10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

The End is Near.gif
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Just my opinion, but I think AFM, MB, and CC get remade first, if MMR does well. My gut says AFM is next with a lower price point. I will buy all of those, if the quality is there of course.

Just as overwhelmed as the Plantary guys were with the demand for MMr I think they will be equally underwhelmed with the demand for AFMr.

The true demand for AFM has never really been determined. Though MM had a steady up and to right value model that people commented on in amazement for years, AFM didn't take off in perceived value till the Spring of 2012 and the first sale that really surprised people was an arguable shill sell on EBay.

The nicest AFM I have ever seen (a brand new HEP prototype restore) sold for around 11k and some change just this summer on EBay in a no reserve auction. The seller was very surprised and a little disappointed I believe. People have listed AFM on pinside all the time and though they list them for five digit plus I'm not sure if I believe they are selling at that price point.

3 weeks later
#102 10 years ago

AFM is a 7-9K machine all day long. However, finding a CC at 7,500 is highly unlikely.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from ChevelleSSguy:

finding a CC at 7,500 is highly unlikely.

That was the mindset about MM actually ever being remade!

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from ChevelleSSguy:

finding a CC at 7,500 is highly unlikely.

But it does happen. Recently.

#105 10 years ago

That CC find in NJ is a once in a lifetime find. Trust me, you will die before another deal like that falls in your lap.

#106 10 years ago

Not many under 2k CCs left out there I'm sure, but then again there's always the 6k model.

#107 10 years ago

I meant the 2K del

#108 10 years ago

The MM remake idea only works because demand is high for a title that isn't *that* rare. That proves beyond a doubt that it's not just a rarity phenomenon, but is based on gameplay, too. Once prices on beaters got to $9k+ it became obvious that if one could build these in a reasonable volume for $5kish, one could sell them for $8k and make it worth doing. Boom, we see MM remakes.

Now, I'm not in Rick's head and I've not been paying much attention to pinball for about five years now, but before that I was *quite* involved. In fact, *I* was interested and investigated buying the Williams pinball rights back when they were first sold off. I'm not going to go any further than to say it became pretty obvious Williams wasn't interested in selling to anyone who would likely do good things for pinball.

But all that said, I'm not certain there's another title worth remaking. What I do know is that if the MMR happens without major snags and ends up successful from a monetary standpoint, it will be a LOT easier for Rick to do other titles because he'll know his costs even closer AND he'll have trust enough in the community to launch a pre-order campaign without such a nicely finished prototype. Don't get enough interest? Refund the money. Get enough? Boom, do it.

CC is an interesting question. I think *if* Rick can do it with updated software, it would probably sell. If not? No way. It's price is driven WAY more by lack of supply than it is about gameplay. I have an HUO one and I can say it *is* a really good playfield. But the software is also very limited. The folks saying "but my distributor couldn't get rid of them" are right, but that was a VERY low point for pinball in general. The collector community alone is bigger now than the coin-op pinball industry was then, IMHO (and yes, I worked in the coin-op industry back then).

MB? I dunno. I don't care for the game, personally. Not sure why. Would it sell a thousand or more copies at $8k? Probably.

AFM? No way. I think it's teetering on the collector price side of "not worth it." I agree with the sentiment that it's value is a bit overblown and always has been. I think they generally do trade for MUCH lower prices than they are advertised for, much like folks here have said.

And personally, it still kind of sucks that we're all soooo interested in remakes. There's no way that prices on the older titles are going to keep going so far north that the list of remake titles worth remaking is going to grow enough to keep that as an interesting business. We're debating the one or two more that might work, and even if that takes a couple more years to do those, there won't be two or three more by then worth doing, I don't think. Stern is doing okay with this movie license model and tiered game levels, but I still feel like someone with a good creative team could skip the licensing and create unique titles that will sell.

I also wonder about the head-to-head thing. I just sold my Joust head-to-head. The reason? Gameplay is just so simple. But could it be done better? Absolutely. I'm *very* tempted to try my hand at design and build a prototype of one. My biggest problem is while I think I could do an interesting and fun playfield, I don't have any graphics or sound skills at all. *sigh*

--Donnie

#109 10 years ago

CC is the obvious choice for PPS, Rick has demonstrated he's no dummy, the MMR was priced to perfection thanks to us. CCC has been extensively covered here also, so I think he knows which game will make this site blow up again.

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

CC is the obvious choice for PPS, Rick has demonstrated he's no dummy, the MMR was priced to perfection thanks to us. CCC has been extensively covered here also, so I think he knows which game will make this site blow up again.

Unfortunately, CC has to run CCC software to be interesting. Even finishing off the williams software somehow won't be enough. CCC is so much more than that. And based on what Rick said in the past, williams would never sign off on CCC. So it means the board set would need to at least be proc capable.

#111 10 years ago

CC is the next remake. Not sure I would be looking to buy one right now. I sure as hell would be looking to sell.

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-cactus-canyon-for-up-to-7500/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.