Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140522_154826.jpg
DSC00981.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I've got a really nice Hyperball that plays fine but needs some TLC.

Anyone have an 3x working opto target board or source for new opto's?

Or a micro switch ball drain tube or two?

My speaker panel has a small crack in the H, if anyone has a minty fresh one I also may be interested if the price is right. Same for a backglass, mine is a C, I would not mind finding a better one.

Pat

#2 10 years ago

I might have a couple of optos for sale. I bought 4 of them on ebay and might only need two.

#3 10 years ago

If you can spare them. Or if you know of a good source. I found this place:

http://www.competitiveproducts.com/list.php?id=337

But I really wasn't in the mood to fire up an order for 1 opto. $4.50 part, plus $5 fee for under min order, plus shipping,, end up being a $20 part.

#4 10 years ago

John's Jukes has the Funnels w/switch, kind of pricey though 39.95 each + shipping.

http://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/hyperball-microswitch-ball-drain-assembly-p-2726

#5 10 years ago

I paid $18 for 4 of them. I have not replaced my defective ones yet. I might not need all of them. When were you looking to get some? Are you in a rush? I would hate to get rid of them only to find that I would need to get more. By the way, how is the Robocop pachinko?

#6 10 years ago

Thanks Trace. I have the tubes, I guess I should break out my meter and just clean out the micro switches.

I'm in no rush Roland, Robocop is fun, wish I could read japanese though to figure out what the buttons are for on the front. Can't seem to make them do anything.

#7 10 years ago

I bought these for mine, they worked perfect. ebay.com link: New Lot Williams Pinball Flipper 4 Pin OPTO SENSOR

p.s. love the Haunted House!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Ok you freaked me out... Had to go back and see if I posted a wrong pic or something.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

I bought these for mine, they worked perfect. Ebay link

Those are also the ones that I bought.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

I bought these for mine, they worked perfect. Ebay link

Bookmarked, will order them tomorrow thanks!

Now to come up with a better backglass. This cab is close to flawless, but someone fixed a BG scratch with a line of black paint.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Thanks Trace. I have the tubes, I guess I should break out my meter and just clean out the micro switches.
I'm in no rush Roland, Robocop is fun, wish I could read japanese though to figure out what the buttons are for on the front. Can't seem to make them do anything.

Me too. As for what it is, its a really beautiful looking machine. I will let you know about the optos. Maybe I will break out the soldering iron tomorrow and fix my board that way I can let you know if I can spare them. If I don't need them you can have them for free. I will keep you posted.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Bookmarked, will order them tomorrow thanks!
Now to come up with a better backglass. This cab is close to flawless, but someone fixed a BG scratch with a line of black paint.

Looks like I was too late with my post. LOL.

#13 10 years ago

Ther

Quoted from Patofnaud:Now to come up with a better backglass. This cab is close to flawless, but someone fixed a BG scratch with a line of black paint.

There are a few BG on ebay, not great.

#14 10 years ago

Yeah one was meh at about $169 and the other was visible flaking at $129... I'll keep spelunking.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Yeah one was meh at about $169 and the other was visible flaking at $129... I'll keep spelunking.

Yep mine is just ok also. I'm looking too.

#16 10 years ago

I guess that I got lucky. Mine has two pinholes in the paint and thats about it.

#17 10 years ago

Going to hit the sack now and watch Game of Thrones, I'll upload a few tomorrow.

#18 10 years ago

One pic.

DSC00981.JPGDSC00981.JPG

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

John has Hyperball backglasses, I had two but junked them one was close to being a window and the other one was faded and peeling.

http://www.flippers.com/back4sal.html

#20 10 years ago

That cabinet looks to be in great shape. Mine is a little beat.

#21 10 years ago

ebay.com link: Williams Hyperball Pinball Back Box Translight glass wires
GDI!!! Local shipping only, has a good BG and spare head. Definitely a 'wish I was closer'.

#22 10 years ago

Got the opto's off of Ebay, worked like a champ, I have "P" again.

I now notice that I have a lamp matrix row/column that take a few minutes to 'warm up'... Off to the prints.

#23 10 years ago

Was it hard to install the new optos?

#24 10 years ago

Tricky both in access and installation.

You have to remove the two screws on top that hold the "N O P" (or what sign is on yours), then under the playfield, 4 screws, a few cable clamps and a molex and the assembly pulls out the bottom.

Once out you have to take off one clip that holds the rod that hold the 3 targets. You can pull it out half way or and leave the targets dangling on their return springs.

Then you can remove the optic.

