moldy_PF.JPG
cleared_playfield.JPG
overlay_installed-1.JPG
Space_invaders_(sanded_and_clearbefore.jpg
insert.jpg
SANY1183.JPG
SANY1148.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I picked up an SI and the playfield could use some work that is a bit out of my skill level. Testing the waters here to see if there are any better options out there for sale.

#2 10 years ago

Have an overlay if you are interested. Decided to touch mine up instead.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks, I need to do some more research on the overlays and how they impact play.

#4 10 years ago

I covered my overlay with mylar. Keep it waxed and it plays great. Some of the inserts don't line up perfectly with the playfield but it is a lot better than the trashed playfield I had before.

SANY1148.JPGSANY1148.JPG SANY1183.JPGSANY1183.JPG insert.jpginsert.jpg

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

the trashed playfield I had before

Wow....that's one of the worst I've seen.

#6 10 years ago

this is exactly what i did this week.

there's a few space invaders overlays outhere, found a super thin one (made to be clear) with clear insert (no opaque colors over the inserts) with a real good quality printing. best one i've seen yet, unfortunately this one also doesn't align perfectly.

and i also did a clear job on top of it, it's flat like a glass, it's gonna be pretty fast.

Space_invaders_(sanded_and_clearbefore.jpgSpace_invaders_(sanded_and_clearbefore.jpg overlay_installed-1.JPGoverlay_installed-1.JPG cleared_playfield.JPGcleared_playfield.JPG

#7 10 years ago

In case you didn't catch it, the white stuff around the inserts on the trashed PF is mold. The inside of the cabinet was covered in it. I found it in a damp warehouse in the very back. The head was off and stored elsewhere in a dry area, so the electronics were usable. Overall I am happy with the overlay. Here's a couple of pictures. moldy_PF.JPGmoldy_PF.JPG Finished.JPGFinished.JPG

#8 10 years ago

Wow, thanks for the photos and tips guys. The overlay route just might work!

#9 10 years ago

Overlays get a bad rap, but if done correctly, they're acceptable. I once had a SI with one, and believe me you could NOT tell!. Played fast and looked miles better than ANY SI out there. FWIW, SI is one of the most blown-out playfields I've ever come across. I don't know what it is about them-they certainly have gotten their fair share of play. Testimony to it being an awesome pin, in my opinion!
Doc

3 weeks later
#10 10 years ago

I am getting closer to the PF portion of my restore. Any SI PF's around out there?

#11 10 years ago

Seems like every Space Invaders playfield is trashed in the middle, but HOLY $!*&. That is the nastiest one I have ever seen! Great job on the overlay!

#12 10 years ago

Where can you find these overlays and how can you tell which one the good one is?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-space-invaders-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.