Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,768 posts
  • 385 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by pinballplusMN
  • Topic is favorited by 137 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

66E5ECB0-DDFB-481A-8798-E11A08F321F4 (resized).jpeg
    C17FCDAE-7AD4-4889-99E9-0A2E0AE5BB6C (resized).jpeg
    78843695-1C76-44E4-BEEC-44881E218FF6 (resized).jpeg
    394D2F60-CF84-497C-A8B7-587079268883 (resized).jpeg
    ECD86595-2B95-4F4E-98A9-489786F03B16 (resized).jpeg
    1034E777-4E2F-4CB1-83D9-8D8F3048D86B (resized).jpeg
    20211119_203956 (resized).jpg
    20211118_120515 (resized).jpg
    20211116_204855 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 5.31.13 PM (resized).png
    20211116_204902 (resized).jpg
    20211116_204924 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211113_182053835 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211113_182022581 (resized).jpg
    6ED519E5-A615-4AFD-8D64-9C416F19F958 (resized).jpeg
    06E0E692-C5C3-4EA5-850E-B28E0BBC5B9E (resized).jpeg

There are 2,768 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 56.
    #751 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone have any dome buffing tips to get it clear again?
    Reminds me I need to order ice, no luck on a nicer then mine used local.

Head light restoration kits and or take it to a head light restorer. I had a detail shop do mine and it turned out great. Still some deep scratches, but all the shallow ones buffed out. Look back a few pages for pics.

#752 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone have any dome buffing tips to get it clear again?
    Reminds me I need to order ice, no luck on a nicer then mine used local.

I used a buffing kit like the headlight restoring one from amazon and 3 steps of Novus. I also had to wet sand a few areas where someone decided to draw stars with their keys. I used 2000 grit sand paper and then buffed with Novus 3, 2, 1. The deep scratches aren't completely gone but they don't stand out in your line of sight any more. It does take a long time, make sure you have a corded drill.

amazon.com link »
    amazon.com link »

ChexxDomeBefore (resized).jpgChexxDomeAfter (resized).jpg

#753 4 years ago

Perfect. Thanks guys. I did the 3m headlight kit, but still see swirls. I'm not s buffing expert and I bet my drill wasn't fast enough. I have a car detail friend that said he'd help. Just wanted to make sure!

#754 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Perfect. Thanks guys. I did the 3m headlight kit, but still see swirls. I'm not s buffing expert and I bet my drill wasn't fast enough. I have a car detail friend that said he'd help. Just wanted to make sure!

I would discuss it with your friend. The novus site doesn't recommend any buffing speed over 1000 rpm.

https://www.novuspolish.com/tips.html

#755 4 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

I would discuss it with your friend. The novus site doesn't recommend any buffing speed over 1000 rpm.
    https://www.novuspolish.com/tips.html

OH really? ughhhhhh man the detail guys I spoke to said you want it fast so it creates "heat" to help "melt" the scratches away... at this point I should go by hand hahaha...mmm be one strong arm.

4 weeks later
    #756 4 years ago

Now a member of the club. I bought one off fb and had fastenal ship it. Good news is it was cheap, bad news is it does not work. Worse news? It is running a Soccer CPU?

Right now when I plug it in I get the digits on the scoreboard quickly set to zero. Then they randomly will change numbers after sitting at 0 for awhile. Then if you hit the start button the puck will eject, but that is it. I will try and get pics up later if anyone likes.

#757 4 years ago

I'm dying to know how you guys find these great FB deals. I'm a FB noob I guess

#758 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm dying to know how you guys find these great FB deals. I'm a FB noob I guess

I am not on FB but I know there are local garage sale groups.

Quoted from dung:

Now a member of the club. I bought one off fb and had fastenal ship it. Good news is it was cheap, bad news is it does not work. Worse news? It is running a Soccer CPU?
    Right now when I plug it in I get the digits on the scoreboard quickly set to zero. Then they randomly will change numbers after sitting at 0 for awhile. Then if you hit the start button the puck will eject, but that is it. I will try and get pics up later if anyone likes.

Do you have an original chexx '83? Im betting your data harness and wires are badly grounded, cut and grounding out. If you go under the ice, the hole the original used for the data down to the cabinet was offset so it rubbed and cut open mine grounding it out. Caused some light melting on the CPU board too at the plug....

#759 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I am not on FB but I know there are local garage sale groups.

Do you have an original chexx '83? Im betting your data harness and wires are badly grounded, cut and grounding out. If you go under the ice, the hole the original used for the data down to the cabinet was offset so it rubbed and cut open mine grounding it out. Caused some light melting on the CPU board too at the plug....

Nope. Mine has a door on the back like the 83. It has a two board stack though. Boards are labeled soccer. Right now i have sound, but the volume knob is bad. Game is playing blind, need to look at the score displays.

#760 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Nope. Mine has a door on the back like the 83. It has a two board stack though. Boards are labeled soccer. Right now i have sound, but the volume knob is bad. Game is playing blind, need to look at the score displays.

Do the boards look like the ones on pinrepair under the kixx section?

http://pinrepair.com/arcade/chexx.htm

#761 4 years ago

Here is the odd two board

IMG_3534 (resized).JPG

#762 4 years ago

Apologies for the delayed response, but yes that is how mine looks. I need to fix the brackets as they are a bit bent. Have not had time to dicker with it since this weekend though.

#763 4 years ago

roar How your your chexx rpi project coming along? I'd love to sync up with you about this. I just picked up an 83'ish version, but the moog board is a mess.

I hope you are far along and willing to share the code/setup? Thanks!

J

Quoted from roar:

I've made a little progress with my Raspberry Pi and driving pretty much everything on my chexx with it.
    I've got 4 LED's lighting up one at a time for each period, with the game ending after 3 periods if the score is not tied then the 4th light will light up if the score is still tied when time runs out after the 3rd. I've got a couple of reed switches working to trigger and increment goals for the two teams and I've got some 7 segment displays showing the score. The 7 segment displays fit perfectly in the scoreboard and the breadboard I've got has the right spacing so I can place all 4 segments on one board and have it fit. I couldn't sort out shift registers so I wired up each segment to the Pi using a port expander. A smarter person than me could surely save a bunch of work by getting the shift registers working but you've got to work with what your mother gave you... right?
    Anyway, long way to go, need to get an end-game state, the digits just clear right now when the game ends, I'll probably flash the winning score while leaving the other score in place until you push the start button again. Next hurdle is to get the puck launching. Need to pull the ice surface off my chexx to get at the solenoid. Pi's aren't great at powering things > 5V but with a Mosfet and a 10K resistor I should be able to drive that from a separate power source. I'll see if I can sort that out later in the week.
    If there is any interest I can post progress.
    » Vimeo video
    Edit: The audio has nothing to do with the development, just listening to the hawks play while I work and the periods are set to 15 seconds so I don't have to wait forever to see if things are working. I gotta figure interrupts out in python... this work would go a lot faster if I knew how to program

#764 4 years ago

Would love to join the club if anyone is selling or knows of one. I'm in Boise idaho, but willing to ship or drive.

#765 4 years ago
    Quoted from jking3:

roar How your your chexx rpi project coming along? I'd love to sync up with you about this. I just picked up an 83'ish version, but the moog board is a mess.
    I hope you are far along and willing to share the code/setup? Thanks!
    J

I wish I had better news... things have stalled out a couple of projects have come up that have kept me busy. I waited for months for a couple of power supplies to come in from China... I am not having much luck getting the solenoid to fire with much oomph. I'll need to do some more reading to figure out what I may be doing wrong as I've got the right voltage and what I believe to be plenty of amp's, I also have a diode in place but it just dribbles over the edge, which obviously doesn't do anyone any good. Code wise... I'm not against sharing my code but it is so bad I'm almost embarrassed to share it. I do plan to get back to it, just need to figure out which project first, restore the Silverball Mania, restore the Slugfest, or finish up the Visual Pinball machine... oh... and the Chexx... which does it fit

If you happen to be a skilled programmer then I could certainly see me moving the Chexx to the top of the list!

2 weeks later
    #766 4 years ago

I needed a new bulb for my score board and decided that a led panel would be fun to try and build. One thing led to another and I ended up building a led panel for the scoreboard and added goal lights. When the goal lights come on the overhead panel changes to red. I ended up installing my own reed switches for now since I couldn't get a circuit to reliably work with the stock switches. It's all running off of the on board power supply. I had a small mp3 playback board working to add goal horns but that broke after a day and the replacement is still on it's way. I'm still playing around with it but it's working for now.

