Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 63.
    #801 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

You looking to sell onesies or all? I just pulled all my players and one of the guys shafts broke in the gear box :/

Already sold them, sorry.

#802 6 years ago

I put up instructions on how to put names and numbers on your players. Hopefully this helps some people out. Link is here:

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/17/putting-numbers-names-chexx-bubble-hockey-players/

Wish I had a printer that printed white!

#803 6 years ago

I have a Miracle on Ice Version, but am looking to customize to our local college hockey program. University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks (formerly Fighting Sioux). I am thinking I would change the base to black, leave the ice mostly alone (maybe add a few decals), but I really need to update my players.

Is there anyone out there that hand paints players that is looking for a project?

#804 6 years ago

Any more info on those LCD screen, Lights, and Replay upgrades? SUPER SWEET. Totally want.

#805 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Any more info on those LCD screen, Lights, and Replay upgrades? SUPER SWEET. Totally want.

No joke right? Can't wait to see it!

#806 6 years ago

The Super Chexx website (bubblehockey.com) now directs to a maintenance page:

SUPER CHEXX PRO coming soon!

Check back later to see more details.

#807 6 years ago
    Quoted from robbo105:

The Super Chexx website (bubblehockey.com) now directs to a maintenance page:
    SUPER CHEXX PRO coming soon!
    Check back later to see more details.

Oh crappis does the PRO now mean Chexx is going to have different models

#808 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Oh crappis does the PRO now mean Chexx is going to have different models

Probably like the iPhone, the pro will be the lcd and the plain super Chexx is the current unit

#809 6 years ago
    Quoted from Parzival:

I have a Miracle on Ice Version, but am looking to customize to our local college hockey program. University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks (formerly Fighting Sioux). I am thinking I would change the base to black, leave the ice mostly alone (maybe add a few decals), but I really need to update my players.
    Is there anyone out there that hand paints players that is looking for a project?

First link from the google machine is this:

http://www.partypucks.com/game-customization.html

#810 6 years ago

Just got my new super chexx- now there's a new model?? Good grief Charlie Brown!!! -well lets hope they do sell and upgrade if they do indeed change the display- great game love it

IMG_20170825_201129 (resized).jpgIMG_20170825_201129 (resized).jpg

#811 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Probably like the iPhone, the pro will be the lcd and the plain super Chexx is the current unit

From what I heard, they didn't have enough parts to make the old electronics anymore, so they had to redo everything a result. Seems unlikely they would have an old style scoreboard anymore unless they redid it with new hardware.

I'm hoping for an upgrade path but it seems unlikely. I think they could make a ton of money if they did.

#812 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

From what I heard, they didn't have enough parts to make the old electronics anymore, so they had to redo everything a result. Seems unlikely they would have an old style scoreboard anymore unless they redid it with new hardware.
    I'm hoping for an upgrade path but it seems unlikely. I think they could make a ton of money if they did.

Problem is letting someone other then them upgrade is a help support nightmare.....

#813 6 years ago

Can anyone verify. While watching the video of the Next Gen it didn't sound like audio of Rick Jeanneret? Maybe it was ...but can anyone verify if the audio is changing? Anyone have any updates?
    I'm trying to make a decision on buying one of the ones left or the pro model.
    Any advise is welcoming

#814 6 years ago

I talked to Ice the other day and was told a few things. Upgrade kits to the new version will not be offered. New version will have LCD with video and NHL content. Different sound. Some LED lighting effects. Actual gameplay is the same, of course. Priced $200 higher across the board.

Oh, and all the old stock was gone almost instantly once they marked it down $200.

#815 6 years ago

They’ll never take my Moog!

#816 6 years ago

So no voice of the Sabres!

#817 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I talked to Ice the other day and was told a few things. Upgrade kits to the new version will not be offered. New version will have LCD with video and NHL content. Different sound. Some LED lighting effects. Actual gameplay is the same, of course. Priced $200 higher across the board.
    Oh, and all the old stock was gone almost instantly once they marked it down $200.

