Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FxCam_1297716401905.jpg
FxCam_1297716451047.jpg
FxCam_1297716677568.jpg
image-877.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hey all -
As the title states, looking for a hardcopy original Sample/Preliminary/Prototype manual.

Thanks!
-Mike

1 week later
#2 9 years ago

Almost weekly bump!

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

this is the one I have
ebay.com link » Junk Yard Pinball Operations Service Repair Manual Arcade Machine junkyard

Yup, that's the production version. Two ways to tell -
On some games they put 'Prototype' down where yours is 'Final'. (This seems to be later WPC95 games, at least.) Other times (like my TZ, for example), manual part numbers that ended in "-A" was a preliminary or prototype manual.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

I've got a preliminary version of the manual but it's pretty much just a paper copy stapled together. That's how it came from what I know. Pic shows it next to the production manual.

image.jpg 286 KB

If you don't want it, i will take it - I'm going to scan it into PDF anyways for reference.

It's hard to tell if they're original or not - my TZ, CV, and WCS premil manuals are all different (and original) - TZ is stapled, like yours, with color sheets in it. WCS is stapled, without any divider sheets. CV is completely bound, like a 'real' manual. Go figure.

#9 9 years ago

Found, thanks guys!

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from knazzo:

Maybe there is a hint about the crane magnet in the preliminary manual?

That's one thing I'm going to be looking for. As well as any parts 'accidently' left in the list for the pop bumper/switches that was up above Spike's house.

Perfect example - back in the mid-late 90's, I was casually browsing my TZ Prelim manual, and found a reference to a 2-lamp board. I couldn't fathom where it went, so I went ahead and ordered it from my distributor. Was quoted a price of $9.34. It arrived and low and behold, it was the door flasher board! WMS actually had them *in stock*.

Since then, I try to get prelim/proto manuals of all the games I own, just for curiosity sake.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from knazzo:

I have a Junk Yard sample game with magnet core and magnet wiring installed. I hope find something in the manual about it.

Drop me a PM so I remember - it looks like the binding/staples on this are pretty bad, and *if that's the case*, I'll scan it into a PDF and will send you a copy.

#17 9 years ago

I don't know if IPDB will take files that don't appeal to everyone, as there is (admittedly) a limited number of folks that would find it useful.

Anyone that wants a copy, PM me, and I'll either mail it, or try putting it up on IPDB.

By the way - yes, in the future I plan on getting me a Junk Yard, and would like it to be Proroty or Sample with the magnet.

Edit: nevermind, since so many are interested, I'll post the URL here once it's ready. Likely be next week some time!

#18 9 years ago

Update -
Got the manual today, and looked through it quickly. Should be able to scan it tomorrow, then get it cleaned up.

Interestingly, there's not much there for those of you wanting to know about the magnet. In the manual, there's NO 'under playfield parts' image and parts listing. (In fact, the whole 'parts' section of the manual is directly copied from Tales of Arabian Nights.)

The solenoid table lists the magnet as the following:
Sol No: 14
Function: Crane Magnet
Solenoid Type: Low Power
Voltage Connection: J133-3
Drive Xister: Q46
Drive Connection: J113-7
Drive Wire Color: BRN-BLU
Part Number: 20-10197**

** The coil magnet 20-10197, is used in conjunction with a wave spring washer, part number 20-9612.

Interesting, the crane flasher is coil #22.

I notice that there's no PDF of the real manual on IPDB - so I can't do a good comparison until either I get one, or get a game.

Cheers -
Mike

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

i have the real thing in pdf .. we can swap scans. Come alone to the crossroads at exactly midnight

I'll be there.

But gimme a few days, it's a walk for me!

#21 9 years ago

Okay, it didn't take me as long as I thought it would. My scanner's auto-feeder was able to take a lot of the manual's pages, which helps scanning go a lot faster.

The covers were torn up pretty badly - I fixed up the front cover page, but the inside front and read covers weren't touched. Everything else looks good.

Note that in the charts/diagrams in Section 2 are completely and utterly wrong. Most of the info there is for TOTAN, not JY, including the switch, lamp, and solenoid matrices! However, the matrices under Game Scematics and back cover are correct. (For that version of the manual. You'll note some different solenoids, including the magnet, as well as some changed lamp functions.)

Grab a copy here -
http://tsqmadness.com/JunkYard_Prelim.pdf (~15Mb)

It's searchable as well, but does not have bookmarks, sorry. This is a 150dpi version, if anyone plans on printing this out, let me know, I have a 300dpi version that's petter suited for printing. (It's huge filesize, though.)

Post edited by Coyote: Fixed URL.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

There are a bunch of sample games floating around with magnet cores, because they had to use up the drilled playfields.
I had one, was a neat game, but after doing tons of research, there's no ROM revision that supports it known to man.
I even saw a true proto JY once, and it had the core, but no magnet.

This is true - I've been playing with the 0.3 prelim ROM on VPM, and it doesn't even recognize that sol #14 (the magnet) exists. Now, assuming you could find the bits in the code, you COULD reroute flasher operation (#22) to the magnet (#14), but all I've ever done is change some sounds, never a sol, so I'm not sure where to start on that.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from MSN22:

I have heard of one in this country that is on location in another city than me that has the magnet and it is working.
I will get some more info as I know a guy who has played it, I remember talking to him about it when I owned my JY, he was keen on getting the roms copied as it must be a prototype.

Would like to get more details..

It's *possible* that the software has a 'switch' in it - if it sees a a switch present, it could (in theory) enable certain features to use it. (Example - TZ's 4.0H, enabling the magnet catch if the upper right opto exists.)

Would need to pfutz with some stuff in a hacked VPM table to see if it can get activated.

#30 9 years ago

Yeah, that would be nice to see.

I dug through v0.3 of the ROMs, and from what I can see, there's no way the magnet is ever used, even with switches restored (i.e. TZ). So likely it's either running something custom (unlikely?), or rewired the flashed driver TO the magnet (possible..), or is running v0.1.

While digging through v0.3, I found some interesting things/strings -
"The angel is cool."
"The Devil is A Hot Dude"
"Midnight Madness" (I didn't know JY had a Midnight Madness mode..!)
"Change rules as needed. -Dammit"
"Strawberries"
"Hi Doho" (flipper code, I believe...)
"Hi Sexy" (again, flipper code, I believe..)
"Put your 3D glasses on now.." (A reference to CFTBL?)
"Payback Time"
"Stop Cows From Landing" (AFM's secret Cows Attack.. apparently it's in JY too..)
"Mother Cow Approaching" .. heh.
"This Is A Test"
Some times.. like "1 MINUTE" and "1 1/2 MINUTE"..
"Hello there lover" (not in v0.2, but in v1.2..)

1 year later
#36 7 years ago

The earliest version I have (can't remember off-hand.. P-2, I believe? Would need to check my files at home..) doesn't support the magnet. So it'd hav eto be earlier than that, at least.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-junkyard-prelimproto-manual?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.