Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Didj
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 40 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170418_161000a (resized).jpg
20170418_160705c (resized).jpg
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0038.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0057-434.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg
WP_001706.jpg
WP_001705.jpg
WP_001701.jpg
WP_001708.jpg
MARS Backs.jpg

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

Ok guys,
Sorry for the delay.
The guy applying the prints to the acrylic got a mental breakdown over this project.
(I warned him upfront there's a curse going around over these MARS inner glasses).

Now I found a specialized place to apply the prints to the plexiglass sheet.
Hey I spent 'only' around 600 bucks to get this stuff going with some great results ahead.

Stay tuned, don't part those MARS's out as of yet!

#52 5 years ago

What do you do? slide the backglass into the clips like you would slide a playfield glass?

#53 5 years ago

No, with the clips I positioned the glass in the top 2 clips, lifted the glass somewhat and then lowered it into the lower clips.
Now I bought some plastic guide rails (j-profile) at pinballlife.com and copied the design for inner back glass from black hole.

With the new acrylic sheets one could drop it at full pleasure without breaking in a million pieces.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Fretto1:

With the new acrylic sheets

How does the thickness compare with original? I'm just making sure the new ones will fit the original clips. The clips on mine seem particularly tight.

#55 5 years ago

It's exactly the same thickness and sizes as the original glass: 1/8" and 26" by 26" square.

#56 5 years ago

Exciting, even for a guy with both glasses.

#57 5 years ago

Let me know if this doesn't turn out as well as you like. I might be able to source out the mirroring. Everything else is ok on my end for production.

www.greatpinball.com

I am also a licensee of Gottlieb LLC, get to do the stuff the bigger guys pass on. Same as Planetary Pinball, stuck in the bowling theme em's at this time.

Sweet Sioux one of my favorite Gottlieb reproductions. First sample Q Berts Quest, colors to be tweaked.
Approved Glass titles: Sweet Sioux, Gaucho, Aloha, Happy Go Lucky, Eye Of The Tiger, more to come if art titles available.

001-932.JPG
007-982.JPG
001-278.JPG
002-44.JPG

#58 5 years ago

For sure I will get in touch with you.
I got hi-res scans from back and front for the inner glass.
The mirroring is something I would like to see applied as the original.
At this point I have several questions and will PM you shortly.
Thanks for your message!

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

stuck in the bowling theme em's at this time.

Any chance of a Gott King Pin repro in our future?

#60 5 years ago

Ask Shay its on the list as being done by him. I had the art for Williams King Pin but Jeff beat me to market.

1 week later
#61 5 years ago

This thread is making me very nervous as I'm awaiting delivery of a MGOW. Any specific tips for opening the back box for the first time? Step two, assuming the glass survives, is to replace the original clips - is there a hardware store solution or do you need parts from another game?

#62 5 years ago

www.pinballlife.com has some plastic j-molding which I installed in mine.
I hate those SOB inner glass clips from MARS GOW.
Anyway; put a thick towel under the back box where it opens up.
Be very careful when sliding open the back door.
When the glass is still in those clips, hold with your right hand the right top side of the inner glass and with your right thumb nail lift the clip until it clears the glass and carefully pull the glass away about half an inch.
Then the same on the left side until the top clips are completely cleared and then even more carefully lift the glass out of the bottom clips.
Make sure that towel is under the glass where those clips are in case the innerglass decides to go its own way.

I installed the J-molding just as my black hole has and now it is just a matter of sliding the glass in and out.

#63 5 years ago

Just the info I wanted, Frett, thank you! I hope the glass shows up intact when my game gets delivered but I've got a bad feeling...

BTW, I like your YT videos. It's kind of neat seeing and hearing the results of boards from different game titles being demonstrated in your MGOW.

#64 5 years ago

send an email to BGresto.com too asking for a Mars inner (and outer) glass. I know they have scanned them, as i delivered a nice original to them for this. If enough people start asking Steve, it should get moved up in the que. I'm not sure how he's handing the mirroring though.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

BTW, I like your YT videos. It's kind of neat seeing and hearing the results of boards from different game titles being demonstrated in your MGOW.

That MARS has seen more boards in it than any other machine around.
Every gottlieb board that goes out the door is tested in this machine.
(And still has another original inner b. glass in perfect condition).

Tomorrow or Wednesday I should have a replica of an inner glass.
For the mirror effect I am going to apply (30%) privacy mirror film to the entire front.
Man, did I waste a bunch of money to get there.
I just want those MARS's stopped from being parted out, it's a great game with even better sounds.
Will post pics. here soon. Sorry for all the delays but I never quit until it is right!!!

#66 5 years ago

Lets see some pics man...of your glass mounting and such.

Our mars is coming back from restoration soon. Whole 9 yards, gonna be pretty epic. Ill post a ton of pics and maybe a video.

Even consider changing this to the MGOW club?

#67 5 years ago

It's coming up and work is in progress.
I really would like to see your MARS GoW after restoration. Mine is going up soon too for full playfield and cabinet restoration.
Hang in here; be back soon.
BTW; You're right. This should be a MARS GOW club.
It's a damn nice machine in my opinion.

#68 5 years ago

IMG_20140725_140206_322.jpg

IMG_20140725_140222_313.jpg MARS God of War Inner Back Glass 04.jpg MARS God of War Inner Back Glass 05.jpg MARS God of War Inner Back Glass 09.jpg MARS God of War Inner Back Glass 12.jpg MARS God of War Inner Back Glass 06.jpg MARS God of War Inner Back Glass 07.jpg
#69 5 years ago

All pictures are from the reproduction, except for 1.

As of now I manually applied the privacy mirror film, the next ones will be done at the printing shop.
Then all looks perfect.
So far this is a very acceptable inner back glass.
I will do between 5 to 10 glasses so let me know when interested.
Your wait will be between 1 - 2 weeks before arriving at your door.
Prices are $249 for a standard version, and $299 when the mirror film is applied.
Shipping within USA is between $40 - $60, depending on your location.
Send me a PM here in pinside to sign up and / or when having any other questions.

I'm gonna play this machine with the repro in it for a while.
THIS IS THE MARS GOW CLUB!!!!!

#70 5 years ago

Can someone please show a picture of what the J-moulding plastic looks like?
I have seen a lot of pictures showing a mounted inner glas, but not clearly what the solution is.
For me getting some minor plastic from overseas is very expensive.
It will show me what to look for.

Too bad I haven't got a Black Hole or Haunted House.
Then I can really see what you all are talking about.

#71 5 years ago

Nice progress on the repro inner glass, Fretto. I'm still awaiting the arrival of my game to find out whether or not the glass has survived.

BTW, an awesome callout by Todd during the Raven, Special Force and Gold Wings video (at 3:30)!

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

BTW, an awesome callout by Todd during the Raven, Special Force and Gold Wings video (at 3:30)!

Thanks so much for the info!!!
I like TNT; they got the best videos and always the games I would like to have myself!

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Can someone please show a picture of what the J-moulding plastic looks like?
I have seen a lot of pictures showing a mounted inner glas, but not clearly what the solution is.
For me getting some minor plastic from overseas is very expensive.
It will show me what to look for.
Too bad I haven't got a Black Hole or Haunted House.
Then I can really see what you all are talking about.

Hee Hoekse Waard; go back 1 page and there's all these pictures posted of J-molding with MARS innerglasses and all.
Groeten aan Oud-Beijerland; daar ben ik opgegroeid.
Stuur me een email met je adres en ik stuur je gratis een setje j-plastics op.

Mazzel waar je woont want nu is het ineens gratis!!

Sorry folks, 'Inkochnito' lives where I grew up.

#74 5 years ago

It's a small world after all.....
Thanks Fretto.
En de groeten terug natuurlijk.
PM verstuurd.

I meant an image without the backglass so you can see how it all fits.
Or the backglass half in the moulding strips.
I can't realy make out how it all works right now.

Nice work on the reproduction backglass by the way.

#75 5 years ago

Fretto, Todd makes mention of you again in a new video (Black Hole) and he also talks about your new inner backglass project.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

Fretto, Todd makes mention of you again in a new video (Black Hole) and he also talks about your new inner backglass project.
ยป YouTube video

Thanks again, I need to start making more time to look around.
So busy lately with the other pinball stuff.
Thanks again for reminding, I will watch!!

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

It's a small world after all.....
Thanks Fretto.
En de groeten terug natuurlijk.
PM verstuurd.
Nice work on the reproduction backglass by the way.

I will get back with you shortly; crazy busy weekend just behind me.
Thanks for your message; I'm working on it.

Fred

#78 5 years ago

Here are a couple teaser pics. The machine looks GREAT. All new rottendog boards, playfield was touched up and clearcoated, the cabinet was completely repainted and clear coated. All retro style LEDS (warm white throughout, red around backglass). Played it a few times too, looks and plays great. I was bringing them the backglasses to make new clips to hold them in. We are supposed to pick it up this week.

IMG_6410.JPG
IMG_6409.JPG

#79 5 years ago

...... and a black cabinet!!!
That's just great; looking my butt off for years for one of those.

So you replaced all boards; except for the sound speech board.
I got new ones of those available with a new integrated amplifier which sounds so much better than the old design.
Just saying; if time's there...... I still have them for sale.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Fretto1:

...... and a black cabinet!!!
That's just great; looking my butt off for years for one of those.
So you replaced all boards; except for the sound speech board.
I got new ones of those available with a new integrated amplifier which sounds so much better than the old design.
Just saying; if time's there...... I still have them for sale.

Ya, its an original too, I didnt just have him paint it black.

Oh, do you? I will see how it plays once we get it and see if we want to go with the new speech board, thanks for the offer.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Here are a couple teaser pics. The machine looks GREAT. All new rottendog boards, playfield was touched up and clearcoated, the cabinet was completely repainted and clear coated. All retro style LEDS (warm white throughout, red around backglass). Played it a few times too, looks and plays great. I was bringing them the backglasses to make new clips to hold them in. We are supposed to pick it up this week.

Very nice! I'd like to see how the new clips are done too.

#82 5 years ago

Attack, attack..................... HyperForce 5!!!!
MARS Fronts.jpg

MARS Backs.jpg
#83 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

That cabinet is SO MUCH BETTER than the red cab. I have no idea why they didn't just make all of them black.

#84 5 years ago

They were supposed to be black but for some odd reason, Gottlieb changed their minds. Usually, it's because an error was found and had to be corrected (although I couldn't see an error in either the red or black cabinet games I've owned). If you look at the flyer, it's a black cabinet you'll see (Gottlieb did the same thing with Time Line, first it was blue, then it was black). I'm lucky to have located a nice black cabinet MGoW a long time ago and install a NOS playfield and plastic set in it.

As a side note, if you happen to have a good center plastic over your drop targets, you may want to protect it from getting damaged. Most of the MGoW's I've come across through the years had broken plastic there. I made a protector that I'm thinking about asking Cliffy produce and sell to us collectors if there is enough interest. Cliffy IS the protector king, he should be helping us Gottlieb guys too. See below pics.

Steve

Quoted from dothedoo:

That cabinet is SO MUCH BETTER than the red cab. I have no idea why they didn't just make all of them black.

WP_001708.jpg WP_001701.jpg WP_001705.jpg WP_001706.jpg
#85 5 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

As a side note, if you happen to have a good center plastic over your drop targets, you may want to protect it from getting damaged. Most of the MGoW's I've come across through the years had broken plastic there. I made a protector that I'm thinking about asking Cliffy produce and sell to us collectors if there is enough interest. Cliffy IS the protector king, he should be helping us Gottlieb guys too. See below pics.
Steve

Good stuff - looks very professional! I made mine out of a piece of Lexan.
IMG_0001.jpg

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Fretto1:

Attack, attack..................... HyperForce 5!!!!

You are the man, Fretto! That's an awesome effort. Did you end up making any changes from the prototype?

Also, sign me up for a set of the mounting guides you're talking about. I'm not planning on putting my original glass back in with those damn clips.

#87 5 years ago

I tried plastic first but I must have used the wrong kind, it transferred light to the edge and was kind of an added distraction from the original art in my eyes. Did you do the mylar on your game? It looks like it was done nice and clean, not like factory stuff.

Steve

Quoted from hootowls:

Good stuff - looks very professional! I made mine out of a piece of Lexan.

#88 5 years ago

For the people that want to 'channel' (J-Mold) their inner back glass:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=213&pg=1

There's all you need to modify your MARS swing door so it holds the back glass safely.
When using the acrylic replacement glass; keep using the clips. You will laugh and not be scared anymore to break it this time.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I tried plastic first but I must have used the wrong kind, it transferred light to the edge and was kind of an added distraction from the original art in my eyes.
Steve

Is it metal or some sort? Just wondering.
If it is metal, it might wear on the pinballs itself when hitting it and in the end wear your playfield out by abrasive pinballs.
I can be wrong since I really have no clue what material it is but it looks great for sure

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

You are the man, Fretto! That's an awesome effort. Did you end up making any changes from the prototype?
Also, sign me up for a set of the mounting guides you're talking about. I'm not planning on putting my original glass back in with those damn clips.

Here above I placed a link to the stuff you need for putting the back glass in the outer door from back box.
For the inner back glass and modifications; it is just a job from hell, good results though.
Without the mirror film I like it myself better but then again I want that mirror effect so it is personal consideration for your game.
It is really difficult to apply 3 prints without bubbles. We used a high pressure laminator to press it all together.
Outlining the layers is a job by itself; needed a pro to get the alignment done the correct way.

But it all looks good. I tried all the glasses/acrylics and all of them passed but 1.
That one will be stripped in the front and done again.
Remember this is an emergency solution and I am hoping the guys from CPR can step up their pace a little to get the real stuff done.

By the way; the 1 that is returned to the shop is the only one left for this run.
The rest sold the same day I picked them up.
Ordered another batch, so let me know when interested.
They sell for $299 each and around $48 for shipping.
(2 glasses in 1 box was around $65 to ship within USA, just saying, it is A LOT of work).

#91 5 years ago

It's stainless steel, in the 30+ years I've been using it, it's never done what you describe. I also use stainless steel pinballs in all my games, they are a little bit more expensive but I like how they perform since they aren't prone to pitting.

Steve

Quoted from Fretto1:

Is it metal or some sort? Just wondering.
If it is metal, it might wear on the pinballs itself when hitting it and in the end wear your playfield out by abrasive pinballs.
I can be wrong since I really have no clue what material it is but it looks great for sure

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I tried plastic first but I must have used the wrong kind, it transferred light to the edge and was kind of an added distraction from the original art in my eyes. Did you do the mylar on your game? It looks like it was done nice and clean, not like factory stuff.
Steve

The most important thing is to use polycarbonate (Lexan) and not acrylic. Home Depot has 8X10 sheets on the shelf for $4. A hack saw is almost an ideal cutting tool. A combination of a file and sandpaper will clean up the edges. You can try various grits on the edges to see if that helps with the light edge issue.

I haven't touched the mylar and don't have anything with which to compare. It's a full sheet that I assumed was factory. I could take some other shots where maybe it doesn't look as good, but thanks for the comment.

#93 5 years ago

I assumed it was done by someone rather than factory. The factory mylar didn't cut around switches like I saw in your pic.

Steve

Quoted from hootowls:

I haven't touched the mylar and don't have anything with which to compare. It's a full sheet that I assumed was factory. I could take some other shots where maybe it doesn't look as good, but thanks for the comment.

#94 5 years ago

It looks like a MGoW club needs to be started for all this info that's starting to show up. Is it possible to have a mod change the title or should a new club be started in another thread and we can transfer to it? Fretto, you have that nice reproduction glass, do you want to do the honors?

Steve

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from Fretto1:

Remember this is an emergency solution and I am hoping the guys from CPR can step up their pace a little to get the real stuff done.

Whilst I would love a repro mirrored backglass, when did CPR state they were considering producing this glass? They stated quite some time back after the Target Alpha backglass that they would not being doing any Gottlieb glasses again. Has this changed?

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Whilst I would love a repro mirrored backglass, when did CPR state they were considering this glass? The stated quite some time back after the Target Alpha backglass that they would not being doing any Gottlieb glasses again. Has this changed?

I don't follow all the news with CPR but one of the artists on their website (David Fix) lists it as one of his current projects.

http://www.classicplayfields.com/people.html

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

It's stainless steel, in the 30+ years I've been using it, it's never done what you describe. I also use stainless steel pinballs in all my games, they are a little bit more expensive but I like how they perform since they aren't prone to pitting.
Steve

Thanks for that info, I had no clue there were stainless ones out there.
As far as I knew there were only the carbon steel ones.
I might change over then to the higher quality also.

For the new thread; it is a good idea to start the Mars GoW club and will probably do so.
I got all my boards replaced with new own reproductions; even the 'woody' power supply for sound speech board has now the same power supply as Black Hole and up.
And the hardobtainium interconnect cable between MPU & driver has now a regular IDE hard drive computer cable where the Ground Mods. are history. (Also due to the modified grounds on the driver board that are all tied together now).
Will look into the new thread.

#99 5 years ago

I'd like to do a quick check with you guys before placing an order with PBR for new flipper coils and rebuild kits.

The Lexan protector for the center drop target area was the first thing I did with this game as I see serious hits happening there that often result in air balls and glass contact.

I thought my flipper coils were all proper but now I see that I have the strongest coils (A-20095 - red) instead of standard coils (A-17875 - yellow). That probably explains my air balls. That and the wrong size rubber rings.

At least one of my plunger assemblies seems close to failure as well.

So standard yellow coils for the four flippers then, per the manual?

IMG_0057-434.jpg

Post edited by hootowls: Added picture

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

I'd like to do a quick check with you guys before placing an order with PBR for new flipper coils and rebuild kits.
The Lexan protector for the center drop target area was the first thing I did with this game as I see serious hits happening there that often result in air balls and glass contact.
I thought my flipper coils were all proper but now I see that I have the strongest coils (A-20095 - red) instead of standard coils (A-17875 - yellow). That probably explains my air balls. That and the wrong size rubber rings.
At least one of my plunger assemblies seems close to failure as well.
So standard yellow coils for the four flippers then, per the manual?

IMG_0057-434.jpg 227 KB

You definitely want to start a new thread for this question. (Since this thread is all about the Mars GOW Backglass).

Pete

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside