Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3850 (resized).JPG
IMG_3844 (resized).JPG
IMG_3843 (resized).JPG
IMG_3840 (resized).JPG
IMG_3839 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider theonlyest.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 7 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Parts - wanted

WTB: Pinball 2000 Computer: OEM, Nucore or Pinbox

Added: 2017-04-18 21:23:26 UTC • Ended: May 10th, 2017

Price

Wanted

Please help!! I have completed a fully restored SWE1 machine with a brand new PF, LCD conversion, etc, but I cannot get the original computer to boot. I have done everything you can do (recapped, etc) to get this this thing to work, to no avail.
I would love a working "drop-in" setup (OEM, Nucore or Pinbox), but I may also be interested in any working OEM computer parts you may have, like a good motherboard.

Of course I am willing to pay, but I have a brand new SWE1 daughter board, complete ROM set, some cab graphics and a ton of good SWE1 PF parts to trade if you need.

No good deed goes unpunished... This is what I get for trying to bring a thrashed and neglected pin back from the dead!! lol

Item photos

No images have been added to this ad listing yet.

No photos have been uploaded for this ad.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are TheOnlyest's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to TheOnlyest's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Item location

Las Vegas, NV, US

#3 7 years ago

I am familiar with Linux and Ubuntu, but not a proficient user of either. The problem building this from scratch seems to be configuration and scarcity of the SWE1 emulation software. There is lots of info online about how awesome Nucore is, but next to nothing for tutorials about how to build or configure the system. I am 90% sure my motherboard is bad, and there are none to be found. I am also 90% sure my prism card is good... The problem there is, i'm not 100% sure on either. I am looking around town for someone with a working SWE1, that will let me use it to test my prism card, but I havn't found one yet.
I have spent a TON of time restoring this game to pristine glory and honestly I just don't have any more time (or desire) to screw around with this stupid computer, so i'm really hoping for a truly "plug and play" solution that I can just buy, connect and play.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

If it is the motherboard then you're not seeing anything happen to the Playfield or screen....no boot.

That. Still 90% sure the prism card is good.

If I was in your situation I would remove a motherboard from an old unused desktop computer that I have laying around. Throw Linux on a hard drive.

Just any ol motherboard huh? Are you sure? If so, piece of cake!

Hook up the necessary peripherals/ drivers. Use Ubuntu to download pinbox rar. file.

AHH!! Therein lies the mystery!! This is where the very highly detailed and incredibly specific instructions allude me.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from pumpkinlad:

Also I am in SW Vegas with a working Revenge from Mars if you want to do some testing with my parts to narrow down exactly what is going on and then figure out a solution from there.

Thanks for the offer! Depending on which route I go, new OEM computer or Pinbox, I may take you up on this!

#10 7 years ago

Thanks so much for all the help and input guys, and please keep it coming!! Ive had a few PM's from people trying to help, and I am getting some really great nuggets that may help in building myself a Pinbox setup, but I still am missing many details.
Unless I post here, or archive this ad, I am still VERY interested in buying an OEM computer or "plug and play" Pinbox or Nucore system!

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Don't go down the rabbit hole like I did....Send your computer to Borygard (Rob) for repair.

What rabbit hole is that??

#14 7 years ago

I think I found the rabbit hole... While i'm trying to make a deal with somebody for a solution, I decided to try and build my own Pinbox setup. Since I am not at all savvy with Linux/Ubuntu, its proving to be very complicated and frustrating!
I have both versions of Pinbox (torrent w/ROMs & original install without ROMs, but I have the ROM .tar file) and I cant get either to cooperate!! The original version installs and boots correctly, but will NOT load the ROMs from the flash drive, and the torrent version wont boot into the Pinbox GUI, it just gives me a assload of terminal crap that may as well be in chinese!
So, at every turn in this stupid adventure to actually PLAY my freshly restored SWE1, I have hit yet another brick wall!!

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from goldiewag:

Do you have the pinbox install guide? Also there have been a few posts on here about getting it to work.

Yes, and I have read everything in this forum. I actually got the OEM disk setup to install the ROMs, but I had to put the .tar file in the pinbox directory because it refused to seek the flash drive. But that put me at the same dead-end as the torrent version with the ROMs... Im stuck in terminal prompt and cant get to the Pinbox Desktop, or use the commands suggested in the forum because the system refuses to connect to the internet, even though it is seeing that a network is connected!!
What I need ideally is the disk image of the HDD in a working system!! Or better yet, a solution that doesn't require an internet connection!! If this setup was designed to work after installation, with all the system files required included, then why doesn't it???

#18 7 years ago

This is useless, and I have no clue what to do...

IMG_3839 (resized).JPGIMG_3839 (resized).JPG

#19 7 years ago

Well well! look what happened! I wonder if this is something??

IMG_3840 (resized).JPGIMG_3840 (resized).JPG

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Any more updates?

Not for a few hours, ive been working on this at work, on the bench. When I get home obviously I will connect it to the game and see what happens... But i'm not holding my breath! But I will update then.

#23 7 years ago

Well, its odd that its asking me to pick from ONE game, especially when I have the settings set for "SWE1 only" and auto-detect turned off... But I also have no clue is this is normal behavior, cuz I cant any info anywhere to confirm it!

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I know you said you've read all about pinbox on here... just wanted to make sure you saw this post in case it may help?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/linuxubuntu-gurus-please-help-me#post-1109682

Oh yes, many many times... Helpful!

#27 7 years ago

Oh, I almost forgot...

IMG_3843 (resized).JPGIMG_3843 (resized).JPG

#30 7 years ago

I cut a piece of malamine to fit into the factory computer bracket and mounted all the PC bits to it. I arranged all the connections to be where the cab connections were.

IMG_3844 (resized).JPGIMG_3844 (resized).JPG

#32 7 years ago

All in a days work. Very Nice. Did you grab those parts out of a desktop computer?
I'm referring to the motherboard with cpu and fan, the power supply and the hard drive.

Yup, all from my retired Windows Vista PC, except the HDD. 6-core 2.66 AMD, 8G RAM. And a really old but barely used 40G Maxtor Pro HDD with anti-shock mount, designed for arcade machines and severe conditions.
So I had all this crap, and this experiment hasn't cost me a cent... Which is why I said "what the hell", but I still dont know if this setup will play nice with the playfield, and I still want an OEM computer.

I built a new bad mamajamma PC from scratch when 8.1 came out.

#34 7 years ago

Once you get it totally complete. I suggest hooking up an external bass sub to the lower cabinet speaker. The explosions and the action on this game Rock it hard!! I use the same bass that lot of other pinsiders use....... the psw10. Usually right around $100, to me the best upgrade for this game along with LED's.

Yea, the whole sound issue is one I havn't concerned myself with yet, not until I know this is going to work. And I have to find a male 6-pin connector to use with the existing harness. I do not hack up pin wiring harnesses, and I need to be able to still connect the speaker harness to the OEM amp in (what I now refer to as) the "DumbBox".

#36 7 years ago

Yeah, never thought about hooking the sound up this way. Most computer motherboards only have sound output for headphone or speaker jacks. I'm curious to see how this is resolved.
What's really cool is Linux can be booted from a flash drive. I wonder if anybody's ever gotten this to work in that manner. I'm going to install virtualbox on my PC and try pinbox with linux or xp. Your running on Linux? If I convert my PK2000 this way I'll probably use SSD rather than SATA drive.

This MB has multiple audio outs, but all are line-level. I dont think ive ever seen a MB with an amp built in. I will need a 2.1ch amp to get good sound with this setup, but I need to adapt the amp output to the 6-pin connector in the cab harness. For now im using the speakers in the LCD monitor for testing purposes. But again, the sound is not a priority as I want to use an OEM computer, but if this Pinbox thingy works, it' be a good backup.

PS. I tried installing Pinbox to a 32G flashdrive instead of an HDD, is was slow as shit.

#38 7 years ago

Yeah USB 2.0 super slow. Transfer speed something like 60 megabytes a second. The most up-to-date solid state drives hooked up through SATA connection transfer speeds are 60 gigabytes!
1000 times faster!

Indeed! My home PC has 3 SSD's, no mechanical drives. 1000 times overkill for Pinbox! The 40G drive im using for this Pinbox is IDE! Plenty fast enough!!

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

Great progress,it will be fine if you write some tutorial when test everything.Step by step.
Is it need to be small HDD or it can be put some bigger like 80GB,160GB or more.The idea is that these small drives are rare and usually don't have too much life.

You can use any drive you want, but the system only requires 8GB.

#42 7 years ago

Well, I got the game back together and the PF back in today, it works great with the Pinbox. It boots right up and loads SWE1 just like its supposed too! But of course, there's a problem.... It wont save my game settings?? I set it to free play, and after a reboot, defaults are back!! Pinbox is nifty and all, but this constant high-maintenance PITA is not cute anymore...

IMG_3850 (resized).JPGIMG_3850 (resized).JPG

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from sparkup:

Did you play a complete game after making setting changes and before shutting down the machine?

Well, I thought I did, but on your advice, I changed settings and played 2 games and then let it run in attract mode for 5 mins, then power cycled... Settings saved, including my high score! Thanks!
The only thing I have to figure out now is why the light saber doesn't do anything... Its a brand new populated PF, so i'm sure its something simple. Done for today, spent the last 11 hrs on this thing non-stop, i'm wrecked!

#46 7 years ago

Light saber neon fixed, had to replace the ULN2803A at U35. Not exactly a simple fix, but the game is working 100% now.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Nice work! How did you diagnose that?

Checked for + voltage, then grounded the - side and the neon came on, which means the signal driver isn't firing.
Looked a the schematic and found that the neon is not driven by the usual on/off NPN transistor usually used in a solenoid/flasher circuit, its driven by a ULN2803A. Which made sense in hind-sight since the neon pulses and fades.
Anyway, the IC wasn't visibly damaged, but I had to start somewhere, and U35 is the last IC before the signal goes out to the PF.

#50 7 years ago

Awesome job! When are you going to build a Revenge from Mars? Perhaps a Playfield swap? Regardless, those two make a good couple!

I curently have no plans to do so.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider theonlyest.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-pinball-2000-computer-oem-nucore-or-pinbox?tu=theonlyest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.