Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,108 posts
  • 429 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Shaker
  • Topic is favorited by 159 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 3,108 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 63.
    #451 7 years ago

You're crazy...you're crazy, man. I like you...but you're crazy

#452 7 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Can I join? Just picked this up last night.
    Formerly routed with 35k plays on the counter. Some scuffs and some scratches here and there, but overall not bad! Per the seller who refurbished it: board work done by Ice, new wire harness, new ribbon cable, new gear boxes as needed, new ice surface, figures painted with nail polish and clear. I'll hit the surface scratches on the dome with Novus 3-2-1.
    The only issue (which might be normal?) is the static noise from the speakers. No static until I hit the start button and then static noise throughout the game, which makes the music and sound effects less clear. Is this normal? If not, any recommendations on how to eliminate the static noise?
    Also, I can't find a date anywhere. Can you guys age this from looking at it?

Static noise is supposed to be mimicking crowd noise, it's normal. Maybe post a video of it.

#453 7 years ago

Done. Take a listen:

#455 7 years ago

Last month, I played one of these for the first time ever and had a freakin' blast. Would love to add one to my game room.

#456 7 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Static noise is supposed to be mimicking crowd noise, it's normal. Maybe post a video of it.

Ice will tell you it's static that's crowd noise....my game has the same issue since I bought New in box in 2002 or so. I do not think it's normal. I have bought, returned, sold a few of these in the past few years. I swapped a different board into mine and it sounded way better with no static. Now I am having an issue with my game that it will freeze during play or attract mode at various times. When I asked ice support about it, they told me to send on all the electronics and they would charge me for inspection. I may just buy a full replacement board at some point and do that. I think there is an easy fix to a known problem that they are keeping hush hush....(I'm into conspiracy theories!)

Something you want to look at. Make sure all of the ROM chips are seated properly. I have seen them with one pin bent and not in properly. That was a fix in one of my games as well.

#457 7 years ago

Done. Take a listen:
    » YouTube video

That's what mine sounds like, too. I agree. But ICE ignores. If it really is supposed to be their crowd noise, that crap programming.

#458 7 years ago

Here's a sound snippet from my game. I cannot really discern any type of sound abnormality.

Gord

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140469729@N02/32001540512/in/datetaken/

#459 7 years ago

That's how my game sounds. I know Super Chexx at one point got a hardware upgrade on the sound (part of the) board. Maybe the difference is before and after the sound upgrade?

Quoted from GRB1959:

Here's a sound snippet from my game. I cannot really discern any type of sound abnormality.

#460 7 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Gord
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/140469729@N02/32001540512/in/datetaken/

Big thank you to Lermods and Gord for posting the sound clips.

Gord, yours sounds much better! I bet hat's how it's supposed to sound. Apparently some have the static and some don't. If anyone knows of a fix please share. I'll make sure the chips are properly seated.

p.s. Initial impressions are that Super Chexx is really fun! Definitely more fun than foosball. I'm not saying it's better than pinball, but so far I like it. Also, I looked under the hood and there's almost nothing to it. Very easy to service. And the manufacturer sells every single part for very fair prices, probably everything needed to build one from scratch, which is awesome.

#461 7 years ago

Yes. Super Chexx are extremely easy to maintain. And are a blast to play!

Tips:
    1) don't clean the dome with windex. Use Novus 1.

2) if you want the puck to slide like it's actually on ice, get some lemon pledge spray, and wipe it down once or twice with that. Super fast!

#462 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

That's what mine sounds like, too. I agree. But ICE ignores. If it really is supposed to be their crowd noise, that crap programming.

I agree. I'm e-mailing my sound clip to Ice Support now. I'll share what they have to say.

#463 7 years ago

I agree. I'm e-mailing my sound clip to Ice Support now. I'll share what they have to say.

Keep us posted. It's bugged me ever since I got it, but hasn't been priority to look into very far

#464 7 years ago

2) if you want the puck to slide like it's actually on ice, get some lemon pledge spray, and wipe it down once or twice with that. Super fast!

or you can use a car detailing wax in a spray bottle. Will last longer than pledge! I have also used Carnauba wax!

#465 7 years ago

Need one of these (you know you do!!!) http://budweiser.ca/goallab/en/innovation/ice-hockey-tables/

#467 7 years ago

Been trying to figure this out since I saw the video last night. I'm just guessing projection mapping with a mini projector in the scoreboard. Now to figure out how to actually do it

#468 7 years ago

That mod is a must have!

