• 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bigdaddy07
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Sorry I couldn't Help Myself.

But in case Gary Stern is Drinking an adult beverage and reading this:

I don't care if it's the new system or White Star.

But color changing LED's on the playfield would bring this game to another level

Oh, and if one came out I would Definitely buy one, just sold a few pins and now have the cash in case that matters.

#2 4 years ago

I will be happy for anybody that gets VE's of any title but did we really need another thread?

#3 4 years ago

Me too! I would bet that everything produced in their new location will have the new system.

#4 4 years ago

I already have LOTR, but I'd likely buy VE. So yes please, make it happen!

#6 4 years ago

As a LOTR owner, I support this post for VE.

#7 4 years ago

Already own one too but here's what would make me want to upgrade to a VE:
- Spike architecture
- Hi-res silkscreen cabinet artworks
- Hi-res playfield artworks with extra clearcoat
- Improved sound quality
- Color DMD
- LEDs (I guess there's a way to make them look nice )
- Character figures included (as opposed to LE)
- "Legit" shaker support (as in LE)
- LE-style translite with *no* Dickbeard

I guess the price tag would be salty but that would be awesome!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from wspy:

- Spike architecture
- Improved sound quality
- Color DMD

I have an original run with LEDs that look nice, figures, legit shaker (updated my rom and pal) and can buy a color dmd. So is the spike system, hi res art, and sound worth it.....unlikely but I'll be happy for those who get it.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I have an original run with LEDs that look nice, figures, legit shaker (updated my rom and pal) and can buy a color dmd. So is the spike system, hi res art, and sound worth it.....unlikely but I'll be happy for those who get it.

Indeed. Depends on the price tag I guess...

#10 4 years ago

New system lotr would be awesome. If you could add an lcd screen easely.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

But color changing LED's on the playfield would bring this game to another level

No. It's perfect the way it is. You don't want LotR to look like a rainbow flashy Japanese pachinko machine.

The only improvements that could be made are with the cab decals and maybe the sound.

The playfield is one of the most beautiful ones Stern has made. Big part of that comes from the slightly fuzzy photoshop artwork. If it's razor sharp (like on newer Sterns) it would look even more "photoshopped" and wouldn't blend into the drawn artwork as well as it does now.

Quoted from wspy:

- Spike architecture
- Improved sound quality
- Color DMD

How is the spike architecture an improvement? What are the advantages for you?
ColorDMD is available for the old LotR, it'll take time until it will be available for Spike.
Character figures are included - on the original game.
Legit shaker support is no problem with any original.
The LE translite is ugly as hell when the pin is turned on, the original is perfect.

I don't have a problem with a LotR VE, just don't see the need or the advantages that a new version would bring.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

How is the spike architecture an improvement? What are the advantages for you?

Audio. If LOTR had remastered audio - stereo "CD" quality, clear voices, "real" orchestrated music...it would be amazing. Suckers like me who have the game would have to rebuy the game lol

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Audio. If LOTR had remastered audio - stereo "CD" quality, clear voices, "real" orchestrated music...it would be amazing. Suckers like me who have the game would have to rebuy the game lol

Agreed, sound is the one and only main feature that needs improvement. Didn't connect that directly to the Spike system up to now.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Isn't that one of the updates for MMR? The sound is supposedly improved? I'm curious if the people that have played them have noticed the difference.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I somewhat agree on the audio but it is not as bad as some make it out to be. My ears have been to too many concerts but if you replace the stock speakers you can improve the sound using a 100k 1/4 watt pot on R106 (back box speakers) and if you're anal another one also on R110 (Cab speaker). The issue is the DAC works best when the signal level is high and gets static/crackly when the level is low. I did some tests and even like using this pot adjustment better then using a L-PAD system like Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro. I do not notice much of a difference from my other modern Sterns.

#16 4 years ago

I would be in for one as well! I really hope they do it. I think its a no brainer

#17 4 years ago

I think Tron and LOTR are inevitable. Its really just a matter of when, what enhancements will be included, and how much will they cost.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I somewhat agree on the audio but it is not as bad as some make it out to be. My ears have been to too many concerts but if you replace the stock speakers you can improve the sound using a 100k 1/4 watt pot on R106 (back box speakers) and if you're anal another one also on R110 (Cab speaker). The issue is the DAC works best when the signal level is high and gets static/crackly when the level is low. I did some tests and even like using this pot adjustment better then using a L-PAD system like Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro. I do not notice much of a difference from my other modern Sterns.

Don't get me wrong, I like LOTR's audio for what it is...it's the best sounding Whitestar game...but no amount of tweaking will improve the source - it's just not even close to Williams DCS, WPC'95 or SAM in terms of music and sample clarity. Remastering it would be night and day difference.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Don't get me wrong, I like LOTR's audio for what it is...it's the best sounding Whitestar game...but no amount of tweaking will improve the source - it's just not even close to Williams DCS, WPC'95 or SAM in terms of music and sample clarity. Remastering it would be night and day difference.

I don't dispute a remaster making a difference but I don't think I ever once nailed a ring shot and heard the spinner sound and went oooooooo if only that was remastered on SAM or spike this would sound sooooo much better

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I think Tron and LOTR are inevitable. Its really just a matter of when, what enhancements will be included, and how much will they cost.

I don't think LOTR is inevitable. Personally I think it will never happen.

-Demand might not be what you think for LOTR, especially since so many exist.
-A handful of Pinside collectors might want them, but operators don't....they had them already or still have them
-Relicensing might be super expensive
-Making the game better (porting to Spike, remastered sound) costs money and time
-They made an LE already...slippery slope for marketing. If you make a Vault that's superior in every way to the LE, that LE essentially becomes worthless - that ill will causes a ripple effect, possibly killing Stern's lucrative LE sales.

#21 4 years ago

The way my game is modded up there is no way I would buy a new one. But I love this game and the thought of other folks having this much fun is a total win!

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I don't dispute a remaster making a difference but I don't think I ever once nailed a ring shot and heard the spinner sound and went oooooooo if only that was remastered on SAM or spike this would sound sooooo much better

But crystal clear voices would sound so much better vs. the tinny poor samples. Real orchestrated music would sound so much better than the MIDI-ish Sega Genesis-sounding music.

#23 4 years ago

Screw VEs. Stern, spend your time making your new games the best they can be and catching up on code backlogs. Are they really so out of ideas that they need to make VEs? Isn't the better business model to make good new games and sell a ton of em? As compared to saturating the market with games that are not even 10 years out from their original production?

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

But crystal clear voices would sound so much better vs. the tinny poor samples. Real orchestrated music would sound so much better than the MIDI-ish Sega Genesis-sounding music.

I hear you as it meets my bare minimums once doing my recommendation with the pots and removing the crackle from it.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

Screw VEs. Stern, spend your time making your new games the best they can be and catching up on code backlogs. Are they really so out of ideas that they need to make VEs? Isn't the better business model to make good new games and sell a ton of em? As compared to saturating the market with games that are not even 10 years out from their original production?

I just posted this in another thread. It's irrelevant. They'd be making the same amount of new games each year regardless of putting old games back on the line.

New games aren't guaranteed to sell. Games with good reputations and demand will definitely sell. It's a smart business decision. Keeps the factory moving and employees paid. Lessens risk if new games flop.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

I don't have a problem with a LotR VE, just don't see the need or the advantages that a new version would bring.

A couple of dedicated fans blowing at the flipper coils would provide a material improvement to gameplay. Water-cooled coils would be even better.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

The way my game is modded up there is no way I would buy a new one. But I love this game and the thought of other folks having this much fun is a total win!

Exact same position I'm in.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside