Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by wamonkey
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6080.jpg
GL_proto_1.png
GL_proto_2.png
photo (26).JPG
baclglass.jpg
grand-lizard-windows.jpg
grand-lizard-proto-cab.jpg
grand-lizard-proto-fixup-797.jpg
onecombo.jpg
Grand Lizard Backglass.jpg
GL Alt.jpg
grand lizard production.jpg
grand lizard pre.jpg

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I know it may be a long shot, but if you have a Grand Lizard proto backglass that you'd be willing to part with, or know where I can find one, send me a pm.

#2 6 years ago

It would be great if someone did a reproduction run on these. The proto is so much better than the art they settled on in my opinion, changes the whole look of the game.

#3 6 years ago

I wholeheartedly agree! Any volunteers out there? As long as I'm dreaming, it would be really great if a repro of the proto backglass could somehow incorporate the display positions for the production game. I would be content to move the displays if necessary but would rather not have to.

#4 6 years ago

Good point, I forgot that the positions were different.

I'm going to make an offer on my buddy's GL today, thanks for planting the bug

#5 6 years ago

I'm really enjoying mine. Hope you get it!

#6 6 years ago

I should, he doesn't even have it set up and it's in pretty good shape. Lizards and monkeys, how can you go wrong?

#7 6 years ago

I had to turn the attract mode sounds off. The shrieking monkey kept scaring my wife and eldest daughter.

#8 6 years ago

Bump in hopes that someone can help me find this backglass

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from TunaSled:

It would be great if someone did a reproduction run on these. The proto is so much better than the art they settled on in my opinion, changes the whole look of the game.

+1

however I like the python version as well, would just like to have both

6 months later
#10 5 years ago

ebay.com link » Grand Lizard Pinball Machine Backglass From 1986 By Williams

#11 5 years ago

does anyone have a production vs proto comparison that we could see ... not sure if we have any artwork for it, but can check and will help if we can spot the differences if we do ...

thx
rick

#12 5 years ago

The Pre version is by Paul Faris

grand lizard pre.jpg

#13 5 years ago

The production version is by Python

grand lizard production.jpg
#15 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

radically different

Correct.

You won't accidentally mix them up.

You would have to re-mount the displays to switch backglasses.

#16 5 years ago

I love Python, but this is one case where Faris' artwork is much better.

#17 5 years ago

There is also an alternate Proto glass as well, this is the one I have:GL Alt.jpg

#18 5 years ago

If someone can let me borrow (or can scan) the front side of the Faris grand lizard glass, I convert it to sys11 format and make them.

#19 5 years ago

Strange that somebody hasn't suggested to CPR to do a run of them. Classic Paul Faris work (the only game he did for Williams Electronics to the best of my knowledge)-sure winner!!

While we are the subject of pinball backglasses-does anybody know what size picture frame to use to mount a typical backglass in?

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

If someone can let me borrow (or can scan) the front side of the Faris Grand Lizard glass, I convert it to sys11 format and make them.

Do you mean to say you'd move the display openings around in photoshop for sys11 and print them?
-mof

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

cfh said:
If someone can let me borrow (or can scan) the front side of the Faris Grand Lizard glass, I convert it to sys11 format and make them.

Do you mean to say you'd move the display openings around in photoshop for sys11 and print them?
-mof

If somebody does this I will definitely be in for one! The original backglass looks wayyyyy better and fits the game better as it was intended.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I love Python, but this is one case where Faris' artwork is much better.

+1

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Pre version is by Paul Faris

grand lizard pre.jpg 156 KB

100x better, that's the one that should have been there.

#24 5 years ago

The playfield needs to be repro'd and repro'd original backglass offered with it.

#25 5 years ago

Bgresto restored my python glass. But yes if I can get a scan of the faris version, I'll move the score windows to the sys11 positions and get bgresto to convert my python to the modified faris version. Then you guys can do that too. http://bgresto.com/?p=953

#26 5 years ago

I bought a Faris glass from a well known seller of backglasses. Was sad to see a scratch that I wasn't told about when the glass got here. I got a small refund but am still in it for $275. If anyone wanted it for that I would let it go. I never did get around to framing it and don't plan on converting my game for it.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I bought a Faris glass from a well known seller of backglasses. Was sad to see a scratch that I wasn't told about when the glass got here. I got a small refund but am still in it for $275. If anyone wanted it for that I would let it go. I never did get around to framing it and don't plan on converting my game for it.

pm sent.
-mof

#28 5 years ago

To the guys who sent me PM's, I will contact you in the order they came in. I am not going to shoot pictures tonight as I am too worn out to trust myself handling the glass.

#29 5 years ago

I would be very leary of that one on Ebay, look at the lettering on the lower right section that says "tilt". Why would it say that on the glass when its not even back lit ? Plus there is a color bar at the bottom. This almost looks like someone did make a copy of one. What do you guys think ?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#30 5 years ago

I have one nos too. The company i worked for got 6 grand lizards and one of them came out the box with a broken backglass. Under warranty williams sent us a replacement, but after opening the box we found a georgeous looking glass which didn't look like the others. While it had a different display layout the distributor sent us another glass, this time the correct ugly one.
i somehow ended up with the piece of art and it looks as good now as it did then.

#31 5 years ago

So, turns out we have at least (so far have found) the 'proto' cmyk films for Grand Lizard ... but these have the score displays in a different configuration (in each quadrant) ... only minor issue is re-creating the artwork under the score cutouts and moving them around ...

rick@planetarypinball.com

#32 5 years ago

The score displays themselves can be re-positioned.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

So, turns out we have at least (so far have found) the 'proto' cmyk films for Grand Lizard ... but these have the score displays in a different configuration (in each quadrant) ... only minor issue is re-creating the artwork under the score cutouts and moving them around ...

Rick,
Great news!
I'm sure there will be many more excited owners in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free
-mof

#35 5 years ago

Even though i have one of the Paul Faris glasses, I would definitely be interested in a repro where I wouldn't have to move the score displays, guess I'll put the project off a little longer, see what happens

#36 5 years ago

Rusty, i'm near Ann Arbor MI and going to pinball expo. i know it's probably not something you want to do, but if i can borrow that glass for a scan, i'll make this happen. and happen pretty quickly too. i can get the glass scanned on the way home from chicago pinball expo, and mail it right back to you. and of course you'll get a new glass (with the score windows in the proper sys11 orientation) for free. Please email me if this works for ya. cfh@provide.net

#37 5 years ago

Kevin Mchugh from Classic Pinball had one a few months ago... not sure if he still has it. Wouldn't hurt to contact him: www.classicpinball.com

Good luck!

-BB

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Rick, just to give you an idea of the fan base for a GL proto BG. 20 people watching the ebay auction.

I would be a bit more inclined to pick up a brand new backglass where I can trust the paint adhesion more than picking up an original, and then have it bubble in 3 years on a bad luck day. I mean to say, I wouldn't want to lose $300 on a bad luck deal. Also, having to not re-build my scoreboard (as long as the art loss isn't great) would be a bonus too.

-mof

#39 5 years ago

Here are the films we have
Grand Lizard Backglass.jpg

#41 5 years ago

We are happy to do a backglass for this if the interest is there and the artwork is there ... what was just posted was what we found immediately for films - not sure why there are 2-3 different locations for scoring windows though ... I've not run into that ...

#42 5 years ago

"One proto BG/PF repro combo over here please..."

onecombo.jpg
"... and don't worry, my boner for this is totally out of frame."

#43 5 years ago

The problem with all of the alternates is that they have the score windows apart from each other, GL and other System 11's of that time had the score window grouped together because they displayed scrolling text across them, which will look strange apart.

The best solution by far is to reproduce the glass with the displays in the standard positions, and somehow recreate the missing artwork, if this can be done, you'd have a winner!!

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

The problem with all of the alternates is that they have the score windows apart from each other, GL and other System 11's of that time had the score window grouped together because they displayed scrolling text across them, which will look strange apart.
The best solution by far is to reproduce the glass with the displays in the standard positions, and somehow recreate the missing artwork, if this can be done, you'd have a winner!!

This is exactly what I'm working on, but need a scan of the original glass. Going to chicago expo, hope one will appear there than i can borrow....

#45 5 years ago

Yes it will Clay

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Totally doable. This is just a quick job with the low rez art posted, and I didn't bother with getting all the text in or the fonts right etc, that would be done with vectors off the high rez file.

grand-lizard-proto-fixup-797.jpg

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Totally doable. This is just a quick job with the low rez art posted, and I didn't bother with getting all the text in or the fonts right etc

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Totally doable. This is just a quick job with the low rez art posted, and I didn't bother with getting all the text in or the fonts right etc, that would be done with vectors off the high rez file.

grand-lizard-proto-fixup-797.jpg 101 KB

I'm in for one.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I'm in for one.

Me too!

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Auich ... we have the art in high res, I'll talk to the guys and we are looking for alternate films which have the artwork (have many films to dig thru) ... so hopefully we don't have to do the photoshopping ...

Give me a couple of days and then we have it high enough resolution to silkscreen if we can get the artwork done, and if there are enough interested in a new silkscreened version on glass.

rick

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside