View topic image gallery

Whirlwind translite 004.JPG
Whirlwind translite 003.JPG
IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0048.jpg
calvin-hobbes-2.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Title says it all, let me know what you've got, and what you want for it!

Thanks!

#3 10 years ago

THANK YOU! Ordered.

#4 10 years ago

Anyone know if they'll have these at the Louisville Show?

#5 10 years ago

Starship Fantasy IS going to the Louisville show, but I have no idea if he will have any left as he was doing the Florida Show & then the Ohio Show, then off to Louisville.....

#6 10 years ago

Was going to order one of these, showing out of stock now. Does anyone have another source?

1 week later
#7 10 years ago

Also tried to order and out of stock. Anyone got one?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

ebay.com link » Whirlwind Backglass Mirror Not Translight

Sold! thanks Stu!

#10 10 years ago

Contrary to popular belief, I am here to help......

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Contrary to popular belief, I am here to help......

Yeah, that other thread got pretty rocky. Appreciate all you do for us tho, keep it up! I loved my new ES CPR glass so much , I decided I needed it's twin or Whirlwind might get jealous
(For the record, I'd love that BK playfield if I had the $)

#12 10 years ago

Glad your happy with the ES glass, that one was a PITA project! The stuff we went through to get that done you would not believe....have you seen/bought the Taxi glass? it's nicer than the Whirlwind....

#13 10 years ago

They were at a show this weekend in Louisville and were great to talk to. Had a great variety.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

have you seen/bought the Taxi glass

Don't have a Taxi in my sights at the moment, but if I did, would be a no brainer to grab one.

#15 10 years ago

I was somehow able to snag one of these from starship fantasy. Just received the glass. Looks great, nice work CPR!

#16 10 years ago

thanks....

#17 10 years ago

Got the backglass today and really bummed.
Printing is grainy and fuzzy, colors washed out, print head lines though it, color bleed on one side, pretty useless.
Looks like a reject that was given out as a tournament prize.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Got the backglass today and really bummed.
Printing is grainy and fuzzy, colors washed out, print head lines though it, color bleed on one side, pretty useless.

Pics? There's bound to be some differences because of the CMYK conversion, but that doesn't sound good.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Pics? There's bound to be some differences because of the CMYK conversion, but that doesn't sound good.

Edit note - this is a CPR Reject and not an example of their usual wares!

IMG_0049.jpgIMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0048.jpgIMG_0048.jpg
IMG_0047.jpgIMG_0047.jpg

Post edited by zippydapinhead: Clarification

#20 10 years ago

IMG_0049.jpg 469 KB

IMG_0048.jpg 475 KB

IMG_0047.jpg 620 KB

Wow, that looks like s--t. I was looking forward to seeing one of these.

I have a repro CPR Eight Ball backglass and I can tell you it isn't even close to the original color-wise so I am not too surprised.

#21 10 years ago

Thanks, those are really good comparisons. I know Stu said they've improved their process since this one. Going from a photographic translite to CMYK is definitely never going to be the same though.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks, those are really good comparisons. I know Stu said they've improved their process since this one. Going from a photographic translite to CMYK is definitely never going to be the same though.

They hit the nail good on my ES glass - it's stunning and perfect, was expecting the same with Whirlwind. I'm not gonna be bummed though, as my Whirlwind game just got here yesterday and I'm not gonna let something like this ruin it for me. Just wanted it to match my ES in awesomeness. Guess I've got a spendy wall hanger to build a light box for. At least my original translight is good - was an early one with the sticker over the hat, so I guess that's cool.

#23 10 years ago

First off, the WW BG in the photos looks like one of the ones we "couldn't sell" so we gave it away as a "Wall Hanger" not to be used in a game, typically speaking we use these "seconds" as Sponsor Prizes at Giveaways or Raffels, but they are not typical of our glasses that we actually "sell" on the web store.....

Second: The ES BG was "Spot PMS Colors" vrs WW which is a CMYK Process Color system where the entire image is made up of Cyan, Yellow, Megenta, and Black (CMYK)......

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

First off, the WW BG in the photos looks like one of the ones we "couldn't sell" so we gave it away as a "Wall Hanger" not to be used in a game, typically speaking we use these "seconds" as Sponsor Prizes at Giveaways or Raffels, but they are not typical of our glasses that we actually "sell" on the web store.....
Second: The ES BG was "Spot PMS Colors" vrs WW which is a CMYK Process Color system where the entire image is made up of Cyan, Yellow, Megenta, and Black (CMYK)......

Yes this is obviously a second, I would like to see a good one compared to an original though. Do they look as nice as the ES glasses? Should I bother trying to track down one or just leave my translight in? Don't want to throw more money away on another one if the translight is gonna look better, stuck with one spendy wall hanger already.

#25 10 years ago

I would like to see a good one compared to an original though. Do they look as nice as the ES glasses? Should I bother trying to track down one or just leave my translight in? Don't want to throw more money away on another one if the translight is gonna look better.

Guys,

The translite is always going to look better. It's the original translite. It's printed from the master negative on actual photographic paperstock. Sharp and crisp as a glossy cover of National Geographic magazine.

These CMYK reproduction backglasses, or "translite-to-backglass" products are meant to be alternatives - for translites that have turned to crap (sat in sunlight for decades, were torn, got wet, or went missing, etc).

As we have explained in a couple threads on PinSide in the past - our SPOT-color glasses are Art Team redraws from scratch, because they are solid blackline cartoons with solid color fills (ie. they can be vectorized into layers) and are thus "lossless" and sharp as a tack when printed anew.

Our PROCESS-color backglasses (CMYK) are for backglasses (or translites) that were photographically printed back in the day. In other words, those glasses aren't "cartoons" - they were paintings, watercolors, etc. The new artwork is NOT redrawn, but is an NOS scan that has been lab-split into 4 arrays of dots - Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black. Each layer of dots is laid separately on the glass, one at a time, one behind the other.

The downside? Due to scientific reasons I won't explain here, the "new dots" can only be pulled (max) only 1/3 to 1/2 the original "resolution" of the original piece.

calvin-hobbes-2.jpgcalvin-hobbes-2.jpg

This was totally covered up-front in the gallery at our site:
http://www.classicplayfields.com/photo133.html

It also pertains to every one of our CMYK backglasses. We're making small tweaks on every run to get them better and better - as in more color-accurate, less oversaturate, less overcontrast. But they will always be half-resolution as far as dot size. It's not fair because it's like trying to compare Kodak paper to a color photo in a newspaper. A Kodak print isn't halftoned at all (it's grain) and the newspaper photo is halftoned to about 75 lpi (lines per inch).

Under a magnifying glass, one looks like fine smoke particles (too tiny to see) and one looks like little clumps of grapes.

The gallery at the site also already shows side-by-side comparisons with an original. Did since day one. As you can see, at player position, the imagery is fine and virtually indistinguishable between translite and glass. That said, they are not meant to be laid alongside each other for detail-to-detail comparisons, and *especially* not meant to be detail-compared at the 10-inches-from-your-eyes level. Because the detail on our silkscreened artwork will never come close on these CMYK-conversions. Never will. It's just not possible. (see Calvin-Hobbes example again, above) But their role was never to replace a specimen original.

KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

#26 10 years ago

I can confirm that it indeed was. We are approached by tournaments constantly, and ship swag to them for free all the time. Louisville was no exception. But what they get are culls/seconds/thirds/rejects for giveaway/prize/raffle/charity purposes only. Wall hangers. They are usually marked in sharpie marker (by me) on the backside. But I fear it often gets wiped off.

That glass was given away for free, by us. Not to say it has zero value, but that says something on its quality grade.

And I'm the one that picks the giveaways.

Sorry about your Ebay experience I still say don't ever try to replace a good translite with a backglass redux.

As for the photos posted above, it's giving me nightmares that they are posted as "CPR" as testimony of what you get. Totally not true. That glass is a messed up reject (a really bad cyan print for starters - look at the dropouts at the bottom edge). Which lead to comments below it that really discourage others. People are making their minds up using these kinds of threads, and it's scary. To folks in the future - ALWAYS see our gallery at the web site for an ACTUAL example of the run. If you don't like what you see there, OK. But the photos above are NOT "CPR"

If it wouldn't be so much to ask, I'd appreciate an edit in details on that post, a correction of the photos, or entire deletion of the photos. Whatever you deem fairer.

KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

#27 10 years ago

Yes, it was a "REJECT" that we gave away for Free to the Louisville Show, the eBay Seller sold it as New, but Did disclose that it was "won" at a show.....Here is a Copy & Paste from the Original eBay Auction Description:

"New Repro from CPR. Won at Louisville Pinball Expo. In good shape, one small scratch above the H, and color alittle messed up on left side can see in pictures. Genuine tempered glass (not a translite). Genuine 7-color CMYK + spot ink-silkscreened. MIRRORED, with additional CPR artist mirror bits added - really cool. Beyond a replacement, perfect as a wall hanging in your gameroom, this glass is relevant all on its own. Polished corners and edges, ready for backglass-style trim and lift bar (1/8" as usual for our glasses). Turnkey replacement, an alternative to a plain paper translite. Add $40 to sale price for shipping."

ebay.com link: WHIRLWIND Backglass mirror not translight

The Bottom Line: If you "WIN" a CPR Backglass or Playfield as a Prize for a Tournament or Raffle, chances are it's NOT a "First", it's a Reject or Second that we gave away for FREE to the Show or Tournament to be Used As a WALL HANGER PRIZE > Not as a "First" to be used in an actual game.......

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

As for the photos posted above, it's giving me nightmares that they are posted as "CPR" as testimony of what you get.

Not my intention at all and post has been edited. Don't need you having nightmares distracting you from making all the great stuff you do for us!

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

The Bottom Line: If you "WIN" a CPR Backglass or Playfield as a Prize for a Tournament or Raffle, chances are it's NOT a "First", it's a Reject or Second that we gave away for FREE to the Show or Tournament

I realized by the description that it was a second, but the faults the seller described seemed minor, the color misregistry on the side would be mostly hidden by the trim, and one blemish above the H is no biggie. Seller didn't mention the rest and honestly didn't notice it, as I'm sure he didn't have an original to compare it to.
Even CPR's seconds can look awesome, so asumed those two reasons were why it was a second and I could deal with it, turns out there were several other faults seller did not notice. It's all good, seller is a good guy and I'm good with him.
Keep up the good works over at CPR!

Oh yeah... any word when the PinBot translight to mirrored glass will be done and will it be a SPOT-color glass or process-color?

#30 10 years ago

I have a NOS translite if anyone is looking not the glass one

#31 10 years ago

I have a Translite also ... Make me a gOOd offer figure in ship'n , maybe $ 65.00 .... It came w/ the last Whirlwind that i bought , i haven't had it installed ..

Whirlwind translite 003.JPGWhirlwind translite 003.JPG
Whirlwind translite 004.JPGWhirlwind translite 004.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-cpr-whirlwind-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.