Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 63.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

Yes. You need to have a 35" door to fit the non split base through a doorway if i'm not mistaken. I've been researching these and planned for it be my next purchase, untill MMR was announced. Who knows it still my be my next toy.

Not quite true.

The door to my basement is a standard 32" wide and I *almost* couldn't get the base down my lousy, horseshoe-shaped stairs. Scary. It was very tight but I angled it down the ~37" wide stairwell somehow.

#52 10 years ago

IMO it's better to go with the split base as well as the coin door. Figure some day down the road you're going to either move the game or sell it. If you move it, it's easier to do so with the split base. If you ever sell it, it would be best to have the split base and the coin door as your buying audience will be greater. Without the split base you take that potential buyer out of the equation that needs a split base in order to get it in his house and without the coin door you lose those who want the "authentic" look of an arcade game as well as someone that may want to buy it to put in a place of business.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

IMO it's better to go with the split base as well as the coin door. Figure some day down the road you're going to either move the game or sell it. If you move it, it's easier to do so with the split base. If you ever sell it, it would be best to have the split base and the coin door as your buying audience will be greater. Without the split base you take that potential buyer out of the equation that needs a split base in order to get it in his house and without the coin door you lose those who want the "authentic" look of an arcade game as well as someone that may want to buy it to put in a place of business.

I think that the home version though has volume and power on the outside of the game, which is huge plus. The coin op one I had you basically just unplugged every time, kind of annoying...maybe they've fixed that now. I'm guessing you could add the coin door to the home version if you ever needed to.

#54 10 years ago

With the split base you can get it though 32" doors. If I remember correctly you have to put one side of the top though first at an angle (on it's side). I remember getting it into my basement room myself...then when I had help moving it out it was much more difficult. It's all about the technique.

#55 10 years ago

I will have to measure when I get home but I got my base through my doorway 31-32". The base has to be turned fit through but got it in. I did remove the top from the base.

#57 10 years ago

I have an original. I wish I could find the red grips and bumpers for it. Someone replaced mine with the newer black ones. The nice thing about not having the shots on goal is the scoreboard doesn't block as much of your view. Also I really like the old school synth sounds. You can easily turn on/off the game with the switch inside the coin door. I just leave it unlocked.

A question for people who have an original, does your volume turn all the way down? Mine does not and I have double checked the schematics and all components and wiring are correct.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

I have an original. I wish I could find the red grips and bumpers for it.

I have a complete extra set of original red grips and bumpers. Gimme a PM if you're interested.

20131111_134159.jpg20131111_134159.jpg
    #59 10 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

I have an original. I wish I could find the red grips and bumpers for it. Someone replaced mine with the newer black ones. The nice thing about not having the shots on goal is the scoreboard doesn't block as much of your view. Also I really like the old school synth sounds. You can easily turn on/off the game with the switch inside the coin door. I just leave it unlocked.
    A question for people who have an original, does your volume turn all the way down? Mine does not and I have double checked the schematics and all components and wiring are correct.

My problem is I have kids, can't leave the coin door open. That's why the home version is appealing to me at $200 cheaper.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

My problem is I have kids, can't leave the coin door open. That's why the home version is appealing to me at $200 cheaper.

You don't need to leave the coin door open. You can turn the game on free play and all they need to do is press the "BOO/EJECT" button to start a game. When finished you can either just unplug the game or open the coin door and turn it off.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

You don't need to leave the coin door open. You can turn the game on free play and all they need to do is press the "BOO/EJECT" button to start a game. When finished you can either just unplug the game or open the coin door and turn it off.

Would you want:

a) your 4 year old plugging or unplugging your game? Or opening the coin door to turn it off?

or

b) flipping an on/off switch

That's why it's preferable to me to have the home version. It makes sense, how annoying would it be if you had to plug or unplug your pinball machine every time you used it (I've done it, it's super annoying, lol)? Same thing...I'm not saying it's better, but for my particular situation it would be. I had a Super Chexx 2 1/2 years ago, and the plug in thing was an issue because of kids coming over and wanting to play when I'm not there. It was that experience which makes me favor the home if possible.

#62 10 years ago

I leave my Super Chexx in the on position, and just use an x-10 module w/remote to turn it on and off.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from blimpey:

I leave my Super Chexx in the on position, and just use an x-10 module w/remote to turn it on and off.

That's what I would do if I acquired a coin-op one again, some sort of power device that makes it easy for the kids while keeping them safe.

#64 10 years ago

Now willing to pay $4 more than taylor34 is.

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Now willing to pay $4 more than taylor34 is.

Haha, nice. At this point, doesn't seem to matter as nobody has one to sell anyways.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

My problem is I have kids, can't leave the coin door open.

I have the same issue. So I went to home depot (my local hardware store sucks but thats a different story) and bought a switched outlet. (the one that has a switch for one of the outlets). Put it in an electrical box. Cut the female end off an extension cord. Wired the female end to the switch so that the outlet is hot when the switch is flipped. Plug Chexx into the outlet, plug the male end of the extension cord.

Lock the coin door and there you go. You turn the game on and off with the switch instead of having to go into the game.

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from bintzknocker:

I have the same issue. So I went to home depot (my local hardware store sucks but thats a different story) and bought a switched outlet. (the one that has a switch for one of the outlets). Put it in an electrical box. Cut the female end off an extension cord. Wired the female end to the switch so that the outlet is hot when the switch is flipped. Plug Chexx into the outlet, plug the male end of the extension cord.
    Lock the coin door and there you go. You turn the game on and off with the switch instead of having to go into the game.

If your wall are already finished, wouldn't it be difficult to wire in the "switched outlet". Would be a great solution if it was already done. I guess, if you're in an area where there is no moisture you might be able to run the wiring behind the baseboard. I guess you could also fish the wire directly above the outlet. Still...not up to code and not really an easy fix.

Also to the best of my knowledge any cheep outlet can be turned into a switched outlet. They have a breakable connection between the two outlets. At that point you just need to wire them correctly.

PS: Just to be a troll, with the debate over the MMR. Wouldn't you pay a premium for an original Chexx?

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

If your wall are already finished, wouldn't it be difficult to wire in the "switched outlet". Would be a great solution if it was already done. I guess, if you're in an area where there is no moisture you might be able to run the wiring behind the baseboard. I guess you could also fish the wire directly above the outlet. Still...not up to code and not really an easy fix.
    Also to the best of my knowledge any cheep outlet can be turned into a switched outlet. They have a breakable connection between the two outlets. At that point you just need to wire them correctly.
    PS: Just to be a troll, with the debate over the MMR. Wouldn't you pay a premium for an original Chexx?

Haha, no, I wouldn't pay a premium for an original chexx. In fact I'd definitely discount it, I'd rather have the newer electronics and shots on goal (plus the newer ones look better in my opinion, some of the older bases and bubbles don't look so good anymore...you can replace them pretty easily, but you're better off with the newer one in the first place then).

1 week later
    #69 10 years ago
    Quoted from shirkle:

Like pinball, minor mods can be made.

Just added one in my game room...a ton of fun!!

Any recommendations for speaker swap? sound is a little lame.

-Mauro

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

Just added one in my game room...a ton of fun!!
    Any recommendations for speaker swap? sound is a little lame.
    -Mauro

What year is your's? I have one from 2005 and the speaker produces great sound. It might be a matter of just updating to the current speaker ICE uses?

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

What year is your's?

Just bought in NIB last week, maybe I've been too spoiled with pinball pro speakers in my pins.

#72 10 years ago

I just purchased a machine from Mesz and must say that the room looks even better in person than the pictures show.

Great seller and awesome game room / bar...all he needs to do to make it better is swap out the Penguins stuff for some NJ Devils gear!

I also have a Superchexx that I bought 10 years ago, still a great game, only downfall is you have to have someone to play with. My son is now 9 and he is really getting into it, so it has been a blast. I recently upgraded it to the NHL version with Devils vs. Rangers, it came with new players, new ice, stickers for the base of both teams, stickers for the scoreboard with the names of the teams and sideboard stickers with the logos of all the NHL teams. Well worth the upgrade!

Good luck in your search for one!

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

Just bought in NIB last week, maybe I've been too spoiled with pinball pro speakers in my pins.

Yeah that will do it!

Quoted from eharan:

I just purchased a machine from Mesz and must say that the room looks even better in person than the pictures show.
    Great seller and awesome game room / bar...all he needs to do to make it better is swap out the Penguins stuff for some NJ Devils gear!

Thanks Ed for the compliments and I thought about changing everything up to Devils stuff but I was told it would depreciate the value of my home by 30%!

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from eharan:

I also have a Superchexx that I bought 10 years ago, still a great game, only downfall is you have to have someone to play with. My son is now 9 and he is really getting into it, so it has been a blast. I recently upgraded it to the NHL version with Devils vs. Rangers, it came with new players, new ice, stickers for the base of both teams, stickers for the scoreboard with the names of the teams and sideboard stickers with the logos of all the NHL teams. Well worth the upgrade!
    Good luck in your search for one!

Well the search has been pretty lousy so far, lol. I may end up just ordering one.

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Well the search has been pretty lousy so far, lol. I may end up just ordering one.

Here is one in St. Louis on ebaY: http://tinyurl.com/l85762j

A little high in price for this one but maybe email the seller and see if you can work something out if, of course, you're willing to drive 3-3.5 hours to get it!

1 week later
    #76 10 years ago

Finally got my original 6 fathead nhl logos : ) now I need to find sponsor stickers for the boards, anyone have leads where I can buy some?

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #77 10 years ago

Montreal Canadians are flying !!! Couldn't resist posting this ; ) GO HABS GO !!!

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #78 10 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

Finally got my original 6 fathead nhl logos : ) now I need to find sponsor stickers for the boards, anyone have leads where I can buy some?

Just find the logos you want online and print on sticker paper.

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

image.jpg 183 KB

SICK! So jealous of all you guys and your ROOM.

2 weeks later
    #81 10 years ago

Here's mine beside my Forum seat (signed by #4 too).Habs.jpgHabs.jpg

#82 10 years ago

I bought aftermarket players for my machine. I dont feel the need to paint the cabinet or anything else other then the players. No more USA Canada for me, both sets will be sandblasted and repainted different teams. I know i am getting the red Wings, dont know the other team though, the wife made the order an they are wrapped under the tree. I do know that the other set in the box is not Toronto, due to white jerseys, they will be the first set painted.

124.JPG124.JPG 129.JPG129.JPG
    2 weeks later
    #84 10 years ago

I'd order one new.

#85 10 years ago

Had some custom decals made up for mine, heres a look. Also have the center ice logo for Joe Louis Arena coming with the order. Few more parts and i can start a restoration.

** Edited, wrong picture **

Dasher - Home Goal Side - John.jpgDasher - Home Goal Side - John.jpg
    #86 10 years ago

We just bought a gorgeous 2004 Super Chexx for ourselves, esp. my 9 year old son. Got a fair deal off CL. Worked like a dream, only 174 games on the counter, looked brand new.

Of course, we now have a slight glitch I was hoping someone else may experienced before. After finishing a game, it automatically starts a new one w/out hitting the eject/boo button. Anyone have this problem before?

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I'd order one new.

I was actually thinking about it right after Christmas, but I've noticed that prices on the used ones are weakening again after shooting way up the past 3 months. I think if I am patient prices will continue to fall into the Spring back to their normal range, if I don't find one sooner.

#88 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Had some custom decals made up for mine, heres a look. Also have the center ice logo for Joe Louis Arena coming with the order. Few more parts and i can start a restoration.
    ** Edited, wrong picture **

Dasher - Home Goal Side - John.j... 99 KB

Nice work! I love how you included pinball companies!

#89 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Nice work! I love how you included pinball companies!

Spencer, not my work, i found the logos and am letting someone else size and print them out in a high gloss durable sticker. I only used a few that are actually on the dasher boards, and i added some Dubbbs flavor. Other strip will be shown when installed

#90 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Spencer, not my work, i found the logos and am letting someone else size and print them out in a high gloss durable sticker. I only used a few that are actually on the dasher boards, and i added some Dubbbs flavor. Other strip will be shown when installed

Yeah, I did read that, just meant great idea on your part, they will look amazing.

#91 10 years ago

I would love to find one of these. Unfortunately they are $1600+ around me for some reason.

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from loanguy7171973:

I would love to find one of these. Unfortunately they are $1600+ around me for some reason.

Thats around the market price, give or take a few hundy..... remember, these games have been in production since the 80's, still available new, and most people buy them for keeps.

#93 10 years ago

I was fortunate to be able to get one of the Labatt Blue Beer ice surfaces for my CHEXX machine. This worked out nice as I already had my dasher boards done with different beer logos!

IMG_0983.JPGIMG_0983.JPG
    #94 10 years ago

You guys might enjoy this- I had a "game room" instead of dancing for my wedding reception. Here we are in the midst of our bubble hockey tournament...this is the Chexx I completely restored by powder coating the cabinet, repainting the base, getting decals made, new dome, and superbright LED for the playfield lights. I put a credit button on the lower coindoor just for the day so no one would have to open it. We all got a good laugh when it started playing "Charge!" loudly from the other room while the minister said a blessing for our dinner.
    2G5A3173-2681934577-O.jpg2G5A3173-2681934577-O.jpg
    And just for kicks, here are the bride and groom playing the multicade cocktail (she loves Frogger, I like Galaga and Ms. Pac), with SWEP1 in the background (several Star Wars fans were in attendance and appreciated that pin).
    2G5A3214-2681936959-O.jpg2G5A3214-2681936959-O.jpg

#95 10 years ago

Wow... bubble hockey... gotta get me one of those. My son would love this game.

#96 10 years ago

Question for those of you who own one - if you were going to buy new direct from ICE, would you spend the extra $500 for the NHL vs the standard red v. Blue? Worth it? I'm planning on ordering one soon, but keep going back and forth between the red v. Blue and a Red Wings v. Blue Jackets. I get to about 3-4 Blue Jackets games a year, and maybe one Red Wings. Wings tickets are much much harder to get and generally more expensive.

#97 10 years ago
    Quoted from DJSLYKE:

Bump for an awesome game! I don't know if I would ever sell mine. I put a lot of hours into this bad boy and I still have some more things I want to design for it. I changed it to the 97' Penguins vs 2010 Blackhawks. IMG_0452.JPG 1.8 MB IMG_0453.JPG 1.6 MB IMG_0454.JPG 1.6 MB

Watching pens game as I type this up. Love it let me know if find any players to switch move to pens as I do think I have the patience to paint mine.

#98 10 years ago

I have a similar version which is made by Halex, has glass boards and metal nets, NHL approved. Still fun and way less expensive and no maintenance issues. Had to get a pin bec can't play by myself and get my friends to play as I destroy them. Never lost a game since I owned it. Here is picture of my table.Also added picture of my table hockey that was my fathers. I remember playing this when I was young and is old for sure.

image-953.jpgimage-953.jpg image-472.jpgimage-472.jpg
    #99 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Thats around the market price, give or take a few hundy..... remember, these games have been in production since the 80's, still available new, and most people buy them for keeps.

What's unfortunate (for me) is that there has been a random uptick in the price the last few months. When I sold mine a couple years ago, I struggled for a month to get $800...so there's definitely been greater interest than normal lately, because there definitely was ZERO interest a couple years ago.

I could buy a regular chexx for $1k right now but I think I'd rather have the super for the shots on goal and hopefully updated electronics. They don't play any different but if you're going to put a bunch of time into rehabbing it and keep it forever (like I would) then might as well start with the Super. I can't even locate a Super close to me though, which is somewhat unusual as there's usually always at least one on the local craigslist.

1 month later
    #100 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Thank you John for sharing your custom decal contact. I received my proofs and this baby is gonna look awesome!

-Mauro

There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.