Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 63.
    #1201 6 years ago
    Quoted from Quarterear:

I am in the process of customizing my Superchexx audio completely overriding the original sounds and adding my own. I am adding goal horns, commentary when scoring and saving, end of game horns, organ music, lights, etc. This is will be customized to the team so for example, I will have the TV commentators, horns, etc all custom to my team. I'm considering making these as a kit for all teams. Anyone interested in purchasing something like this and how much would you pay for it?

Which generation? If it’s Super Chexx Pro, I would be in, as I am going to order a Penguins Edition soon

#1202 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

I could swear I seen those in a thread and the poster said they were custom made. Not something yo can purchase!

The nets I am looking for were original equipment on the first generation of Super Chexx. See the flyer below or click on the link to see a larger version of the flyer.

https://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=arcadedb&id=1359&image=1

A forum member did contact me regarding how he converted the standard nets into a version of the older nets. I must say it was a very well done conversion!

flyer (resized).jpgflyer (resized).jpg

#1203 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ookpik:

The nets I am looking for were original equipment on the first generation of Super Chexx. See the flyer below or click on the link to see a larger version of the flyer.
    https://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=arcadedb&id=1359&image=1
    A forum member did contact me regarding how he converted the standard nets into a version of the older nets. I must say it was a very well done conversion!

Oh thanks for the info ..... never knew that!

#1204 6 years ago

Hi Pinsiders...Just finished the players, surface and dasher boards plus I'll be adding a new center ice logo and sponsor logos on the outside and now I am in the process of making a kit for audio modification (It's the Retro 1980 Islanders for me but will be modified to any team) for it. I have audio for the goal horns with the "He shoots, he scores" version if wanted...I also have a national anthem and "Get Ready For This" as the intro. BUT...I ran into a bump where I'm trying to figure out the IC's that are all bunched up in the same area of the PCB. Can anyone share if they know how to read these chips and an easy way to manipulate them? I've also found that the schematic is not the best because the drawings are out of place. If not, I have a plan B. Anyone? I'd be willing to share the finished version to anyone who can provide some serious help. Thanks in advance!20180304_122904 (resized).jpg20180304_122904 (resized).jpg20180304_122534 (resized).jpg20180304_122534 (resized).jpg20180304_122544 (resized).jpg20180304_122544 (resized).jpg20180303_1309462 (resized).jpg20180303_1309462 (resized).jpg

#1205 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Which generation? If it’s Super Chexx Pro, I would be in, as I am going to order a Penguins Edition soon

This is a 3rd Gen version.

#1206 6 years ago

Anyone want some used ice cheap?

Otherwise I am not sure why I’d keep it out of the garbage :/

8458682B-64F5-4A95-9784-1A007AB9C9A4 (resized).jpeg8458682B-64F5-4A95-9784-1A007AB9C9A4 (resized).jpeg

09499F05-2382-451D-B572-BC5F3C648437 (resized).jpeg09499F05-2382-451D-B572-BC5F3C648437 (resized).jpeg

B848FD16-7168-493D-AB03-DB53BDFF1DBD (resized).jpegB848FD16-7168-493D-AB03-DB53BDFF1DBD (resized).jpeg

D371DDB4-4656-4FD7-9C44-667AC3FDF7D6 (resized).jpegD371DDB4-4656-4FD7-9C44-667AC3FDF7D6 (resized).jpeg

#1207 6 years ago

Are you coming to MGC? That looks a bit whiter then mine.

#1208 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

99% sure I will be! I have it currently inside the box the new ice came in. Plays fine but the crack at the goalie would need to be taped or fixed.

Now if I could get someone going to mgc to have 1 player for sale :-p used and beat is fine, it will be painted.

#1209 6 years ago

Not sure if this was mentioned before, gotta gripe on the new PRO. Volume doubles when you get to about 30 sec left in game and then into overtime. I asked for the fix on this, the result was getting a new board. That did not fix the problem. What they did was they fixed it so when the volume is muted the sound does not come on as the game approaches overtime. Ok so mute didn't work due to the volume doubling as you approach overtime. Why not create an option in the SW to not have the volume double as the game progresses. This is a home used machine not an arcade unit. HOME USED. I have it in the basement and still when volume is set for 2 (pretty low) it doubles to 4 and then you can hear it 2 floors up in the kids rooms. That is ridiculous lazy sw engineering at its finest. I asked for a fix and they decided to just fix the mute button so that the sound does not come on when muted which i get that is a pretty serous one as well but just make an option to turn that feature off. The feature is there to make it more exciting in an arcade. With home use, it sucks. I guess i gotta keep it at volume #1 now so that when it goes to OT its at the max volume i want it at. Still great game with LCD boards but man love to talk to the engineer that green lighted this feature with no way to control it.

#1210 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Did you try to use a Magic Eraser on your existing one?

#1211 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Did you try to use a Magic Eraser on your existing one?

Yes, I tried lots of different cleaners, including Magic Erasers. I was almost sure the Peroxide with UV light was going to do the trick, but even that didn't seem to get it white. I almost have the opposite effect as his. My ramps look white and my ice looks yellow.

PS: I might have an extra player. I'm actually going to be painting a set soon, so I'll be bringing them out shortly. The last paint job was Gretzky (Oilers) vs Lemieux (Penguins). This time I'm going to go with Wisconsin Badgers vs Minnesota Gophers.

#1212 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bing_Party:

Not sure if this was mentioned before, gotta gripe on the new PRO. Volume doubles when you get to about 30 sec left in game and then into overtime. I asked for the fix on this, the result was getting a new board. That did not fix the problem. What they did was they fixed it so when the volume is muted the sound does not come on as the game approaches overtime. Ok so mute didn't work due to the volume doubling as you approach overtime. Why not create an option in the SW to not have the volume double as the game progresses. This is a home used machine not an arcade unit. HOME USED. I have it in the basement and still when volume is set for 2 (pretty low) it doubles to 4 and then you can hear it 2 floors up in the kids rooms. That is ridiculous lazy sw engineering at its finest. I asked for a fix and they decided to just fix the mute button so that the sound does not come on when muted which i get that is a pretty serous one as well but just make an option to turn that feature off. The feature is there to make it more exciting in an arcade. With home use, it sucks. I guess i gotta keep it at volume #1 now so that when it goes to OT its at the max volume i want it at. Still great game with LCD boards but man love to talk to the engineer that green lighted this feature with no way to control it.

Between this and the news about the Boo button not being as responsive...I’m starting to feel some regret parting with my Super Chexx in a deal for a Twilight Zone...was planning on getting a pro. Ugh

#1213 6 years ago

Between this and the news about the Boo button not being as responsive...I’m starting to feel some regret parting with my Super Chexx in a deal for a Twilight Zone...was planning on getting a pro. Ugh

I love my pro. More than my pins. That’s saying something. I’ve noticed the volume increase, but mine doesn’t seem that dramatic. Boo button makes me sad tho. Hoping for a software fix for this.

#1214 6 years ago

Between this and the news about the Boo button not being as responsive...I’m starting to feel some regret parting with my Super Chexx in a deal for a Twilight Zone...was planning on getting a pro. Ugh</blockquote

The boo button does work...sometimes its hard to distinguish it. But it works, if you hit it, it sounds more realistic i guess. Not nearly as loud and prominent but realistic like crowd jeers.

My volume is set at 2 and when it doubles it breaks that limit of upstairs hearing it. I set it at 1 but then its just too low...so in my basement i can't get to a happy medium. So I will keep it low.

Funny thing i agree with Paynemic, this thing is more fun than my pins too. I got GB, Kiss 1978, and Sopranos and there is nothing like the one on one madness of the bubble hockey.

#1215 6 years ago

Give it time....like everything else in this hobby it's only time before someone has hacked the game and is fixing issues and adding to it!

#1216 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Give it time....like everything else in this hobby it's only time before someone has hacked the game and is fixing issues and adding to it!

I hope so...someone mentioned finding the goal score sound files and was working on changing them out. Would love a Pens game with Mike Lange goal calls on goal scores! “She wants to sell my monkey!”

#1217 6 years ago

Just ordered a new pro direct from the factory.

#1218 6 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

Just ordered a new pro direct from the factory.

You wont be disappointed!

#1219 6 years ago

The sound replacement is open to everyone already I thought? Just have to dig in your Sd card

#1220 6 years ago

Finally getting around to custom painting Wisconsin vs Minnesota. I started out by spraying a base count and then did a rough brush for colors. My plan is to then do a wash over them get them to look a bit less "plasticy". I have problems getting over the fact that they are not perfect and I think the wash is going to help me to get over that. It's really silly though, because if you look at your standard chexx figure the painting if horrible. Anyway, below is an example of where I'm at. This figure still needs to have the face and stick painted. Then over everything with a brown wash. Last the decal logo and numbers will be applied.

20180320_151756 (resized).jpg20180320_151756 (resized).jpg
    Gopher Logo (resized).pngGopher Logo (resized).png

#1221 6 years ago

Holy details!

#1222 6 years ago

Ugg...so I learned it's very tough to add a wash on top of white. I still like it better then the sharp white, but I wish I would have used a much lighter wash.

20180321_211251 (resized).jpg20180321_211251 (resized).jpg

20180321_211218 (resized).jpg20180321_211218 (resized).jpg

#1223 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Ugg...so I learned it's very tough to add a wash on top of white. I still like it better then the sharp white, but I wish I would have used a much lighter wash.

Those are the "throwback jerseys"

#1224 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Yeah, I don't totally mind that. It kind of give the feeling that it's a timeless matchup.

Goalies...I might still try to do some type of design on the masks, but perhaps it would be easier to just print out some really small decals.
    20180322_083621 (resized).jpg20180322_083621 (resized).jpg

#1225 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Yeah, I don't totally mind that. It kind of give the feeling that it's a timeless matchup.
    Goalies...I might still try to do some type of design on the masks, but perhaps it would be easier to just print out some really small decals.

Those look awesome!

#1226 6 years ago

Thanks, I think it's like anything you work on personally...you see all the flaws. I remember that happening when I tiled the floor in my basement bathroom. As I was laying it all I could see where the areas that weren't perfect. It was really bothering me, but then I went upstairs and looked at the tile in my upstairs bathroom it was much worse. Because I didn't do the work myself, I never noticed all the imperfections. Hopefully this is the same.

#1227 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Thanks, I think it's like anything you work on personally...you see all the flaws. I remember that happening when I tiled the floor in my basement bathroom. As I was laying it all I could see where the areas that weren't perfect. It was really bothering me, but then I went upstairs and looked at the tile in my upstairs bathroom it was much worse. Because I didn't do the work myself, I never noticed all the imperfections. Hopefully this is the same.

I do the same stuff....and when someone else does work for me, I get ticked cause I look at it and think I could have done it better, and what did I pay them all that money for?!!?

#1228 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Finally getting around to custom painting Wisconsin vs Minnesota. I started out by spraying a base count and then did a rough brush for colors. My plan is to then do a wash over them get them to look a bit less "plasticy". I have problems getting over the fact that they are not perfect and I think the wash is going to help me to get over that. It's really silly though, because if you look at your standard chexx figure the painting if horrible. Anyway, below is an example of where I'm at. This figure still needs to have the face and stick painted. Then over everything with a brown wash. Last the decal logo and numbers will be applied.

My daughter painted one of my teams in Fighting Sioux colors. The other team is still original, kind of St Cloud State colors. I thought of having her paint them maroon and gold, that way they could be both the Bulldogs and the Rodents.

sioux hockey1 (resized).jpgsioux hockey1 (resized).jpg

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1229 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone want some used ice cheap?
    Otherwise I am not sure why I’d keep it out of the garbage :/

Possibly.... where are you located? I'm outside Philly

Dave

#1230 6 years ago

Great forum here. I thought I would join to pick your brains. Anyway, I am building a table and need a template for the ice. Any thoughts of where I could find a PDF template or perhaps measurements between each player slot. I have a set of carrom players and gears and I thought if I was going to build a table I could use the SuperChexx layout, since I like the play of the superchexx rink over the carrom. My only concern is that the men are different sizes. I cant seem to find any info on size differences, I of course realize superchexx is of better quality...... I am more or less building this for my 6 year old so we can have some fun and he can play with his buddies. Any input from you all who obviously know your stuff would be super appreciated!! Thank you mates!!

#1231 6 years ago

Damn, I just realized I can't print the white Wisconsin logo. Printers don't print white, duh. I was planning on the diagonal logo, which is what they use for hockey. Now I might try to just print out the "W" logo with the black outline and then paint the inside by hand.

#1232 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Damn, I just realized I can't print the white Wisconsin logo. Printers don't print white, duh. I was planning on the diagonal logo, which is what they use for hockey. Now I might try to just print out the "W" logo with the black outline and then paint the inside by hand.

Have you looked for white decal paper? I think it exists for this very problem

#1233 6 years ago

It does, but you have to cut out around the white pieces. That's find for simple shapes, but it's not going to work for something like this:

Capture2 (resized).JPGCapture2 (resized).JPG

#1234 6 years ago

You could print white on a clear decal from a place like this. The prices don't look too bad.

https://www.buildasign.com/producttype/decals/car-decal/

#1235 6 years ago

Maybe that could work. I could create and order something like this:

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

PS: The black was just added so you can actually see the white.

#1236 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

It does, but you have to cut out around the white pieces. That's find for simple shapes, but it's not going to work for something like this:

Don't want to do that 6 times eh? Can't blame, I like the other thought above... jersey numbers and names are often white too, I'll need to remember this for when I do mine.

#1237 6 years ago
    Quoted from Evil-Dingo:

Great forum here. I thought I would join to pick your brains. Anyway, I am building a table and need a template for the ice. Any thoughts of where I could find a PDF template or perhaps measurements between each player slot. I have a set of carrom players and gears and I thought if I was going to build a table I could use the SuperChexx layout, since I like the play of the superchexx rink over the carrom. My only concern is that the men are different sizes. I cant seem to find any info on size differences, I of course realize superchexx is of better quality...... I am more or less building this for my 6 year old so we can have some fun and he can play with his buddies. Any input from you all who obviously know your stuff would be super appreciated!! Thank you mates!!

Honestly, I don't think you'd really be able to save money by building it. I think you'd be be better off just selling off the Carrom parts and buying a used Chexx since it will have all the awesome electronics. Or just buying a Carrom.

As far as the Chexx guy size differences, the guys in one corner have longer sticks.

#1238 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Honestly, I don't think you'd really be able to save money by building it. I think you'd be be better off just selling off the Carrom parts and buying a used Chexx since it will have all the awesome electronics. Or just buying a Carrom.
    As far as the Chexx guy size differences, the guys in one corner have longer sticks.

So the chexx guys and carrom guys are the same size then other than the right wings stick? As far as saving money. You would be surprised. The pedestal, table, and surrounds will be out of wood and PVC board. Haven't decided what the ice will be yet, leaning towards thin clear Teflon over painted board. Fabricating channels similar to superchex for the carom gear box's to ride in. Sourced the fiberglass rod in 20' sections locally. I don't want a dome, going with plexi on top of the boards. I like the behind the goal pass ability of the Chexx. Might even stretch the rink out a few inchs to give a little more room. Basic l ghting and basic home made score board hooked to siren. I'll be in in it for under 500.00 with all new gear box's and men.

Dave

#1239 6 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Don't want to do that 6 times eh? Can't blame, I like the other thought above... jersey numbers and names are often white too, I'll need to remember this for when I do mine.

I don't have the skill to cut out letters that at 1 or 2 mm tall.

#1240 6 years ago
    Quoted from Evil-Dingo:

So the chexx guys and carrom guys are the same size then other than the right wings stick? As far as saving money. You would be surprised. The pedestal, table, and surrounds will be out of wood and PVC board. Haven't decided what the ice will be yet, leaning towards thin clear Teflon over painted board. Fabricating channels similar to superchex for the carom gear box's to ride in. Sourced the fiberglass rod in 20' sections locally. I don't want a dome, going with plexi on top of the boards. I like the behind the goal pass ability of the Chexx. Might even stretch the rink out a few inchs to give a little more room. Basic l ghting and basic home made score board hooked to siren. I'll be in in it for under 500.00 with all new gear box's and men.
    Dave

You'll be in it $500 for a game that will essentially be unsellable. Vs. Spending the $1000/$1500ish and getting something that is superior playwise and when you're done with it, will be worth that same amount or more (they've been climbing in value). It's just a matter of whether you want $1000/$1500 sitting in an asset.

I know it seems like you're saving money but it would only be in the short team, long term you'd actually be losing money (plus doing a lot of extra work).

Doing it for a fun project = cool. Doing it to save money = probably not a great idea.

Sorry, don't want to be the negative Nancy, but just want to make sure you think this through. I used to do the same thing, buying the cheapest option or hacking something together to get by, I was dumb, lol. In retrospect I would been better off in almost every case to have spent the extra money up front as the maintenance and time I spent on my own creation just never worked out as good as something quality.

#1241 6 years ago
    Quoted from Evil-Dingo:

Dave

Quoted from Evil-Dingo:

Dave

I don't think your being a negative nanny. I enjoy woodworking and electronics, so yes I am approaching it as a project for myself and son. I have a small wood shop with all the tools necessary and I was electronic component repair in the AF so whatever I build will be well built. The carrom system is pretty simple and I am sure I can build mine to be more durable and resistant to abuse. I like the channel Chexx uses rather that the C-rails Carrom uses. Not really worried about resale, probably keep and pass it on to my son. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback.

I just simply like the player movement layout of the Chexx over the Carrom so if anyone can knows where a template is or at least center on center (player slots) for RW to LW and all the players in between that would be fantastic and much appreciated. I'll post a video on youtube of the finished project.

#1242 6 years ago

Can anyone advise how to remove the ramps behind the goals, are they stuck on? Reason is mine is cracked so want to replace it.

#1243 6 years ago

I had to break mine off and use a razor blade. Interested to learn if there is a better way.

1 week later
    #1244 6 years ago

I've been playing Chexx hockey since back in the late 80's. On Saturday afternoons my friends and I would walk a few miles in the dead heat of summer to the local mall which had an arcade with 3 original Chexx tables. We would toke on a little mother nature outside before heading in and then spend all day in the Air conditioned arcade playing round after round of Chexx. We even had a small plastic Stanley cup that the winner would be able to keep for the week. Good times!! I've always wanted a Chexx for my house and have been looking for years. Right before Christmas this year, I found a mint condition Super Chexx on Craigslist for $$1800. Without thinking I picked up the next day only to find that the base was too big to fit through my game room door. I called Chexx and the support person told me they sell a "kit" for 100 bucks that will allow me to turn the base into a split base myself ( he said to look on youtube for videos on how to do it). In the meantime, I had the Chexx in my cold, dirty garage for 3 days so the kids and I could enjoy it while I waited on the split base kit. That same week, the transmission went in my car at a coincidental cost of...$1800 bucks. As it was just before Christmas, I had to sell the Chexx table back on Craigslist to offset the car repair and Holiday bills. I was crushed, but had no choice. The table was sold literally 30 minutes after I posted it. After a few months and my money reserves back to normal, my search was back on. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago I was given a yearly work bonus and I decided just to order the new Pro model from the factory as opposed to looking around and still spending 3/4 of what a brand new one would cost anyway. I anxiously check my emails every 5 minutes waiting for the email that the table is being shipped. I really wanted to get an NHL version with Flyers vs Rangers, but I had to stay within a budget and just went with the basic deluxe home version with split red base. Its actually ok with me because the players will match the videos that play on the jumbotron anyway. So my only concerns are that the Boo button is not actually a Boo anymore and some have said that there is a delay between when the button is pushed and when the sound actually plays. I have watched a few videos and I have seen that the Boo is more of a jeer and saw once where it did take a while to play. To me, the Boo button is critical. That's the only option you have to disrupt an opponent when they are purposely wasting time or if they are setting up a shot in front of your goalie. I asked the sales rep who sent me a conformation email about my purchase and she had said that she checked with engineering and was told that 2 sounds cannot play at the same time, meaning the Boo will only play if no other sound is playing or after the current sound is done. I cant say I like that. I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and some have said that there is a way to change the sounds on the SD card. If anyone has actually done that please let me know the process. I definitely want the original Boo back and maybe add/delete a few others like the full version national anthem. What they have on the Super Chexx is exactly enough anthem. All in all though, the new Pro looks great and I literally cannot wait for it to get here. I Lay in bed before falling asleep like a kid on Christmas eve hoping that the email will come saying the table has shipped.

#1245 6 years ago
    Quoted from DForce7800:

That sounds like it's way above my pay grade!
    I did, however, change the [Future] anthem song (which is the USA Anthem by default), with a new WAV file; a clip of the Hungarian Sabres Dance song. Yes, it is a pretty annoying, unless you are a Sabres fan, I guess.

I have a new pro coming next week and would love to know how you changed around the sound file. Contact me @ gshick21069@hotmail,com when you get a chance and thanks.

#1246 6 years ago

Just got the latest version of Super Chexx with the LCD Display. Pretty neat, game play is still the same which is what we love but the lighting is a huge upgrade especially when you score. Really cool!

20180328_145257 (resized).jpg20180328_145257 (resized).jpg

#1247 6 years ago

Wanted to buy a Super Chexx Pro $1700 for nice used or $2700 for new Pro, or $3300 for new Pro with custom players.

#1248 6 years ago
    Quoted from WannabeWizard:

Wanted to buy a Super Chexx Pro $1700 for nice used or $2700 for new Pro, or $3300 for new Pro with custom players.

Not sure I understand correctly .. but if you are saying you can get a nice, used Super Chexx Pro for $1700, that’s the deal to get. You can buy the custom upgrade kits for $450. That’s $2150 for a used custom Pro model.

#1249 6 years ago

Where can you get custom players from?

Not sure I understand correctly .. but if you are saying you can get a nice, used Super Chexx Pro for $1700, that’s the deal to get. You can buy the custom upgrade kits for $450. That’s $2150 for a used custom Pro model.

#1250 6 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Where can you get custom players from?

ICE direct

There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.