IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0057-434.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg
WP_001706.jpg
WP_001705.jpg
WP_001701.jpg
WP_001708.jpg
MARS Backs.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fretto1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 10 years ago

I have some hi-res scans from back and front of inner MGOW back glass.
I am going to print it on vinyl and integrate the green scoring windows.
The finish on the front will be privacy film that looks somewhat like a mirror.
This will probably the best option to replace that scarce back glass.
The Gottlieb TM is removed from the scan so there will be no (C) issues, I hope.
I will have poly carbonate and tempered glass versions.
I'm about there; will post pictures of end result.
Pricing, not sure yet.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

If it was that simple, there would be repro Gottlieb artwork all over the place.

No one said it was simple, even far from that.
If I have to mention my correspondence with Mr. Fesjian from Mondial Group
then we could go on and on. That's not my intent.
Everything on my end that needed to be done has been done.
It's not something achieved in a week but took me years of hard work.
Whatever proto type comes from my hands, either circuit boards or art repro's,
I always offer them for review to the person(s) who are the rightful owners of the GTB Trademark.
And let me tell you, they are by far not the worst people to deal with, in fact they are awesome once you get to know them.
It's the people on the side lines who are driving me more crazy at times.
No, for sure it is not simple but for the love of pinball I will keep pushing until the product is out there.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from cpu-slave:

I'm definitely in for one.
I talked to Doc at expo a few years back and asked about his MGOW backglass project - "Soon." was the response so take that as you will. CPR has the process to do mirroring now, but I'm not sure if they can get past the licensing or if they even feel it's a large enough seller.

You are very correct. My hopes were also aimed at CPR, I know they can get it done.
My first Mars had a glass that exploded just by opening the back box.
I had a repro replacement with that black background, not bad, for sure better than that empty spot.
Someone in CA worked hard on it but decided to let it go.
The files were sent to me and after some work this actually came really close to the original.
The mirroring was just not there but other than that it is a very decent replacement.
Next week I am planning to get the files printed on 26'' by 26'' vinyl sheets.
All scans, back and front, have been lined up against each other, only skill needed is to get the vinyl perfectly on the glass or polycarbonate.
I want to try both materials because shipping polycarbonate is less tricky than shipping that fragile glass.

BTW, I found an original inner glass years ago for $400. (Lucky me).
At the time EBayer's could see the bidders identities and not 3 minutes after auction closed I had persons mailing me they would pay up to $800(!) for the glass.
But I will never let it go since MARS GOW is my favorite GTB pin.

The attached picture shows the repro I bought at the time (2003) and didn't have the back scan present.
Now that image is available and the front has a privacy film cover to get some of the mirror effect on to it.
New green display windows will be integrated.
I am anxious but for sure will have some try-outs posted here soon.
And yes, I am selling them since Gottlieb had a very crappy design to hold that glass secure in the first place.
I resent them for that and the least thing they can do or allow is to set the record straight by having these items reproduced and replaced.

Mars01.jpgMars01.jpg

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Sorry if you found my comment offensive. Based on your post, I had no idea that this was a reproduction that was done with permission through the proper license channels.

No problem at all; I wasn't referring to you btw. No worries.
What I meant to say is when going thru the channels, it is easier to work with the Trademark owner than the person(s) holding the license(s) to manufacture.
That always baffled me, very frustrating.
Every time an inner glass brakes, you can count on it there will be another machine up for parting out.
I am so against that if the reasoning can be prevented by reproducing the stinkin' items needed to keep 'em around.
What good is a license when the machines are going up in parts.
Anyway; the ones I am going to try are -and will be proto types.
There will be no intend to mass reproduce, as with all the stuff I rebuilt for my own machines.
I always have very small runs of items, simply because I don't have the funds to 'go big'.
All the earnings collected are to get new pinball parts; and it is not a lot of dough that comes in.
As long as I can break even I will keep doing it, for the fun I have with pinballs.
Cheers mate, have a great weekend.

2 weeks later
#30 10 years ago

Ok guys; keep your fingers crossed.
This weekend I will assemble the inner glass proto type.
Below are the vinyl prints I just picked up.
I decided to go a totally different route and used different base materials.
Biggest challenge for now are the green display windows.
Final treatment will be the application of a mirror film to the front.
Might be easy or a challenge from hell, probably a little bit of both.

MARS INSIDE PRINTS.jpgMARS INSIDE PRINTS.jpg

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

i have one thats not in great shape , i was hanging onto it as years ago i needed one and it was almost impossible to find.

Dave ???

How's it going man!? I bought my MARS from you back in 2003.
Great machine. Totally revamped it; looks brand new now.
I still have it and will never get rid of it; inserted a near mint playfield also.
I found a near perfect inner glass and bought it because mine exploded by just opening the back box at the time.
Well, good to hear from you again.
I got all new boards for GTB system 80.
So, if you ever need those ..........

1 week later
#36 10 years ago

MARS Exploded Glass.JPGMARS Exploded Glass.JPG
So, the picture here I took about 5 minutes after receiving the game in 2003....
look familiar????????????????
That hurt!!!!

1 month later
#45 9 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

Any news on the repro work discussed above?

Yes, the scans done on vinyl look great but not great enough.
I want a better contrast so we're trying it on sticker material which is also thicker than vinyl.
The green display windows weren't an issue, that looks awesome in fact.
When applying the vinyl there was somewhat too much stretch when applying it.
But let me tell you with that backside print applied it makes a good and acceptable inner back glass.
I already bought the shipping boxes where it fits in beautifully.
All will made from acrylic sheets.
Only on custom orders I will use tempered glass. (They will run about $50 more + $25 more for shipping, that stuff is HEAVY, with plexiglass not as much).
I know, I know, it took a long time but all I want is those glasses to be more than acceptable.
Looks like the first ones will go for around $250, shipping is included.
Cost break down:
the materials are about $50 (Acryllic, green display window material, privacy/mirror film and applying/match up this stuff)
the printing about $80 for back and front print.
Shipping is about $40 - $50 (ONLY in USA; outside USA there will be, of course, a major extra charge for the size of that crazy shipping box).
Leaves about $70 for my time to drive around town, package material, packaging it and drag it to a shipping location.
I had a total of $300 in mind but $250 is more reasonable.
THIS APPLIES ONLY FOR THE 1st ONES.
If it turns out shipping is more then of course there will be a higher charge.
(Quantities are limited.)
I will post pictures when I got some good ones ready to go and when I think they are worth posting.
Meanwhile I hope CPR comes out with their versions because this project is/was a major pain in the butt and I wasted/lost a lot of time and finances. (No complaints, just a FYI).

Be back soon

1 month later
#51 9 years ago

Ok guys,
Sorry for the delay.
The guy applying the prints to the acrylic got a mental breakdown over this project.
(I warned him upfront there's a curse going around over these MARS inner glasses).

Now I found a specialized place to apply the prints to the plexiglass sheet.
Hey I spent 'only' around 600 bucks to get this stuff going with some great results ahead.

Stay tuned, don't part those MARS's out as of yet!

#53 9 years ago

No, with the clips I positioned the glass in the top 2 clips, lifted the glass somewhat and then lowered it into the lower clips.
Now I bought some plastic guide rails (j-profile) at pinballlife.com and copied the design for inner back glass from black hole.

With the new acrylic sheets one could drop it at full pleasure without breaking in a million pieces.

#55 9 years ago

It's exactly the same thickness and sizes as the original glass: 1/8" and 26" by 26" square.

#58 9 years ago

For sure I will get in touch with you.
I got hi-res scans from back and front for the inner glass.
The mirroring is something I would like to see applied as the original.
At this point I have several questions and will PM you shortly.
Thanks for your message!

1 week later
#62 9 years ago

www.pinballlife.com has some plastic j-molding which I installed in mine.
I hate those SOB inner glass clips from MARS GOW.
Anyway; put a thick towel under the back box where it opens up.
Be very careful when sliding open the back door.
When the glass is still in those clips, hold with your right hand the right top side of the inner glass and with your right thumb nail lift the clip until it clears the glass and carefully pull the glass away about half an inch.
Then the same on the left side until the top clips are completely cleared and then even more carefully lift the glass out of the bottom clips.
Make sure that towel is under the glass where those clips are in case the innerglass decides to go its own way.

I installed the J-molding just as my black hole has and now it is just a matter of sliding the glass in and out.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

BTW, I like your YT videos. It's kind of neat seeing and hearing the results of boards from different game titles being demonstrated in your MGOW.

That MARS has seen more boards in it than any other machine around.
Every gottlieb board that goes out the door is tested in this machine.
(And still has another original inner b. glass in perfect condition).

Tomorrow or Wednesday I should have a replica of an inner glass.
For the mirror effect I am going to apply (30%) privacy mirror film to the entire front.
Man, did I waste a bunch of money to get there.
I just want those MARS's stopped from being parted out, it's a great game with even better sounds.
Will post pics. here soon. Sorry for all the delays but I never quit until it is right!!!

#67 9 years ago

It's coming up and work is in progress.
I really would like to see your MARS GoW after restoration. Mine is going up soon too for full playfield and cabinet restoration.
Hang in here; be back soon.
BTW; You're right. This should be a MARS GOW club.
It's a damn nice machine in my opinion.

#68 9 years ago

IMG_20140725_140206_322.jpgIMG_20140725_140206_322.jpg

IMG_20140725_140222_313.jpgIMG_20140725_140222_313.jpg MARS God of War  Inner Back Glass 04.jpgMARS God of War Inner Back Glass 04.jpg MARS God of War  Inner Back Glass 05.jpgMARS God of War Inner Back Glass 05.jpg MARS God of War  Inner Back Glass 09.jpgMARS God of War Inner Back Glass 09.jpg MARS God of War  Inner Back Glass 12.jpgMARS God of War Inner Back Glass 12.jpg MARS God of War  Inner Back Glass 06.jpgMARS God of War Inner Back Glass 06.jpg MARS God of War  Inner Back Glass 07.jpgMARS God of War Inner Back Glass 07.jpg
#69 9 years ago

All pictures are from the reproduction, except for 1.

As of now I manually applied the privacy mirror film, the next ones will be done at the printing shop.
Then all looks perfect.
So far this is a very acceptable inner back glass.
I will do between 5 to 10 glasses so let me know when interested.
Your wait will be between 1 - 2 weeks before arriving at your door.
Prices are $249 for a standard version, and $299 when the mirror film is applied.
Shipping within USA is between $40 - $60, depending on your location.
Send me a PM here in pinside to sign up and / or when having any other questions.

I'm gonna play this machine with the repro in it for a while.
THIS IS THE MARS GOW CLUB!!!!!

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

BTW, an awesome callout by Todd during the Raven, Special Force and Gold Wings video (at 3:30)!

Thanks so much for the info!!!
I like TNT; they got the best videos and always the games I would like to have myself!

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Can someone please show a picture of what the J-moulding plastic looks like?
I have seen a lot of pictures showing a mounted inner glas, but not clearly what the solution is.
For me getting some minor plastic from overseas is very expensive.
It will show me what to look for.
Too bad I haven't got a Black Hole or Haunted House.
Then I can really see what you all are talking about.

Hee Hoekse Waard; go back 1 page and there's all these pictures posted of J-molding with MARS innerglasses and all.
Groeten aan Oud-Beijerland; daar ben ik opgegroeid.
Stuur me een email met je adres en ik stuur je gratis een setje j-plastics op.

Mazzel waar je woont want nu is het ineens gratis!!

Sorry folks, 'Inkochnito' lives where I grew up.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

Fretto, Todd makes mention of you again in a new video (Black Hole) and he also talks about your new inner backglass project.
» YouTube video

Thanks again, I need to start making more time to look around.
So busy lately with the other pinball stuff.
Thanks again for reminding, I will watch!!

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

It's a small world after all.....
Thanks Fretto.
En de groeten terug natuurlijk.
PM verstuurd.
Nice work on the reproduction backglass by the way.

I will get back with you shortly; crazy busy weekend just behind me.
Thanks for your message; I'm working on it.

Fred

#79 9 years ago

...... and a black cabinet!!!
That's just great; looking my butt off for years for one of those.

So you replaced all boards; except for the sound speech board.
I got new ones of those available with a new integrated amplifier which sounds so much better than the old design.
Just saying; if time's there...... I still have them for sale.

#82 9 years ago

Attack, attack..................... HyperForce 5!!!!
MARS Fronts.jpgMARS Fronts.jpg

MARS Backs.jpgMARS Backs.jpg
#88 9 years ago

For the people that want to 'channel' (J-Mold) their inner back glass:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=213&pg=1

There's all you need to modify your MARS swing door so it holds the back glass safely.
When using the acrylic replacement glass; keep using the clips. You will laugh and not be scared anymore to break it this time.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I tried plastic first but I must have used the wrong kind, it transferred light to the edge and was kind of an added distraction from the original art in my eyes.
Steve

Is it metal or some sort? Just wondering.
If it is metal, it might wear on the pinballs itself when hitting it and in the end wear your playfield out by abrasive pinballs.
I can be wrong since I really have no clue what material it is but it looks great for sure

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

You are the man, Fretto! That's an awesome effort. Did you end up making any changes from the prototype?
Also, sign me up for a set of the mounting guides you're talking about. I'm not planning on putting my original glass back in with those damn clips.

Here above I placed a link to the stuff you need for putting the back glass in the outer door from back box.
For the inner back glass and modifications; it is just a job from hell, good results though.
Without the mirror film I like it myself better but then again I want that mirror effect so it is personal consideration for your game.
It is really difficult to apply 3 prints without bubbles. We used a high pressure laminator to press it all together.
Outlining the layers is a job by itself; needed a pro to get the alignment done the correct way.

But it all looks good. I tried all the glasses/acrylics and all of them passed but 1.
That one will be stripped in the front and done again.
Remember this is an emergency solution and I am hoping the guys from CPR can step up their pace a little to get the real stuff done.

By the way; the 1 that is returned to the shop is the only one left for this run.
The rest sold the same day I picked them up.
Ordered another batch, so let me know when interested.
They sell for $299 each and around $48 for shipping.
(2 glasses in 1 box was around $65 to ship within USA, just saying, it is A LOT of work).

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

It's stainless steel, in the 30+ years I've been using it, it's never done what you describe. I also use stainless steel pinballs in all my games, they are a little bit more expensive but I like how they perform since they aren't prone to pitting.
Steve

Thanks for that info, I had no clue there were stainless ones out there.
As far as I knew there were only the carbon steel ones.
I might change over then to the higher quality also.

For the new thread; it is a good idea to start the Mars GoW club and will probably do so.
I got all my boards replaced with new own reproductions; even the 'woody' power supply for sound speech board has now the same power supply as Black Hole and up.
And the hardobtainium interconnect cable between MPU & driver has now a regular IDE hard drive computer cable where the Ground Mods. are history. (Also due to the modified grounds on the driver board that are all tied together now).
Will look into the new thread.

1 week later
#105 9 years ago

Besides the hand print, that one is in mint condition!
Nice looking glass; picture #2 gives me the living creeps though..... those clips!!!
Better safe than sorry, get those Black Hole molds in asap.
I don't even dare to put my original glass near these clips anymore.

2 weeks later
#110 9 years ago

Thanks for showing the LED setup.
Makes it look way nicer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fretto1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-mars-god-of-war-backglass?tu=Fretto1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.