Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,108 posts
  • 429 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Shaker
  • Topic is favorited by 159 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 3,108 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 63.
    #551 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I ended up opting for a coin door and split base to bump the price $2795. Still, not bad.

I have the coin door and split Base, too. Definitely worth the money. I use the coin box to store stuff. I would miss having that option with a home model. I do like the home option with the on/off and sound volume controls accessible on the exterior of the game, though.

Enjoy! Please post pics when you get it setup

#552 7 years ago
    Quoted from helicopter:

Where's the dome light? I have one of these as well? Mine is pretty nice. Somebody was trying to sell one these for like $6k on ebay awhile back. Blitzburgh is very knowledgeable on these.

If anyone runs across a Super Kixx Budweiser World Cup edition, I have a full set of NOS decals that needs a home. Also have a ball eject solenoid and extra players. All the items for a restoration. Let me know!

#553 7 years ago

Here's my Super Chexx. In spring of 2000, I ordered this direct from ICE. At that time, the black base had just been released as an option. I got the split base knowing tight corners or small doorways would never be an issue again.

List of mods:
    * Labatt Blue AHL Ice Surface
    * Jaegermeister ad at red line on the far boards
    * Pittsburgh Penguins patch on scoreboard
    * USA decals on blue team
    * Canada decals on red team
    * USA / Canada scoreboard decals
    * Canadian National Anthem
    * Split Base

Not installed:
    Custom painted teams:
    Pittsburgh Penguins All Time Team in the black Pittsburgh diagonal block uniforms: Kehoe (with moustache), Lemieux(C), Jagr, Ulf Samuelson, Carlyle(A), Barasso. Backup goalie: Ken Wregget in the "pajama" sweater.
    VS
    NHL "Six Pack for the Ages" n respective teams white uniforms: Hull, Gretzky(C), Howe, Harvey, Orr, Roy(A)

On the wall above it is my Wayne Gretzky Bubble Boys shadow box, with Gretzky's autograph. Prize received for winning the Bud Light Midwest Region Championship in 2002. My playing partner was Frank Dietz, who I consider to be one of the best bubble hockey players ever in his prime. Our team name was "Pittsburgh Pinballs." And I didn't start playing/collecting pinball until 3 years ago! Haha!

I hope you enjoy my pics.

IMG_6119 (resized).JPGIMG_6119 (resized).JPG

IMG_6120 (resized).JPGIMG_6120 (resized).JPG

IMG_6121 (resized).JPGIMG_6121 (resized).JPG

IMG_6122 (resized).JPGIMG_6122 (resized).JPG

IMG_6123 (resized).JPGIMG_6123 (resized).JPG

IMG_6124 (resized).JPGIMG_6124 (resized).JPG

#554 7 years ago

That's pretty sweet. I keep debating about painting my figures again. Last time I did a Gretzky (Oilers) vs Lemieux (Penguins) theme. I'm more of a casual fan so choosing a theme is always a toss up for me.

#555 7 years ago

I'm still looking for ideas on how to make numbers and names for the back of my USA/USSR players. I'd even pay to have them done if someone has that skill set...I don't.

#556 7 years ago

I think most just print them out on adhesive paper, apply them, and clear lacquer over the top. That's what I did for the one's below. That was my first time attempting any model painting. Hoping I could clean them up an a second attempt.

f0e0dc9a5097d6928d563f194bb24f1107ccda84 (resized).jpgf0e0dc9a5097d6928d563f194bb24f1107ccda84 (resized).jpg
    7fc290ef1d6b2f9415fd3234fbf39c19ab65ffbe.png (resized).jpg7fc290ef1d6b2f9415fd3234fbf39c19ab65ffbe.png (resized).jpg

#557 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I think most just print them out on adhesive paper, apply them, and clear lacquer over the top. That's what I did for the one's below. That was my first time attempting any model painting. Hoping I could clean them up an a second attempt.

So how do you know the style or font?
    Just trial and error?
    As you can see, I'm not very confident doing this myself...

#558 7 years ago

I had no idea. I just picked something I liked and went with it.

#559 7 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

So how do you know the style or font?
    Just trial and error?
    As you can see, I'm not very confident doing this myself...

Google "jersey fonts" or "sports fonts".

You'll find a site like this: http://www.fontspace.com/category/jersey

You may want to use something other than a word processor (Photoshop or Gimp?) to add different colours to the different areas of the font like lpeters82 was able to achieve. Though he may have been to accomplish that in Word too I suppose with a drop shadow or glow effect.

lpeters82 - I think your painting looks amazing for a first time, I hope to get similar results when I do mine. I'm going Chicago (Mostly new players, Toes,Kane/Roenick upfront, Keith and Seabrook on defense and a toss up between Belfour or Crawford in net) for sure... can't decide on their opponent, likely Toronto or Montreal.

#560 7 years ago

HUO Superchexx in Michigan $2700

#561 7 years ago

This is on our local Craigslist. Figured I'd pass it on to this thread.

minneapolis.craigslist.org link

#562 7 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

You may want to use something other than a word processor (Photoshop or Gimp?) to add different colours to the different areas of the font like lpeters82 was able to achieve. Though he may have been to accomplish that in Word too I suppose with a drop shadow or glow effect.
    lpeters82 - I think your painting looks amazing for a first time, I hope to get similar results when I do mine. I'm going Chicago (Mostly new players, Toes,Kane/Roenick upfront, Keith and Seabrook on defense and a toss up between Belfour or Crawford in net) for sure... can't decide on their opponent, likely Toronto or Montreal.

Fyi, you don't need to paint them, just order them from chexx for $99 a team. Much easier, just have to add the decals to the back and you're ready to go.

#563 7 years ago

I have these available if anyone looking for players. Just PM me with an offer.

IMG_6131 (resized).JPGIMG_6131 (resized).JPG

#564 7 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Fyi, you don't need to paint them, just order them from chexx for $99 a team. Much easier, just have to add the decals to the back and you're ready to go.

There is a level of logic to this approach... I'm trying to do this project on the cheap and it would be getting pretty close to $300 CDN to get those players to my door. If I was going to invest in any parts directly from Ice it is going to be a new ice surface I think. Though I am considering paying that myself too

#565 7 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

mmm good price. If my chexx buyer didn't back out I woulda scooped that up.

#566 7 years ago
    Quoted from thall17:

HUO Superchexx in Michigan $2700

Bad price. New amd shipped to your door is $2495-$2995 depending on the version.

#567 7 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

Is that the same one as this one? I have to guess that it has flown under the radar since it's not linked anywhere, and there was not a thread created. If it didn't say pick up only, I would have tried to buy it rather than the new one I have on order.

Other - For Sale
    “This is a home-use only Super Chexx Bubble Hockey Game by ICE. The table is in great mechanical and cosmetic condition. Extra parts are included. Pick up only and cash only.”
    2017-01-26
    Rochester, MN
    1,800 (OBO)
    Archived after: 20 days
    Viewed: 98 times

#568 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Is that the same one as this one? I have to guess that it has flown under the radar since it's not linked anywhere, and there was not a thread created. If it didn't say pick up only, I would have tried to buy it rather than the new one I have on order.

Other - For Sale
    Super Chexx Bubble Hockey Game Table by ICE
    “This is a home-use only Super Chexx Bubble Hockey Game by ICE. The table is in great mechanical and cosmetic condition. Extra parts are included. Pick up only and cash only.”
    13 days ago Rochester, MN 1,800 (OBO)
    mjthompson

That's it. I didn't realize it had a pinside ad. I know nothing about Bubble Hockey but the seller is a good guy. I dropped off my TZ at his house last week and saw the Bubble Hockey.

#569 7 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Thanks. I didn't mind the way they turned out, but whenever I do things myself I notice all of the flaws. For example, when I tiled our basement bathroom. After I was done small issues in spacing were bothering me. I went upstairs to see how the "professionals" had done it and saw that theirs was much worse then mine. It never bothered me upstairs. Anyway, as for the names and numbers, my guess is that's just Microsoft Word (Word Art), but I do also use pixlr which is a free online editor.

#570 7 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Thanks for the help Roar and everyone else. I'll embark on this challenge in the coming months.

#571 7 years ago

Anyone ever have success repairing a gear box? I have several players that could use a new gear box. I found a listing on eBay of someone selling just the gear box "clutch" for $5 claiming this is generally the part that goes and you can disassemble the box, replace the clutch and it'll work like new. Curious if anyone has tried this before. Definitely a lot cheaper than buying a whole new box for around $25. Might be worth just spending a few bucks to give it a try.

#572 7 years ago
    Quoted from albose:

Anyone ever have success repairing a gear box? I have several players that could use a new gear box. I found a listing on eBay of someone selling just the gear box "clutch" for $5 claiming this is generally the part that goes and you can disassemble the box, replace the clutch and it'll work like new. Curious if anyone has tried this before. Definitely a lot cheaper than buying a whole new box for around $25. Might be worth just spending a few bucks to give it a try.

Have a post?

Lots of times the teeth of the gears wear as well.

#573 7 years ago

My cuz has a super chexx with custom painted hawks/red wings figures thats been sitting for decades. Id like to get it restored, any one know any one in my area who might be able to take it on?

#574 7 years ago

Delivery was today. I still need to move things around a bit, but here's a couple of pics.

20170213_210352 (resized).jpg20170213_210352 (resized).jpg
    20170213_195600 (resized).jpg20170213_195600 (resized).jpg

#575 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

My cuz has a super chexx with custom painted hawks/red wings figures thats been sitting for decades. Id like to get it restored, any one know any one in my area who might be able to take it on?

Not a lot to them so restoring would be relatively easy! In short, do it yourself!

#576 7 years ago

That looks awesome! If I had the funds I would probably swap my foosball table for one of these. Have fun!

#577 7 years ago
    Quoted from albose:

Keep us posted on how that works. I'm curious as to how that would swap out. I'd just as soon change the whole gear box out. Should last quite a while in a home use environment.

#578 7 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Not a lot to them so restoring would be relatively easy! In short, do it yourself!

Wish I had the time. I work 90 hours a week and have a wife and kid. No time to even play my pins let alone restore anything. Hes got money, Ill spend it! LOL

#579 7 years ago

Wish I had the time. I work 90 hours a week and have a wife and kid. No time to even play my pins let alone restore anything. Hes got money, Ill spend it! LOL

You could've just said "wife and kids" and I would've understood!!!

I would love to restore one but obviously it's a little bit of a drive to drop it off!!!

#580 7 years ago

Here it is just so you can see. 1983 model, not in too bad of shape. I think shell clean up nice!

IMG_2994 (resized).JPGIMG_2994 (resized).JPG

#581 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Delivery was today. I still need to move things around a bit, but here's a couple of pics.

Mom looks to be enjoying it.

#582 7 years ago

Here it is just so you can see. 1983 model, not in too bad of shape. I think shell clean up nice!

Prety good shape!! The ice surface is obviously not original but the rest appears to be! Being that it's a 1983 is neat to see and would be great to restore!! Might get away with some Novus on the dome, maybe use #2!

#583 7 years ago

Well, got some bad news. I guess mine isnt a super chexx its a knock off brand called "face off" and my guy says the electronics wont be able to be fixed.

Any one in Illinois wanna take a shot at this thing?

#584 7 years ago

Well, got some bad news. I guess mine isnt a super chexx its a knock off brand called "face off" and my guy says the electronics wont be able to be fixed.
    Any one in Illinois wanna take a shot at this thing?

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/faceoff.htm

#585 7 years ago
    #586 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Mom looks to be enjoying it.

It was a hit on the first night. We'll see how it lasts.

#587 7 years ago

Thanks. Not sure thats going to help him but Ill pass it along.

#588 7 years ago

I'm guessing that thing is quite a bit more rare then a Chexx. It really is amazing how similar it is. When did Chexx come out? Wasn't it also 1983?

#589 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm guessing that thing is quite a bit more rare then a Chexx. It really is amazing how similar it is. When did Chexx come out? Wasn't it also 1983?

I guess this pre-dates chexx. Supposedly the guys are interchangeable but the electronics are not. I have an email out for some schematics so maybe I can send the boards out.

#590 7 years ago

Sega's came out in the 70's it says?

Chexx was 1983. I have an original chexx and it is sometime from 1983. If you open the sega up you should get pics of the boards and such!

#591 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Sega's came out in the 70's it says?
    Chexx was 1983. I have an original chexx and it is sometime from 1983. If you open the sega up you should get pics of the boards and such!

Oh im opening it up. Ive got an email out for schematics and Ill just send them to John Wart if hell take them. The rest can be done by my local guy I think.

#592 7 years ago

Anyone have an extra small stick figure? I have a CCCP goalie or USA long stick for trade, but I'd also be willing to purchase. Looking to complete a set for painting.

#593 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Keep us posted on how that works. I'm curious as to how that would swap out. I'd just as soon change the whole gear box out. Should last quite a while in a home use environment.

Just an FYI on this. I ordered a few gear box clutches to test and took apart my problem gear box last night. Found that the clutch and gears were actually fine. The tension pin that held the gear clutch onto the player rod had actually severed. It appears be a 1/16 tension pin a little less than an inch long that goes through the clutch and player rod. I looked online to see if this is a standard size item I could buy at Home Depot or Lowes but no luck (too small). Instead of ordering one somewhere, I took a 4d nail that was basically the same size, tapped out the broken pin and l tapped the nail in place. I then used a dremmel to cut off the excess nail on each end around the clutch. Put it back together (while adding a little white grease), put it in my game and it worked perfect. No noticeable difference from any of my other players. Just a head's up in case you think you need a new gear box. This took about 20 minutes to fix and was the cost of one nail. There is really nothing to those gear boxes and once apart it's pretty easy to tell what's wrong.

#594 7 years ago

you guys use the white grease in the player gear boxes, or graphite?

#595 7 years ago

Went to dig into my Sega Face Off today to get a better idea of what I am up against. Pretty positive news apparently.

I have +5 +8 and +12 as specified

The game coins up, and starts a game

The puck kicks out. Although the second game the puck would pop out. Need to look into that

The volume pot is shot. Its all the way down the game game is crazy loud. Its on the list to replace.

One of the guys is broken off. It looks like the post holding him onto the track is broken off. Any one have pics of replacing this?

The dome is scuffed pretty bad. I have a buddy with a detail shop who does headlight restores, you think if I have it to him he could make it new again. Should I look for a new one?

Hope to find a free play dip switch so I dont have to wire in a coin button.

All in all a good trip today. Pleased I can probably do this myself now. Game needs love, but not too much luckily.

IMG_3009 (resized).JPGIMG_3009 (resized).JPG

IMG_3008 (resized).JPGIMG_3008 (resized).JPG

IMG_3012 (resized).JPGIMG_3012 (resized).JPG

#596 7 years ago

Looks like the dome is the same as Chexx??? Measure the width and length where to dome attaches to the base and also measure the space between the holes where the screws attach the dome to the base! Be interesting to see if they're the same as the Chexx ones! If they're take it to your buddy and see what he can do. If he messes it up more you can either buy a new one or go with a used one that is in better condition than what you got!

As for the broken player, again if it's like Chexx, you should be able to take all the guys off buy just pulling straight up on them! Take them all out and then the one that is broken you can take the gear box off the end of the rod. This should allow you to turn the gear box and, hopefully, allow you to use something to punch the broken peg out!

Be interesting to see pics of the gear boxes to see if they're the same as well!!!

I see the base is all wood!!!! Unlike Chexx is plastic!

#597 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

you guys use the white grease in the player gear boxes, or graphite?

I've had good luck with the white grease but have only used it on a few gear boxes so far. When I picked up my used Chexx and took off the ice at home, there was graphite powder everywhere. It was a total mess. Someone had tried to lubricate all the tracks and rods with it and that stuff is not easy to clean up. Still working on it a couple months later but the game was a steal and almost 100% so can't complain too much.

#598 7 years ago
    Quoted from albose:

I've had good luck with the white grease but have only used it on a few gear boxes so far. When I picked up my used Chexx and took off the ice at home, there was graphite powder everywhere. It was a total mess. Someone had tried to lubricate all the tracks and rods with it and that stuff is not easy to clean up. Still working on it a couple months later but the game was a steal and almost 100% so can't complain too much.

My 1983 was and is like that too. Graphite just clumped but almost permant stuck to stuff.

I have some new gearboxes though and was going to lube them all again. I have white lithium grease for gear boxes in pinball, saw someone mention it above. Curious if that would work. Real stringy and sticky so shouldn't throw off and stay on.

#599 7 years ago

I believe white lithium grease is what's recommended by Chexx. I bought a tub of it and put some on when I restored my '83. I put it on the gearboxes and a little in the tracks. Doesn't take much, and if the game is clean (mine was completely diassembled for powder coating, so I got to clean every part pretty thoroughly), it will last a very long time.

#600 7 years ago

Woah woah woah, why havent you posted pics yet???

Quoted from shirkle:

I believe white lithium grease is what's recommended by Chexx. I bought a tub of it and put some on when I restored my '83. I put it on the gearboxes and a little in the tracks. Doesn't take much, and if the game is clean (mine was completely diassembled for powder coating, so I got to clean every part pretty thoroughly), it will last a very long time.

There are 3,108 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.