WTB Funhouse?

By pghpinfan

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I am new to this and have played a few pins recently and would like to get one for my basement gameroom. From all the reviews and research I think I like the Funhouse the best. I recently got the opportunity to try one (for a very limited time) and enjoyed it. I am looking for something that works (I am not handy so don't need a project) and that the kids would enjoy for a long period of time so re-playability is a must. Two questions:

1. Is the Funhouse for me? Or should I go with something more modern?
2. Where can I find one working and reasonably priced? I am willing to drive 3-5 hours in any direction from Pittsburgh as long as the machine is working and the price isn't outrageous

Any and all help would be appreciated

#2 12 years ago

FH is a great pin. Cant go wrong with it and my kids love it. Ive got one but it would be on the outrageous side as its fully restored but there out there reasonable enough. Good luck!

#3 12 years ago

For me, modern has nothing to do with me wanting to buy it. I go for the fun factor regardless of age. That being sain, I agree with pintastic. It is a super fun game. My 6-yr old loves it!

#4 12 years ago

Awesome game..this is IMO is one of the few titles that is so well rounded and such a classic that it can totally satisfy as your only pin.

#5 12 years ago

I just picked up a Funhouse last weekend and so far I love it! It's not incredibly deep, but loads of fun nonetheless. Plus Rudy is a pretty cool toy to say the least.

#6 12 years ago

Pay particular attention to the play field on this game. The heat from the bulbs have made the mylar on some games start to lift. I would think a Funhouse with good play field, plastics and ramps with everything else working might start around $3k. To me, the fun factor is very high. With just basic maintenance this game can be very reliable. I watched a 12 yr old girl laugh the whole time she played it. Funhouse is one of those pins that's starting to be more in demand. However, you could find one at the right price in no time with a little luck.
Good hunting.

#7 12 years ago

Very fun pin and probably the one I remember playing most at arcades as a young'un. I'd say Loupie is about right saying it will take some luck to find one in good condition for under $3000, people tend to hang on to them. I was watching one on ebay for awhile that was a few hours away for $2900, but heck I ended up with two pins for less than that and very happy. Still want a Funhouse though!

#8 12 years ago

So - what I am hearing is good game...but expect to play $3000 plus? Feels like a lot for a first and only pin...

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

So - what I am hearing is good game...but expect to play $3000 plus? Feels like a lot for a first and only pin...

Nah theres 3 for sale on Mr Pinball for 2500. I found mine for less. Deals are to be had out there!

#10 12 years ago

Thanks. Didnt know about that site. Any other sites like that?

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Rick471:

Depends how bad you want it! Although yes you could get some cheaper pins for your first to see if you and your family enjoy it. Thats what I did and will work my way up, I'm glad I started with projects as well for some experience on working on them.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from doublestack:

Depends how bad you want it! Although yes you could get some cheaper pins for your first to see if you and your family enjoy it. Thats what I did and will work my way up, I'm glad I started with projects as well for some experience on working on them.

I would not recommend starting with projects... Get one or two working ones before a project. If you do not know much about machines, the "project" is only fun if you can still retire to working machines.

FH is great, but as an only pin you may not find it deep enough, as for your first one you will play the deuce out of it. For the price, you could get a couple mode play WPCs.

#14 12 years ago

I got my FH a few years ago for $1750. Decent shape but had a few cosmetic issues. Saved up and bought parts along the way and dealt with the minor issues. After a TON of work and a bit over 4K invested (including what I gave for it), this FH is banging! Great pin and when its nice, its awesome. Everything rebuilt, and if there was a new replacement for it, its on here. So, long story short, if you want a really nice FH, expect to pay over 3K. I wouldnt let mine go for less than 4, but than again, Ive got a little more than that into it. Worth it? You bet!

#15 12 years ago

Definitely a well respected classic. Just had one put into my bar and have been playing it more and I might justify changing my initial rating a little more favorably because it can be great fun. The only thing that I will add is that it is hard. All the shots are fairly tight and difficult, and FH punishes you for bad shots. But it'll make you better.

#16 12 years ago

Thanks for the help. Still on the lookout for one in my area so please let me know if anyone comes across a nice one for sale

2 weeks later
#17 12 years ago

Still looking - I know it has only been a few weeks but finding one of these seems to be quite the challenge. What is the average time it takes to find a pinball machine your looking for?

#18 12 years ago

It would be a good single pin choice. I missed one last week for $1500 but it had some lifting on the field.

#20 12 years ago

I paid 1700 for mine unshopped. I have dropped leds in it and will shop it once I get my tommy and JP finished.

What would you expect to pay? Dunno it isn't easy to find. I jumped on mine and if someone showed up with 2k id still pass. It was a pita to find one that wasn't over 2k. I had a shot at one that was in pieces for 800.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-funhouse-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.