again!

#1334 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricKalby:

With a little lubrication

Agghhh you may want to clean the lubricant off! Coils aren't made to be lubricated that's part of the coil sleeve purpose! Plus, if you used WD40 or any other flammable lubricant you could have a fire!

#1335 5 years ago

I have a HUO Superchexx in Michigan if anyone is looking....https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/64185

#1336 5 years ago
    Quoted from thall17:

I have a HUO Superchexx in Michigan if anyone is looking.... https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/64185

Very nice ..... edit you post and put a space between the last period and your URL.... then people can just click on it! (see how I did it in your qoute right above this?)

2 weeks later
    #1337 5 years ago

I finally settled on a design for a customized puck. I have been using one in my machine for a few months with no issues so I decided to make some up and see if people were interested. You can pick the logos you would like from the ones I have in the second photo. I have 7 black, 1 silver and 1 blue/white made up. Send me a pm if you are interested, $25 shipped in the US. Since these are new and not extensively tested, other than my machine, if you have issues with it chipping or breaking in the first 6 months let me know and I'll refund your money.

Some examples of what they look like.
    Pucks (resized).pngPucks (resized).png

These are the logos I have to choose from
    20180329_100121_001 (resized).jpg20180329_100121_001 (resized).jpg

20180528_175659 (resized).jpg20180528_175659 (resized).jpg

#1338 5 years ago

Those looks great man! Hate t be nit picky, but if there a way to print the logo on black background so it blends in?

#1339 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Those looks great man! Hate t be nit picky, but if there a way to print the logo on black background so it blends in?

I looked at that early on but with the center only being about 1/2 inch most of the logos looked dark and didn't show up well, especially once it was in the game through the dome. These ones looked alright but some, like the Sharks, just gets lost on there.

LogosBlackBackground.pngLogosBlackBackground.png

#1340 5 years ago

Hi there, I have a problem with my Super Chexx Gen 2. Sometimes the game never ends, after the 3rd period is over, it just starts another period, and another, and another. Usually after 6 it will finally end. This is NOT because the game is tied and going into overtime.

Thanks

#1341 5 years ago

Just to cover bases

What are the dip switches or settings for games set at?

During other periods, does the game work correctly? Like register the puck scoring, knowing the puck is needing to be ejected etc

I have the manual, so could start working on checking to see how the schematics work

#1342 5 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

I finally settled on a design for a customized puck. I have been using one in my machine for a few months with no issues so I decided to make some up and see if people were interested. You can pick the logos you would like from the ones I have in the second photo. I have 7 black, 1 silver and 1 blue/white made up. Send me a pm if you are interested, $25 shipped in the US. Since these are new and not extensively tested, other than my machine, if you have issues with it chipping or breaking in the first 6 months let me know and I'll refund your money.
    Some examples of what they look like.

These are the logos I have to choose from

Thanks Dave. The puck looks amazing and does work perfectly with the scoring of my Halex table. Sioux Forever!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1343 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Just to cover bases
    What are the dip switches or settings for games set at?
    During other periods, does the game work correctly? Like register the puck scoring, knowing the puck is needing to be ejected etc
    I have the manual, so could start working on checking to see how the schematics work

Hi northvibe sorry for the late reply. I have it set to 1 minute in length periods, and free play mode is on. Next time I'm at my shop I can let you know exactly which switches are on/off in the 4 bank switch. The first three periods work great.

It would indeed be helpful to know which IC's control the basic logic of the game over state.

Also, this board has had issues in the past. The previous owner plugged in the display connector in backwards, so the display was displaying corrupt info. This was professionally repaired by John's Jukes.

I think one thing I will try is reseating the rom as well.

#1344 5 years ago

I have a real n00b question for the board. Just received my Chexx Pro game and I'm excited to give it a shot.

1) Where does the green ground wire attach? Directly onto the wing nut near the power supply?

2) Is the system preprogrammed (non-coin op version) for home use and simply plug and play? Or do I have to go into program mode and make a bunch of tweaks?

Many thanks!

#1345 5 years ago

Both of your questions depend on the version of the game you bought!

Quoted from erest888:

I have a real n00b question for the board. Just received my Chexx Pro game and I'm excited to give it a shot.
    1) Where does the green ground wire attach? Directly onto the wing nut near the power supply?

Most versions of the game the ground wire attaches to the metal housing of where the coins pass through to the coin box. If you look at post #1310 above you will see what I am talking about (picture in post 1310 is an older game and not a PRO)! Question is ... did you buy a home version or a Coin version?? Your manual shows where the ground wire goes so its best to refer to it!

Quoted from erest888:

2) Is the system preprogrammed (non-coin op version) for home use and simply plug and play? Or do I have to go into program mode and make a bunch of tweaks?

Again, depends on the version you bought. The home version is set to free play so you plug and play. The coin version you need to change the dip switch for it to be free play. The manual will also show this!

Congrats on the new game!

#1346 5 years ago
    Quoted from erest888:

Many thanks!

There's also a Super Chexx Pro thread, someone might have answered your questions in there.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superchexx-pro-owners-club

2 weeks later
    #1347 5 years ago

Anyone in the Corning, NY area looking for a machine. I saw this one today on craigslist.

$750 - Looks like it will clean up.
    elmira.craigslist.org link

#1348 5 years ago

Finally ordered my decals for my Wisconsin Badgers vs Minnesota Gophers. I needed to print white on clear, so I went with a 5" x 5" custom window decal from Vistaprint. Even with shipping it was under $10. The size was actually more then enough to get the logos and numbers. I was filling the extra space with some other random stuff, including some decals for the goalie masks. I'll post pictures when they arrive. I'm probably still the most nervous about the Wisconsin logo. It's just not super clear when I convert them to .png format. If the "WISCONSIN" logo doesn't look good, I may end up using just the "W" logo.

preview (resized).jpgpreview (resized).jpg

#1349 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Finally ordered my decals for my Wisconsin Badgers vs Minnesota Gophers. I needed to print white on clear, so I went with a 5" x 5" custom window decal from Vistaprint. Even with shipping it was under $10. The size was actually more then enough to get the logos and numbers. I was filling the extra space with some other random stuff, including some decals for the goalie masks. I'll post pictures when they arrive. I'm probably still the most nervous about the Wisconsin logo. It's just not super clear when I convert them to .png format. If the "WISCONSIN" logo doesn't look good, I may end up using just the "W" logo.

Good idea on the vistaprint, that's even easier than what I was doing which was printing them myself. I'll have to check them out.

#1350 5 years ago

So the Vistaprint clear decals are a pain in the butt to get them to stick to the players. If I were to redo it I might try superglue. I used a 3M adheasive and then painted over them with a clear. The key was using heat after each step. I sat with each player under heat and used a tweezers to move and press the decals down. They are by no means perfect, but when they are mounted under the dome, I think they will look just fine. I'm going to put another 3-4 coats of clear over them then install them.

20180628_213755 (resized).jpg20180628_213755 (resized).jpg

There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/27?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.