(Topic ID: 106100)

Wrath of Olympus: PLAYed it at EXPO! WOW!!!!!!!

By Whysnow

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fast-times.jpg
reduced.jpg
image-966.jpg
image-789.jpg
can you count suckers the future is ours if you can count.JPG
hwawonyu-making-it-rain.gif
image.jpg
20141016_104524.jpg
grammer silentlee.png
bumper3.jpg
bumper2.jpg
bumper1.jpg
shot map.jpg
There are 567 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 12.
#301 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Can we get an anti modesty feature that shows more boobs?

There was some banter about a match sequence for adult mode being Medusa pealing off her top and shaking her money makers, lol

#302 9 years ago

So for those who've played WOOLY, how was the gameplay/design? Was it challenging in the aspect of keeping the ball in play? Or was it more lotr'ish where the challenge is in the ruleset? Or maybe a bit hybrid/both?

TIA
SKB

#303 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So for those who've played WOOLY, how was the gameplay/design? Was it challenging in the aspect of keeping the ball in play? Or was it more lotr'ish where the challenge is in the ruleset? Or maybe a bit hybrid/both?
TIA
SKB

I'd be interested in an answer to this as well.

The gameplay video looked great, but ball times were long.

#304 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'd say it was a combination of both. It played very fast for a widebody, and the ball times didn't seem particularly long. Rules are deep.

#305 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The gameplay video looked great, but ball times were long.

I guess I suck then. My ball times were short.

#306 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Or maybe a bit hybrid/both?

Great shots so yes you focus on that but the rules match the shots and keep you driving forward. Cant stress enough how good this game is.

I went to Expo to meet that gang and was done as far as my collection.

Left thinking I would trade everything to own WOOLY, TBL and Heighway. Wooly is the deep TZ Game with better art. TBL the MM and Heighway the fast and furious HSII/AFM.

Wooly possibly will end up being the best overall game though. There is a lot going on.

#307 9 years ago

Yeah I agree the game does not play like a wide body at all. As much as I'm a wide body fan I think this is a good thing.

#308 9 years ago

challenging ruleset and challenging shots.

I put on atleast 10 games and watched another 30. Shots take a while to get the hang of but are repeatable yet still a challenge once you learn them. The farthest I saw anyone get was probably 1/3 of the way deep and they did not really do a good job in the modes as they got there.

Not many right lane drains as you can nudge back in but they had the tilt set loose for a better show experience. Most drains went left or center. Some dangerous but required shots liek the white standups and the center drop is perfectly designed for risk/reward. Combos will be the king on this game and it is surely the best flowing widebody ever made!

I think a noob can still fumble there way through som modes (and there are a TON of modes), but an expert will still be challenged to play well in the modes and get deeper in the game.

I would say ruleset and design are providing some good lastability.

If anything I would call it similar to ST where some modes are just to hit a set of shots and the more challenging modes are to hit shots in order/ with hurry up/ as combo. Lots of different strategy to play this game is seems and just play lots of shots and geometry going on here.

#309 9 years ago

From picking Frank's brain it also seems like he has a decent bit more to add to make the ruleset even deeper. frank knows what he is doing and seems to be open to suggestion and making things better. I figure he has another year to code while focus will shift to physical part acquisition and manufacture for Scott. Then another round of tweaks after games start to get into the hands of owners and play/discover more bugs or things that bubble to the surface when we can all get a deeper dive.

#310 9 years ago

My ball times were long, Frank told me one time he was sweating to make sure that all of things that were supposed to activate were activating... they really want to make sure all the bugs are out of the code before they ship... I need a long lost rich Uncle to die or something because I NEED this game!

#311 9 years ago
Quoted from sensfreak:

The cut off date for the 100 is Feb 2015.

They should really consider bumping that to making the cut-off the end of March and bringing a game to TPF. A lot of people there that don't go to Expo that could be buyers. Hard to buy something sight unseen in person these days and this may help sell a few more if not sold out. I'm out of the market due to cost but offering this feedback to try and help.

#312 9 years ago

That date is more innaccurate info.

go here for real details

http://riotpinball.com/node/6

o1 Jan for intitial 100 go/no go. Then 01 Feb for rest of deposit for those that are in.
so long as 100 committed by 01 Jan then all good.

#313 9 years ago

Thanks for feedback on gameplay. And regarding gameplay/design, how forgiving are missed shots? One thing I love (and hate even) about newer sterns is how brutal a missed shot is. For example, missed shots on ACDC, STLE, Metallica, return to the flippers and lanes FAST giving the player a fraction of a second to react and keep the ball in play. From what I've read, I gather wooly has this quick style of reaction based pin play (even for a wide body)? Thanks again

#314 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I played it Thursday.
Fun game. Lot of shots. Seemed to shot pretty well and had good flow.
I didn't quite know what was going on as I didn't know the rules
My only complaint just because I have young kids are Medusa's nude Ta-Tas on the playfield.
Probably won't be a deal breaker for most but would be hard to explain to my wife.

I've updated my main Wrath of Olympus build thread with more information - but to address your concern directly - we will be able to offer our customers a choice between the original vision for WOOLY and a family friendly version without nudity on the playfield, plastics, and DMD animations.

#315 9 years ago

I was pleasantly surprised by the videos I saw. I think this game looks pretty darn cool!

#316 9 years ago

I went to expo with NO intention to buy, or frankly even like this game. I didn't see much in the videos that made me want it. Plus, I like mythology, but I don't $8K love it.

That said, when the wife and I played it and we LOVED it so much we ordered one same day. I don't really like games like No Fear and Demo Man that are all ramps and never-ending flow. I like a little more of a mix between a shooter's game, some required thinking, and some flow as well. The videos made me think this would be like Demo Man with all the ramps, but it didn't feel that way at all.

Lots of ramps and flow, but the modes had a lot of variety. Hurry-ups, combos, etc. I didn't know what I was doing most of the time, so I'll definitely need to get cozy with the rules down the line. I'm not sure how much was explained on the display as I was focused on keeping the ball moving. Speaking of the display, I really wish it had a color display like BoP 2.0 will have, especially for the price point. BoP started as a monochrome DMD, but they were able to switch over to full-color (and I think now they're shipping with LCDs). They used PROC too, so maybe this is an option? Regardless, ultimately it was the fun-factor that won us over.

Ball times were long-ish, especially if you get a groove hitting shots, but I definitely would not call this LoTR ball times though. To me, with all the tough, short ball time, flow games around now, I welcome a longer game that allows you to explore a more involved ruleset.

#317 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Thanks for feedback on gameplay. And regarding gameplay/design, how forgiving are missed shots? One thing I love (and hate even) about newer sterns is how brutal a missed shot is. For example, missed shots on ACDC, STLE, Metallica, return to the flippers and lanes FAST giving the player a fraction of a second to react and keep the ball in play. From what I've read, I gather wooly has this quick style of reaction based pin play (even for a wide body)? Thanks again

Missed shots will punish you. Also, very quick return to flipper and the round-a-bout by the lower pop bumper is super quick and keeps you on your toes.

The stand ups and drop all are in your face mean when you screw up. However, you also need to pick the shots as they are all used in the game. A missed shot fromt he upper right flipper means the ball is going to come out to the right sling and then you are going to need to react.

A clean made shot feels just amazing. I hit the upper inner loop to upper ramp combo once and it was butter smooth.

This game really is asome great physical risk/reward combined with ruleset (what I could see) risk/reward.

#318 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Great shots so yes you focus on that but the rules match the shots and keep you driving forward. Cant stress enough how good this game is.
I went to Expo to meet that gang and was done as far as my collection.
Left thinking I would trade everything to own WOOLY, TBL and Heighway. Wooly is the deep TZ Game with better art. TBL the MM and Heighway the fast and furious HSII/AFM.
Wooly possibly will end up being the best overall game though. There is a lot going on.

That's a great summary and I love your analogy Dave!

It really makes me wish all three of those pins were available for immediate purchase!

#319 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Wooly is the deep TZ Game with better art.

I get the analogy you're going for regarding rule depth. However, for those that have not played this, make no mistake, this game is NOT stop-and-go like TZ. I wouldn't call this game a flow monster, but it's got much more than TZ.

#320 9 years ago

Pretty cool looking game. I wonder if they will be traveling to either of the Texas shows so we could try it out in person.

#321 9 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Pretty cool looking game. I wonder if they will be traveling to either of the Texas shows so we could try it out in person.

If they want to take it there I would be willing to drive it down and back. I need a good excuse to go to TPF.

#322 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If they want to take it there I would be willing to drive it down and back. I need a good excuse to go to TPF.

You may as well quit your job and get on their payroll ... You're already their number one salesman!

rd.

#323 9 years ago

I think the game sells itself. I am happy to help out anyone doing what these guys are trying to do.

Heck, maybe I could take a WOOLY and a AMH to TPF?

#324 9 years ago

Hey man, as someone with a new preorder in I certainly appreciate the cheerleading Whysnow is doing. The more attention the game gets, the better chances it will make it to production.

#325 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You may as well quit your job and get on their payroll ... You're already their number one salesman!

rd.

Dude, I just saw your game room pics...mind boggling. My friend you are living the dream.

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Dude, I just saw your game room pics...mind boggling. My friend you are living the dream.

I know the perfect game to round his collection up to an even 100!

#327 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Quoted from Whysnow:

I know the perfect game to round his collection up to an even 100!

Man, I had 120 but I culled the herd.

I have about 6 oldies coming from the States at the moment but I don't add them to my collection until they are safely in my gamesroom.

rd.

#328 9 years ago

Funny Part Dave...

If you were at expo you would have seriously loved WOOLY. Pretty much everyone I know that played it was super impressed and had a big smile on their face. Really a great player!

That combined with your affinity for the unique and unusual means this is a must have. It would be a perfect contrast to some of the other titles in your collection.

#329 9 years ago

this game was fun! probably my 3rd favorite overall behind TBL and AMH (this is subject to change). i played a significant game on it starting i think 6 monsters and almost getting multi ball a couple of times. its seemed like whenever i was playing the guy that built the game was saying, "oh, oh! great you got (x) now shoot this!". however the timers for whatever that shot was at the time were extremely quick. most of the time it felt like 10 sec.

overall loved the art package, loved the flow/feel, dots were good(hope we see more in this area though), interested to see where the coding goes on this game.

#330 9 years ago

bump.

Go watch the video of this game if you have not already done so!

#331 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Funny Part Dave...
If you were at expo you would have seriously loved WOOLY. Pretty much everyone I know that played it was super impressed and had a big smile on their face. Really a great player!
That combined with your affinity for the unique and unusual means this is a must have. It would be a perfect contrast to some of the other titles in your collection.

Hey, no doubt! I like the look of a lot of the new machines. I'm on the mailing list for AMH and Whoaaaaaaa Nelly.

But I'm over spending $8000 USD on machines.

Remember it's worse for me, the NZ dollar has dropped on the USA so it'd be $12,000 (plus) NZD landed in my house.

$12,000 in NZ buys a lot of used machines. Same as $8000 usd buys a lot of used machines in Wisconsin.

So we've gone full circle, back to my first post in this thread. If it was $5500 like AMH, I'd probably be a buyer. But I can't swing $8000.

rd.

#332 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

So we've gone full circle, back to my first post in this thread. If it was $5500 like AMH, I'd probably be a buyer. But I can't swing $8000.

AMH is $6k.

#333 9 years ago

Closer to 5500 than 8000 though.

I thought it was originally $5600? Dunno. It's been a while.

rd.

#334 9 years ago

Bump, let's get the preorders to 100.

#335 9 years ago
Quoted from sensfreak:

Bump, let's get the preorders to 100.

Seriously folks. This game is epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#336 9 years ago

I sent Matt@BackAlleyCreations an email asking if he would consider making marble-like columns for the upper palled to replace the metal ones that are there. I think that would look pretty cool

#337 9 years ago

I would wait till he redesigns Smaug....

#338 9 years ago

Watched the video. Can anyone explain why so many inserts flash at the same time?

#339 9 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

Watched the video. Can anyone explain why so many inserts flash at the same time?

I would love to tell you why the inserts are flashing at the same time! WOOLY is feature rich with lots of stuff to shoot for and accomplish without having to start anything special first. The orange inserts around the center of the playfield are tied to the stand up targets - these targets are used for lighting the main mode start as well as the special monster hurry-ups! The fire lamps in the middle are blinking to indicate that those shots have yet to be hit to light the bonus multiplier shots. Once all the fire lamps are completed the next flip to a fire lamp shot will light the bonus multiplier for that shot for the rest of the ball. Otherwise the other inserts blinking are meant to indicate other critical game features such as the kick-back and HADES hurry-up on the right side or the pandora targets on the left that light the locks to the pandora physical ball lock as well as the mystery pandora award.

#340 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I would love to tell you why the inserts are flashing at the same time! WOOLY is feature rich with lots of stuff to shoot for and accomplish without having to start anything special first. The orange inserts around the center of the playfield are tied to the stand up targets - these targets are used for lighting the main mode start as well as the special monster hurry-ups! The fire lamps in the middle are blinking to indicate that those shots have yet to be hit to light the bonus multiplier shots. Once all the fire lamps are completed the next flip to a fire lamp shot will light the bonus multiplier for that shot for the rest of the ball. Otherwise the other inserts blinking are meant to indicate other critical game features such as the kick-back and HADES hurry-up on the right side or the pandora targets on the left that light the locks to the pandora physical ball lock as well as the mystery pandora award.

soooooo....what you're saying is there's a shitload of shit to do?

#341 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

soooooo....what you're saying is there's a shitload of shit to do?

Lol. Yes, our game has plenty to keep everyone busy, even the most skilled players will have fun finding new and unique things during each game play.

#342 9 years ago

Are there any big super jackpots to be had in WOOLY with a medium to high difficulty to achieve? perhaps multiball super jackpots or a big progressive like hurry-up jackpot? Or is there a jackpot buildup that happens per ball that can be cashed in by completing a specific shot/combo/mode?

Curiosity is striking SKB

#343 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Are there any big super jackpots to be had in WOOLY with a medium to high difficulty to achieve? perhaps multiball super jackpots or a big progressive like hurry-up jackpot? Or is there a jackpot buildup that happens per ball that can be cashed in by completing a specific shot/combo/mode?
Curiosity is striking SKB

Yes! Every multiball has it's own unique jackpot shots - some build towards a super jackpot where as some have super jackpots inherent in them - take ZEUS multiball for instance - lower ramps all score jackpots and upper ramp is a super jackpot. Minotaur multiball builds jackpots at the center shot growing until a super jackpot to complete for big points. Pandora multiball increases jackpot values based on balls locked during multiball. The great thing about our game and our business model is that we are open to and committed to making the best game we can - software updates based on customer feedback is taken very seriously and good ideas are welcomed and encouraged.

#344 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Yes! Every multiball has it's own unique jackpot shots - some build towards a super jackpot where as some have super jackpots inherent in them - take ZEUS multiball for instance - lower ramps all score jackpots and upper ramp is a super jackpot. Minotaur multiball builds jackpots at the center shot growing until a super jackpot to complete for big points. Pandora multiball increases jackpot values based on balls locked during multiball. The great thing about our game and our business model is that we are open to and committed to making the best game we can - software updates based on customer feedback is taken very seriously and good ideas are welcomed and encouraged.

Awesome Scott, thanks for the feedback and quick reply

One thing I really liked while watching the latest (pre-expo) video is that the games design seems very supportive of multiballs, and its very refreshing to see so many diverse multiball modes that compliment the layout as well as theme. Good Work!

Im off to bed, but would like to spit out one more public question before I hit the sack and eventually move to PM/Email discussion ....
How goes the development for music sound tracks, additional sound bytes, and voice call outs?

Thanks

Steve

#345 9 years ago

Music, sound bites and voice call outs are going very well and are continually being updated and going through development.

#346 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Im off to bed, but would like to spit out one more public question before I hit the sack and eventually move to PM/Email discussion

Resistance is futile. Join the club!

#347 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Resistance is futile. Join the club!

I am honestly amazed that SKB is not already in. Anyone that loves STLE will find similar love in WOOLY. (not saying it is the same at all, but the great flow and decision making on the fly are VERY similar; WOOLY actually has better flow that ST).

#348 9 years ago

Scott,

What future plans do you guys have for promotion?
A video walk through of the game feautres, layout, modes, plans for future development, etc... would be really nice ot be able to show people.

Talking through the storyline and ball in hand instructions of the game could be nice.

Additional gameplay videos woudl also be good IMHO. I tried to take a few at expo but nothing came out good enough to share.

#349 9 years ago

My favorite game at expo, it played amazing.....so many cool shots

There are 567 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-play-it-at-expo/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.