By Schusler

3 years ago

Stats

• 63 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by woz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-4.jpg

There are 63 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

REALLY need to check this one of the list!

Anybody have one for sale stateside or any leads on one - let me know...

Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

I'll keep my ears open for another, Punk is a tough get.

Steve

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I'll keep my ears open for another, Punk is a tough get.
Steve

Thanks Steve!

#4 3 years ago

On a side note, I had over half dozen sellers looking to unload theirs... unfortunately these were all overseas sellers!

Had only one here in the U.S. (pacific northwest) possible seller that flaked on the deal!

#5 3 years ago

Punk is a pretty unique and fun sys80. I have a buddy with one that is still in the midst of a PF swap that was started about 4 years ago (Steve remembers this fiasco!) I would say this would be a fun title to add some early punk music into.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Punk is a pretty unique and fun sys80. I have a buddy with one that is still in the midst of a PF swap that was started about 4 years ago (Steve remembers this fiasco!) I would say this would be a fun title to add some early punk music into.

I love it!

It's got that patented unorthodox Gottlieb layout. Plenty of drops and I'm a big fan of the theme.

#7 3 years ago

Looks pretty rare also, less than 1000 made.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Looks pretty rare also, less than 1000 made.

A good attribute for my collection.....

#9 3 years ago

Looks more New Wave than Punk to me. And not a Trudeau. PASS!

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Looks more New Wave than Punk to me. And not a Trudeau. PASS!

Non-Trudeau Gottlieb snob!

#11 3 years ago

Very cool game. But does that say Depeche Mode ?? Dead Boys ...yes. Depeche Mode...no....

#12 3 years ago

Punk and new wave branched out from the same tree. The art on the game looks more representative of the late 70's when the two were more similar, rather than the year the game came out.

#13 3 years ago

I'd love one. Closest I will ever get to a Siouxsie and the Banshees pin. Did you notice how they imply the band names by just using selected letters? Just like the people in the art kinda looks like....(let's hear your guesses. I think the girl in the stripped top looks like Debbie Harry).

Don C.

#14 3 years ago

I see Billy Idol (bottom-left (post-Gen-X *facepalm*)), Adam Ant (left (yellow)), Corey Hart (top-right (sunglasses at night)

... and Cyndi Lauper and Flea (bottom-right)!

image-4.jpg

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Don_C:

I'd love one. Closest I will ever get to a Siouxsie and the Banshees pin. Did you notice how they imply the band names by just using selected letters? Just like the people in the art kinda looks like....(let's hear your guesses. I think the girl in the stripped top looks like Debbie Harry).
Don C.

Easy way to avoid licensing fees!

#16 3 years ago

Avoiding licensing fees is a time honored pinball tradition! Examples in my collection: they have ripped off Star Wars (Firepower) and Judy Garland in "Meet me in St. Louis" (Willliams St. Louis). There are plenty of others.

Don C.

#17 3 years ago

Bumpage...

1 month later
#18 3 years ago

Yep...still looking!

#19 3 years ago

There is one on Craigslist in Saratoga, N.Y.>>> albany.craigslist.org link

I will pm you also.

#20 3 years ago

So I see link no good....sorry.

1 week later
#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Yep...still looking!

Still on the lookout...

2 months later
#22 3 years ago

James made me bump this!

#23 3 years ago

Keep those eyes peeled pinfolks. I got stupid lucky because I just happened to text a guy and he said he had two! He is unsure where the other one is...lol.

We need to get these PUNKS! back into the mainstream, they are out there!!

glwts!!

#24 3 years ago

Bumpage...

#25 3 years ago

bumping for him too- 900+ made, someone has to have one hiding somwhere???
You guys/gals over seas, surely you must have an extra or two you're looking to part with, since about 90% of production went your way?

#26 3 years ago

Yah, it's weird, by comparison, they only made 2000 Motordome's and they are basically unavoidable.

#27 3 years ago

I should add, we are looking for *two* Gottlieb Punks in Illinois...

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I should add, we are looking for *two* Gottlieb Punks in Illinois...

Yup, maybe someone's got 2 they wanna ship to Chicago

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

bumping for him too- 900+ made, someone has to have one hiding somwhere???
You guys/gals over seas, surely you must have an extra or two you're looking to part with, since about 90% of production went your way?

A bit of enigma to me too...

I must say... my tenure of collecting pins - hands down this is the hardest pin I've come across locating. And I do own quite of a few machines less than the 900 production number.

Some of you guys know how long I've been posted "WTB" ads for said pin. Some scenarios I've come to the conclusion: Majority are in Europe, owners are not on Pinside, and what I think is a possibility is many owners are not into pins, per se but into the music of the Punk era. I actually ran across one of these owners.

#30 3 years ago

I'm a former owner of a 'Punk'...sold it YEARS ago to a 1-pin homeowner. It ultimately probably ended up at a tag sale (speculation on my part) when their kids outgrew it. FWIW, it wasn't a very good pin, even in context of what else was available at the time. Typcal Gottlieb cheese, but to each his own. There really is no history of pricing on this, but I'd hazard a guess at -oh, I don't know-800.00 for a player?
Punk is usually lumped with "Rock" or "Rock Encore" which I also own currently. Rock has MUCH more interesting play and again-in my opinion-a much better pin. YMMV, though. Good luck searching-that's the fun part!

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Norm:

There really is no history of pricing on this, but I'd hazard a guess at -oh, I don't know-800.00 for a player?

I think that price may have been accurate 20 or so years ago, but not today. As mentioned, there are a few die hard collectors that just can't find this title, and I have never seen even one for sale anywhere. I couldn't disagree more about ''typical Gottlieb cheese'' if anything, the system80b build and quality was pretty much all cheese and the cabinet was built like crackers.

There are many collectors/players that really appreciate the build and nostalgia that is the system 80/A platform. I know for myself, they lost me as a fan going into System 80b (and I still own my first for over 20 years, a Bounty Hunter, but it's a love hate relationship)

Punk perfectly personifies 1982 imho.

#32 3 years ago

Also, in the 80's and 90's, nobody gave a crap about Gottlieb- at all. It was all Bally/Williams, and there was an abundance of Gotlieb pins, and their parts floating around. The prices were low, and it eventually took time to realize which pins were in fact rare or hard to find and the prices later dictated this.
Spirit is a fine example.

Todd Tuckey of TNT amusements told me he had 6 Spirits, and they were bought and sold for dirt $$$
Another local guy I know shared a story on passing on two different Spirits, about 10-15 years ago, because they were $1500...

#33 3 years ago

Punk perfectly personifies 1982 imho.

I certainly agree with that~

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Norm:

I certainly agree with that~

Norm, any ideas on its last whereabouts?:)

It would be nice if any other former punk owners would chime in.
Iike to gauge how many reside in North America.

#35 3 years ago

Schusler, besides wanting to find a bargain (and who doesn't?
What are you looking to spend on one? Not that mine is for sale, but I'm curious as to what someone else would pay to land one. I know how much I was willing to go for one....

#36 3 years ago

Schusler, besides wanting to find a bargain (and who doesn't?
What are you looking to spend on one? Not that mine is for sale, but I'm curious as to what someone else would pay to land one. I know how much I was willing to go for one....

James, I was close to buying one for 1.5k some years back (and his was nice)...Factoring in pinflation and the amount of people wanting one, probably would go 2k'ish but it really has to be a nice example at this level.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Norm, any ideas on its last whereabouts?:)
It would be nice if any other former punk owners would chime in.
Iike to gauge how many reside in North America.

Oh God, it's been so long ago I can barely remember...I used to see this title often enough up until the mid-1990's...In my opinion, these were most likely parted out or worse yet, broken up & destroyed. Gottlieb/Premiers of that era had a HUGE attrition rate. In fact I can remember an operator I knew fairly well used to send these "out back" to get parted and busted up. He never liked Gottlieb/Premier titles and sent quite a few to an early grave. Keep in mind, though, that this is when you'd get a pin of that era for maybe-100-150 dollars.
Have you ever played this in PinMame?

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Norm:

Oh God, it's been so long ago I can barely remember...I used to see this title often enough up until the mid-1990's...In my opinion, these were most likely parted out or worse yet, broken up & destroyed. Gottlieb/Premiers of that era had a HUGE attrition rate. In fact I can remember an operator I knew fairly well used to send these "out back" to get parted and busted up. He never liked Gottlieb/Premier titles and sent quite a few to an early grave. Keep in mind, though, that this is when you'd get a pin of that era for maybe-100-150 dollars.
Have you ever played this in PinMame?

Norm, unfortunately Pinmame is my only refuge for accessibility to this pin.

I'm infatuated w/ this version; I can only imagine the real thing!

#39 3 years ago

Casual bump....

#40 3 years ago

Formal bump... ?

#41 3 years ago

Love the game bump.

Steve

#42 2 years ago

Interesting little info here bump...

Went to the New England Pinball tournament this weekend ''PinMaineia'', and talked to many of the usuals. I have been asking many random people about Punk! and 9 out of 10 people have not even heard of the game, never mind seen it. I find this fact very interesting, because I feel that by not knowing about it, it is under appreciated among the pin community.

I did talk to one buddy of mine, a gameplan lover, pin hunter and tech, and he of course confirmed that it is among the most difficult and nearly impossible pins to aquire.

I honestly enjoy having this in my possesion from a rarity stand point, more than when I had Cactus Canyon for what it's worth

#43 2 years ago

James, I use the guy above your post as a Gottlieb researcher/historian.

I went to IPDB just now I had to look in the production #. According to them, it's 959. Well, make it that 958 since I'm sitting right next to a playfield for one. I'm wondering how many of these babies were destroyed due to earnings. I have to admit, I know a select few of us dig the gameplay, but I can see how others would see it as blah...

Curious on this though... excluding the real rare ones (krull, Goin Nut, et. al) what would be the ranking of the rarest not according to numbers but how many you have come across personally.

Lets stick to this era.

A lot of us can say Spirit then...
Punk
Striker
Amazon Hunt
Royal Flush Deluxe
Qbert's Quest...
Rocky

It's tough...For me I can flip Spirit w/ Punk and or Striker then
Amazon Hunt
Royal Flush Deluxe
Super Orbit

I didn't realize but there is some ones I have seen only once or never run across besides Punk.

#44 2 years ago

Chris,
of the System 80A games on your list, the one's I don't have are Amazon Hunt (didn't care for the art work) and Super Orbit (didn't care for the game play). The EM versions of them seem to play more true to me. I'd probably buy them if they fell in my lap though.

Steve

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

James, I use the guy above your post as a Gottlieb researcher/historian.
I went to IPDB just now I had to look in the production #. According to them, it's 959. Well, make it that 958 since I'm sitting right next to a playfield for one. I'm wondering how many of these babies were destroyed due to earnings. I have to admit, I know a select few of us dig the gameplay, but I can see how others would see it as blah...
Curious on this though... excluding the real rare ones (krull, Goin Nut, et. al) what would be the ranking of the rarest not according to numbers but how many you have come across personally.
Lets stick to this era.
A lot of us can say Spirit then...
Punk
Striker
Amazon Hunt
Royal Flush Deluxe
Qbert's Quest...
Rocky
It's tough...For me I can flip Spirit w/ Punk and or Striker then
Amazon Hunt
Royal Flush Deluxe
Super Orbit
I didn't realize but there is some ones I have seen only once or never run across besides Punk.

First, the guy above is a good dude, that has joined into get some system 80 tech stuff sorted out when I had a MGOW, so +1 to him.

Secondly- the list, and my experience.

Super orbit= not sure? Never really paid attention to it.
Royal Flush= yes, more than a few.
Amazon Hunt= yes, more than a few
Rocky= yes, more than a few, but still a tough bird to cage.
Qberts Quest= One I know for sure I saw for sale, possibly two.
Striker= Seen I believe two for sale.
Punk= Never, before that project popped up for sale on pinside. When that popped up, it reminded me, and it was just dumb luck I knew a guy with some mad connections to games. I figured it was worth a shot to ask and i got stupid lucky.

And yes, I believe more than a few of these got parted. In fact, the old vet/tech I talked to this weekend said that back in the day, a couple hundred bucks got you a routed Gottlieb from a vendor-if you were lucky to get it before they parted it out for a boneyard for other pins. As we all know, a semi populated playfield is a wealth of parts for most any game, and vedors were savvy to this. And many Gottliebs did poorly on route, especially from this era due to both being difficult to work on, and to games like Williams Space Shuttle competing with it...

If you were a casual pin player in 1984, would you have played Punk! or Space Shuttle with a toy shuttle on the playfield? Seeing as there was no ''nostalgia'' involved at the time, I probably would have plopped a couple in Punk! but would have spent the rest of the milk money on the Space Shuttle

Interesting, you have a playfield? Tell me more!

#46 2 years ago

Reading this thread I'm missing my Striker now. Wish I hadn't sold it now I must have got bored with the gameplay as I only keep games that I really enjoy playing or have sentimental value. Can't keep 'em all! Still got my Q*Bert tho

#47 2 years ago

I am keeping my eyes peeled for you Schusler!

#48 2 years ago

Thanks fellas for the support!

I bet you guys get sick of seeing this thread periodically bumped! Believe me I am too!

#49 2 years ago

First, the guy above is a good dude, that has joined into get some system 80 tech stuff sorted out when I had a MGOW, so +1 to him.
Secondly- the list, and my experience.
Super orbit= not sure? Never really paid attention to it.
Royal Flush= yes, more than a few.
Amazon Hunt= yes, more than a few
Rocky= yes, more than a few, but still a tough bird to cage.
Qberts Quest= One I know for sure I saw for sale, possibly two.
Striker= Seen I believe two for sale.
Punk= Never, before that project popped up for sale on pinside. When that popped up, it reminded me, and it was just dumb luck I knew a guy with some mad connections to games. I figured it was worth a shot to ask and i got stupid lucky.
And yes, I believe more than a few of these got parted. In fact, the old vet/tech I talked to this weekend said that back in the day, a couple hundred bucks got you a routed Gottlieb from a vendor-if you were lucky to get it before they parted it out for a boneyard for other pins. As we all know, a semi populated playfield is a wealth of parts for most any game, and vedors were savvy to this. And many Gottliebs did poorly on route, especially from this era due to both being difficult to work on, and to games like Williams Space Shuttle competing with it...
If you were a casual pin player in 1984, would you have played Punk! or Space Shuttle with a toy shuttle on the playfield? Seeing as there was no ''nostalgia'' involved at the time, I probably would have plopped a couple in Punk! but would have spent the rest of the milk money on the Space Shuttle
Interesting, you have a playfield? Tell me more!

James, this playfield came from a fella on Ebay. It was a few years back.

I asked him the whereabouts for the rest of the pin - he didn't have a clue.

1 week later
#50 2 years ago

Still looking...

There are 63 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 1,078 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.