Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,779 posts
  • 386 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by Sirgubster9
  • Topic is favorited by 137 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20211105_175636_152~2 (resized).jpg
    16387641760811336682111019776995 (resized).jpg
    66E5ECB0-DDFB-481A-8798-E11A08F321F4 (resized).jpeg
    C17FCDAE-7AD4-4889-99E9-0A2E0AE5BB6C (resized).jpeg
    78843695-1C76-44E4-BEEC-44881E218FF6 (resized).jpeg
    394D2F60-CF84-497C-A8B7-587079268883 (resized).jpeg
    ECD86595-2B95-4F4E-98A9-489786F03B16 (resized).jpeg
    1034E777-4E2F-4CB1-83D9-8D8F3048D86B (resized).jpeg
    20211119_203956 (resized).jpg
    20211118_120515 (resized).jpg
    20211116_204855 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 5.31.13 PM (resized).png
    20211116_204902 (resized).jpg
    20211116_204924 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211113_182053835 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211113_182022581 (resized).jpg

There are 2,779 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 56.
    #851 4 years ago

Question for those of you with ICE factory NHL Edition models:

Does the paint of the teams chip and flake off a lot?

I had a guy custom paint two teams and after a short while, they started chipping and leaving flakes on the ice surface. I put original blue vs red back in and added USA and CANADA decals.

I am going to sell my game (pic attached) and upgrade to the new model, a Stanley Cup Penguins Edition. But before I do, just wanted to get feedback on the quality of the painted ICE players. I may need to order extra generic teams if there are known issues.

577E7C5E-43D1-450F-B6DC-135F32988DAD (resized).jpeg

5E3EEEAA-8582-4C94-93F5-16BB4433595C (resized).jpeg

#852 4 years ago

I hope the new edition has the ability to program the scoreboard by user. I like to change teams from time to time. Would just make different ptouch labels for the scoreboard. With screen, that won’t be possible.

#853 4 years ago
    Quoted from ChadNC:

So I spoke with ICE today. The new Chexx price will be about a 200.00 price increase and the official new pricing will be listed once the website is updated.

That doesnt sound bad at all! Awesome.

#854 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

but more often than not the chips are bad (especially sound) and thus the board can not be fully repaired.

They fixed my BOO and a few other small issues

Quoted from catboxer:

Just a bunch of 16pin ICs that can be shotgunned

Do you know anyone who offers this service?

#855 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I am going to sell my game (pic attached) and upgrade to the new model, a Stanley Cup Penguins Edition.

I wonder how many people will look to sell and upgrade. It's probably going to be a decent time to find a Chexx for those who have been looking for one.

PS: I'm also curious about your flaking question. I'm wondering just how many layers of clear are needed to protect the paint.

#856 4 years ago
    Quoted from jasonp:

They fixed my BOO and a few other small issues

Do you know anyone who offers this service?

I repaired mine myself. I will send you a PM.

#857 4 years ago

I hear the ice painted guys hold up well. Custom ones need some clear to help, but yeah they’re I’ll get beat up and flake maybe...

#858 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

the connection inside the score board that goes to power/data the side flickering should be checked out, could be a bad connection in the score board or under the ice... Where are you seeing the ribbon cable/wires look sketchy?
    Shots on goal are not registering on one goal? Check the magnet sensors under the ice. It is the long rectange that goes in front of the goalie, one of mine was bad when I got my 83'. You can order them from ICE if you need a replacement. I would swap them and see if the issues follows.
    I just had my dome buffed, but the 3m headlight kit made it worse. I ended up having my car detailer do mine. mmm it doesn't look clear like a new dome, but the big scratches are out with nice little ones. So you really have to take your time and buff from low to super high 2000+ grit wet sanding to get it nice. I only did the outside but I see some on the inside too. At this point I'm leaving it, the ~$450 dome shipped isn't worth the price just yet....

Neither side registers shots. The ribbon cable is the long one connecting to the board. Wires really thin and a couple wires are the left are just cut and don’t go anywhere. Looks like maybe a hack job on replacing the connector... and to get it to work I had to move the connector so the right slot is over one space and no pin into it.

#860 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinchamp:

Neither side registers shots. The ribbon cable is the long one connecting to the board. Wires really thin and a couple wires are the left are just cut and don’t go anywhere. Looks like maybe a hack job on replacing the connector... and to get it to work I had to move the connector so the right slot is over one space and no pin into it.

The ribbon cable is that gray data cable, 8 pins maybe? I can open mine up and take pics. You probably want a new cable and new molex connector for the board to solder on.

#861 4 years ago

Just bought the new Pro today. Website back up this afternoon. Miracle on ice for me

#862 4 years ago

is there any videos of the new LCD screen in action?

#863 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I hear the ice painted guys hold up well. Custom ones need some clear to help, but yeah they’re I’ll get beat up and flake maybe...

My ICE guys are fine minus the stickers for the logos. I dont like that part. We wail on my game pretty well, plus kids are playing it some times.

#864 4 years ago

I didn’t see any videos. I was buying one either way for Christmas. So I just had good timing. If I did this a few months ago I’d be a little disappointed. It needed an electronics refresh

#865 4 years ago

I haven't had any flaking problems with my ICE official NHL guys other than some clear flaking off the sticks.

#866 4 years ago

Just got my new ice and goals on my 83’ Chexx. Had league tonight. Man felt good to play Chexx again!!!! Only issue I had was (not sure if it was because of uneven floor) when a goal would happen, the puck eject may take 2-3 times to fire on try 2 it would award a goal to USA. Always USA. If I shook the game it would wiggle he puck and eject fine at each goal. So I think my floor isn’t level but that is an odd issue.

AF7D8A30-E775-41DD-97B8-091854916509 (resized).jpeg

#867 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Just got my new ice and goals on my 83’ Chexx. Had league tonight. Man felt good to play Chexx again!!!! Only issue I had was (not sure if it was because of uneven floor) when a goal would happen, the puck eject may take 2-3 times to fire on try 2 it would award a goal to USA. Always USA. If I shook the game it would wiggle he puck and eject fine at each goal. So I think my floor isn’t level but that is an odd issue.

Actually you want to check the puck chute! If the puck is hitting one side of the chute then you need to adjust the ejector arm! Inspect the Ejector Arm to see if it's bent or if anything is in the chute! If you have a manual, pull it out as there is instructions for correcting this issue!

#868 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Hi NV,

As stated in the response above by meSz you should check out page 14 in the manual from the URL below.

Gord

https://www.icegame.com/images/document/e8d5f310-25da-4ecb-bb0a-7e41ab3847d0/manuals/Super-Chexx-Service-Manual_A.pdf

#869 4 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Actually you want to check the puck chute! If the puck is hitting one side of the chute then you need to adjust the ejector arm! Inspect the Ejector Arm to see if it's bent or if anything is in the chute! If you have a manual, pull it out as there is instructions for correcting this issue!

Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi NV,
    As stated in the response above by meSz you should check out page 14 in the manual from the URL below.
    Gord
    https://www.icegame.com/images/document/e8d5f310-25da-4ecb-bb0a-7e41ab3847d0/manuals/Super-Chexx-Service-Manual_A.pdf

Dang, yes I should of checked/thought of the eject arm. Thanks! I'll have to remove all the guys and check that out.

So I haven't played my chexx in 6-12 months, I had one player that when he would get his stick stuck on another, and you spun the rod, it "clicked" you know the teeth still moving. Is that worn, or is that normal so it doesn't break? I have replaced 1-2 gear boxes but that was super worn and not just some noise as I know they do slip a little?

#870 4 years ago

When a player starts slipping when taking a shot or making a pass, that’s when I know it’s time to change a gear box. It is usually Big Stick, the right winger. His stick is long and gets tied up in the left defensmans legs.

PS. Chicks dig Big Stick! He’s a fan favorite of the ladies. Lots of women in the stands wearing #18 sweaters. Haha!

#871 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

it "clicked" you know the teeth still moving. Is that worn, or is that normal

It's normal as it keeps it from stripping the gear! As Blitzburgh99 states .....................

Quoted from Blitzburgh99:When a player starts slipping when taking a shot or making a pass, that’s when I know it’s time to change a gear

#872 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

When a player starts slipping when taking a shot or making a pass, that’s when I know it’s time to change a gear box. It is usually Big Stick, the right winger. His stick is long and gets tied up in the left defensmans legs.
    PS. Chicks dig Big Stick! He’s a fan favorite of the ladies. Lots of women in the stands wearing #18 sweaters. Haha!

Quoted from meSz:

It's normal as it keeps it from stripping the gear! As Blitzburgh99 states .....................

Perfect! That is a great test then. He only slips when stuck, not shooting. Awesome! Thanks

And I just realized, when the puck didn't eject up but scored, you guys were right. I bet the puck wasn't seated correctly, eject arm goes up, puck rolls up the ramp, triggers the magnet switches to score and rolls back down.

#873 4 years ago

Some of my guys are just plain floaty. The gears seem ok, just the players themselves have a little float in their movement. Like you can twist ever so slightly before they spin. Do their stems get worn, rounded?

#874 4 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Some of my guys are just plain floaty. The gears seem ok, just the players themselves have a little float in their movement. Like you can twist ever so slightly before they spin. Do their stems get worn, rounded?

Could be play/gap in the gears getting bigger before catching. Have you inspected the gear box yet? Or are you thinking all the players feel that way?

#875 4 years ago

That’s probably the problem. It’s only 2-3 of them. I’ll need to swap and test. Thanks!

#876 4 years ago

Like new! Super Chexx in Michigan (30min west of Detroit) $2200

#877 4 years ago

Just got notified that my pro is being shipped Nov 6 so they are moving in time for the holidays

#878 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bing_Party:

Just got notified that my pro is being shipped Nov 6 so they are moving in time for the holidays

I can’t wait until someone gets one! Please post video and thoughts on it!

#879 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Ditto. Can’t believe ICE doesn’t have videos up yet!

#880 4 years ago

Just checking in here as a super chexx owner (3 year old nhl Ed. With Blues vs Blackhawks). I have had zero issues with flaking, for the record.

Pretty stoked to see the led and new scoreboard on the new version. Post pics for sure!

#881 4 years ago

Anyone in New England selling a Super Chex?

#882 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I gotta see. Problem is I am hiding it from my 6 year old till Christmas morning. He plays it in the arcade all the time. I think I will assemble it to make sure it’s working and then rebox it for storage till Christmas Eve when I reassemble for Christmas. Hopefully I get a chance to do this late one night with some friends help.

#883 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bing_Party:

I gotta see. Problem is I am hiding it from my 6 year old till Christmas morning. He plays it in the arcade all the time. I think I will assemble it to make sure it’s working and then rebox it for storage till Christmas Eve when I reassemble for Christmas. Hopefully I get a chance to do this late one night with some friends help.

Assembly of the Super Chexx bubble hockey game is really pretty easy, however, the difficulty factor rises exponentially with a 6-year-old asking you every 30 seconds if it is done yet.

Definitely put it together ahead of time if you have the means to do so. BTW, that is a heck of a nice Christmas gift for your family. Enjoy it.

Gord

#884 4 years ago

I ordered my Super Chexx pro today!!!! How long does it usually take to get it?

#885 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tvpinballs:

I ordered my Super Chexx pro today!!!! How long does it usually take to get it?

When I purchased my Super Chexx Miracle On Ice edition back in 2014 it shipped in 10 days or so from the order date and took another 5 days or so to arrive.

Gord

#886 4 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Assembly of the Super Chexx bubble hockey game is really pretty easy, however, the difficulty factor rises exponentially with a 6-year-old asking you every 30 seconds if it is done yet.
    Definitely put it together ahead of time if you have the means to do so. BTW, that is a heck of a nice Christmas gift for your family. Enjoy it.
    Gord

Thanks for the info..well its a gift the whole family has fun with and of course its a good addition to the pins in the basement. I will put it together to make sure its working and take some vids. I agree it needs to be assembled again Christmas eve as my son would lose his mind while waiting. My son holds all the high scores on Ghostbusters, he does not get fatigued like us old farts lol, but this game he will need time to master!!

#887 4 years ago

#888 4 years ago

#889 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bing_Party:

You will never forget the look on your son's face. I was lucky and hid my son's SupernChex in my warehouse for two weeks and then moved it into the house on xmas eve. He had no idea he was getting it and couldn't believe I snuck it into the house. Your son will remember it the rest of his life

#890 4 years ago

Where’s the audio on these vids?

#891 4 years ago

I can’t believe they’d post videos without audio. Honestly, the videos turned me completely off of upgrading. I’m quite certain if you order an NHL team-specific game, the animations are still the generic players. I thought the animations were cheesy. Even if the sound were AMAZING, it’s not worth it. I could add my own sound clips if I REALLY wanted to, for not that much money. I also saw where someone added their own JUMBOTRON. I’ll just continue modding mine, rather than sink a bunch of money into a new one with cheesy features. JMHO.

#892 4 years ago

Does anyone have a good description for an audio hack. I think some audio would really help Chexx. I took my 6-year old girls to a semi-pro hockey game the other night and we had a great time. The audio in the arena really helps to get everyone pumped up. I'd love to create two playlists for Chexx. One list of clips that randomly plays at face offs and one list that randomly plays after a goal is scored.

After the game it took me quite some time googling to find this song. To get the effect play if from around :39 to :60.

#893 4 years ago

You can get a small audio playback board that will play 9 audio clips based off of triggers. I have one working in these two videos to do goal horns. Since that only uses two of the clips I was thinking of adding some buttons for added taunts. Playing after a goal isn't too bad since you can trigger that the same way you do the light but you only get 4 seconds before the puck is ejected so it will most likely continue to play during your game. I don't know how you would trigger on opening face off but if you added extra buttons you could just press one to play when you wanted it to. To get a true integration where the face offs are delayed for the music to end I think you will have to redo things with a raspberry pi type setup. Handling the inputs for goals doesn't seem too bad but interfacing with the original scoreboard looks difficult on the surface. If anyone has any insight into that I'd like to hear about it.

#894 4 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

You can get a small audio playback board that will play 9 audio clips based off of triggers. I have one working in these two videos to do goal horns. Since that only uses two of the clips I was thinking of adding some buttons for added taunts. Playing after a goal isn't too bad since you can trigger that the same way you do the light but you only get 4 seconds before the puck is ejected so it will most likely continue to play during your game. I don't know how you would trigger on opening face off but if you added extra buttons you could just press one to play when you wanted it to. To get a true integration where the face offs are delayed for the music to end I think you will have to redo things with a raspberry pi type setup. Handling the inputs for goals doesn't seem too bad but interfacing with the original scoreboard looks difficult on the surface. If anyone has any insight into that I'd like to hear about it.
    » YouTube video
    » YouTube video

It sounds like you did the same thing to your chexx that I did here to my foosball:

More info here:

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/31/foosball-table-electronic-sound-system/

The bad part is that the quality isn't the greatest, you'd need a raspberry pi like mentioned above to do it better.

#895 4 years ago

latenite04 taylor34 Could you please post a link of the device you are using. Is it one sound clip per input or could you have an input play a random sound clip? I think it might work to just detach the original sound, so that when you hit the "start / boo" button it starts the game and plays the national anthem or entrance song. I think your idea of creating a second button is a great idea. That could be the "pump up" button. Hit it after a goal or whenever. As long as the clips fade out, I don't think it's a big deal to have them continue while playing.

#896 4 years ago

Mine runs on it's own speaker so it just plays over top of whatever the chexx is playing, which is mostly crowd noise. If you disconnect the original speakers you will loose the crowd noise, oh's, buzzers, and announcing if you have a later edition. This board won't do looping of a track or play a random track and if you want the clip to fade out you would have to edit it that way. taylor34 has sound looping on his foosball so I assume he is using a different board than this.

ebay.com link: 1PCS For Arduino Development Board Voice Playback Module Mp3 Music Player

If you search membrane switches on ebay you should find a wide selection of switches that would mount easily, I was thinking these would work for my purposes.
    ebay.com link: 2pcs 1x4 4 Key Matrix Membrane Switch Keypad Keyboard Super Slim for Arduino r3

#897 4 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

Mine runs on it's own speaker so it just plays over top of whatever the chexx is playing, which is mostly crowd noise. If you disconnect the original speakers you will loose the crowd noise, oh's, buzzers, and announcing if you have a later edition. This board won't do looping of a track or play a random track and if you want the clip to fade out you would have to edit it that way. taylor34 has sound looping on his foosball so I assume he is using a different board than this.
    ebay.com link » 1pcs For Arduino Development Board Voice Playback Module Mp3 Music Player
    If you search membrane switches on ebay you should find a wide selection of switches that would mount easily, I was thinking these would work for my purposes.
    ebay.com link » 2pcs 1x4 4 Key Matrix Membrane Switch Keypad Keyboard Super Slim For Arduino R3

Mine is arduino as well and actually doesn't support looping, I just wrote code to make it do that (and then interrupt it when a goal is scored). The quality is my main issue with the arduino solution, 8 bit mp3's are not that great.

#898 4 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

I have one working in these two videos to do goal horns.

Quoted from taylor34:

It sounds like you did the same thing to your chexx that I did here to my foosball:

Bloody brilliant, both of you!!

I have a pre-announcer SC. Would LOVE to add some Gary Thorne or Rick Lange call audio!

#899 4 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Bloody brilliant, both of you!!
    I have a pre-announcer SC. Would LOVE to add some Gary Thorne or Rick Lange call audio!

You could probably mount sensors under the playfield so when the puck travels over that section a specific clip is played. That would probably give it a bit of a randomized feeling to the callouts.

#900 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

You could probably mount sensors under the playfield so when the puck travels over that section a specific clip is played. That would probably give it a bit of a randomized feeling to the callouts.

Yeh, even if it was just the "Heeeee shoots, he scores" line and a few other randomized goal clips that activate with the goal buzzer, that'd be awesome. What you're describing might require some kind of metal or sensor in the puck, don't you think? Unless I re-did the playfield with a one-way mirror that sensors could see through... Hmmm... I'd LOVE to do even more (like some sort of on-the-fly, spliced-clip play calling, similar to what the AI does in EA sports NHL games). SO MANY possibilities.

There are 2,779 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 56.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside