Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,768 posts
  • 385 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by pinballplusMN
  • Topic is favorited by 137 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

66E5ECB0-DDFB-481A-8798-E11A08F321F4 (resized).jpeg
    C17FCDAE-7AD4-4889-99E9-0A2E0AE5BB6C (resized).jpeg
    78843695-1C76-44E4-BEEC-44881E218FF6 (resized).jpeg
    394D2F60-CF84-497C-A8B7-587079268883 (resized).jpeg
    ECD86595-2B95-4F4E-98A9-489786F03B16 (resized).jpeg
    1034E777-4E2F-4CB1-83D9-8D8F3048D86B (resized).jpeg
    20211119_203956 (resized).jpg
    20211118_120515 (resized).jpg
    20211116_204855 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 5.31.13 PM (resized).png
    20211116_204902 (resized).jpg
    20211116_204924 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211113_182053835 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211113_182022581 (resized).jpg
    6ED519E5-A615-4AFD-8D64-9C416F19F958 (resized).jpeg
    06E0E692-C5C3-4EA5-850E-B28E0BBC5B9E (resized).jpeg

There are 2,768 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 56.
    #651 4 years ago

How much did they charge to do the dome? Mine looks similar to your before pictures.

#652 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

How much did they charge to do the dome? Mine looks similar to your before pictures.

Like I said, I know a guy.

Thanks for the tip on the grease. I plan to replace all the gear boxes if all goes well coming up. The game is over 30 years old, all the hardware could use a refresh.

#653 4 years ago

Hello hoping someone can help me out i researched this thread from the beginning and i saw it addressed somewhat 3 years ago but I haven't found a confirmation on my question... I am purchasing a new super chexx machine and don't want a split base unless I have to. I have a 32" door leading down my basement (31.5" opening after the doorjams)... can I make it fit? I called Chexx and the lady said I should buy the split base to be safe but looking at it I want to believe I can make it work... After the door I have 38" in width walking down my steps. Any insight would help I think lpeters82 had a similar door frame??

#654 4 years ago
    Quoted from Backbone25:

Hello hoping someone can help me out i researched this thread from the beginning and i saw it addressed somewhat 3 years ago but I haven't found a confirmation on my question... I am purchasing a new super chexx machine and don't want a split base unless I have to. I have a 32" door leading down my basement (31.5" opening after the doorjams)... can I make it fit? I called Chexx and the lady said I should buy the split base to be safe but looking at it I want to believe I can make it work... After the door I have 38" in width walking down my steps. Any insight would help I think lpeters82 had a similar door frame??

I have a 32" door and yes the single base can fit (when separated from the dome). It has to go sideways (2 people) and you have to twist/turn but it will fit, given you have some space on the inside/outside of the doorway.

#655 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I have a 32" door and yes the single base can fit (when separated from the dome). It has to go sideways (2 people) and you have to twist/turn but it will fit, given you have some space on the inside/outside of the doorway.

I have a standard door and yesterday all I did was remove the 4 bolts from inside the pedestal. Was very easy.

#656 4 years ago

Any one know where I can pick this black seal up? Missing a side of it. Would like to replace it all.

IMG_3270 (resized).JPG

#657 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Any one know where I can pick this black seal up? Missing a side of it. Would like to replace it all.

Is this it?

https://www.icegame.com/p-24371-cabinet-gasket-black-10-lengt.aspx

#658 4 years ago

Hard to tell. Doesnt look exact. Maybe its different for my sega face off...hmmm

#659 4 years ago

Sorry, another question.

So my goalies have a post like the players do. From the looks of the pics of the super chexx guys I bought, the goalie has no post. How does a super chexx goalie attach?

IMG_3288 (resized).PNG

#660 4 years ago

IMG_3257 (resized).JPG

#661 4 years ago

You need one of these.

http://www.icegame.com/p-24281-asy-goalie-block.aspx

i just bought two new teams for my old 83 Blue Chexx and had to order a pair of these along with them.

#662 4 years ago

Thanks! I hope the linkage lines up.

#663 4 years ago

These guys arent as nice as I hoped. They hand panted them, but they used stickers for the logos. Some are already falling off. If I had the time, I would have done it myself.

The shafts also look really long by comparison. I hope that doesnt cause any issues.

Ill know tonight!

IMG_3302 (resized).JPG

#664 4 years ago

Another question, sorry guys. This is the ME ME ME thread lately.

So I got the washers as well. How the hell do these things go on? If they go between the gear box and the ice surface, how do I get the post of the player through? It doesnt fit! I suppose I could drill the hole bigger, but that seems like an oversight.....what am I missing?

#665 4 years ago

Another question, sorry guys. This is the ME ME ME thread lately.
    So I got the washers as well. How the hell do these things go on? If they go between the gear box and the ice surface, how do I get the post of the player through? It doesnt fit! I suppose I could drill the hole bigger, but that seems like an oversight.....what am I missing?

Where did the players come from?

The clear washer goes above the gear box, under the ice. Then you push the player through. Yes it is tight, new washers make it feel almost impossible but it works.

#666 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Where did the players come from?
    The clear washer goes above the gear box, under the ice. Then you push the player through. Yes it is tight, new washers make it feel almost impossible but it works.

From ICE direct.

It seems REALLY tight...glad i bought a few extras.

#667 4 years ago

From ICE direct.
    It seems REALLY tight...glad i bought a few extras.

oh ya. Well you are pushing a square object through a circular hole. After a few in/out's it gets easier. Remember these are on route so they don't want the player popping out. Freaked me out when I got new washers too!

#668 4 years ago

Agree, it's tough pushing the players through new washers. Tip if concerned about doing it on the ice. Take a small piece of wood (like a 6 inch piece of 2x4), drill a hole just big enough for the player post about an inch deep (this keeps the washer from sliding all the way up), put the washer on the hole and then push the player through. Repeat this a few times until the washer has more of a square shape and then put on the gear box and push the player through. After replacing all my washers once directly on the ice, I've been doing this lately. Much easier.

#669 4 years ago

Nice! Thanks!

#670 4 years ago

These guys arent as nice as I hoped. They hand panted them, but they used stickers for the logos. Some are already falling off. If I had the time, I would have done it myself.
    The shafts also look really long by comparison. I hope that doesnt cause any issues.
    Ill know tonight!

I wonder if someone who has some painting experience here can chime in, but would it make any sense to put a layer of clearcoat over these guys so the decals stay on? I have two new teams coming from ICE next week and am worried about the same thing.

#671 4 years ago

You can clear coat. I would also take some clear finger nail polish around the edges of the logos.

#672 4 years ago
    Quoted from jaydee49:

I wonder if someone who has some painting experience here can chime in, but would it make any sense to put a layer of clearcoat over these guys so the decals stay on? I have two new teams coming from ICE next week and am worried about the same thing.

I think they are already cleared. Can you go clear over clear? I have no experience with clear.

#673 4 years ago

Dropped the price of mine to $1600
    Brand new dome. Brand new players USA vs Russia. Brand new Playing surface. Brand new gear boxes on several players. Have the orginal men as well.

Archived after 21 days
    Sold off Pinside
    Other - For Sale
    “I have a Chexx Hockey game that is for sale. The Dome, playfield & all the men are all brand new. Game is fully working. $1500”
    2017-03-19
    Appleton, WI

#674 4 years ago

When I painted mine I put on many layers of clear. I have no idea how many exactly, but it was a process. I had a board with holes drilled into it where all of the figures sat for 1-2 weeks.

#675 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

When I painted mine I put on many layers of clear. I have no idea how many exactly, but it was a process. I had a board with holes drilled into it where all of the figures sat for 1-2 weeks.

What type of clear to you use? Something in a rattle can or an automotive clear coat? How are they holding up? I'm weary of chipping... though I suppose the chipping of clear is better than chipping of paint.

#676 4 years ago

I just use the stuff from a can. I sold that machine, so I can't comment on how well it's actually holding up. My plan was to respray ever so often.

#677 4 years ago

I think they are already cleared.

When I bought my brand new USA and USSR teams from ICE a couple years ago, they came cleared but the clear started chipping\peeling off the players after just a few games. I was not impressed. It was especially bad on the players' sticks. I think the bodies are still in pretty good shape.

#678 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballYeti:

When I bought my brand new USA and USSR teams from ICE a couple years ago, they came cleared but the clear started chipping\peeling off the players after just a few games. I was not impressed. It was especially bad on the players' sticks. I think the bodies are still in pretty good shape.

GREEEAAATTT. I kinda get the vibe from them that they dont give a shit about any one but distributors. They were really rude to me when I inquired about how long it would take my order to ship.

#679 4 years ago

Has anyone tried adding athletic tape to the sticks? Most players tape their sticks anyway, so it's not like it would look out of place.

#680 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Has anyone tried adding athletic tape to the sticks? Most players tape their sticks anyway, so it's not like it would look out of place.

I think that would drag the motion of the guys down a lot. My guys touch the ice a little. Maybe just paint the black on and add light grey lines to simulate it?

#681 4 years ago

I think that would drag the motion of the guys down a lot. My guys touch the ice a little. Maybe just paint the black on and add light grey lines to simulate it?

Maybe could get away with 1 layer of electrical tape? but drag, wear etc and it isn't super sticky...

#682 4 years ago

OK, so my goalie mechs and goalies went on great. Im not even sure I need the cotter pins they included or the screw I would have to buy. they dont turn and were very hard to push on. Do I need a washer for the goalie? If so....pssshhh too late. No way Im risking pulling those bastards off.

I have a question about volume/sound. When I turn my game on, its at a set volume it seems. The volume pot did nothing. I had a spare volume pot laying around and when I compared them, they were almost exactly the same. Score! When I soldered the new one in though, nothing changed. Any ideas?

I plan to do the whole wood/drill/press for the washers tonight, and hopefully wrap this project up so I can get to other things before my party. Thanks to all who have helped so far.

#683 4 years ago

OK, so my goalie mechs and goalies went on great. Im not even sure I need the cotter pins they included or the screw I would have to buy. they dont turn and were very hard to push on. Do I need a washer for the goalie? If so....pssshhh too late. No way Im risking pulling those bastards off.
    I have a question about volume/sound. When I turn my game on, its at a set volume it seems. The volume pot did nothing. I had a spare volume pot laying around and when I compared them, they were almost exactly the same. Score! When I soldered the new one in though, nothing changed. Any ideas?
    I plan to do the whole wood/drill/press for the washers tonight, and hopefully wrap this project up so I can get to other things before my party. Thanks to all who have helped so far.

I don't think my goalies had the washer..... yeah no pin/cotter on mine either, they stay, however mine is in a home use so not a big deal if it came off.

Which chexx version do you have?
    chexx original
    super chexx early
    super chexx recent
    They each have different boards. Mmm wonder if someone over rode the volume or a component on the board failed.

#684 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I don't think my goalies had the washer..... yeah no pin/cotter on mine either, they stay, however mine is in a home use so not a big deal if it came off.
    Which chexx version do you have?
    chexx original
    super chexx early
    super chexx recent
    They each have different boards. Mmm wonder if someone over rode the volume or a component on the board failed.

My hockey game is a 1983 Sega Face Off. Same hard ware for the most part, different boards.

#685 4 years ago

My hockey game is a 1983 Sega Face Off. Same hard ware for the most part, different boards.

do you have that MOOG board?

#686 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

do you have that MOOG board?

Im not sure. I know nothing on my score board says "electronics by MOOG" like the chexx games. My game also doesnt count shots on goal.

#687 4 years ago

Does your board look like a so?

IMG_1552 (resized).jpg

#688 4 years ago

No, not at all. Mine is much more of a square. Let me look if I have pics....please hold.

#689 4 years ago

Got it!

IMG_3008 (resized).JPG

#690 4 years ago

That almost looks like a JAMMA harness on there.

#691 4 years ago

I actually just got the manual in the mail. I will have to take a look at the board schematic and see if I can make any sense of it. Im not the best at board work.

#692 4 years ago

Interesting! Yeah when you get your manual, that should help. May want to scan some and we can all help. Should only be like 3 wires to the pot but there will be some components on the board side.

#693 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Should only be like 3 wires to the pot but there will be some components on the board side.

There are two wires to the pot....should there by 3?? Let me see if I can use the scanner here at work before I leave.

#694 4 years ago

Im quick today. Im not sure I am supposed to share these, the guy stamped his company name all over them. Oh well.

2957_001_Page_2 (resized).jpg

2957_001_Page_1 (resized).jpg

#695 4 years ago

There are two wires to the pot....should there by 3?? Let me see if I can use the scanner here at work before I leave.

Sorry it could be two, I was working on a potentiometer on my arduino recently and it was 3.

My chexx is at a friends house but I have my manual. I can go take a peek.

Looks like it might be the lower right of the schematic sp in/out?

#696 4 years ago

Going to take a guess and say it IS a part on the board thats gone bad. This is what it sounds like when a game ends and no one is playing. ONLY after a game has been played though, not when it turns on.

#697 4 years ago

I don't know anyone that fixed chexx boards, but anyone that can do board work including yourself could see the part and schematic and replace caps, transistor, resistors etc. the schematic I think showed the parts in that section

#698 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I don't know anyone that fixed chexx boards, but anyone that can do board work including yourself could see the part and schematic and replace caps, transistor, resistors etc. the schematic I think showed the parts in that section

Ice (the manufacturer) fixes Chexx boards.

#699 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I wish i had the time to send the board out, but I think I will just disconnect the speakers for the party. Oh well.

#700 4 years ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Ice (the manufacturer) fixes Chexx boards.

From what I heard and such, they are shying away from original 83' boards. And chitownpinball has a non ice board.

There are 2,768 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 56.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside