Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2916 (resized).JPG
IMG_2888 (resized).JPG
IMG_2886 (resized).JPG
IMG_2883 (resized).JPG
IMG_2881 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I tried this on the AFM thread, but got no takers. Here's hoping that the larger group can help me please:

I have some issues with my 3 Bank Target motor, so I ordered one from Marco. The old motor is leaking oil, so I thought that it was time to replace it. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-8023 Marco claims that this fits AFM and Jackbot.

Installing the new motor was easy as it fits perfectly in the target motor bracket. But as I took the motor out of my AFM, I found that the Shaft on the new motor was larger than the original (I think) motor that I had in my machine. The new motor will not fit the existing cam for the assembly. So, to sum it up, the original motor has a smaller shaft than the newer motor.

Has anyone run into this before? Or did Marco get the wrong motor for AFM? Maybe my cam fits the older motor and is not a standard AFM cam?

I just talked to Marco and they have sold 11 of these motors over the years, so they are not sure what is the issue.

IMG_2881 (resized).JPGIMG_2881 (resized).JPGIMG_2883 (resized).JPGIMG_2883 (resized).JPGIMG_2886 (resized).JPGIMG_2886 (resized).JPGIMG_2888 (resized).JPGIMG_2888 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

Bump to see if anyone can help with information...

#3 5 years ago

Funny, I have my motor and targets pulled from my AFM right now to clean everything. I was looking it over and you could try and remove the 3 screws and swap the shafts. If its packed with oil then it may be a big mess though. I could be wrong.

It may be easier to return and buy from Planetary Pinball or another source until you get the right one. You could try shaving it down but that sounds like a PIA.

#4 5 years ago

That is the right motor part #.

Do you have calipers to check the hole of the cam and diameter of the shaft?
It probably wouldn’t take much to just drill the cam.

#5 5 years ago

Sorry, I don't.

#6 5 years ago

Take the old one apart..... If its easy enough swap the plate and the shaft. If not send it back.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks. i was away for work training, but I appreciate the comments.

i will look into taking the motor apart and see what gives. I wasn't thinking about drilling the cam due to "what if I have to replace it again, and the motor shaft is smaller on the new one?"

I'm going to take some measurements to see what the two shaft sizes are and post them here. Might as well be helpful to the team if someone else runs into this issue.

2 weeks later
#8 5 years ago

To the group,

I delayed this for awhile so that I could get to the bottom of the motor. jfesler was nice enough to let me ruin (jk) his AFM and check out his motor.

It turns out that he has the same motor with the smaller shaft as I do. The Marco replacement has the larger shaft and will not work with the original cam.

First one is the jfesler one, the second is mine and the third is the Marco. Measurement of the original shaft size is shown below.

I will contact Marco and see if they need to adjust their motor suppliers.

IMG_2916 (resized).JPGIMG_2916 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 37.50
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrong-motor-cam-for-afm-3-bank-target and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.