Here's a video of it in action.

Overhead light
    Super Chexx led panel (resized).jpg

Wiring harness pigtails
    Super Chexx wiring harness (resized).jpg

Goal Lights: I still haven't decided what style to go with
    Super Chexx goal light 1 (resized).jpg
    Super Chexx goal light 2 (resized).jpg
    Super Chexx light behind goal (resized).jpg

#767 4 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

I needed a new bulb for my score board and decided that a led panel would be fun to try and build. One thing led to another and I ended up building a led panel for the scoreboard and added goal lights. When the goal lights come on the overhead panel changes to red. I ended up installing my own reed switches for now since I couldn't get a circuit to reliably work with the stock switches. It's all running off of the on board power supply. I had a small mp3 playback board working to add goal horns but that broke after a day and the replacement is still on it's way. I'm still playing around with it but it's working for now.
    Here's a video of it in action.
    » YouTube video
    Overhead light

Wiring harness pigtails

Goal Lights: I still haven't decided what style to go with

Just got a Super Chexx. I'm gonna need this mod please

#768 4 years ago

I'm just going to say it.....

Super Chexx aka Dome Hockey kicks fooseballs ASS!

#769 4 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Just got a Super Chexx. I'm gonna need this mod please

Yeah, me too, please! Very nifty! Scoring will be even more dramatic!

Although, could it be done without modifying the original lighting?

#770 4 years ago

@lantenite04

I'm going to need to do something like that for my Super Chexx. I like the smaller goal light, but honestly I think changing the top lighting to red has a greater impact. Could you provide more details on how this is accomplished. I'd like to try to do that on my machine. Alternatively, or additionally would it be possible to add one of those mini beacons to the top of the machine? I think that would make a nice light show.

#771 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

@lantenite04
    I'm going to need to do something like that for my Super Chexx. I like the smaller goal light, but honestly I think changing the top lighting to red has a greater impact. Could you provide more details on how this is accomplished. I'd like to try to do that on my machine. Alternatively, or additionally would it be possible to add one of those mini beacons to the top of the machine? I think that would make a nice light show.

Geez, you're right about the top lighting. Initially, I didn't really recognize the lighting colour changing and thought the main lighting simply dimmed to emphasize the red score light. Oops, wrong. Cool mod!

#772 4 years ago

Yeah, I think that's where the impact comes from. The goal lights are cool, but they don't really add all that much IMHO. I don't think there is much confusion about who scored. I'd be perfectly happy to just have a beacon on the top that goes off whenever a goal is scored for either side. Perhaps find a "cup-like" holder that can be mounted then just set the beacon light inside of that. I'd be willing to test it out, but I really don't know how to wire it up.

#773 4 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

Yeah, me too, please! Very nifty! Scoring will be even more dramatic!
    Although, could it be done without modifying the original lighting?

You can do goal lights without the score board led panel and you can do the score board led panel, minus turning red, without the goal lights. The nice part was that I didn't have to cut up any stock wiring to do it so it's reversible.

Quoted from lpeters82:

@lantenite04

I built the small pigtail connector in the previous pic to go between the board and the scoreboard ribbon cable. The first two pins are power for the cfl bulb so I didn't pass those through and piped in 12v from the other connector. The pins for connecting the cfl happen to be the same diameter as the molex pins from the other 15 pin pigtail I made so I just had to used them to plug in to get power. I wired that power to a remote led controller so I could set the color of the panel when it's normally on. I put a 12v relay in the scoreboard that connects the ground on the led panel to the color changing remote, when a goal is scored another relay cuts off the ground to the relay in the scoreboard which causes the led panel ground to switch over to a second ground hardwired to just the red channel. The other lights are just wired through the relay in the lower cabinet so that their ground gets connected when the reed switch is tripped. The relays I'm using will easily run a beacon, they are rated to 10A 250vac. I have a beacon on my mushroom world I've been wanting to try but I didn't want to take apart a working pinball machine until I had something to test it on. You are correct that the small light on it's own doesn't do much, the overhead light definitely gives more of a wow factor. Now that I have a way to trigger the lights it will be time to play and find what looks good. I think it's easier than I just made it sound. I'll try to diagram it and get a parts list together in the next couple of days.

If you just want a single beacon light without any of the overhead lighting you can install a reed switch on each goal and run them to a relay board like I used. Get 12v from the on board power supply and have both switches wired to trigger the relay when a goal is scored.

This is the triggered relay board I'm using to run the lights. It's basically just connecting the ground to different lights based on what I want on.
    ebay.com link: 12V 2CH Multi function Digital Delay Time Cycle Timer Timing Switch Relay Module
    20170916_200355 (resized).jpg

#774 4 years ago

That red lighting is really cool. Some really clever people out there.

#775 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Yeah, I think that's where the impact comes from. The goal lights are cool, but they don't really add all that much IMHO. I don't think there is much confusion about who scored. I'd be perfectly happy to just have a beacon on the top that goes off whenever a goal is scored for either side. Perhaps find a "cup-like" holder that can be mounted then just set the beacon light inside of that. I'd be willing to test it out, but I really don't know how to wire it up.

A beacon will work. I borrowed the one from my pinball machine and clipped it in with alligator clips to test it.

#776 4 years ago

Cool, I just sent you a PM. I'm going to try to find a smaller beacon plus LED strips under the cabinet. I think that will provide a nice light show. I've added lighting to games before, but this will push my skills to the next level. I'll learn as I go. If anyone finds a decent smaller beacon post it here, I'm thinking others will be interested in creating these.

#777 4 years ago

I'm looking to get in the super chexx game. Loved playing this as a teen and I think my kids will too. What is a good price to be looking for on the these?

#778 4 years ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

I'm looking to get in the super chexx game. Loved playing this as a teen and I think my kids will too. What is a good price to be looking for on the these?

Like anything, patience is key. I've found 2 HUO ones for $1500 each.

#779 4 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Like anything, patience is key. I've found 2 HUO ones for $1500 each.

Thank you. Gives me a ballpark figure for one at least. I really enjoyed playing this one back in the day.

#780 4 years ago

Really nice mods! Reminds
    me of the Ice Fever mod I did awhile back:

I think I would just do undercab red lighting, or maybe upward into the goal?

#781 4 years ago

I don't know the beacon is just so synonymous with scoring in hockey.

1 week later
    #782 4 years ago

So I went to fix one of the gearbox collars (rod came off the gearbox) and put new Ice on the game.....

One played pulled off....well the player came up but the metal rod and square section stayed in the gearbox....ugh...

Then went to unscrew the set screws on the collar...allen head on one was blown out. Sawed the screw so I could remove the collar, the threaded part stuck inside the collar. $20 a collar...nice.... Uffda! Luckily I bought a bunch of the new square set screws...No more stripped allen heads!

If anyone has 1 USA 83' player to sell. I'd like to keep my set complete...

Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Head light restoration kits and or take it to a head light restorer. I had a detail shop do mine and it turned out great. Still some deep scratches, but all the shallow ones buffed out. Look back a few pages for pics.

I used the 3m headlight kit with a drill, left some swirl scratches... didn't like it. I had my car detail friend finish up the dome and it turned out nicer. You'll need like 1000, 2000, 3000 grit, wet sand the crap and take lots of time. It never comes out perfectly clear but man it is better

#783 4 years ago

Well....this has me very interested ... anyone know anything about these? This was on the icechexx website. Might be good deal on the "older" models.

IMG_8976 (resized).PNG

#784 4 years ago

Uhhh no, never heard of the next one. K bet it’s lcd

#785 4 years ago

Last time they announced "next generation coming soon" was 2010 and it ended up being the home edition that had no coin door with external volume control and on/off switch.

My guess is new scoreboard, led lighting, and new soundtrack. Not sure how any of the rest could be improved upon. Retooling costs for any of the other components would seem expensive and unfeasible without big price increase.

#786 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Last time they announced "next generation coming soon" was 2010 and it ended up being the home edition that had no coin door with external volume control and on/off switch.
    My guess is new scoreboard, led lighting, and new soundtrack. Not sure how any of the rest could be improved upon. Retooling costs for any of the other components would seem expensive and unfeasible without big price increase.

On their parts website they have a main board for led lights with no cfl transformer and a $400 scoreboard with led panel. Are those in the current models, I don't see it mentioned in any of their literature? Those parts have been on the parts site for over a month so I'd be surprised if that was the upgrade.

#787 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

The new units ( Next Generation) all have new controller boards and internals. They simply ran out of enough sources for the older boards. That go back over 10 years perhaps more the service tech did not know for sure. Lots of exciting new features / rumours being thrown around...once these ones are all gone they will release the announcement and pricing on the new ones. For that reason we are waiting for the next generation to come out..I was told on Wednesday hopefully in two weeks once all of these units are sold. Hopefully sooner so that we can get ours before Christmas!

Exciting stuff new, new Super Chexx on its way!

Cheers,

Requis

#788 4 years ago
    Quoted from Requis:

The new units ( Next Generation) all have new controller boards and internals. They simply ran out of enough sources for the older boards. That go back over 10 years perhaps more the service tech did not know for sure. Lots of exciting new features / rumours being thrown around...once these ones are all gone they will release the announcement and pricing on the new ones. For that reason we are waiting for the next generation to come out..I was told on Wednesday hopefully in two weeks once all of these units are sold. Hopefully sooner so that we can get ours before Christmas!
    Cheers,
    Requis

I saw this video linked on the National Bubble Hockey Association facebook page. He said the video was from the Dave and Busters in Buffalo which is right near the ICE factory and I believe they test games there.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.mastrocovo/videos/10209876907630494/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/311587888906261/

#789 4 years ago

I see an lcd but is that a goal replay clip?!?

#790 4 years ago

I made a couple videos below to help out new owners. One about removing the ice, one about replacing a gearbox. Note about the ice one, if you have a goalie that has pin through it instead of having a stake on the end, you'll have to remove the pin holding the goalie before removing the ice.

More info at my website here:

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/10/removing-ice-chexx-bubble-hockey/

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/10/replacing-gearbox-chexx-bubble-hockey/

#791 4 years ago
    Quoted from Requis:

Cheers,
    Requis

I'm hoping that they provide an upgrade package for older owners. I would probably pay for that upgrade if it's reasonably priced. I would bet that going this route is probably actually saving them manufacturing money over the long term while being a lot cooler.

#792 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I'm hoping that they provide an upgrade package for older owners. I would probably pay for that upgrade if it's reasonably priced. I would bet that going this route is probably actually saving them manufacturing money over the long term while being a lot cooler.

I really hope this as well. I just purchased a game for my house in August....

#793 4 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

I saw this video linked on the National Bubble Hockey Association facebook page. He said the video was from the Dave and Busters in Buffalo which is right near the ICE factory and I believe they test games there.
    https://www.facebook.com/nick.mastrocovo/videos/10209876907630494/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/311587888906261/

WOAH!!! THIS IS DOPE!!!

#794 4 years ago

Hi all,

I'm currently repairing an old Super chexx but some parts are missing. Could someone tell me how many metal collars on each rod please (long or short)?
    Is Icegame the best place to order missing parts (from France)?

#795 4 years ago
    Quoted from nmns26:

Hi all,
    I'm currently repairing an old Super chexx but some parts are missing. Could someone tell me how many metal collars on each rod please (long or short)?

Send an email to [email protected]. They are pretty responsive and can answer your questions.

#796 4 years ago
    Quoted from nmns26:

Hi all,

Here is an image with the collar sizes marked. Overall there are 14 short and 4 long collars. I think ICE would be the best place to get the replacements, they should have anything you need.

chexx3 (resized).jpg

#797 4 years ago

Fantastic! Exactly what I need. Thx so much for your fast answer latenite.
    I had some collars placed at the wrong place and no pattern.
    Now, it's perfect!

#798 4 years ago
    Quoted from kledoux8620:

I really hope this as well. I just purchased a game for my house in August....

Agreed upgrade kit would be awesome!!!

#799 4 years ago

I've got a bunch of the original chexx players for sale if anyone is interested. USA vs Russia, all players are there, just a little beat up (only one physically broken though, he lost a leg).

#800 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I've got a bunch of the original chexx players for sale if anyone is interested. USA vs Russia, all players are there, just a little beat up (only one physically broken though, he lost a leg).

You looking to sell onesies or all? I just pulled all my players and one of the guys shafts broke in the gear box :/

There are 2,768 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 56.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside