8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MrSanRamon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Data East Power Supply Board- Model 520-5047-02 or 520-5047-03 WTD.
    Email condition and asking price.

thanks
    p

#2 8 years ago

I had to replace mine and went with a Rottendog.. It has worked perfect since installation. I think it cost me about $70. Not sure if this helps.. but it's a good alternative to a hard to find in good condition part.

Boda

#3 8 years ago

what machine did you use it on? Some users have had good luck with these boards
    and some have not? Any more comments on Rottendog power boards would be
    greatly appreciated.

thanks
    p

#4 8 years ago

I don't recommend these replacement boards at all...
    Corners have been cut in every aspect of the design.
    Look at the high voltage section carefully on the replacement board.
    The replacement board used LM317's and LM337's on them for the + & - HV supplies. The LM317 is designed for a maximum differential of +57 volts and the LM337 is rated for a maximum differential of -37 volts. These boards are outputting something like +68 volts and -100 volts! These are way out of the limits of the manufacturer's absolute maximum rated specs.
    As long as conditions are -perfect- then the boards tend to work ok.
    When there is a heavy output load or short, things tend to go radically wrong with these.

According to the manufacturer's field application engineer (FAE) -- even with no problems with the loads, these are all destined to fail eventually. You will -always- momentarily exceed the manufacturers differential every time you turn the machine on. Eventually with one of the power cycles, the magic blue smoke will arrise.

#7 8 years ago

Pinscore is making one. It's not currently in stock at marcospecialties but you might check into it if you don't want the LM317,LM337 ones. (I have no idea what parts it uses and could be just the same).

It's part number DJ-DEDMD

I can't find a picture of it. I'm sure marcospecialties or pinscore could send you detailed info.

I could design one using an old EL34 or EN34 vacuum tube .. hehehe .. those would never burn out

#8 8 years ago

Thanks,

What aer the LM 317, LM337 ones? I need one for the larger DMD displays like Frankenstein, Baywatch, Maverick, etc. with 192 x 64 DMD.

Chas, at Stern, said that you did not have to use the 520-5047-03, but could get by
    with the 520-5047-02. So I assume that the new Pinscore Power supplies might work??

p

#9 8 years ago

I don't know what regulators Pinscore uses for their high voltage section - but from what I have seen and experienced, they definitely have a better build quality to them. I talked to Pinscore awhile back and they said they do not use the undersized LM317 and LM337 voltage regulators for the high voltage section...but did not elaborate on what they did use (or maybe they did and I forgot).
    Pinscore boards do have an optional high voltage sections on them -- if you have LED score displays then you don't need this option. If you do use the standard gas discharge display then you do need this option. Another plus to Pinscore is their innovative DCGI design. Provides DC to GI for flicker free GI LED's if you ever go that route.

Just to give you an idea on quality. A prominent parts dealer got fed up with the huge quantity of board failures and returns from a certain board maker that claims to be 'the lowest cost provider'. This dealer discontinued that entire product line and went to Pinscore displays & Wms/DE power supplies & GPE Gottlieb supplies. Since there are so many of the bad boards out there, GPE sells replacement parts for these new boards...and GPE sells lots of these replacement parts.
    I'm purposely being ambiguous with the names above in order to keep out of trouble but you can determine the previous board maker from above posts.

#10 8 years ago

"GPE sells replacement parts for these new boards...and GPE sells lots of these replacement parts."

Who is GPE?

Great Plains Electronics from the mid west?

#11 8 years ago

Yep... GPE is Great Plains Electronics located in Nebraska
    Parts, cows and corn...and not much else.

Ed (GPE)

#12 8 years ago

I looked up one other replacement board brand and could see it also used the same parts (LM317 and LM337). I've been a senior electronics tech for 25 years. They are pushing these components past their design limits. So like mentioned it doesn't take much to make them fail. I'm sure they will mention they are fuse protected but even then the parts get stressed before the fuse blows even if it's a fast acting one. Why do they use them ? Because the older parts are obsolete and hard to find. Also designing a more robust board can price them out of the cheapo competition.

Check on a getting info etc on the pinscore replacement. They are normally designed with options that require you to do no rewiring etc.

You could also fix your current board. Check these suppliers for those old obsolete parts needed:

www.greatplainselectronics.com (mentioned first out of courtesy)
    www.jameco.com
    www.newark.com
    www.mouser.com

If you don't see what you need give them a call. They often can find it. I've gotten many so called obsolete no longer available parts from these places. We have also used them at work as much of the equipment we repair is old and the owners don't have the budget to buy new.

#13 8 years ago

The machine i used the rottendog in is a DE Star Wars.. like i said it has been nothing but perfect.. I have been very satisfied.. However, I am not a electronic expert and i appreciate all the information here.. I'm new to this stuff and at the time the reviews were nothing but favorable about the boards. I will be looking into pinscore as well!

#14 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure the LM 317 can be used to generate higher output voltages than the 37 volt differentials by floating the adjustment resistor above gnd potential. Instead of grounding the R2 adjustment resistor, you connect it to a reference bias voltage.

Let's say 60 VDC reference bias voltage and the input to the regulator is 90 VDC. The output should be able to adjust from 61.2 VDC and upwards to the max output of around 87 VDC.

The National Instruments site states this:
    >>Besides replacing fixed regulators, the LM117 (317) is useful in a wide variety of other applications. Since the regulator is “floating” and sees only the input-to-output differential voltage, supplies of several hundred volts can be regulated as long as the maximum input to output differential is not exceeded, i.e., avoid short-circuiting the output. <<

So what you would really seem to lose by regulating high voltages would be your short circuit to Gnd protection.

#15 8 years ago

Actually, going above the maximum input while maintaining the input to output differential is exactly what the FAE's recommended not to do unless you use preregulation as they also show on their website (board in question does not do that).
    They said 'sure, you can maintain a safe differential as long as conditions are perfect and as long as you never turn the machine off or on.' But there are two issues that can still kill the parts.
    1 -- like you said, a short circuit will kill the parts...sometimes rather violently as I have seen. I tried this during testing, deliberately went with a higher voltage than rated (100V) and shorted the output. It was spectacular and ended up with three leg stumps and a TO-220 tab. I need to do that again but record it with a camera. I don't recommend anybody else doing this without eye protection, though.
    2 -- every time you power cycle the machine, you will have a violation of the absolute maximum differential. When you turn the power on, you will have voltage on the input but not yet on the output. Yes, this will be only briefly, but the FAE said THIS is what will eventually kill a majority of the parts as it dumps the entire voltage across the part with a high current spike. No, you won't have the exploded body as witnessed with the death-by-shortcircuit. Instead, it will be a slow and uneventful death.

#16 8 years ago

Could the previously named PS be responsible for my problem being discussed here?
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-dot-matrix-interference

#17 8 years ago

thanks everyone for the tips on the new boards. I have contacted Marco and
    Pinscore and they are testing the new board to see it will handle the larger DMD load.

4 months later
    #18 8 years ago

sorry to bring back an old topic... but i had to share my advice..
    I just replaced my aftermarket board named above with a rebuilt original. What a difference! The table plays so much better, the flippers hit harder, the pop-bumpers slam hard! and everything is WAY brighter. Even my DMD problem is fixed. I take back any recommendation i had made.. It ended up being a waste of hours and money.

1 year later
    #19 7 years ago

Can anyone suggest an alternative to the rottendog boards as I have heard mixed things about them, need a PPB and a PSB for a Jurassic Park?

Also everwhere seems to be out of stock of the rottendog boards until May.

#20 7 years ago

Pinscore, as noted above

#21 7 years ago

I had a replacement rottendog board in a DE hook that I bought.

Had problems with the sound during parts of the game. I Measured the +5 volts and it was low enough to cause the sound board to reset.

I replace the rottendog with a pinscore power supply, no problems since.

I sent the rottendog board back for assessment, and they repaired a regulator and sent it back to me.

I have it in the garage, not sure if I will ever need it...or if it would work if I put it back in the Hook.

So, rottendog customer service was great and the pinscore board was a great choice too.

Robert

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 21.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 129.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside