IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0057-434.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg
WP_001706.jpg
WP_001705.jpg
WP_001701.jpg
WP_001708.jpg
MARS Backs.jpg
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Hi, I'm looking to pick up a backglass for a friend who has a Mars, God of War. A repairman apparently dropped and broke the backglass and they seem to be extremely hard to find. Anyone have one around here or know where to get one?

Thanks,

Derek

#2 10 years ago

Good luck with your search. A lot of these glasses were broken due to Gottlieb's crappy clip design at the bottom edge.

#3 10 years ago

IIRC someone did make some repro translites of these a few years ago. Search RGP

#4 10 years ago

Yep, there are lots of front glasses but no inner glass for MGOW. I have a friend who has the black version cabinet who is missing the inner backglass and is buying a complete machine that he will be parting out to obtain the inner glass. So that makes for another surplus front glass.

Perhaps you will have better success in finding the inner glass. Maybe somebody will make a translite version to add to a clear glass that will solve the problem for many folks.

#5 10 years ago

I have both the backglasses and they are on lock down. The machine is out for restore and the guy didnt even want them he was so scared. I have on my list for the restore "better clipping system for backglass"...we'll see what he comes up with.

#6 10 years ago

Largely unobtanium - though CPR/Doc Pinball has had it listed as a project for quite sometime.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I have both the backglasses and they are on lock down. The machine is out for restore and the guy didnt even want them he was so scared. I have on my list for the restore "better clipping system for backglass"...we'll see what he comes up with.

on my MGOW i switched the glass clips over to the style used on black hole, it held the glass much better.

#8 10 years ago

I did too, it was easy to do since I had an extra Volcano glass frame. You can just make out the inner glass installed in the pic. My 7 digit conversion wasn't completed either.

Steve

Quoted from boilerman:

on my MGOW i switched the glass clips over to the style used on black hole, it held the glass much better.

WP_001742.jpgWP_001742.jpg

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Yep, there are lots of front glasses but no inner glass for MGOW.

The friend that has it is not pinball savvy. She told me that the guy broke the backglass but the "main board" needs replaced (I think maybe she was talking about the lightboard in the backbox? I'm not familiar with how those Gottliebs are set up). She told me, "Yeah, I can order the main board but if you could find the backglass that would be great" so if there are two pieces I guess I need to find out exactly what she is looking for.

#10 10 years ago

Hate to say it but, "faget aboud it". I too had to buy a second machine.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

That's what I did to my MGOW as well. Very scary making sure the bg lines up correctly with the head knowing that a broken glass was irreplaceable.

Gottlieb made some great engineering designs over the years but hose clips weren't one of them!

#12 10 years ago

Would be possible to mount the inner glass to the door the same as Volcano?

#13 10 years ago

So it appears she is looking for the inner backglass which I am assuming is the one that is hard to obtain. Is this correct?

Thanks!

#14 10 years ago

yup thats hard to find i have a mgow that i well be getting soon and im so worried about when its shipped because of the back glass :{

#15 10 years ago

I have a very easy way to change that clip system and it costs $2, and takes 20 minutes, but i cant get to it till a couple of days to show you guys some pics..

It is now near impossible to drop the glass and it is supported well and can NOT move...

I promise i will get the pics up in a day or 2...

The stock gottlieb clips are in the landfill now

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Would be possible to mount the inner glass to the door the same as Volcano?

Yep, I've had a couple MGOW's and did this with my first one.

Unfortunately I agree with everyone else, the inner glass is impossible to find without being attached to a whole machine.

I've heard about remakes for years but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe licensing issues? Who knows.

How about contacting someone like Shay with a group for a preorder if he'll do it? He does great work AND does Gottlieb backglasses so I would assume he could get permission.

3 weeks later
#17 10 years ago

I have some hi-res scans from back and front of inner MGOW back glass.
I am going to print it on vinyl and integrate the green scoring windows.
The finish on the front will be privacy film that looks somewhat like a mirror.
This will probably the best option to replace that scarce back glass.
The Gottlieb TM is removed from the scan so there will be no (C) issues, I hope.
I will have poly carbonate and tempered glass versions.
I'm about there; will post pictures of end result.
Pricing, not sure yet.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Fretto1:

The Gottlieb TM is removed from the scan so there will be no (C) issues, I hope.

If it was that simple, there would be repro Gottlieb artwork all over the place.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

If it was that simple, there would be repro Gottlieb artwork all over the place.

No one said it was simple, even far from that.
If I have to mention my correspondence with Mr. Fesjian from Mondial Group
then we could go on and on. That's not my intent.
Everything on my end that needed to be done has been done.
It's not something achieved in a week but took me years of hard work.
Whatever proto type comes from my hands, either circuit boards or art repro's,
I always offer them for review to the person(s) who are the rightful owners of the GTB Trademark.
And let me tell you, they are by far not the worst people to deal with, in fact they are awesome once you get to know them.
It's the people on the side lines who are driving me more crazy at times.
No, for sure it is not simple but for the love of pinball I will keep pushing until the product is out there.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Fretto1:

I will have poly carbonate and tempered glass versions.
I'm about there; will post pictures of end result.
Pricing, not sure yet.

I'm definitely in for one.

I talked to Doc at expo a few years back and asked about his MGOW backglass project - "Soon." was the response so take that as you will. CPR has the process to do mirroring now, but I'm not sure if they can get past the licensing or if they even feel it's a large enough seller. Let's face it, many MGOW were trashed *because* of the missing glass. How many survivors are out there with missing glass, waiting for something to finally be produced? I know of one - mine.

#21 10 years ago

Fred does top notch boards so I'm sure the back glass we'll be too

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from cpu-slave:

I'm definitely in for one.
I talked to Doc at expo a few years back and asked about his MGOW backglass project - "Soon." was the response so take that as you will. CPR has the process to do mirroring now, but I'm not sure if they can get past the licensing or if they even feel it's a large enough seller.

You are very correct. My hopes were also aimed at CPR, I know they can get it done.
My first Mars had a glass that exploded just by opening the back box.
I had a repro replacement with that black background, not bad, for sure better than that empty spot.
Someone in CA worked hard on it but decided to let it go.
The files were sent to me and after some work this actually came really close to the original.
The mirroring was just not there but other than that it is a very decent replacement.
Next week I am planning to get the files printed on 26'' by 26'' vinyl sheets.
All scans, back and front, have been lined up against each other, only skill needed is to get the vinyl perfectly on the glass or polycarbonate.
I want to try both materials because shipping polycarbonate is less tricky than shipping that fragile glass.

BTW, I found an original inner glass years ago for $400. (Lucky me).
At the time EBayer's could see the bidders identities and not 3 minutes after auction closed I had persons mailing me they would pay up to $800(!) for the glass.
But I will never let it go since MARS GOW is my favorite GTB pin.

The attached picture shows the repro I bought at the time (2003) and didn't have the back scan present.
Now that image is available and the front has a privacy film cover to get some of the mirror effect on to it.
New green display windows will be integrated.
I am anxious but for sure will have some try-outs posted here soon.
And yes, I am selling them since Gottlieb had a very crappy design to hold that glass secure in the first place.
I resent them for that and the least thing they can do or allow is to set the record straight by having these items reproduced and replaced.

Mars01.jpgMars01.jpg

#23 10 years ago

If these ever get reproduced I'd be in for one. I used the artwork and made an acrylic one using mirrored vinyl and clear vinyl (printed myself after cleaning up the artwork). I need to add the green score windows, but wasn't sure at the time if it had them. Here's a pic showing what's possible.

It's not perfect, but looks nice and it's survived falling out of my machine twice now Most everyone that has come over has never noticed it was a replacement and have commented how nice the backglass is. I'm pretty happy.

Greg

IMG_0484.JPGIMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0483.JPGIMG_0483.JPG

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Fretto1:

No one said it was simple, even far from that.

Sorry if you found my comment offensive. Based on your post, I had no idea that this was a reproduction that was done with permission through the proper license channels. To me your comment read as a simple statement that removing the TM made things okay. My point is that this in no way makes it okay. You've since provided more information that proves my point. Thanks for clarifying. If you stated upfront that this was an approved reproduction, I never would have commented from the peanut gallery.

#25 10 years ago

I'd like to see pics of peoples' improved clip system.. post 'em when you can.. you're making me afraid to mess with my MGOW.. lol

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I'd like to see pics of peoples' improved clip system.. post 'em when you can.. you're making me afraid to mess with my MGOW.. lol

THIS.

#27 10 years ago

Mine has only mirror left (as most) so most any decent repro would be welcome. I didn't put it back in since I still have to swap the clips. Anyone have part #s?

I think the black background one would look great on an early black cab game.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I used some plastic channels that came from a parted out Black Hole. Works great. Was a bit scary lining everything up but its' all good now. I don't worry about getting into the backbox like I did before. Those clips were the worst thing Gottlieb ever designed...

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Sorry if you found my comment offensive. Based on your post, I had no idea that this was a reproduction that was done with permission through the proper license channels.

No problem at all; I wasn't referring to you btw. No worries.
What I meant to say is when going thru the channels, it is easier to work with the Trademark owner than the person(s) holding the license(s) to manufacture.
That always baffled me, very frustrating.
Every time an inner glass brakes, you can count on it there will be another machine up for parting out.
I am so against that if the reasoning can be prevented by reproducing the stinkin' items needed to keep 'em around.
What good is a license when the machines are going up in parts.
Anyway; the ones I am going to try are -and will be proto types.
There will be no intend to mass reproduce, as with all the stuff I rebuilt for my own machines.
I always have very small runs of items, simply because I don't have the funds to 'go big'.
All the earnings collected are to get new pinball parts; and it is not a lot of dough that comes in.
As long as I can break even I will keep doing it, for the fun I have with pinballs.
Cheers mate, have a great weekend.

2 weeks later
#30 10 years ago

Ok guys; keep your fingers crossed.
This weekend I will assemble the inner glass proto type.
Below are the vinyl prints I just picked up.
I decided to go a totally different route and used different base materials.
Biggest challenge for now are the green display windows.
Final treatment will be the application of a mirror film to the front.
Might be easy or a challenge from hell, probably a little bit of both.

MARS INSIDE PRINTS.jpgMARS INSIDE PRINTS.jpg

#31 10 years ago

i have one thats not in great shape , i was hanging onto it as years ago i needed one and it was almost impossible to find , im going to the kalamazoo show and could bring it there for $100.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

i have one thats not in great shape , i was hanging onto it as years ago i needed one and it was almost impossible to find.

Dave ???

How's it going man!? I bought my MARS from you back in 2003.
Great machine. Totally revamped it; looks brand new now.
I still have it and will never get rid of it; inserted a near mint playfield also.
I found a near perfect inner glass and bought it because mine exploded by just opening the back box at the time.
Well, good to hear from you again.
I got all new boards for GTB system 80.
So, if you ever need those ..........

#33 10 years ago

I think we need to start a club for owners of MGOW without inner glass. I'm in.

#34 10 years ago

Hoping this comes together, I really need a backglass for my game.

#35 10 years ago

You should just change this to "MGOW CLUB"

#36 10 years ago

MARS Exploded Glass.JPGMARS Exploded Glass.JPG
So, the picture here I took about 5 minutes after receiving the game in 2003....
look familiar????????????????
That hurt!!!!

#37 10 years ago

YIKES!!!

On another note, I have a friends MGOW going out for restoration tomorrow. Will post pics when complete.

1 week later
#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Fretto1:

So, the picture here I took about 5 minutes after receiving the game in 2003....
look familiar????????????????
That hurt!!!!

MARS Exploded Glass.JPG 120 KB

And that is why I got rid of those damn stupid clips ASAP and mounted the backglass the same way as Black Hole.

2 weeks later
#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Fretto1:

Ok guys; keep your fingers crossed.
This weekend I will assemble the inner glass proto type.
Below are the vinyl prints I just picked up.
I decided to go a totally different route and used different base materials.
Biggest challenge for now are the green display windows.
Final treatment will be the application of a mirror film to the front.
Might be easy or a challenge from hell, probably a little bit of both.

Any news?

#40 9 years ago

For those of you looking for a good inner glass, I just found one on eBay. Only $1300 - but includes a lot of other good parts

www.ebay.com/itm/261476627471

A bit rich for my blood since I already have the other parts in working order. Any news on the repro work discussed above?

#41 9 years ago

Anyone have some pictures of the "upgrade" for mounting the inner glass?
I've just got a nice Mars machine, complete with inner glass in very good condition.

#42 9 years ago

I have a friends machine out for restoration. i will post whatever they come up with, but i asked for a better glass holder. Also asked for a molex disconnect from backbox to cabinet so i dont have to remove board connectors when i move it...we will see. EXCITED!

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Anyone have some pictures of the "upgrade" for mounting the inner glass?
I've just got a nice Mars machine, complete with inner glass in very good condition.

I used the backglass mounts from a parted out Black Hole. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

#44 9 years ago

Same here except I used the mounts from a Volcano that someone parted out.

Steve

Quoted from woz:

I used the backglass mounts from a parted out Black Hole. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

Any news on the repro work discussed above?

Yes, the scans done on vinyl look great but not great enough.
I want a better contrast so we're trying it on sticker material which is also thicker than vinyl.
The green display windows weren't an issue, that looks awesome in fact.
When applying the vinyl there was somewhat too much stretch when applying it.
But let me tell you with that backside print applied it makes a good and acceptable inner back glass.
I already bought the shipping boxes where it fits in beautifully.
All will made from acrylic sheets.
Only on custom orders I will use tempered glass. (They will run about $50 more + $25 more for shipping, that stuff is HEAVY, with plexiglass not as much).
I know, I know, it took a long time but all I want is those glasses to be more than acceptable.
Looks like the first ones will go for around $250, shipping is included.
Cost break down:
the materials are about $50 (Acryllic, green display window material, privacy/mirror film and applying/match up this stuff)
the printing about $80 for back and front print.
Shipping is about $40 - $50 (ONLY in USA; outside USA there will be, of course, a major extra charge for the size of that crazy shipping box).
Leaves about $70 for my time to drive around town, package material, packaging it and drag it to a shipping location.
I had a total of $300 in mind but $250 is more reasonable.
THIS APPLIES ONLY FOR THE 1st ONES.
If it turns out shipping is more then of course there will be a higher charge.
(Quantities are limited.)
I will post pictures when I got some good ones ready to go and when I think they are worth posting.
Meanwhile I hope CPR comes out with their versions because this project is/was a major pain in the butt and I wasted/lost a lot of time and finances. (No complaints, just a FYI).

Be back soon

#46 9 years ago

Yesterday I just picked up a big batch of populated playfields... turns out I have 2 Mars God of War playfields in the batch. If anybody is looking for something, let me know - I may be able to help you out.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from dmklunk:

Hi, I'm looking to pick up a backglass for a friend who has a Mars, God of War. A repairman apparently dropped and broke the backglass and they seem to be extremely hard to find. Anyone have one around here or know where to get one?
Thanks,
Derek

HI, I have this backglass in good used condition that I am willing to sell. Shipping is an issue but if you can arrange to have it picked up in St. Louis, MO I would sell it. I am not sure where the market is on these but I know what I paid over 5 years ago. Please email me directly.

#48 9 years ago

Here are some pics of the backglass mounting clips I used from BH on my MGOW. Sorry about the poor quality but I think you get the idea.

I don't even worry now about opening up the backbox now (well just a little!). With those original horrendous clips I would break out into a nervous sweat every time I had to remove the glass.

IMG_20140522_213424254.jpgIMG_20140522_213424254.jpg IMG_20140522_213323990.jpgIMG_20140522_213323990.jpg IMG_20140522_213315272.jpgIMG_20140522_213315272.jpg
#49 9 years ago

If anybody needs it I have the front glass but it is missing all of the artwork on it so it just has the frosted outline. It was left over from a MGOW 2 machine into 1 restoration (one was missing the inner glass).

Free for pick up in Phoenix, AZ.

#50 9 years ago

I just saw a backglass on Craigslist, DC or Baltimore. They wanted 400- they also had a BH one for the
same price.

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-mars-god-of-war-backglass/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.