myc-scanlines (resized).PNG
hydra-hit-scanlines (resized).PNG
medusa-start-scanlines (resized).PNG
minotaur-scan (resized).PNG
cronus-addtime-scanlines (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1824 Reminder of original build plans. Posted by T-800 (7 years ago)

Post #1829 Update that manufacturing options are still being considered. Posted by T-800 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#615 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

This is shameful folks! WOOLY was arguably the best game at expo. TBL got all the attention, but WOOLY was the shit. I certainly know there is pre-order fatigue (which I'm feeling on several fronts as well), but it will be a crime against humanity if this game doesn't get made because not enough people saw how good it will be.

It is a shame but 8k is a lot of money for a game you won't see until 2016 at the earliest, plus there's a lot of competition at that price point. I personally can't even consider it because of the price, it would have be $6kish or below for me to even look at it. TBL, Hobbit, anything from Jpop, MMr, this, etc are all non-starters for me because of the $8k price (and the fact that you may not get your game for 1+ years). Basically, it could be the greatest game ever but the price puts it out of my reach. I do support the little guys though, I have an AMH on order, but if it was $8k I wouldn't. Falling prices aren't helping either, $8k goes a lot farther than it did last year in the pinball world.

#618 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

3Q of 2015 for what? Starting to build them or deliver them? At a build rate of 2 games a week some of these will push into 2016.

Exactly. 50 games already ordered / 2 per week = 25 weeks + 3Q 2015 = 2016 at the very earliest for anyone ordering now unless production ramps up significantly. If you're the last of the 100, you'll be 3Q 2016 at the earliest (assuming everything goes smoothly).

This isn't much different than like the Hobbit, where if you're at the end of their 1500 list you probably won't get your LE till 2016 either...they're at 10 per day, only 1/2 of which are LE's assuming they do the same thing as they did on WoZ, so 5 LE's * 250 days = 1250 LE's per year = 2016 for late Hobbit orders over 1250.

#626 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I've owned a lot of games over the years, and before a few years ago, I never bought anything NIB. Frankly, it's absurd to spend this much money on stupid toys. I hate the direction the hobby has gone in this regard, but many of these cool games would not exist without the current pricing/pre-order model.
As for the competition at this price point, WOOLY holds its own at least. I'm more excited about P3 and Lexy, but at $10K for 2 games and future modules for a couple grand, you could argue it's either a higher or a lower price point. Short of that, I really feel WOOLY is the best thing coming out. At expo, TBL was the sexy game with the huge lines to play it, but WOOLY was WAY WAY better. I understand TBL doesn't have the rules yet, but in a couple games I didn't know any WOOLY rules anyway. Just based on how fun they were to shoot, WOOLY was the best game at expo bar none.

I agree, of the games coming out (TBL, Jpop, Hobbit, etc) I am more excited about WOOLY than anything else. I actually think it looks great, and if it was $6kish I'd be finding a way to scrounge together money for one. I just can't personally spend that much money for one, even if I think it's worth it (as this game appears to have tons going for it). I'm hoping that it gets built on the hope that someday down the road I can afford one.

10 months later
#1527 8 years ago

I don't see how a kit is impossible, you just have to do it in a certain way in order to limit technical support. Everyone on here is talking about how you have to assemble all the parts into kits, make instructions, wiring kits, etc...that's not how I would go about it, I would do it how the kit car companies do it (which is way more complicated to build than a pinball machine). Basically provide the parts to do it cosmetically (ramps, playfields, boards, decals) and then just provide rough instructions and part numbers for everything else...i.e. supply game specific parts, no manufacturing, take away the technical support aspect. Make a builders forum, let users talk among themselves to figure things out. You are only on the hook if the part is defective. If you supply complete kits, then you're on the hook for everything...so take that out of the equation entirely.

1 year later
#1798 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Logistical nightmare for support IMO. Only way it could be done is to sell a prepackaged blank pf, list of all the needed parts, and the code for X amount. EAch person has to sign off that there is zero support expected or given and good luck in your build. When you screw it up, don't contact riot. Aside from that it would be a mess, esp with the expectations combined with lack of skill of so many people that think they are capable.

Yes, building a pinball machine would be so much harder than building a factory five car or kit airplane, lol. The only reason the kits haven't worked so far in pinball is nobody has done it, which is ironic since assembling the machines is the worst part. If I was to ever to make my own pinball machine, I'd make it kit for sure because:

a) no warehouse needed for assembly
b) no workers needed for assembly
c) instead of having to support 100 games that I built, I now have 100 other owners doing the same thing that can help. Plus really I'm only supporting defective parts
d) I could contract all the parts out to other people for a license fee, meaning I could get the game produced without capital expenditure.

Basically, you eliminate risk and capital needed while still getting the game out much faster than you could have otherwise. If it works for cars and airplanes, things that are much more complicated and safety driven, then it's hard to see why it wouldn't work for pinball.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development?tu=taylor34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.