(Topic ID: 1528)

WTB: Data East Power Supply BD.

By perryd

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 13 years ago

I don't recommend these replacement boards at all...
    Corners have been cut in every aspect of the design.
    Look at the high voltage section carefully on the replacement board.
    The replacement board used LM317's and LM337's on them for the + & - HV supplies. The LM317 is designed for a maximum differential of +57 volts and the LM337 is rated for a maximum differential of -37 volts. These boards are outputting something like +68 volts and -100 volts! These are way out of the limits of the manufacturer's absolute maximum rated specs.
    As long as conditions are -perfect- then the boards tend to work ok.
    When there is a heavy output load or short, things tend to go radically wrong with these.

According to the manufacturer's field application engineer (FAE) -- even with no problems with the loads, these are all destined to fail eventually. You will -always- momentarily exceed the manufacturers differential every time you turn the machine on. Eventually with one of the power cycles, the magic blue smoke will arrise.

#9 13 years ago

I don't know what regulators Pinscore uses for their high voltage section - but from what I have seen and experienced, they definitely have a better build quality to them. I talked to Pinscore awhile back and they said they do not use the undersized LM317 and LM337 voltage regulators for the high voltage section...but did not elaborate on what they did use (or maybe they did and I forgot).
    Pinscore boards do have an optional high voltage sections on them -- if you have LED score displays then you don't need this option. If you do use the standard gas discharge display then you do need this option. Another plus to Pinscore is their innovative DCGI design. Provides DC to GI for flicker free GI LED's if you ever go that route.

Just to give you an idea on quality. A prominent parts dealer got fed up with the huge quantity of board failures and returns from a certain board maker that claims to be 'the lowest cost provider'. This dealer discontinued that entire product line and went to Pinscore displays & Wms/DE power supplies & GPE Gottlieb supplies. Since there are so many of the bad boards out there, GPE sells replacement parts for these new boards...and GPE sells lots of these replacement parts.
    I'm purposely being ambiguous with the names above in order to keep out of trouble but you can determine the previous board maker from above posts.

#11 13 years ago

Yep... GPE is Great Plains Electronics located in Nebraska
    Parts, cows and corn...and not much else.

Ed (GPE)

#15 13 years ago

Actually, going above the maximum input while maintaining the input to output differential is exactly what the FAE's recommended not to do unless you use preregulation as they also show on their website (board in question does not do that).
    They said 'sure, you can maintain a safe differential as long as conditions are perfect and as long as you never turn the machine off or on.' But there are two issues that can still kill the parts.
    1 -- like you said, a short circuit will kill the parts...sometimes rather violently as I have seen. I tried this during testing, deliberately went with a higher voltage than rated (100V) and shorted the output. It was spectacular and ended up with three leg stumps and a TO-220 tab. I need to do that again but record it with a camera. I don't recommend anybody else doing this without eye protection, though.
    2 -- every time you power cycle the machine, you will have a violation of the absolute maximum differential. When you turn the power on, you will have voltage on the input but not yet on the output. Yes, this will be only briefly, but the FAE said THIS is what will eventually kill a majority of the parts as it dumps the entire voltage across the part with a high current spike. No, you won't have the exploded body as witnessed with the death-by-shortcircuit. Instead, it will be a slow and uneventful death.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-data-east-power-supply-bd?tu=G-P-E and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.