#469 7 years ago

Perhaps volume pot is bad? Not grounded properly/loose wires?

Static is definitely not normal...

#470 7 years ago

I picked up a Chexx recently and had thoughts of doing this... now that I've seen it done I want it more would love more info on this but my Google-fu is letting me down.

#471 7 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

I picked up a Chexx recently and had thoughts of doing this... now that I've seen it done I want it more would love more info on this but my Google-fu is letting me down.

Looks like the projection is coming from outside the machine. The Usa flag reflects a little in the middle and look at the shadow of the player on the bottom left.

#472 7 years ago
    If that mod actually exists, I would be all in on that but I agree it does look like it is coming from outside the game.

#473 7 years ago

I have older Chexx game. The scoreboard has 57 on it and game doesn't work. Anybody ever run across this problem.

#474 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure the scoreboard would hold a pico projector once I swap it to use led lights but I'm hard pressed to believe with that short of a throw you'd get that sort of coverage corner to corner... so I'd have to agree that is is coming from outside of the dome but then I'd expect a lot more distortion in the image. Whatever they've done though is awesome.

#475 7 years ago

It is pretty sweet... but outside projection wouldn't look nearly as neat in person

#476 7 years ago

Pretty decent looking older Chexx machine on ebay for anyone looking: ebay.com link: itm

#477 7 years ago

I picked up an original 83 chexx that was in need of a restore . I'm almost done but I need the board serviced . It works except the scoreboard . I bought the upgrade scoreboard kit but the section on the board needs rebuilt . Does anyone know where I can send it to get it rebuilt ? I was also wondering , could you use a pi board and get it to have the same play but with better sound ?

IMG_3267 (resized).JPGIMG_3267 (resized).JPG

IMG_3271 (resized).JPGIMG_3271 (resized).JPG

IMG_3286 (resized).JPGIMG_3286 (resized).JPG

IMG_3353 (resized).JPGIMG_3353 (resized).JPG

IMG_3356 (resized).JPGIMG_3356 (resized).JPG

#478 7 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

Does anyone know where I can send it to get it rebuilt

I know you use to be able to send the boards to ICE. Maybe send them an email or call to see if they still offer this service!

#479 7 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

I picked up an original 83 chexx that was in need of a restore . I'm almost done but I need the board serviced . It works except the scoreboard . I bought the upgrade scoreboard kit but the section on the board needs rebuilt . Does anyone know where I can send it to get it rebuilt ? I was also wondering , could you use a pi board and get it to have the same play but with better sound ?

Look at the pins the scoreboard header plugs into. They usually burn BAD. Mine was black, burned bad on the back and had a hack done. Rob Anthony fixed mine at MGC, but it only had a bad header pin for the scoreboard.

#480 7 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

Without a doubt I'm confident the Pi can run this game. I'm actually playing around with a pi now seeing if I can make some progress as I picked up an 80's Chexx as well with a blown out board but this game is very simple. Some 7 segment displays, some reed switches and a 12v solenoid to launch the puck. You would need to use some shift registers to extend the number of gpio needed to run all the 7 segment displays but in theory this is all doable. You can even make your Chexx a Super Chexx by adding more reed switches and then enhance things like you said with better sound. The biggest holdup I'm facing is I don't know python. I making some progress though.

#481 7 years ago

Another nice looking Chexx on eBay, price currently at 1k and in OR ebay.com link: itm

#482 7 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Another nice looking Chexx on eBay, price currently at 1k and in OR ebay.com link

What a beauty! Looks mint! Looks like it's in WI.

#483 7 years ago

I heard back from Ice regarding my static noise. The first responder pretty much blew it off as "stadium noise". I was unsatisfied with that response and persisted. That e-mail got a more helpful response from a different employee who suggested reseating the daughter board (which appears to have the sound chips) and if that didn't work explained that I could either send in the board for repair or swap the board for a new one. Neither option was free because I'm far out of warranty, but the prices quoted seemed very reasonable. Reseating the daughter board yeilded no improvement. The previous owner said the board was already serviced by Ice, so I am considering swapping for a new one. I'd do it for sure if I knew 100% that would eliminate the static. I'd hate to drop the cash and still have the static.

#484 7 years ago

They quoted you a price? I had to talk with several people to get them to agree to send a quote even sending them the board. The closest they came for me was $75 per hour, plus parts.

#485 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

They quoted you a price? I had to talk with several people to get them to agree to send a quote even sending them the board. The closest they came for me was $75 per hour, plus parts.

Here's the figures I was given:

"The cost for board repair is $75.00 per hour plus parts. Advance replacement board is $450.00 deposit plus $20.00 swap fee. You will be charge a 20.00 swap fee $75.00 per hour plus parts and we’ll credit you after repair of your old board. Your credit back is around $300.00."

Sounds like the replace route with shipping both ways will run me about $200. That sure beats $450+. I'm thinking about doing it.

update:

After closely listening to the audio in these two Youtube clips with the volume up, plus the clip from Lermods, I'm becoming convinced the static noise is normal:

Knowing mine isn't faulty is reassuring. Back to enjoying it!

#486 7 years ago

I still do not think it's normal. I swapped boards between two games when I was shopping one out for sale....the static disappeared. I shoulda kept the good board in my permanent game, but couldn't bring myself to screw someone else over.

#487 7 years ago

I'm gonna post this here first before listing on eBay:

Two custom painted teams:
    All Time NHL vs. All Time Penguins

Used. Some chips in paint here and there. Will get some pics later and add here.

$200 shipped obo

#488 7 years ago

I still do not think it's normal. I swapped boards between two games when I was shopping one out for sale....the static disappeared. I shoulda kept the good board in my permanent game, but couldn't bring myself to screw someone else over.

The static is the crowd noise. If you swapped out and static stopped, the new one you put in is bad.

#489 7 years ago

If someone made that laser projection mod they'd sell a bunch.

#490 7 years ago

hi i m not an expert at all but wich is the main difference with a carrom bubble hockey.
    cause i played a chexx one many years before and sure one day get one in my game room.
    thanks.

#491 7 years ago
    Quoted from stef34:

hi i m not an expert at all but wich is the main difference with a carrom bubble hockey.
    cause i played a chexx one many years before and sure one day get one in my game room.
    thanks.

cheaper more home style version. It does not play the same as a chexx. I wanted to get a chexx and I couldn't find any cheap so I was going to get a knock off, was highly recommended to me by MANY people not to, if you want the chexx play. So I didn't and found a broken 83 chexx and fixed it The chexx is well worth the price.

#492 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

cheaper more home style version. It does not play the same as a chexx. I wanted to get a chexx and I couldn't find any cheap so I was going to get a knock off, was highly recommended to me by MANY people not to, if you want the chexx play. So I didn't and found a broken 83 chexx and fixed it The chexx is well worth the price.

ok many thanks that is what i wondered

#493 7 years ago
    Quoted from stef34:

thanks.

Super Chexx is full-featured, built like a tank, very serviceable piece of commercial arcade equipment. Anything else is a cheapened, less durable, less serviceable, and with less features, game for home use. Probably still fun, but lesser in every category. Here's a similar comparison:

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

stern-pinball2011-10-1406-22-10600 (resized).jpgstern-pinball2011-10-1406-22-10600 (resized).jpg

#494 7 years ago
    Quoted from stef34:

thanks.

Don't discount rod hockey.... there's a maker here in the us that builds them by hand. They are different... more technical.... very cool

#495 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

found a broken 83 chexx and fixed it The chexx is well worth the price.

I agree 100% ... you cant go wrong as I just did this myself and have no regrets at all.

#496 7 years ago

Were the playfields on the older games more yellow? If not,any tips for for trying to make it white again?

#497 7 years ago

Super Chexx is full-featured, built like a tank, very serviceable piece of commercial arcade equipment. Anything else is a cheapened, less durable, less serviceable, and with less features, game for home use. Probably still fun, but lesser in every category. Here's a similar comparison:

ok i know what purchase now when be ready!

#498 7 years ago

My Super Chexx sits proudly next to my small pin collection. Love it!

20170115 (resized).jpg20170115 (resized).jpg

#499 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Were the playfields on the older games more yellow? If not,any tips for for trying to make it white again?

No! Take a Magic Eraser to it!

#500 7 years ago

Yeah, I've tried a Magic Eraser...nothing. Actually it does help a bit, but it takes off more red and blue then anything. The figures are yellowing too. After doing some more research, I think I'm going to try a "retrobright" process to see if that makes any difference. I'm going to start with a bottle of Salon Care 40.

There are 3,108 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.