Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 63.
    #1001 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingDaddy:

Any advice on latest best LED’s to use to upgrade lighting?

Do you have an original CHEXX? This is what I used:

http://gameroominfo.com/2016/11/07/bubble-hockey-lighting-upgrade/

I think if you have a Super Chexx you have the florescent blub and that doesn't apply though.

#1002 6 years ago

Any new thoughts/comments on the new Pro models? Everyone too busy playing? Lol

#1003 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I was wondering that too. I keep debating on whether it would be worth it to upgrade since it's a long term keeper item for me.

#1004 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I keep debating on whether it would be worth it to upgrade since it's a long term keeper item for me.

Exactly!

#1005 6 years ago

I will open it tomorrow to inspect. I won’t however assemble until a few days before Xmas. That’s the plan. If anything changes. And I can’t stand the pain ...I will report ASAP. Looking forward of course

#1006 6 years ago

Bubble has arrived. Inspected. Now boxed up and waiting for Santa.
    Ice
    Surface and guys look great. Loved
    The shirt bonus. The manual is updated nicely.
    Only quip with newer
    Model. Wish the Black base was more glossy. I’m
    Knit picking but it’s definetly lighter and more a dull
    Material than my CX-83 model. Any tips on what I can apply to it to make that plastic pop more ?

4601C4D0-412D-4F4B-887B-33EBE2AA1260 (resized).jpeg4601C4D0-412D-4F4B-887B-33EBE2AA1260 (resized).jpeg

607ED201-0F03-46E1-B26E-0CB930FE9559 (resized).jpeg607ED201-0F03-46E1-B26E-0CB930FE9559 (resized).jpeg

#1007 6 years ago

Eye candy!

#1008 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Was just told mine is shipping from the factory to them next week by player1 and look forward to sharing experience in the next two weeks....holy macanah....right before Christmas...pretty exciting stuff!

#1009 6 years ago

That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing pics!

Congratulations!

Sooo jealous!

#1010 6 years ago

So for the love of hockey

The sent a 18 wheeler for a private residence job. There was no way for him to pass over my small
    Bridge. He was ready to cancel but I said no way. I’ll take it here
    So grabbed the dolly and proceeded to push each box half a mile up a hill over a
    Bridge to
    My house. My 5 year old has already asked what it is ...I told
    Him diapers for
    His younger brother.

BC71A65E-52CC-47D4-9C8C-89F6A5D3AD1D (resized).jpegBC71A65E-52CC-47D4-9C8C-89F6A5D3AD1D (resized).jpeg

7C2DE92A-9A70-4769-825D-70F8E95A4226 (resized).jpeg7C2DE92A-9A70-4769-825D-70F8E95A4226 (resized).jpeg

2A2CE637-B138-40A8-A078-B303C668E31B (resized).jpeg2A2CE637-B138-40A8-A078-B303C668E31B (resized).jpeg

#1011 6 years ago

Up hill both ways and you have to wait until Xmas?? congrats you’ll love it!

#1012 6 years ago

Ha. Yeah, my wife and brother are ribin' me pretty good.

#1013 6 years ago

Great story. They did the same thing with my pin. An 18 wheeler on a small cul de sac. Nuts. I think it took them 40 min to turn around after the drop off. I warned them.
    Love the super chexx. I got to get one sometime.

#1014 6 years ago

Love the new Pro. Here's a pic of mine... I live in Tampa and have been a season ticket holder for almost 15 years, so it's nice to finally have one with a Tampa playfield and players (VS. Redwings). They just started producing all 31 teams for ICE surfaces a few months ago.

IMG_0346 (resized).jpgIMG_0346 (resized).jpg

#1015 6 years ago

That’s a nice southern bubble! The bolt looks great on centre ice.

#1016 6 years ago

that looks awesome! great story...

Make sure to show kids reactions when they see it for the first time!!

Are you wrapping the boxes up or just putting a bow on it?

#1017 6 years ago

The plan is to put it together a couple days before Xmas. Then have brother in law or neighbor help me carry it in to front room for Xmas morning. It will be covered with a canvas drop cloth and bow. All customizations will have to wait. Plus, the caveat from wife on buying this was to expedite the basement remodeling because we all know “it can’t live there”

#1018 6 years ago

That sounds like a great plan!

Too much paper to wrap boxes and so doing painters cloth with a bow as well lol...

Wow exciting stuff, I would have killed for,one of,these when I was kid, I had the plastic ones with the thin metal rods that I destroyed often.

#1019 6 years ago

Does anyone here do custom boards ? I had done it in the past to original machine but simply don’t have that free
    Time anymore. Id like to give a list of logos...HNIC, Tim Horton’s, Esso, etc. if anyone can help please let me know. Thanks

#1021 6 years ago

Ottogd, looks fantastic. So you’d be willing to do that for compensation ? Let me know. I don’t know how to private message etc.

#1022 6 years ago

My son and I had a showdown on my refurbished Original Chexx game (yes, this actually was a red/blue game originally). I added a start button at the coin slot, sometime I should probably detail that, much easier than putting in coins.

#1023 6 years ago

Hello. Curious if someone has an idea what can safely be run off the free 12v connection on the cabinet harness. I'm interested in tapping into this to run some led light strips under my cabinet and/or adding a reed switch to the goals that sets off a flashing light when a goal is scored. I'd like to keep mods to the game as simple as possible so adding a couple molex connectors to get the power seems straight-forward enough. I'm just worried if there is the chance of trying to draw too much from that connection and possibly damaging something like the board. Any thoughts? Thanks!

#1024 6 years ago

If you use leds, you should be fine. Pretty low amp draw. What were you going to use for logic to run them?

#1025 6 years ago

I'm hoping to find some 12v leds that can hook up directly to the the 12v supply if I decide to have them on all the time. If I decide to do a goal light, I have a relay timer that I'd hook up to the 12v and trigger the relay with a reed switch attached to the goal ramp.

#1028 6 years ago
    Quoted from albose:

I'm hoping to find some 12v leds that can hook up directly to the the 12v supply if I decide to have them on all the time. If I decide to do a goal light, I have a relay timer that I'd hook up to the 12v and trigger the relay with a reed switch attached to the goal ramp.

At one point I had the underside of the chexx wired with 5050 rgb led strips, an led goal light and a sound board for a goal horn all running off of the internal power supply with no issue. I have definitely overdrawn the power once or twice trying things and the machine resets like like a wpc95 pinball machine does when you have a bad driver board. I think at the time I was trying to run the light strips, sound board and a car beacon with an incandescent bulb. The standard 5050 led strips will hook up to the 12v that comes off of the board. I'm not sure of the limits of the 12v power supply but I'm guessing it's a holdover from the original chexx 12v scoreboard lights. The only thing I could find that would have used it in super chexx was a reference to an optional ticket dispenser which the tech support at ice said isn't even supported in the last software revision.

#1029 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingDaddy:

Any advice on latest best LED’s to use to upgrade lighting?

If you're thinking about building a replacement panel like I did for super chexx I just used 5050 rgb led strips. I have been wondering what different colors of white would look like so I have some bright white, cool white and daylight led strips on order.

#1030 6 years ago

On the new super chexx pro I only get the crowd noise when I hit the boo button? Did someone get offended and they had to change it??

#1031 6 years ago

I’m wondering on the SuperChexx Pro standard can you select teams from the NHL (like a character select) or do you have to get an NHL version of the machine? Also if you get an NHL version, are you stuck with the two teams you get your machine outfitted with on the Jumbotron? Lastly, is the National Anthem configurable in settings and if so does it matter which model?

#1032 6 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

At one point I had the underside of the chexx wired with 5050 rgb led strips, an led goal light and a sound board for a goal horn all running off of the internal power supply with no issue. I have definitely overdrawn the power once or twice trying things and the machine resets like like a wpc95 pinball machine does when you have a bad driver board. I think at the time I was trying to run the light strips, sound board and a car beacon with an incandescent bulb. The standard 5050 led strips will hook up to the 12v that comes off of the board. I'm not sure of the limits of the 12v power supply but I'm guessing it's a holdover from the original chexx 12v scoreboard lights. The only thing I could find that would have used it in super chexx was a reference to an optional ticket dispenser which the tech support at ice said isn't even supported in the last software revision.

Thanks for the comments. If I did overdraw, is there a concern I could damage the board or does it generally just cause the game to reset? I'm pretty confident it should be fine with the LED strip lights but I'm considering adding a rotating "warning" light for the goal light. This would likely be more of a load then the LED strips but I can get one of these warning lights with LEDs as well.

#1033 6 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

If you're thinking about building a replacement panel like I did for super chexx I just used 5050 rgb led strips. I have been wondering what different colors of white would look like so I have some bright white, cool white and daylight led strips on order.

I'd think the cooler the better, but test them out and share some pictures.

#1034 6 years ago
    Quoted from evh347:

I’m wondering on the SuperChexx Pro standard can you select teams from the NHL (like a character select) or do you have to get an NHL version of the machine? Also if you get an NHL version, are you stuck with the two teams you get your machine outfitted with on the Jumbotron? Lastly, is the National Anthem configurable in settings and if so does it matter which model?

You have to select the NHL version to get the NHL teams you want , and yes the team logo is on the jumbo Tron....don’t know mines still in a box not plugged yet, I heard you can select from Two or three, Canada, us, and soviet anthems.

#1035 6 years ago

There were some pictures of the boards a ways back but I don’t recall seeing an SD card or any form of storage... wondering if anyone else did... or if there may be indentifiable roms that could be dumped. There may be an opportunity to swap assets if there is some sort of accessible storage on the boards.

#1036 6 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

There were some pictures of the boards a ways back but I don’t recall seeing an SD card or any form of storage... wondering if anyone else did... or if there may be indentifiable roms that could be dumped. There may be an opportunity to swap assets if there is some sort of accessible storage on the boards.

Someone was kind enough to post pics and there was a microsd card on the board

https://images.pinside.com/b/fe/bfeebaf02bbe82cfef9fe8f20453ab46001405f7/resized/large/bfeebaf02bbe82cfef9fe8f20453ab46001405f7.jpeg

If ICE was smart, and by the board design it looks pretty good, they would lock/encrypt the sd card, similar to a GPS map update. However until someone tries this is all unknown! I would suggest a linux pc first, dump the image and then start checking it out, even a hex editor... if someone could just dump an image and share it, many without the game yet could try to see about changes etc.

#1037 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

If ICE was smart, and by the board design it looks pretty good, they would lock/encrypt the sd card, similar to a GPS map update

Why? It's not like the software is good in anything else. Leaving it where the sound and image files are changeable would lead to increased sales.

#1038 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Why? It's not like the software is good in anything else. Leaving it where the sound and image files are changeable would lead to increased sales.

I imagine there are licensing and royalty considerations to be had. I would think ICE would be required to protect the IP of the companies they are licensing their digital assets from.... just a guess but I suspect there is a level of encryption involved. Still would be interesting to get a look at the image of the sd card and have a look, maybe everything is in the clear and you could swap things out.

#1039 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Knock offs could be made, licensing and proprietary code.... it isn’t open source so it should be encrypted if they had any brains :/

#1040 6 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

I imagine there are licensing and royalty considerations to be had. I would think ICE would be required to protect the IP of the companies they are licensing their digital assets from.... just a guess but I suspect there is a level of encryption involved. Still would be interesting to get a look at the image of the sd card and have a look, maybe everything is in the clear and you could swap things out.

I don't know what encryption has to do with protecting IP in this case. What are you protecting? A couple logo files that are found in a 1000 different places on the web? Sounds that are already found on the web? It's not like there's financial information there. I've seen this trend lately where everyone is over-securing things that don't really need to be secure.

#1041 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Knock offs could be made, licensing and proprietary code.... it isn’t open source so it should be encrypted if they had any brains :/

I'm sure their old software for the past 35 years isn't encrypted, so all of a sudden it's a problem now?

#1042 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I'm sure their old software for the past 35 years isn't encrypted, so all of a sudden it's a problem now?

proprietary boards and burned roms. While rom editing and burning is left to a small few, then owners of a chexx...it is a small market. Look at pinball, that took how long to get to edit the roms and now spike etc. I'm surprised stern hasn't sent a cease and desist to the browser software. In the end it doesn't matter what you or I think. It is their copy written code and they should try to protect it.

#1043 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

proprietary boards and burned roms. While rom editing and burning is left to a small few, then owners of a chexx...it is a small market. Look at pinball, that took how long to get to edit the roms and now spike etc. I'm surprised stern hasn't sent a cease and desist to the browser software. In the end it doesn't matter what you or I think. It is their copy written code and they should try to protect it.

I write embedded software for a living. This isn't some game that can be stolen and given to a million other people like Battlefront, it's software that only runs on a certain board for one purpose. It has no value outside of that game, which is why all pinball software is freely downloadable, it has no purpose without the software. There is a high cost for incorporating all kinds of encryption in projects like this, it causes a lot more work for developers, support staff, and end users.

#1044 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tvpinballs:

On the new super chexx pro I only get the crowd noise when I hit the boo button? Did someone get offended and they had to change it??

I hope the boos are not out of the game and other stuff which I loved, wish they added more quotes and sayings but have not heard from anyone

#1045 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I write embedded software for a living. This isn't some game that can be stolen and given to a million other people like Battlefront, it's software that only runs on a certain board for one purpose. It has no value outside of that game, which is why all pinball software is freely downloadable, it has no purpose without the software. There is a high cost for incorporating all kinds of encryption in projects like this, it causes a lot more work for developers, support staff, and end users.

Well you can ask them if it is important to you Until someone finally snags that SD card out, we have to wait.

#1046 6 years ago

Read through this thread, great info. I was wondering if anyone who has recently ordered can give an estimate on how long the freight shipment took, from NY to your door? I ordered a Wings vs Golden Knights game earlier this week and they said the next shipments will ship on 12/15 and 12/18. I am crossing my fingers -- probably hoping against hope, I realize -- that it gets here by Christmas (to KY).
    I guess even if it's late, the surprise "second Christmas" will catch my kids off guard.

#1047 6 years ago

I ordered mine November 28 they built it December 5 and it shipped December 6th. Freight company called yesterday and is delivering mine today between 10am and 4 pm. I bought pro NHL Blackhawks/ Blues.

#1048 6 years ago

I just received my Super Chexx Pro. The lights and sound are absolutely stunning! Great updates. Lots of fun!

#1049 6 years ago

Mine left factory on 11/28...got it 12/1

#1050 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dexter:

I just received my Super Chexx Pro. The lights and sound are absolutely stunning! Great updates. Lots of fun!

Videos of full game played or it’s not true! LOL!!!

There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/21?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.