Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20131023_164814_791.jpg
f10.jpg
f13.jpg
f09.jpg
f01.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I'm looking for a 1979 Williams Flash in the Houston area. I'd prefer to find one with a decent backglass, as most everything else can be repaired.

#2 10 years ago

First time i've ever seen a "WTB Flash" thread.

Good luck on the hunt!

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

First time i've ever seen a "WTB Flash" thread

LOL, true. Yeah - I know there are plenty out there. I used to own a pretty nice example, but sold it a while back. I miss it - Flash has a lot of sentimental value to me.

#4 10 years ago

I have one in Austin that could be available and come down for the Houston Expo.

I currently have a RD MPU327 in it and the ps has been rebuilt.

The playfield has one minor wear spot by the third flipper and it needs to be shopped and have the inserts leveled.
Over all the pf is pretty nice,

The bg is shot.

let me know if you have any interest

--Jeff

#5 10 years ago

Repro BG's I believe are now available...

#6 10 years ago

Way2wyrd - thanks for the offer, but I'd prefer to find one with a decent backglass. Unless...

Quoted from burningman:

Repro BG's I believe are now available

can you point me in the right direction? ...I've not seen any.

#7 10 years ago

I know CPR did a run and i missed out. Someone has got to have them for sale.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Someone has got to have them for sale

I've searched and emailed like crazy - no luck yet. You can find flaking, scratched, faded ones on ebay - but I haven't seen any good quality ones recently. Seems like a good candidate for a CPR re-run, IMHO.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I've searched and emailed like crazy - no luck yet. You can find flaking, scratched, faded ones on ebay - but I haven't seen any good quality ones recently. Seems like a good candidate for a CPR re-run, IMHO.

Did you try Steve @ Mayfair? The problem is a repro BG would be almost half the value of the machine. Tough to justify that sort of spend on a Flash.

viperrwk

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Did you try Steve @ Mayfair?

Unfortunately, their email kicked back. I just tried again, and got this:

[email protected]
A problem occurred during the delivery of this message to this e-mail address. Try sending this message again. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

[email protected]
A problem occurred during the delivery of this message to this e-mail address. Try sending this message again. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Unfortunately, their email kicked back. I just tried again, and got this:
[email protected]
[email protected]

He almost never responds to emails. Best to call him and talk directly.

718-417-5050

viperrwk

#12 10 years ago

Flash is an awesome game, and a classic. I sold mine 2 weeks ago, and miss it already. Good luck!

#13 10 years ago

I put blue LEDS in the GI of my Flash prior to selling it. Looked AWESOME that way. Highly recommend it. I think it only took about 30 or so. I think I used Blue superbrites from Coin..

1 week later
#14 10 years ago

I found one!! ...well actually, a fellow Pinsider PM'd me. He has a project Flash that needs a lot of work, but it does have a good looking backglass. The price was very reasonable (IMHO). I don't want to post too many details, as I won't be able to pick it up until Saturday and I don't want to jinx it (or have someone else try to slip in and offer more). I will say it's missing the MPU, driver and main display boards, and was stored for many years with no glass. Here's a teaser pic. I'm sure I'll start a repair/restore thread eventually.

f01.jpgf01.jpg f09.jpgf09.jpg
#15 10 years ago

I bet you that will clean up real nice.

#16 10 years ago

wow, nice looking backglass, congrats!

#17 10 years ago

Yep, nice backglass and protective layer of dirt, lol...

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from GListOverflow:

Yep, nice backglass and protective layer of dirt

Yep - I'm so excited to pick it up Saturday. The BG isn't perfect - but it's the best example I've seen in a long time. The seller wiped off a small spot with Novus 2, and it looks like it will clean up nicely. It's dirty, but there's not much playfield wear at all. The biggest issue I saw was the missing boards, and it's been sitting unprotected for a LONG time - so there's some rust to deal with. Regardless, it was exactly what I was looking for, and I'm super excited to start working on it.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I found one!! ... I will say it's missing the MPU, driver and main display boards,

I am restoring a Gorgar and have the main display board. I never tested it. I just popped in new displays. If you're interested...PM me. I think FLASH is System 6

-Rev

#20 10 years ago

PM on it's way! Thanks!! ...and how many times can I say PINSIDE ROCKS!!!

#21 10 years ago

Flash is an awesome game! Was actually my first and made me fall into the deep, never ending void that is pinball collecting. I remember reading Steve Ritchie made the design up on a napkin on one of his flights. Come to think of it - it was probably(?) the first game with his famous 3 flipper design as seen in STTNG, New Star Trek, etc. I have a spare playfield and a spare backglass for it if you need anything (plastics, pops etc.)

Have fun!

#22 10 years ago

Thanks Galdaien! I suspect after I start the teardown, I'll have a long list of things I need. If you open the pic of the playfield posted above, you can see some rust on the upper lane guides, upper arch. If I can't get that polished up, I'll be looking for replacements.

#23 10 years ago

That should clean up pretty well from the looks of it. I have the sling plastics, etc. and probably anything else that is missing =). Just let me know if/when you need them.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

I think FLASH is System 6

I think they were released as both 4 and 6, though not sure if that matters if so much is being replaced.

Quoted from Galdaien:

I have a spare playfield and a spare backglass for it if you need anything

Don't offer him that backglass, his is already too nice . Mine is ok but a flaky mess at the reds and I'm looking to upgrade if it's cost effective. If you are looking to sell please PM me the details.

#25 10 years ago

Great deal. I put a MPU327 rottendog in mine and rebuilt the orig powersupply.

Its a fun one

--Jeff

#26 10 years ago

I have power supply boards... let me know if u need some...dan

#27 10 years ago

On Saturday, I made the drive from Houston to Austin to pick up Flash. MANY THANKS to Pinsider Big70 who PM'd me about a project Flash he was wiling to sell at a VERY reasonable price. He was super nice, and showed me around his shop - he has about 50 or more pins in various states of repair. He was also kind enough to look around, and set me up with a nice set of legs, and a decent playfield glass - which also saved me a decent chunk of change.

I also want to say THANKS to Pinsider revmex, who sold me a master display driver, four displays and all the cables - again at a VERY reasonable price.

As you can see from the pics, the backglass is in really good shape. I spent a good part of Sunday stripping the playfield, cleaning up the cabinet, tumbling parts - gave the playfield a once over with Novus. Overall I'm VERY happy with the purchase, and looking forward to getting it up and running.

f13.jpgf13.jpg
f10.jpgf10.jpg

#28 10 years ago

Nice glass. Mine wishes it looked like that

IMG_20131023_164814_791.jpgIMG_20131023_164814_791.jpg
#29 10 years ago

Trust me (unless you hate LEDS): Order about 30 Blue superbrites from Coin Taker and do the GI. Looks WONDERFUL.

#30 10 years ago

Congrats. By sure and post pics when you are finished cleaning it up.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I also want to say THANKS to Pinsider revmex, who sold me a master display driver, four displays and all the cables

wow. all parts look intact so I'm sure it shouldn't be trouble to get it up and running. Good luck!

-Rev

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-1979-williams-flash-houston-area and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.