(8 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wll-03-7218a.jpg
Photo 013.jpg
photo (1).JPG
IMG_2578.JPG
#1 10 years ago

One of my caps is broken and I'd like to keep the original (looking) set. Since so many machines seem to have replaced with clear caps, does anybody have 1 or 2 old ones laying around. Let me know and what price you want.

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

Here's a pic of one

IMG_2578.JPGIMG_2578.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Those things are a fortune used.

If you put your chipped one upside down, or swap with another pop, can you hide it under the plastic?

#4 10 years ago

That explains why I've never seen one offered anywhere. I can probably turn it toward the left side plastic. It should disappear over there.

It's funny that this ended up being the one-off never to seen again part from this machine.

BTW: Thanks for the info.

#5 10 years ago

I've never seen them reproduced anywhere. Out of the three that we have one's got this big 'ol chip out of the side and all three are yellow. :[ I've always found it interesting how they all wrinkled up between the stamps on the edges, too.

photo (1).JPGphoto (1).JPG

edit - (I wasn't offering them for sale, just trying to make you feel better about yours. :/)

#6 10 years ago

i have 3 of them...pm me

Photo 013.jpgPhoto 013.jpg
#8 10 years ago

There was a guy here who remakes caps, I say we get him to make us some. Mine are all yellowed and one cracked.

#9 10 years ago

Looked like this thread: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-plastic-parts . If we got enough Space Shuttle owners together who were interested in buying the finished product I'd be willing to give it a try. The parts are simple enough and white means no color matching. I'm lousy at painting so we'd need to line someone up to add the red paint.

Thoughts?

#10 10 years ago

I would be in for a set. My caps have yellowed over the years. I have been thinking about spraying them white, but I was concerned the light wouldn't pass through them any more.

#11 10 years ago

If we can get 2 more owners committed I'll give it a try. Can you paint?

Maybe we should start a separate thread for this?

#12 10 years ago

Quiddity, what did those come from? I haven't seen a set with the W on them. Maybe it was an early run before the decided to cover with a plastic?

#13 10 years ago

Mine are yellow, I am in. I also have never seen the W one.

#14 10 years ago

Since the red area on the caps is recessed I don't think these would be hard to paint. I would even be down with just getting them in white and adding my own red paint.

#15 10 years ago

1 more committed and I'll order the stuff. If I can get the supplies for $100 and make 4 sets we should be into it for $25 each.

What kind of paint do you recommend?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

What kind of paint do you recommend?

You need paint that has solvents in it made to "bite" into plastic.

You could also have water slide decals made up and apply them, then clear over them.

#17 10 years ago

I'm in as well for the bumper caps.

What about the red and white stand-up targets? Is anyone making those? Along with the bumper caps, those are the only two parts I couldn't find for my shop job...

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

I'm in as well for the bumper caps.
What about the red and white stand-up targets? Is anyone making those?

I'm not sure if this material is strong enough for the direct hits. Leg me take a stab at the caps and it it looks like they have the correct toughness I'll take an attempt at the targets.

Those seem like they'd be easy since you only need a half mold for the front

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

What about the red and white stand-up targets? Is anyone making those? Along with the bumper caps, those are the only two parts I couldn't find for my shop job...

http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm $4 each.

wll-03-7218a.jpgwll-03-7218a.jpg
#20 10 years ago

Ah, thanks for the link Vid!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Quiddity, what did those come from? I haven't seen a set with the W on them. Maybe it was an early run before the decided to cover with a plastic?

They came off of our space shuttle. From what we've seen they are pretty rare. My husband had a thread ages ago asking about them, I'll see if I can dig it up once I kick my kid off my computer.

#22 10 years ago

I don't think any of mine are cracked, but they are a lil yellow. At $50 for a whole set I think I'd probably just 3d print my own. $30 ($10 each) I could see buying some replacements.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't think any of mine are cracked, but they are a lil yellow. At $50 for a whole set I think I'd probably just 3d print my own. $30 ($10 each) I could see buying some replacements.

Quite a few of these replacement caps can go for $20 a piece but I think they are NOS. I'm shooting for a sweet spot of $25 per set.

If you have the capability to 3D print them would that be more preferable to molding?

#24 10 years ago

Pinball Resource has the blank white caps, you just need a hot stamping tool or a stencil or a decal to add the red pattern.

#25 10 years ago

Vid with the winner!

Hot stamping sounds like a pain. I bet a simple stencil would do nicely.

#26 10 years ago

I would most likely be out with a stencil. It may be the only solution but you loose the original hot stamp look. Instead of a stencil I would probably just paint my originals.

2 weeks later
#27 10 years ago

I imagine I would be in for a nice, bright white replacement set of caps for space shuttle...so I would likely be in if you get the project off the ground! BTW.. CPR has released their space shuttle backglass!!!!

Did you ever get the replacement cap you were looking for?

--ED LI NY

#28 10 years ago

I got the material to (attempt) to make replacements. I am in the middle of my playfield swap so it needs to wait for that.

Funny but after I ordered the molding materials I did get a nice set of caps. I still want to try the process though. Sounds like a nice skill to have.

#29 10 years ago

I'd be in for a set as well.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

They came off of our space shuttle. From what we've seen they are pretty rare. My husband had a thread ages ago asking about them, I'll see if I can dig it up once I kick my kid off my computer.

I've NEVER been able to figure out why ours had the W's on them. Thankfully, I sold the game with the clear caps on it and kept the originals. I still have the ones she posted the picture of.

If someone knows why I have 'w' caps, and nobody else does, I'd love to hear it.

#31 10 years ago

everything arrived in good shape Cheddar? i hope so

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

everything arrived in good shape Cheddar? i hope so

Yeah I got them and they look great. Thanks for the hook up!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I've NEVER been able to figure out why ours had the W's on them. Thankfully, I sold the game with the clear caps on it and kept the originals. I still have the ones she posted the picture of.

If someone knows why I have 'w' caps, and nobody else does, I'd love to hear it.

My best guess is that someone ran a set of the "W" caps through the hot stamper and put the Shuttle imprint on them.

Was your serial # an early one?

#34 10 years ago

If you want to ship the w Caps to me I can try and mold them.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

My best guess is that someone ran a set of the "W" caps through the hot stamper and put the Shuttle imprint on them.
Was your serial # an early one?

I'll have to look it up. I don't believe so....

3 weeks later
#36 10 years ago

Somebody beat me to it. Quality looks pretty good. ebay.com link: link

#38 10 years ago

That is sweet.

A lot of happy Shuttle owners right now!

#39 10 years ago

Those look opaque... aren't the originals transluscent? And they STILL don't match my caps....maybe someday I'll figure out where mine came from. >_<

1 month later
#40 10 years ago

Installed mine this weekend. Personally, I think they look great!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-space-shuttle-bumper-cap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.