Here is the tricky part, the marking on the old and new have not specific orientation on them. The Original ones had writing on one side, new ones have an E+ and S+ on the caps but that don't help and you have no board reference to tie that to.

Sooooooo, seeing the opto is no more than a lamp and a diode pair, I ohm'd the old one out and found the 'diode' side and did the same for the new one and matched orientation. Either I was a technical genius, or I just got lucky as it's a coin toss on the orientation.

#25 10 years ago

Holy crap. I think that was my machine! Did you buy that from a nice guy in Massachusetts?

Seriously, I do think it was the very machine I had!

Chris

#26 10 years ago

Steven?

And yes in Mass.

#27 10 years ago

Hmmmm, no. So strange. I can almost swear that was my machine......

I sold it to a gentleman names Scott. I know he sold it, but I don't know to whom. When (if I may ask) did you purchase it?

I never saw another with he Williams decal on the coin door, which made me think it was mine. Is the W black or red on the decal?

Here is a pic of mine when it was at my house:

// Error: Image 110495 not found //

#28 10 years ago

It has got to be the one. Check out my backglass. Unless there are two Hyperballs in the world with a big scratch fixed with black enamel.

I bought it about hmmmmm a month ago maybe? I'll have to check my logs.

*edit: just checked, May 29th. It has a good home now. LED'd backglass, red leg protectors, 50 red insert leds (and about 50 more to go), warm white LED GI on Playfield, new canon tip, repaired optos, just need to fix a slow to come alive lamp matrix line or two *

// Error: Image 110522 not found //

#29 10 years ago

If you open it up and find some quality board work in there, then it's probably SilverUnicorn's...

--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#30 10 years ago

Oh and another coincidence,,,, not as close as yours but about 2 pins over...

// Error: Image 110526 not found //

#31 10 years ago

Oh and another coincidence,,,, not as close as yours but about 2 pins over...

Both bought NIB from John's Jukes in '06.
Steve played it and he likes it.

// Error: Image 110557 not found // // Error: Image 110559 not found //

#32 10 years ago

Okay, that has to be it then!

That's so crazy. I never could figure out why it was slow to get the lights working

Chris Hibler did ALOT of great work on that machine! He got it to the point where it was good enough for me to live with, and I learned to just turn it on about 10 min before I wanted to play it, LOL. He was a champion at getting it working. Is the cannon full power at startup? That was another issue. The cannon was a little weak until the machine was on for 10 minutes or so, then it was fine. Scott may have fixed that though.

I still have some extra balls somewhere if you need them. Let me know via PM and I can try to dig them up for you!

It is a great machine when everything is working!

Chris

#33 10 years ago

Still takes 10 mins for the gun to come to full power. I haven't dug deep into that issue yet but in looking at the prints nothing leaps out at me that can cause that. The circuit is pretty binary in that it's a repurposed flipper control board with 120VDC instead of 50VDC.

Nice to know the history a bit. I'll ask Steve if he got it from Scott or if someone else owned it for a bit. What years did you own it?

Chris ---> Scott --> ? ---> Steven --> Roger (AKA:Pat)

2 years later
#35 8 years ago

Well, thanks to Steve @ Mayfair and the Pintastic NE 2015 event, I finally found a reallly nice Hyperball BG in Steve's discount bin of all places!!! $50 even!!!

Now maybe someday I'll tackle the slow to come up to speed gun issue.

3 months later
#36 8 years ago

Shooter tips? There are shooter tips available? What's next, a Hyperball owners club on Pinside?......

#37 8 years ago

Don't be knocking the HB.

#38 8 years ago

No knocking friend. Been a closet member for 3 years now.

#39 8 years ago

It is an interesting beast that is certain.. Now that I have a new BG, only issue this thing will have forever is the 10 mins to play thing.

Too many other game projects to get to it..

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

Shooter tips? There are shooter tips available? What's next, a Hyperball owners club on Pinside?......

No shooter tips, it is an armature that is NLA.

#41 8 years ago

My game has just came out of a friends shop after a big rework on the lamp driver board to remove the resistors. It also got a nvram upgrade . I now have it in my garage for "testing" before it makes an appearance at the SPM. Thanks to Tracelifter, it was a miracle,he had 1 when I needed a new auger part!

#42 8 years ago

I did the same to mine, I replaced all of the transistors for mosfet and got rid of the resistors, I replaced the 5101 for an nvram and I updated the code to a version that saves high score to date.

20140522_154826.jpg20140522_154826.jpg

#43 8 years ago

I love Hyperball!

So much so that I get a little tear in my eye when Patofnaud posts pics, as that very machine used to be mine.

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-hyperball-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.