Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160924_143728 (resized).jpg
20160924_143713 (resized).jpg
IMG_2070 (resized).jpg
IMG_2069 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160714_153335189 (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 7 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Parts - wanted

WTB Large Sega DMD

Added: 2016-09-19 17:45:48 UTC • Ended: November 1st, 2016

Price

Wanted

Looking for a large Sega DMD display. Does anyone have one for sale?
Also wondering what my other options are.

Item photos

No images have been added to this ad listing yet.

No photos have been uploaded for this ad.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are Butch2099's market stats.

bronze Seller Level

Butch2099 has the Pinside Bronze seller level!

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to Butch2099's stats page

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Lehigh Valley, PA, US

#2 7 years ago

Might want to try contacting Chris at colorDMD. I thought my LCD colorDMD had a setting for widescreen.

#3 7 years ago

I wasn't sure what all my options were. Will color DMD work in a Batman Forever? I know the big DMD isn't as hard to get anymore & there are substitutes, but I haven't followed what they are..

#4 7 years ago

I looked at a Baywatch a while back with a blown DMD and didn't buy because of the issues with these DMDs. The original DMD is getting hard to find and apparently they don't last very long. The last large Sega DMD I saw sold on ebay for $400. Here is what I found: (1) if it's a vishay they may fix it, (2) find a used one but it may not last long, (3) buy new thru mouser/digikey but wait times were quoted 6-12months, and the best option (4) DIY LCD display using the dr extender.

I picked up a couple colorDMD LCD display and remember seeing a widescreen setting in the menu. I'm not even sure if it's even the correct size but I thought the colorDMD (w/o) color might be a solution.

Good luck with your search.

#5 7 years ago

I just sold a working. Sega dmd for a MSF,large size,used are hard to find,it sold fast. I upgraded mine to a dmd extender,you can go to Dr Pinball,has a site,to look at the instructions to see if you want to do it. Total cost was about $250,in color,you build it with parts off of eBay. There is also a thread on the forum,dmd extender. It is very nice, I sure do like mine.Check it out.

#6 7 years ago

DMD extender looks nice on the large Sega's. You can customize the pallette to your liking.

IMG_20160714_153335189 (resized).jpgIMG_20160714_153335189 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

WS ColorDMD setting = White Star board set not wide screen.
Currently, ColorDMD is.not supporting this size display.

#9 7 years ago

Looks like they are starting to build these now.

How hard is it to do the DMD extender? What's the total cost & is it just 1 color?

#10 7 years ago

I have two large dmd's - not sure if they work or not and I have no way to test them.

#11 7 years ago

Replacement DMD from Vishay costs $700.

I really wish Color DMD would make their hardware work with Batman Forever...even if all it produces is the orange color.

#12 7 years ago

If the one in your game is a Vishay/Dale they are about $180 to get a new Glass installed (+ shipping to Vishay & back to you).
If it's a Babcock you're out of luck.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Turtle:

The original DMD is getting hard to find and apparently they don't last very long.

Calling BS on that. They last as long as a normal size dmd from experience. Most of the ones I have handled have been original to the machine.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Turtle:

Calling BS on that. They last as long as a normal size dmd from experience. Most of the ones I have handled have been original to the machine.

This information came from 2 separate dealers both whom have been in the business for a long time. Also this dmd is a bit different, it does power rectification on the PCB using several electrolytic caps. So there will be extra heat and the caps will degrade over time.

#15 7 years ago

My display came in today. Works great. My power supply was rebuilt last year, so I should be good for a long while.

IMG_2069 (resized).jpgIMG_2069 (resized).jpg

IMG_2070 (resized).jpgIMG_2070 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

If the one in your game is a Vishay/Dale they are about $180 to get a new Glass installed (+ shipping to Vishay & back to you).
If it's a Babcock you're out of luck.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look

#17 7 years ago

Any decisions on which direction you're going?

#18 7 years ago

Pinballife has them in stock for $495.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Any decisions on which direction you're going?

Been caught up with a bunch of other stuff that popped up. I still have to get the machine on its legs and see which kind of display is in it. Hopefully it's the repairable one

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Pinballife has them in stock for $495.

I saw that. Not really ready to drop $500 into it yet.. unless it was color, maybe then I would be tempted

#21 7 years ago

Will they repairs a big display made by cherry?

#22 7 years ago

No. Vishay only repairs Vishay displays, no other brands.

#23 7 years ago

Got the game on it's legs today. It's a Babcock display. Doesn't really look repairable to me even if it wasn't. Got a line on a replacement. Hopefully it comes through.

#24 7 years ago

20160924_143713 (resized).jpg20160924_143713 (resized).jpg

20160924_143728 (resized).jpg20160924_143728 (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago

The Dr pinball dmd extender is a good option. There is a good thread on it if you search. Crash did a great write up with a parts list. Worked perfect on my MSF.

#26 7 years ago

Rob from Rockland Pinball said he has a replacement for me! Very nice of him to hook me up!

#27 7 years ago

What is history? Did you buy a working game and was not working once delivered or did you buy a project game?

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

What is history? Did you buy a working game and was not working once delivered or did you buy a project game?

I bought it knowing the DMD was broken. There seemed to be more options recently with replacements. I just haven't paid much attention to what they were.

#29 7 years ago

Ok good. Just times when a game gets something damaged during shipping, some forget to file an insurance claim with the shipping company.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-large-sega-dmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.