Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by radium
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

My Flash Gordon says "Emperor Ming a KWAAWWK PFFFT BUZZ FARTTTT", which I'm pretty sure is not correct. I'm not able to repair the board (tried new ROMs, caps, etc).

If you have a working S&T board please let me know! Even dirty is fine, as long as it works. I'll clean it up and replace caps and pots if needed.

#2 5 years ago

Hopeless bump.

#3 5 years ago

I may have one last working one, I will take a look and let you know.

#5 5 years ago

They are hard to come by - even in marginal condition (I have one I attempted to fix by replacing caps with no-joy).

You might try K's Arcade - they usually have some they've rebuilt (and currently show as in-stock). I bought one for my EBD and worked great.

https://ksarcade.net/bally-squawk-and-talk-as2518-61-1775.html

#6 5 years ago

its time to send your one in to a board magician and get it fixed. Dont know who in usa but coinopcauldron above is likely a great choice

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

I may have one last working one, I will take a look and let you know.

Thanks, much appreciated!

#8 5 years ago

I saw that one at K's Arcade, but my face exploded from sticker shock.

I think you guys are right... if someone doesn't dig one up around here, I'll try having it repaired. Thanks!

#9 5 years ago

Did you replace the sockets for the IC's? The board is working you are missing a data line or two. Most likely the sockets, connectors, bad outputs on a PIA, etc.

#10 5 years ago

I have a partially working one, never tried to debug it. LMK if you can't find anything else and need one.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Did you replace the sockets for the IC's? The board is working you are missing a data line or two. Most likely the sockets, connectors, bad outputs on a PIA, etc.

I haven't changed the sockets, but I think you are absolutely right about the missing data line. The bad speech is always in the exact same place each time. The high cost of a new board surprised me, so maybe I should give this another shot. I have a Hakko 808, so it would probably be fastest to socket all the IC's and then if that doesn't work, start swapping IC's until I find the bad one.

#12 5 years ago

There's a new one listed on Ebay if you put in Centaur pinball for the title. Or you could click on the link below. Hope that helps.

ebay.com link » Brand New Say It Again Replacement Board For Bally Centaur Pinball Machines

#13 5 years ago

Oops, got the wrong link. And I just realized that the "Squawk-n-Talk" link is gone. My bad.

#14 5 years ago

Ok, went through all my S&T boards, none work and I do not have time right now to repair. I will offer this advice if you just decide to go the shotgun approach on you decide to cut all chips and socket. If that does not work, no one will attempt repair and in addition to the original problem, all your solder work will now be in question.

#15 5 years ago

Aw, here's one. Good luck, I hope it works for you.

ebay.com link » Bally Pinball Machine Squawk Talk Sound Board

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I haven't changed the sockets, but I think you are absolutely right about the missing data line. The bad speech is always in the exact same place each time. The high cost of a new board surprised me, so maybe I should give this another shot. I have a Hakko 808, so it would probably be fastest to socket all the IC's and then if that doesn't work, start swapping IC's until I find the bad one.

I'd start by rebuilding the lower left connector on the MPU first, then socket the TMS5200, the ROMS, then the PIA.

Check the board for normal operation after each step.

Is the TMS5200 corroded or have black crap on its legs? If so VERY gently try and sand it off. Be VERY careful when removing it from the socket they are extremely fragile when corroded or tarnished.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

I'd start by rebuilding the lower left connector on the MPU first, then socket the TMS5200, the ROMS, then the PIA.
Check the board for normal operation after each step.
Is the TMS5200 corroded or have black crap on its legs? If so VERY gently try and sand it off. Be VERY careful when removing it from the socket they are extremely fragile when corroded or tarnished.

You think an MPU connector could cause this? I guess I imagined the MPU would instruct S&T to produce a particular sound, then S&T would handle building the audible sound and just "pump sound" out to the speakers.

I'll check the TMS5200 for black crap.

Appreciate the help, thanks!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside