(Topic ID: 169514)

Wrinkling decals - suggestions to repair ?

By PinballSTAR

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jellikit
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

535-0599-00 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1549 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1548 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1551 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1550 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I had a number of my games restored over the years with new decals and many of them are wrinkling. Before I attempt repair, any suggestions ? How to ? Products to use ? Just leave alone for fear of making worse ? We did attempt heat gun and trying to flatten ones not at legs, but not much luck. TY ! Joe

IMG_1550 (resized).JPGIMG_1550 (resized).JPG

IMG_1551 (resized).JPGIMG_1551 (resized).JPG

IMG_1548 (resized).JPGIMG_1548 (resized).JPG

IMG_1549 (resized).JPGIMG_1549 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Those look repairable, though I'm not sure about the AFM one. That just looks like a poor decal job. The others have the open edge of the decal that allows it to be repositioned. Heat gun (low heat)+patience+stern metal protectors = hard to notice once fixed. Get the material laid back down. Don't get it too hot and don't over work it. Once smooth. Put the metal protector on and trace the perimeter with an exacto. Remove stern protector and pull the cut decal out. Reinstall protector then the leg.

#3 7 years ago

What if you dont cut around the sterm protector, do they wrinkle?

#4 7 years ago

Yes. The idea with the stern protectors is to isolate the leg/cab connection from contact with the decals.

#5 7 years ago

Strangely enough the AFM just appeared - wasn't like that originally...

I will try the suggestions... Thanks guys !

#6 7 years ago

Joe-I think the IJ is so far gone you should get rid of the game. I'd probably do you the favor of taking it off your hands.

#7 7 years ago

This usually happens if one uses the 'wet' decal method versus the 'dry' method - but not always.

Use a hair dryer and heat it up, press is flat with a squeegee, then put leg protectors on then (the plastic kind that stick out past the legs).

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

This usually happens if one uses the 'wet' decal method versus the 'dry' method - but not always

Could be the case. Hard to really tell from the pic, but the AFM prep work under the decal seems like it isn't that smooth. This would make it harder for the decal to properly adhere.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

then put leg protectors on then (the plastic kind that stick out past the legs).

I strongly advise against using pincab protectors.

#10 7 years ago

Buy these, and only these, protectors:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2711

(always start with a rear leg, so your learning process is far from the more visible front)

Take one leg off at a time.

Gently warm decal with hair dryer.

Gently peel decal back past the wrinkle.

Do not stretch decal.

Smooth decal back down with squeegee, do not rub off ink from decal.

Place metal protector over decal.

Trace protector with a razor blade at an angle so that you are cutting 2mm away from the protector.

Install protector, note how it fits just INSIDE your cut line.

Reinstall leg. Do not put any plastic or felt **protector** on the game.

Move to the next.

535-0599-00 (resized).jpg535-0599-00 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Yep. I've even installed these on cabinets that originally had decals instead of screened cabs, just to prevent the wrinkle from showing up. Love em. Glad PBL is still carrying the metal ones...

#12 7 years ago

1. Fly Bryan Kelly into town.
    2. Take him to Peking Chef and get him some Chinese food.
    3. Grab some beer (craft, mass-produced, whatever).
    4. Get Bryan drunk and listen to his stories for a few hours.
    5. Bryan will pass out and in his sleep he will fix all your wrinkled cabinets.
    6. There will be no need to get anything a hangover, his body is no longer affected by alcohol.
    7. Take him to The Olde House Cafe for breakfast.
    8. Send him back to Minnesota with a smile on both of your faces.

Brad

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

1. Fly Bryan Kelly into town.
    2. Take him to Peking Chef and get him some Chinese food.
    3. Grab some beer (craft, mass-produced, whatever).
    4. Get Bryan drunk and listen to his stories for a few hours.
    5. Bryan will pass out and in his sleep he will fix all your wrinkled cabinets.
    6. There will be no need to get anything a hangover, his body is no longer affected by alcohol.
    7. Take him to The Olde House Cafe for breakfast.
    8. Send him back to Minnesota with a smile on both of your faces.
    Brad

Brad -
    Ok I'm all for hanging out with Bryan any day of the week - I am never NOT smiling after an encounter with him... But, how the hell do you know about Peking Chef and Old House Cafe ?
    Joe

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Brad -
    Ok I'm all for hanging out with Bryan any day of the week - I am never NOT smiling after an encounter with him... But, how the hell do you know about Peking Chef and Old House Cafe ?
    Joe

Do you ever feel like somebody's watching you... and please be careful how fast you drive on Machell Ave.

Brad

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrinkling-decals-suggestions-to-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.