No upgrades? Well, I'm going to have to decide whether it's worth it to buy a new one based upon the price difference. Probably not though.

#818 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

No upgrades? Well, I'm going to have to decide whether it's worth it to buy a new one based upon the price difference. Probably not though.

There may not be an upgrade kit but one would think that they will sell the parts! Annnnnd knowing this community it wont be long after that someone figures out a way to upgrade your existing game!!!

#819 6 years ago

Just purchased a 2003 CANADA vs USA Chexx bubble hockey. Kids are loving it.

Everything seems to function correct except the scoreboard on one side is flickering a bit. The ribbon cable and wires look really sketchy.

Also the shots do not register unless there is a goal scored.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what I might have to do to fix the flickering click and the score tally?

Also is there a way to polish or fix the dome? It looks pretty marked up on the inside it seems...

#820 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinchamp:

Just purchased a 2003 CANADA vs USA Chexx bubble hockey. Kids are loving it.
    Everything seems to function correct except the scoreboard on one side is flickering a bit. The ribbon cable and wires look really sketchy.
    Also the shots do not register unless there is a goal scored.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of what I might have to do to fix the flickering click and the score tally?
    Also is there a way to polish or fix the dome? It looks pretty marked up on the inside it seems...

the connection inside the score board that goes to power/data the side flickering should be checked out, could be a bad connection in the score board or under the ice... Where are you seeing the ribbon cable/wires look sketchy?

Shots on goal are not registering on one goal? Check the magnet sensors under the ice. It is the long rectange that goes in front of the goalie, one of mine was bad when I got my 83'. You can order them from ICE if you need a replacement. I would swap them and see if the issues follows.

I just had my dome buffed, but the 3m headlight kit made it worse. I ended up having my car detailer do mine. mmm it doesn't look clear like a new dome, but the big scratches are out with nice little ones. So you really have to take your time and buff from low to super high 2000+ grit wet sanding to get it nice. I only did the outside but I see some on the inside too. At this point I'm leaving it, the ~$450 dome shipped isn't worth the price just yet....

#821 6 years ago

So here's a couple pics I got
    This is the Next Gen Super Chexx Pro

IMG_2986 (resized).PNGIMG_2986 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2987 (resized).JPGIMG_2987 (resized).JPG

#822 6 years ago

When you start the game it goes dark and then the leds start going off like a light show at the beginning of a game. Pretty awesome

#823 6 years ago

What type of glue or adhesive should I use to reattach the puck sensor on the metal?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#824 6 years ago

Finally got a goal light working. Not sure this will be the final light, but I'm quite happy with it as a $5 version 1.0. I like the size and mounting, but it doesn't quite have the light show I was hoping for. I will be uploading a video shortly.

20171021_214850 (resized).jpg20171021_214850 (resized).jpg

Video Link:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/yJWghJnEZCIFyYXu2

PS: I'm new to Google Photos, please let me know if this works.

#825 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

What type of glue or adhesive should I use to reattach the puck sensor on the metal?

The original stuff seems like an rtv silicone, but gorilla tape has been holding temp ones on mine for a few months.

Quoted from lpeters82:

Finally got a goal light working. Not sure this will be the final light, but I'm quite happy with it as a $5 version 1.0. I like the size and mounting, but it doesn't quite have the light show I was hoping for. I will be uploading a video shortly.

Video Link:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/yJWghJnEZCIFyYXu2
    PS: I'm new to Google Photos, please let me know if this works.

It looks good. The link says it's empty.

#826 6 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

The link says it's empty.

Let's try Youtube then:

#827 6 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

The original stuff seems like an rtv silicone, but gorilla tape has been holding temp ones on mine for a few months.

Ahh. Thanks! I have loctight silicone from a project I was thinking of using or rtv is a good option. Be nice to get it off at a later date :-p

#828 6 years ago

Anyone selling a super chexx in the DC/MD/VA area?

#829 6 years ago

Anyone selling a super chexx in IL/WI/IA/IN area? Lmk

#830 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChadNC:

When you start the game it goes dark and then the leds start going off like a light show at the beginning of a game. Pretty awesome

UGH.

Are we taking bets on the price of Super Chex SLE?

#831 6 years ago

I have a 83' that I'm almost done bringing back to life . I need the original board gone through and fixed . Does anyone do this or have a old board that works . I've already bought the upgraded scoreboard .

#832 6 years ago

I was told by ICE that the prices are going up $500 with the new pro coming out!!

#833 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

I have a 83' that I'm almost done bringing back to life . I need the original board gone through and fixed . Does anyone do this or have a old board that works . I've already bought the upgraded scoreboard .

the original 83' had the MOOG board, all in one. So there is no ability to use an upgraded sound board. do you have a picture of the board you are talking about?

EDIT: OH MY case of the Monday's.... I didn't read your post. You said scoreboard not sound board....wow.
    WHich score board? the one from boston pinball or the ICE one? I have the boston pinball one. LOVE IT.

#834 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tvpinballs:

I was told by ICE that the prices are going up $500 with the new pro coming out!!

Will there be more than one version? Or is the "Pro" going to be there only version?

I'm assuming the Pro has the LCD screen?

#835 6 years ago

Here you go . Everything was working but the scoreboard . The section looks burnt . I also was curious what kind of diodes are used on this board . I can't see any markings on them

IMG_5237 (resized).JPGIMG_5237 (resized).JPG

IMG_5238 (resized).JPGIMG_5238 (resized).JPG

IMG_5239 (resized).JPGIMG_5239 (resized).JPG

IMG_5240 (resized).JPGIMG_5240 (resized).JPG

IMG_5241 (resized).JPGIMG_5241 (resized).JPG

IMG_5242 (resized).JPGIMG_5242 (resized).JPG

IMG_5243 (resized).JPGIMG_5243 (resized).JPG

#836 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

Here you go . Everything was working but the scoreboard . The section looks burnt . I also was curious what kind of diodes are used on this board . I can't see any markings on them

There are links to jpgs of the schematics and parts list for the 83 on pinrepair, you can take a look at those to see if any of the info you need is in them. About half way down the page, search for "Chexx CPU Board Architecture".

http://pinrepair.com/arcade/chexx.htm

#837 6 years ago

He did not go in the details on how many versions, but he did say entry-level was going to go up $500 because of new boards new sound a new scoreboard

#838 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

I need the original board gone through and fixed . Does anyone do this or have a old board that works .

Did you contact ICE directly? I know they use to do board repairs on all Chexx games!

#839 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Did you contact ICE directly? I know they use to do board repairs on all Chexx games!

ICE hasn't done full repairs on the original boards in a long time. Some of the chips on there have been NLA.

For anyone looking for a used Super Chexx I have one that was routed but in pretty decent shape I would sell for $1900.

#840 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tvpinballs:

He did not go in the details on how many versions, but he did say entry-level was going to go up $500 because of new boards new sound a new scoreboard

Well I had heard 200.00 but with the 200.00 discount they just had that's a 400.00 swing. Going up 500.00 is a lot.

#841 6 years ago

I hope I heard him wrong when I talked to him but I don't think I did. I am trying to get one before Thanksgiving and I just missed out on the last older model and coughing up an extra $500 for a new one is not what I wanted to do. They said they were still hashing it out with NHL on call outs and that is why the Web site is still down because they can't sell any if they are not in agreement.

#842 6 years ago

I gotcha . I wanted to get one for Christmas but by the time you order a split base with NHL teams and coin mechs with a 500 increase you close to 4K

#843 6 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

ICE hasn't done full repairs on the original boards in a long time. Some of the chips on there have been NLA.

Not true ... I had mine done recently

#844 6 years ago

That's good to know

#845 6 years ago
    Quoted from jasonp:

Not true ... I had mine done recently

The original, long MOOG CPU board like the one pictured a couple posts up? Or a newer square board?

The MOOG board uses multiple chips that are NLA. When those chips go bad there is no repairing them unless you find some NOS (good luck). Now if you have a bad trace, transistor, common chip, etc. it can be fixed, but more often than not the chips are bad (especially sound) and thus the board can not be fully repaired.

The square boards (Super Chexx, red base and newer) can be repaired no problem usually.

Source: I've repaired dozens of Chexx games over the years and would frequently be in touch with the lead tech at ICE.

#846 6 years ago

Yea luckily , everything was working except the scoreboard . I have a few toasty parts in that section . Sound , puck eject worked fine

#847 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

Yea luckily , everything was working except the scoreboard . I have a few toasty parts in that section . Sound , puck eject worked fine

AHHH I forgot to post. I had this issue and can maybe help you. Let me get stuff in order/time and I'll post up.

#848 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

So somewhere back in this thread. I had a issue with my scoreboard ribbon cable (data that is gray). THe main issue is that when it goes from the scoreboard under the ice, the hole in the top to the base, is not aligned for it to just drop in. It is off center, so the cable has to bend/fold to make it in the hole. HOWEVER, it usually just became cut and then grounded out on the edge of the hole, or the player rod wore through the ribbon. This grounding and break would then burn the connector on the PCB/motherboard. Once that happened well...you could wreck the board or like mine, they made some hacks to make it "work" however the ribbon was still not fixed under the ice.

So in your pics above the gray ribbon cable is not plugged in on the MOOG board. You can get new ones from maybe ICE? but I got mine from Boston Pinball. I also order from digikey or Great plains, a new molex connector for the MOOG board. When swapping the connectors, you will want to clean off any carbon or it will act as a wire and bridge more connections or start a fire....don't ask. I also see one of the power connectors on the moog looks a tad brown. I'd check that out as well. You may want to remove the board, clean with rubbing alcohol to get any burn/carbon off just in case.

THere is a manual I ordered from ICE for my game but the one from the pin repair site works too. You can see the pinout of the data ribbon as it carries power/ground and data for the shift registers (scores). I can also find my pics..... from before...If you need any more pics I can take them tonight before I button my game up and put the ice on. I almost thought about drilling a new hole for the ribbon, but currently I have the new ribbon make a fold over and tape that down so the rod doesnt touch the cable.

I also have added more wire management under the ice for all the sensors so they do not get rubbed by the player rods.

First pic of my data cable plug
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/8#post-2881831

boston pinball led score board!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/8#post-2971202

Hole and ribbon under ice
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/9#post-3045387

data ribbon connector
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/9#post-3046010

Where the connector lit on fire
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/9#post-3080452

Ended up taking this to MGC and Rob Anthony some how got it working. There is a large hole in the PCB from the fire but the game works. I suppose I may want a replacement used MOOG as backup but I hope to have time with a baby and winter coming to get a arduino to run the entire chexx. We shall see.

Hope this helps keep another 83' chexx alive!

#849 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tvpinballs:

I hope I heard him wrong when I talked to him but I don't think I did. I am trying to get one before Thanksgiving and I just missed out on the last older model and coughing up an extra $500 for a new one is not what I wanted to do. They said they were still hashing it out with NHL on call outs and that is why the Web site is still down because they can't sell any if they are not in agreement.

So I spoke with ICE today. The new Chexx price will be about a 200.00 price increase and the official new pricing will be listed once the website is updated.

#850 6 years ago

The Moog scoreboard is pretty easy to repair. Just a bunch of 16pin ICs that can be shotgunned. I had dead and stuck digits and replacing the burnt ones fixed it right up.

There are 3,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.