WTB: Game Plan Solenoid Board

By Slinger

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I know it is a long shot, but I am looking for a solenoid board for my Sharpshooter. Thanks!

1 week later
#2 10 years ago

So am I... for my Atilla the Hun. I found a site that repairs your old board.

1 month later
#3 10 years ago

Found one, so I am back up and running. Good luck on your search Corey.

#4 10 years ago

Sent you a pm coreybruyere.~SpOoKy

#5 10 years ago

Are you completely missing the solenoid board, or does it not work properly?

#6 10 years ago

Have it. It's just isn't working properly. According to my local pinball mechanic..

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from coreybruyere:

Have it. It's just isn't working properly. According to my local pinball mechanic..

GP solenoid board is pretty easy - it's like a Bally SDU without the HV circuit. In fact it's arguably easier since the flipper relay is socketed. The hard part is finding a working machine to test it in.

Depending upon your problem, it could be on the MPU:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-mpu-repair-a-shotgun-guide-w-pix#post-1309512

If you describe the problem we might be able to figure it out.

viperrwk

#8 10 years ago

Well it fires up great, the only thing that doesn't work is the drop targets, the bumpers, and the solenoid that kicks the ball back into the plunger lane. My flippers work perfectly fine though. Aren't those fired off by solenoids too?

#9 10 years ago

Do the slingshots work or are they dead as well?

If the slings are dead, then either the 74154 on the SDU board is bad or you have a problem with the solenoid select circuit on the MPU board. The problem is I've seen it more than once when there's a problem with solenoids it cascades to the MPU board and even the sound board.

The flippers are controlled separately through a relay on the SDU board and don't go through the 74154 which is why they are working.

You need someone to look at both the SDU and MPU together to solve the problem.

viperrwk

#10 10 years ago

Yea, my slingshots are dead too.. You'd think the professional I hired to find problems like this would fix this. So should I just stay on the lookout for new boards, get the guy I hired to come back out and finish the job he started, or find someone else to fix the boards? SpOoKyRiDeS says he thinks he has a SDU board that may be working.

#11 10 years ago

SpOoKy has two but won't send either your way until I first swap one out in my Sharp Shooter that works 101% to know for sure Corey. No use wasting your time or $$. Game Plan boards are a complete pita! But they are some fun pins too.~SpOoKy

#12 10 years ago

PS: Clive Jones has rebuilt and bullet- profed my GP CPU. Took a few weeks, but his work is beyond outstanding. Just a thought.~SpOoKy

#13 10 years ago

Yea, my slingshots are dead too.. You'd think the professional I hired to find problems like this would fix this. So should I just stay on the lookout for new boards, get the guy I hired to come back out and finish the job he started, or find someone else to fix the boards? SpOoKyRiDeS says he thinks he has a SDU board that may be working.

If the pro you had come out doesn't have Game Plan experience I wouldn't have him back.

Clive as mentioned and John Robertson are the first pros I think about for Game Plan board work.

Spooky's offer is great but your MPU board and even your sound board may also need attention which would mean a good SDU board alone may not solve your problem.

If you get stuck, feel free to PM me and perhaps I can help out.

viperrwk

#14 10 years ago

Thank you guys, I'm going to wait and see how Spooky's SDU is because from the looks of it mine looks like it's had a lot of unprofessional work done on it so maybe a new one is a good start? I'm going to pm you too viper

1 week later
#15 10 years ago

So turns out all I needed was a new 2.5A 120V fuse at the bottom of the playing field next to the right flipper along with some solder clean up on my SDU board. We used a multimeter to make sure all the resistors, diodes, and SCR's were within spec. Also tested resistance on all solenoid coils to ensure consistency. I'll post a link to a video as soon as possible of some gameplay and will post links to pictures once I clean it up some more and get all the lights replaced. Thank you Spooky and Viper for your help and knowledge. I'm going to go play some pinball now!

#16 10 years ago

Here's a video of some night time gameplay

#17 10 years ago

Nice! Congrats!~SpOoKy

#18 10 years ago

Quoted from coreybruyere:So turns out all I needed was a new 2.5A 120V fuse at the bottom of the playing field next to the right flipper along with some solder clean up on my SDU board. We used a multimeter to make sure all the resistors, diodes, and SCR's were within spec. Also tested resistance on all solenoid coils to ensure consistency. I'll post a link to a video as soon as possible of some gameplay and will post links to pictures once I clean it up some more and get all the lights replaced. Thank you Spooky and Viper for your help and knowledge. I'm going to go play some pinball now!

Nice job! Congrats and thanks for sharing the vid!

Did you cut the battery off the MPU board? If you didn't you should, esp since it doesn't seem to be holding a charge since you have garbage in the memory for the high score.

Enjoy it!

viperrwk

#19 10 years ago

So turns out all I needed was a new 2.5A 120V fuse at the bottom of the playing field next to the right flipper along with some solder clean up on my SDU board. We used a multimeter to make sure all the resistors, diodes, and SCR's were within spec. Also tested resistance on all solenoid coils to ensure consistency. I'll post a link to a video as soon as possible of some gameplay and will post links to pictures once I clean it up some more and get all the lights replaced. Thank you Spooky and Viper for your help and knowledge. I'm going to go play some pinball now!

I had a similar problem on my sharpshooter, I had dead pop bumpers , my 2.5 amp fuse under the playfield would
blow right away, Viper had just rebuilt my mpu and turned out my 74154 was blown on the SDU , did a replacement and mine plays fine. Viper knows these boards inside out. Can't say enough for the work he did on mine

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Nice job! Congrats and thanks for sharing the vid!
Did you cut the battery off the MPU board? If you didn't you should, esp since it doesn't seem to be holding a charge since you have garbage in the memory for the high score.
Enjoy it!
viperrwk

No we didn't, if I replace that will that fix my high score memory?

#21 10 years ago

No we didn't, if I replace that will that fix my high score memory?

Yes - but I would instead of a battery install a memory capacitor:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-mpu-repair-a-shotgun-guide-w-pix/page/2#post-1322482

Install pic is second photo in the post.

Last photo in this post shows where to mount the wires - front and back of the board:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-mpu-repair-a-shotgun-guide-w-pix#post-1320217

You can use this:

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=CERS-1.5F-5V&sprice=&stype=&scat=

Never have to worry about a battery again with this solution.

viperrwk

2 weeks later
#22 10 years ago

Thanks Viper. Every once in a while my machine will reboot in the middle of a game? You think I need to do some more cleaning up on circuit boards and pins? Or is this a separate issue?

#23 10 years ago

It seems like it's shorting out mid play. Score lights go out, flippers stop working but will work sometimes if you keep hitting, then the ball goes down the middle and the game starts over just as it was the last ball.

#24 10 years ago

You need to confirm if the MPU is rebooting or not though from your description it sounds like a connector issue rather than a MPU problem.

Pull the backglass, open the insert and play a game. When the problem happens check the LED on the MPU to see if it is flashing which would indicate a reboot.

viperrwk

#25 10 years ago

I dusted and cleaned some connectors behind my backglass and it seems to be working.. for now. If or when it happens I'll make sure to try to make it happen again and look to see if it reboots. Thanks again viperrwk!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-game-plan-solenoid-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.