myc-scanlines (resized).PNG
hydra-hit-scanlines (resized).PNG
medusa-start-scanlines (resized).PNG
minotaur-scan (resized).PNG
cronus-addtime-scanlines (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1824 Reminder of original build plans. Posted by T-800 (7 years ago)

Post #1829 Update that manufacturing options are still being considered. Posted by T-800 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider t-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hello Forum! I feel like the last 15 years of pinball has been lacking a pinball design that's not based off of a hollywood license and photo-shopped pictures of actors - what happened to original themes? I decided about a year and a half ago that I would develop my own pinball machine with my own design, layout, artwork, and rule-set. I've always loved the Greek gods and ended up going with the theme “Wrath of Olympus.” The process started by first designing in digital space by creating a visual pinball table. That development has been a great success and has yielded what I find to be a very fun table to play. During the development process I purposely designed the table so that it could one day be made as a real, physical, pinball machine. Since the launch of the digital table (which can be found here, free to download for those interested: http://www.vpforums.org/ ) I have been modeling everything in 3D CAD to prepare for building it in real life.

I’m hoping this forum will help me in providing some advice on a few development options as I pursue building this in real life.

The first of which is the main controller electronics. There are a few options at my disposal (and probably a few I don’t even know about):

P-ROC: http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/p-roc
Pros – seems easy to work with, coding is supposed to be easier and more straight-forward, other code libraries available to help get started.
Cons – expensive.

Led Wiz with an IPAC and CPU
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=239
http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html
Pros – potentially less expensive, easier to set-up
Cons – not sure how everything actually integrates and works together…
Real world example of someone who built a table using these elements:
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=19838&hl=gyrus&st=0

Other options?

Thanks for reading – looking forward to a fun build project.

WOOLY.jpgWOOLY.jpg

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Talk to Kevin and Arron of Skit-B who are making Predator. They are using p roc and are doing amazing things with it

Funny you mention that - I found out about Predator a long time ago surfing the P-ROC development forum. Skit-B are good guys, I talked to them at length during the Chicago Expo. Hoping to get a bit more information from this forum as well.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Ramp on the left...the zigzag with hard corners... not sure how that works in virtual pin but that is asking for two things in reality:
1. Broken ramp.
2. Slow ball movement through that section.
I could see the movement being intended, but a fast shot to that ramp and the ball smacking into those hard corners? Yeah..... bleck!

Yeah - my CAD model for the real one will most likely have smooth edges. I may prototype both options just to see how it flows, but ramps cracking is one of my biggest concerns (just picked up a new set of CTFBL 'cause my old one's are all epoxied up).

#10 11 years ago

Thanks for the great ideas guys. Anyone have an opinion on the electronics??

5 months later
#13 10 years ago

Populated a very preliminary prototype whitewood made out of MDF to test the layout while the CNC'd playfield is being completed (can you guess what was photoshopped??). Plan on using a P-ROC to control everything.

Also started a new backglass - attached is the inked version before colors are added.

More pics to follow.
wooly_bg_inks.jpgwooly_bg_inks.jpg

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Very nice and what a project, wow!
Are you going to have an elevated shooter like the zaccaria games? Looks like the ball wouldn't be able to go up the shooter lane otherwise?

Plan is to have a slight ramp just like in the VP version that brings the ball up to plastic height and then curls around the top for your shot at three skill shots - hitting the upper little orbit loop, sending the ball around for a left flipper skill shot (similar to MM), and a very challenging one I added since the VP version called the Athena drop that is top center and diverts the ball over to a VUK that will send it straight up to the upper playfield. If you end up plunging too weak the ball will travel back down towards the shooter rod but then be diverted down to the right flipper similar to IJ (93').

#16 10 years ago

Backlit Playfield Pic...

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

4 months later
#31 10 years ago

Wow - nice to see some more interest in this! I plan on a BIG video update shortly (game is flipping, DMD is showing animations and scoring, and currently has a complete 3 ball routine programmed).

#39 10 years ago

Thanks guys. In any case, its nice to see Skit-B making a machine with real, hand drawn art as well.

#44 10 years ago

Time to bring pinside up to speed... (For more details check out the forum threads here:
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=805.0
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=21874&hl=wooly)

Keep in mind this is just a prototype pinball machine, hand made in my garage. The plastics and ramps are just the first stab at them to see how they'll work out and will quickly be replaced with much higher quality versions. There are also a few mechanical features left to work out as well as many other cosmetic items (obviously I'm not going to have a piece of cardboard holding up lights in my game! But it works great for quick and dirty testing!!)

Looking forward to showing this baby off at the Chicago expo along side the other P-ROC projects. This first video shows a quick peak at the attract mode for the lamp show so far, DMD animations, test mode, volume adjustment, and start of a new game and some switch/light/DMD interactions. I realize it may not seem like much to most, but from a development perspective it's been huge for me and the great guys that are helping out (Luvthatapex and S1500). Getting mechanical, electrical, software, and a display all working together in harmony is pretty damn exciting.

Hope you enjoy it!

#action=share

#45 10 years ago

More pics of the build... photo_1_(1).JPGphoto_1_(1).JPG photo_2_(2).JPGphoto_2_(2).JPG photo_3.JPGphoto_3.JPG

#46 10 years ago

Final Backglass:

back_glass.jpgback_glass.jpg

#47 10 years ago

Very first flips video:

#t=0

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

WOW amazing amazing work! The upper right flipper side ramp to upper playfield is fantastic! What is the upper left flipper for? Looks like possibly some touch targets on the right hand side or the shooter lane maybe? There are a lot of collectors that have been hoping for a non-licensed theme and this looks incredible! Love the mythology theme such a great choice!

Glad to hear the theme is resonating with everyone, it's always been a favorite of mine and there hasn't been a good Olympus theme probably since Medusa... (which is another game with incredible artwork...)

Nice eye on the flipper shots - when I designed the game I tried as hard as I could to make sure every flipper was relevant and not there just for show. The upper right flipper his three specific shots that can only be hit by it - an upper orbit similar to a High Speed loop, the obvious 3rd ramp shot to the upper playfield, and another shot to a drop target which opens a subsequent shot to the subway which feeds the VUK. The middle left flipper also has two unique shots - the most important being the "Pandora Reward" shot that can only be hit directly with this flipper, which you must hit to redeem the random Pandora award - this shot sends the ball orbiting back down around and to the left feeding the right flipper, sorta like how the temple feeds the right flipper in Williams' IJ. This flipper is also required for direct hits to the Pandora targets that light the reward shot. There's a safe escape like in IJ to help with this shot as it's dangerous (aiming just above the outlane essentially...) I've also found the flipper can also be useful for safer shots to the right ramp and VUK entrance (fewer SDTM's).

#77 10 years ago

Here's a little bit more of the build info:

While I may be fabricating and building this machine by myself in my garage, this project is by no means solo - just want to give another shout out to the awesome individuals who have been so generous with their time and helping me with the things I'm not so good at:

JP Salas - coding the VP table based on my ruleset - this guy is a VP legend!!
Luvthatapex and S1500 - coding the real deal
Mameman - Awesome CNC work
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/ - this forum rules!! Especially Gerry Stellenberg, he's been a huge help answering questions.

Onto Hardware:
Machine currently has 4 power supplies! One 50V supply for each set of flippers - I never wanted to have a weak flipper on any shot due to power constraints!

Speakers - flipper fidelity speakers and sub powered with an amp

General Hardware - Williams style rails, back box, hinge, door, flippers, etc.

Controller - P-ROC controller with three PD-16 boards

#81 10 years ago

Well, we will see how this prototype works out and find out if there's enough interest out there to make more. I've documented everything very well and will have complete CAD models, making a small production run at least a possibility.

The plan is to have the pin at the Chicago Pinball Expo - you should be able to play it there.

3 weeks later
#92 10 years ago

Quick update - custom CNC'd plastics came in, attached the high quality art and are installed. Custom made ramp guards as well to protect those ramps as best as possible. Playfield is nearly complete now (minus the flashers which will be implemented after expo along with some other cosmetic stuff). Hopefully will be stuffing this baby into the cabinet this weekend.

Also, for anyone interested in buying a Wrath of Olympus translite, just send me a PM. $100+shipping (or if you're going to Expo you can pick them up there for free!).

Hope to upload a decent game play video soon too. As of now we have all four monster and god modes programmed, a couple hurry up modes, kick-back, and pandora's box. Really quite a bit considering coding didn't really start until a couple months ago...

wooly_updated_plastics.jpgwooly_updated_plastics.jpg

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

that looks great! you wouldnt happen to bringing it to the mgc by chance?

I'm planning on it. Went to MGC last year for the first time and had an absolute blast. I think I may have liked it just as much as Expo...

#100 10 years ago

Got the playfield in the cab successfully. There are a couple of tweaks to do on plunger alignment, but things are looking good.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#105 10 years ago

More Pics...

wooly001.jpgwooly001.jpg

#106 10 years ago

Pics.

wooly009.jpgwooly009.jpg wooly006.jpgwooly006.jpg wooly008.jpgwooly008.jpg

#107 10 years ago

Pics.

wooly002.jpgwooly002.jpg wooly003.jpgwooly003.jpg wooly007.jpgwooly007.jpg

#113 10 years ago

I think it will look pretty nice along side Cactus Canyon Continued at Expo.

#119 10 years ago

This weekend I plan on uploading a video walkthrough of the key game features that are programmed so far. Probably a quick vid of game play too.

#134 10 years ago

Great observation Skrippy. You nailed it. It was really cheap off of marcospecialties and a heck of a lot easier than trying to make one from scratch! (Don't get me started on how tough it was to make those custom clear plastic ramps - would've bought those as well if I could have found ones that fit right.)

#139 10 years ago

Check out the new video! Highlights shots, modes, layout, etc. along with a few minutes of gameplay. (Hopefully youtube's quality improves - original video is full HD but youtube keeps converting the video to crap quality everytime I upload - I'm open to suggestions on this!)

As a reminder, WOOLY will be at expo in the Multimorphic/P-ROC/P3 booth, come check it out, I can't wait to show off all the hard work.

#action=share

#140 10 years ago

Looks like the youtube police do not like my background music... Uploading one with a generic music background shortly...

#142 10 years ago

Looks like the previous video may be working for some people... In any case, here's the same video just with crappy youtube background music.

#action=share

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Thanks for sharing (and congrats to the parents of the 5-weeks old! )
Awesome! The small upper Pf seems very challenging... the stand up targets are so close from the flippers you must have lightning reflexes to react in time.
One comment about return to the right flipper from rightmost outlane. Is there a way to avoid the bounce on the right slingshot, which delays the ball? A straight trajectory to the right flipper would make the game faster.

Thanks! Baby has been almost as much fun as pinball... Thank goodness I have an understanding wife that doesn't mind me working on this hobby!

Upperplayfield - targets are close, but not as close as you think. So far the feel is very similar to TSPP in difficulty. My best is completing the Zeus targets four times before the ball slips by (idea is 1st time you'd get ZEUS multiball, then the second time you'd have to complete them twice before getting it, etc...) The gap between the flippers is less than 1.75" - I was worried it was going to be too small a gap, but I think the game play will be just fine. If you don't panic and hit right targets with the left flipper and vice versa the shots are actually pretty controllable.

Right outlane Safe Escape/Pandora Reward Shot - yeah, this still is going to need some tweaking to get right to try and keep the speed up. It's actually pretty difficult to find a solution that meets all ball speeds - if the ball is too fast it tends to hit the sling rubber on the back side, if the ball is too slow it might not clear the outlane gap. Next prototype will have this smoother though.

The game as is has really had no adjustments to the ball guides or rubber posts, no real tweaks to the layout or shots or anything. I pretty much have only had time to put things together and hope that it plays well in order to have something playable for expo. When I think that just a few months ago I had a piece of wood with a few pieces of metal on it and now I have a fully functional prototype I'm pretty stoked with how quickly it ended up coming together and how well it turned out. Designing ahead of time in Visual Pinball had it's advantages...

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

This is AWESOME!!!
I am sorry if I missed it, but had a few questions.
Where did you get your PF, plastics, and ramps made? Do you have details on the physical construction of those parts?
I am assuming everything else are standard mechs from other games that you used?
I ask because someday in the distant future I will be building my own game.

Thanks Whysnow! If you dig through the P-ROC controller forums and the VP forums you'll see a lot of this background info. Here's a quick summary though (feel free to ask me any questions you want at expo at the booth or at the P-ROC panel seminar!):
-PF and Plastics were all designed in 3D CAD. I generated 2D line drawings of them and then rough cut my first prototype parts. Once I thought those were decent, I sent the real CAD data to Mameman who graciously helped me out with some awesome high quality CNC stuff. With all the inserts and funny shapes on the playfield this would have been a nightmare to do without the CNC available...
-Ramps were also all designed in 3D CAD and used to generate 2D line drawings of their profile. I used those as templates on 2x12 pieces of wood to make forms. Those forms were then used on a vacuum thermoformer and then hand cut to final size. They turned out pretty well for hand made prototype parts. If I wanted to abuse Mameman I may have asked him to CNC the forms as well, but the shapes were pretty easy to just cut by hand.

Hard part about projects like these is understanding how much money you want to spend on what part of it and whether or not it's worth it (I probably could have had all my ball guides, ramps, etc. made professionally for a few thousand bucks, but the hand made stuff IMO looks about 90-95% as nice and was dirt cheap). You'll find you'll sink enough of your hard earned money into just the wire, fasteners and other "stock" pinball parts - There's probably close to $3K in just parts into this custom build (you can do the math on cost for just flippers alone - $50 for a flipper assembly through marcospecialties x 6 flippers (actually a little (lot) cheaper at pinballlife...). Granted I certainly didn't get a "volume" discount on the stuff, but it's easy for me to see why pins cost as much as they do these days (especially when you factor in all of the intensive hand labor and testing that goes into each and every pinball build).

#154 10 years ago

So, I think I may have hit a new pinball record last night playing WOOLY... I can't think of any other pinball machine out there that has this many unique shots (i.e. not hitting the same shot twice) all done on the fly without ever stopping the ball or having to do a flipper pass -

Here's my nine shot, on the fly combo finishing to a VUK drop to start a mode -
1. Right oribt via lower left flipper
2. Pandora orbit via middle left flipper
3. Left ramp via lower right flipper
4. Right ramp via lower left flipper
5. Left orbit via lower right flipper
6. Middle orbit via lower right flipper
7. Upper oribt via middle right flipper
8. Upper ramp via middle right flipper
9. Center VUK shot via lower left flipper.

Anyone know of any existing pinball machines with this many unique shots without a single shot being duplicated with each one bringing the ball back to a controlled position on the flipper?? ( I think LOTR comes close - but is broken up with VUKs - right orbit, right ramp, left ramp, center ramp, gandalf orbit, left orbit into tower kicker... maybe the shadow?

#158 10 years ago

Today I head off to Chicago for the EXPO! Woo-hoo! Really looking forward meeting all of you that have followed this thread and are interested and excited to see WOOLY - can't wait to show it off! Just swing by the Multimorphic booth and check it out - I'll be the tall, bald dude with the handle bar mustache. Let me know what you think and if you'd be interested in seeing more than just one of these works of art get made!

Also, if you like my art on WOOLY, check out Multimorphic's P3 prototype cab - it'll be sporting cabinet and translite art I did for their Cosmic Cart Racing game.

See you on Thursday - if you see me walking around the show don't hesitate to say hi to just bull shit or talk to me about my project. I'd love to hear about any projects you may have and give you any pointers or answer questions.

photo (1).JPGphoto (1).JPG

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Hi - any picture, feedback or videos from the Expo ?

Quick update - game ran non-stop the entire 4 hours we were exhibiting on Thursday and Friday (last) night. Taking a break this morning but will have the game back on just after noon today for its last four hour marathon session. Game has performed wayyyyyu beyond my expectations for a one up prototype getting hammered on by all these pinball players.

#180 10 years ago

WOW - What an amazing expo experience!! It was so much fun to meet so many of you and just really cool to watch everyone play the game and see their excitement. I could not be happier with the overwhelming positive response to my hand built pinball machine. It was very satisfying to see all that hard work enjoyed and appreciated by so many incredible people. Big thanks to everyone that stopped by to play and to chat about pinball; it was really refreshing to see that energy.

The reaction at expo was truly amazing - so many people told me they want to see this project taken to the next level. Based on that, I had the opportunity to take down a large number of names for those interested in possibly owning one of their own some day. I've also heard a lot of excitement around this pin on other boards and from other people who were not able to make expo.

So, if you're interested in seeing this become a reality and were not able to sign-up at expo, email me @ [email protected] or send me a PM to get yourself on the priority list. This is completely informal, but will give me a good idea of the real energy around this pin.

This weekend was incredible - I look forward to the path ahead...

#181 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Scott will you marry me?

Lol! Maybe when you make Scarface a real pin!!! I still fire that pin up EVERY time I play my pincab.

#189 10 years ago

Thanks to everyone who has been emailing me with their interest in this pin! Now that more of the Expo dust has settled, I thought I'd answer some quick questions and give some more background and info on next steps.

Last December when I decided to start this project I put together a schedule and wanted to have a machine ready for the Chicago Expo with a complete art package and working flippers and kickers so that people could get a feel for the shots and flow. A couple of rock star programmers came on board in the summer and not only were we able to get a machine flipping, but we got one with a ton of content with all the monster and god modes programmed, hurry ups, kickback, pandora's box targets and reward, ball saves, ZEUS targets and more - I was blown away with how much we were able to accomplish and show off.

Now that I know I have a working pin with a great layout and flow it's time for me to move forward with my next BIG plans. These steps involve adding the different multi-ball modes (ZEUS, Pandora, etc.), flashers, more GI, additional stand-up targets for the upper right flipper to shoot at, more audio clips, animations, interactive toys, etc.

With Expo, I wanted to have a pin that knocked the socks of people when they stepped up to it and realized it was built by a guy in his garage - I want to see that same reaction from people the next time I publicly show it off. Depending on how everything comes together will dictate when and where I will be able to show the pin off again. Being from Minnesota and using my own personal finances to fund this build, I mainly see shows in the general region in the near future; but depending on how development of this pin goes and funding, anything is possible.

Please feel free to email me or PM me with any questions you may have, and spread the word on WOOLY! The potential in this machine is amazing and I plan on doing everything in my power to make something that's nothing but spectacular.

2 weeks later
#203 10 years ago

Been kinda quiet lately working diligently with Frank on adding more depth to the software and game play for Wrath of Olympus. Thought I'd post a quick video on how to maximize your score while playing WOOLY.

Besides working your way through the monsters and gods as the primary goal in the game, I've also added some fun rules for the strategic player that they can choose to work through before during or after a mode has started to really make that mode and future mode completions pay off.

High level there are 5 shots with "fire" insert lamps. Once those have been completed the next shot to one of those will result in that shot being worth 2X for the remainder of the ball. Going through and hitting the fire shots again will light a second multiplier - you can do this until all 5 shots will be worth 2X for the duration of the ball.

We also have a cool "FATES" scoring feature. 5 shots to the left ramp spells Fates which starts "Fates Scoring." During the limited mini mode time, all switches on the playfield score either 2X, 1/2X, or 1X depending on how many times you hit the FATES ramp during Fates Scoring. The mini mode starts at 2X - another accidental shot to the ramp will drop scoring down to 1/2X. Another hit to the ramp brings the scoring up to 1X, and another hit brings it to 2X - essentially you control your scoring fate so to speak. If you're planning your game strategy and line up the 2X shot multiplier on the center drop target (completes the modes for big points) along with Fates 2X scoring you can set up at 4X jackpot for completing the monster/god.

In any case, I hope you enjoy the short video and feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions or if you'd like more information or especially if you'd like to get on the "hey! I'm interested in this project becoming a real machine - list."

Next week - first toy concept will be revealed - stay tuned...

3 weeks later
#213 10 years ago

Hey Everybody! Sorry been kinda quiet lately but I've been busy wiring in lots of new hardware on WOOLY and Frank's been working like crazy writing software for this beast.

Here's a quick update:

We now have 8 flashers wired in and going through some sweet light shows. Working on finding the best placement for them, but so far things are looking really nice. For those that were at expo and saw the apron with the flames you'll be excited to see we have incorporated two flashers under the apron that will go off making it look like the games on fire.

Just today, I got a ton of GI lights installed that will all be uniquely controlled by the P-ROC along with an animated back box - yes indeed, the power and anger of Zeus will be flashing in fury during game play. We've just started the process of writing code and testing/debugging the GI.

Also still working on the two other toy designs. Current prototype may be hard to get them physically installed, but I'm optimistic we'll be moving on to building at least two more prototypes and with a little luck maybe even a small run or more of this machine. As mentioned earlier in the thread please email me at [email protected] if you're interested in this pin. If you already emailed me then tell your friends! The more people I get on the interested list the more likely this pin becomes a reality.

Stay tuned for more updates... (Video below is just a first run at the flashers and lamps in an attract light show - GI shown is what was at expo and does not include more recent hardware updates).

1 month later
#221 10 years ago

Hey guys and gals, thought I'd share a quick video of the back box lighting we have designed and installed - looks like youtube messed with the quality again, but you'll get the idea. During attract mode the back box will go through a few routines of flashing - I particularly like the effect on Zeus' hand. During normal game play the back box will be on but during special events the lighting will change like when the lightning targets get hit or when you start a mode - the effects will help communicate what's going on with the game. At the very least it's more interesting than just a light bar in the back box.

#action=share

We also have two multiballs programmed that we're testing out right now - hope to show some videos of that as well in the coming weeks. Stay tuned....

1 week later
#229 10 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words! The team is still busy working hard on adding more code to the prototype and cleaning it up as best as we can. I'm also deep into the process of getting my bill of materials quoted and costs figured out to see if this pin can be made one day. Stay tuned, I'm hoping to have that figured out in the coming weeks.

Quoted from chadderack:

What about Greek columns for the upper playfield? Little marble columns holding up Zeus' temple. Love it and will keep tabs on it. Maybe you could tap an investor (like a BIG investor) for a medium sized run.... ( > 500)

My original design intent was to minimize the supports on the upper playfield as much as possible to have the illusion that Olympus was "floating". Considering I still have the two flipper rods coming down through and the two vertical support posts adding a column shell around them might still look cool... Good idea, I'll have to play around with that.

Always open to investors! Haven't actively been looking but if anyone wants to get in on the action I'd be more than happy to consider it!

#231 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Scott, Will you be coming to MGC? (with or without the game?)hope to see you there!

Hey! I'm planning on being there and hopefully the next prototype of WOOLY as well. Depends on a bunch of other factors right now. There's a good chance WOOLY will be at the Allentown pinball show this May though so some of the people on the eastern side can experience it. Depending on how all of this goes will influence other pinball shows through the rest of the year. Lots of $$$ and time would be spent trying to get me and my machine across the country. But I'll see what I can do.

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

I'd love to see (as well as others) a Facebook page showing the WOOLY process from start to its current stage, if your busy schedule permits!

Good idea... probably need to update my webpage first and then add some content to a facebook page. I'll get on that one of these days.

Quoted from ulmpharmd:

any chance of you making it to the Texas pinfest in March?

I really wish I could, but unfortunately it will not work out for me this year. I lived in Austin for 6 months a few years back and absolutely loved it. Plus I'd love to check out the latest updates on Multimorphic's P3. From the recent updates Gerry's posted it looks like this next showing is going to have a lot of cool things to see.

1 week later
#238 10 years ago

Successfully transplanted the playfield back into the cab last night. It's amazing how much a sheet of wood, some metal ball guides, and thousands of feet of wire weigh... Picture doesn't do the new lighting justice - it's really a major enhancement to the game. Still need to adjust some of the flasher positions, but still really happy with it over all - they provide the right effect without being distracting or blinding. Will probably end up adding one more set of GI above the slings to illuminate the center of the playfield a little bit too for those players that enjoy playing in the dark...

Stay tuned, I hope to have another decent video out in the coming days of latest software updates and some multiball modes.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#244 10 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

So what is the estimated cost?

Cost and sales price are two very different things, with one driving the other. I'm still in the process of getting rough estimates and quotes back on my component costs and labor. Once all of that gets put together and I decide if the then sales price is reasonable I'll figure out if this project becomes more than just a one up.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Looking great! Does this mean you may be a step closer to confirming a MGC appearance?

Still waiting on the cost to figure out my next plan - really taking my time with that part of it as I really want to make sure I have a good grip on this bad boy before making any major plans. Under or over promising never worked out well for me.

#247 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Sounds like a plan. But I assume that to calculate cost on you need to bet on an initial run of xx units (a few dozen? 100? More?). And... what would you call a reasonable sales price?
PS: Might visit the twin cities next July... if there is a chance to play Wooly, that would be great!

You are absolutely correct - volume absolutely drives price. I don't want to go into too much detail on the forum, but right now I'm just collecting rough estimates on cost, based on a realistic run size, which is based off of a % of the people that have expressed direct interest in this pin. As for a reasonable sales price - in my opinion would need to be competitive with current pin pricing and at a value to me where it makes sense to go through the incredible amount of work and risk to make them. If those things don't line up then I'll need to have a come to Jesus so to speak and figure out all of my options.

In the end, there's a heck of a lot of stuff that all has to work out to even remotely make this a possibility and on top of it all you gotta have the gumption to take that risk - it's been very easy for me to see why other manufacturers have had their struggles to release their pins and I absolutely applaud them for sticking through it and making product (or in a few of their cases hopefully making product very, very soon).

#249 10 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

Could you sell your game to Spookie pinball, Stern or JJ for production?

All options are being actively explored and pursued.

1 week later
#257 10 years ago

Look who made the cut for this year's PinGame Journal Calendar! If you haven't ordered a copy yet, get to it - support a great journal!
photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 1 (1).JPG
photo 2 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPG

1 week later
#261 10 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Any chance of this being at cax or the northwest pinball show?

No plans as of right now, but who knows. Been a lot of behind the scenes work being done the past few weeks to line up a hopefully very busy rest of 2014 and 2015. Plan on making a substantial announcement in the coming days to those on the "interested list."

BTW - is that you with Marilyn Manson? A lot of people haven't cared for his recent albums that much, but IMO I think they're some of his best. The High End of Low gets played a lot while I'm working on WOOLY.

#263 10 years ago

FYI - if you had contacted me about your interest in WOOLY please check your inbox and spam boxes as I just sent out an update with special offers to everyone on the list. If you have not received the email please let me know at [email protected] and I'll make sure to send it to you!

#267 10 years ago

Great question Jean-Louis - the upper left flipper is intended to hit the right side pandora orbit loop that feeds the right flipper. This shot is pretty much impossible with the lower left flipper as well as hitting the pandora stand up targets.

As for the HADES pop up toy, great suggestion, current layout doesn't allow for a shot like that though and with the awesome flow I have going right now I don't anticipate changing things up too much. The toy is currently planned to pop up in front of the captive ball with simple shots coming from the upper left flipper. It will be utilized in different modes, some of which will require dropping HADES in order to then gain access to the captive ball for the big point pay outs. More than anything we plan on having the toy pop up at appropriate times to make it a smooth combo shot or fun hurry up that taunts the player.

#269 10 years ago

For those of you who were not on the "interested" list - here is a snap shot of the current progress update on WOOLY:

Current Status:
- Past few months we've been working hard to get more GI installed, useful and interesting flashers in non-blinding locations, tons of software added, and completion of the technical design.
- Current Software in the game (much more yet to be developed):
Main Modes:
(4) Monsters: - Minotaur – Cerberus – Medusa – Hydra
(4) Gods: - Ares – Poseidon – Hades – Zeus

War of the Titans - collect 32 Titans by hitting the right combination of shots

Special Awards:
- Beast Master (for killing all Monsters)
- God of gods (for killing all gods)
- Windrider – getting X number of hurricane’s enables the windrider
- Titan Champ (most Titans collected-leaderboard)

Multiballs:
- Ball Breaker - (2) ball MB with jackpots
- Zeus MB - (3) ball MB with jackpots and superjackpot

(3) skillshots – will be 4 with the hades toy – upper loop, right ramp, and bumper

Bonus multipliers - built up through inlane/outlane logic

(5) Mini hurry-up modes

General Features:
- fire lamps enable bonus multiplier for that shot
- pandora award – hitting targets and then the Pandora switch give a mystery award
- fates scoring - increase or decrease your shot values after FATES is spelled
- Hades kickback – left outlane drain is saved when hades targets are completed
- Athena Extra Ball – upper loop orbits builds towards extra ball
- Pity Extra Ball – quick play time and low score lights extra ball

Latest Video Showing game play with new lighting, code and Multiball:

- We've also been designing and integrating two toys for the next prototype. A HADES toy similar to the trolls in Medieval Madness that pops up out of the playfield at specific times - he's going to be incorporated to add more satisfying shots ( like in Theatre of Magic when you spell Theatre and on the fly need to hit the trunk). The other is a physical ball lock called "Pandora's Box" where the player will light the lock, lock balls, and then release for an epic multiball.

Future Plans:
- Build another prototype with the toys implemented, all of the software updates, professionally made playfield, and all the shots fine tuned after what we learned with the first prototype.
- Bring the prototypes to more shows.
- Hopefully be in some form of production in 2015.

As always, for more information or to get on the list please email me at [email protected]

2 weeks later
#273 10 years ago

Hello WOOLY followers! I have another quick update for you guys. We're currently in full swing ordering parts to build another machine. This baby is going to be built based off of my BOM and will have parts fabricated off of what I hope to be production designs. The intent on this build is to refine the machine based on the first prototype and foremost, have a design that can easily be duplicated. Our plan is to have WOOLY2 ready for the Chicago Expo. The first prototype, WOOLY1, is going to be shipped out to the eastern side of the US in preparation for Pinfest out in Allentown. Many of you may be wishing the game would have been at MGC this year but I made a decision to get the pin to a new area of the country and give other people a chance to see and play WOOLY.

Also as a friendly reminder, the special order information sent out to WOOLY followers is expiring at the end of the month of March. If you plan on ordering any of the packages please email me promptly! [email protected]

As for software updates, here’s a list of the additions to the code since my last update:

Lightning target hurry-ups:
Completing the 5 stand-up targets now lights a total of 6 progressive shots – working your way across the playfield for larger and larger shot values.

Easy/Normal settings in service menu:
Default/normal - All 5 lightning targets must be hit in order to start a monster/god mode.
Easy - Monster/god modes are started at the scoop without the lightning target requirement.

Awards for completing monster/god modes:
Minotaur - 2 ball multiball with jackpots
Cerberus - Ramps worth mucho points for remainder of ball
Medusa - 4 ball multiball
Hydra - Every shot is doubled for rest of ball
Ares - Jackpots lit for 20 seconds,
Poseidon - Extra ball is lit, redeemed via the left ramp
Hades - Awards Reanimate (extra ball)
Zeus - Lights special, redeemed via the right ramp

“MOVE YOUR CHARIOT” :
New feature in development (no animations yet)
7 shots to the middle Medusa orbit starts "MOVE YOUR CHARIOT"
20 second timer starts counting down from 10 million.
Hit the Medusa orbit and it awards the point total on the countdown.
Next hit to the orbit (if there is time remaining) awards 2X what that value was, then 3X, etc.
until 6X and you destroy the chariot.

In the meantime we are actively developing a another layer of creative rules - rules that will be unique to the pinball world and really add a whole new depth to this already deep game. Stay tuned for timely updates.

#275 10 years ago

Wow - Wisconsinites are really dedicated to pinball! Send me the details on this MadRollinPinball; I may be interested.

#280 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

1) The right orbit almost always feeds right into the top of the rubber on the right sling. Intended?
The right orbit feeds the right flipper cleanly when a left orbit shot is hit and the shot is not interrupted by the upper right flipper - this was intended to make successive shots to the left orbit over and over to build up combos. If the player interacts with the ball with the upper right flipper trying to go for the upper ramp or upper loop, the ball typically (if the shot is missed) does not have enough speed and usually hits the top of the sling. It's the trade off of going for another shot on the fly. I also like the randomness it provides as well - typically this does not result in an unrecoverable ball.

2) Is the old (but great) Metallica a place holder? Will there be other/original music?
Good question - while this is Wrath of Olympus, I do not need the Wrath of Lars... Final version will have a complete overhaul on the music with original compositions. There are a number of creative folks in my circle that are dying to provide music for this pin with the same edginess that is currently in the prototype.

3) Is the voice over a place holder?
Some are. Our primary focus is to get a good working game with callouts and animations in place so the player knows what's going on. Down the road we plan on updating a lot of the audio and visuals.

4) In the video it seems light on sound effects. More to come? Am I not hearing them due to compression?
You're not hearing them primarily due to the crappy iPad I was using to record with. We're also still working on balancing the background music with the other call outs. Right now I think we have well over 100 audio samples (nowhere near Ben's AMH, but there'll be plenty when we're finished). Also, with the glass off to get better video you really hear the coils overpower the other audio due to the glass not providing a buffer.

5) Will the software be open source?
Most likely yes, after the warranty period is up. The structure is very simple and audio can be swapped and added very easily - if in the end you don't like the background music we end up providing, switching your own samples in should be relatively straightforward.

6) The translight is very cool for the style, it's just that style isn't exactly my thing. In the email I finally dug out from the depths of my junk folder, I see two possible. Any chance of a third, ever so slightly less cartoonish version?
No. I realize many people like the "painted" look, but I built this pin originally for me based on what I like as a labor of love. With that said, I'd be more than happy to give people info on how to design/make/install their own translites that they may prefer.

7) The display right now is almost entirely number / text correct? Animations to come? There are over 100 special effects and over 200 animations in the game right now - with more to come.

For me #2 through #4 above are very big deals. They are some of the reasons I'm still (with ever increasing effort) clinging to Predator. The game looks totally amazing, but for upwards of what, probably $8k+?, everything for me would need to be perfect, and the audio package right now is much less than that. The voice over sounds strained and amateur (no offense to any intended, really!, I couldn't do better, but see below), not divine anyway! I like Metallica and Ramstein more than most, but I'd rather hear music geared to change with specific modes and stations in the game than just a soundtrack in the background.
I'm not trying to be an asshole mind you, just probing. Again, the game looks totally amazing, game play and rules seems top shelf, I just think it would benefit greatly by being married to some audio of the same quality.
This may sound self serving, but my brother is a (very good) voice actor. If you knew me you'd know I have little bias about my bro, but his rumbling, articulate, voice would be PERFECT for this game. I bet I could get him to do it for little or nothing. Want me to get you a reel/sample? He was just Hamlet and his work on his dead Dad's ghost was fucking phenomenal. It would add a LOT of polish to the end product.
Regardless, congratulations, it looks cool as hell.
EDIT: Should also mention my brother's friends with a professional Hollywood sound guy. (A favorite tidbit of mine he did was American History X. Know that curb stomp sound? He did that. Haha. Anyway...) I can't speak to how much, if anything, he'd charge but he's a cool guy who DOES do some gift work on the side. Just putting a buzz in your ear.
EDIT 2: Ha. Also, just realized, if my baby brother was in it, I can guarantee (as in, 100%, ironclad) my Mom would buy at least one. (He's the favorite. Can't blame her: I'm an asshole.)
Hah! Nice. Well there's a little more motivation for me I guess.

See ABOVE for answers.

Thanks for your input, feedback, and opinions - I agree with you that #2-#4 are MAJOR elements in a game and should be as top notch and professional as possible. It's one of the reasons I love my IJ (Williams) so much - the voice call outs, audio clips, and animations all immerse me in the game. I'm really happy with where we are at right now from a prototype perspective, but I do see room for improvement. My team and I will be doing our best in regards to that part once we get the game design and rules a little more locked down. In the mean time, hell yeah - send me some contact information for your bro.

I've learned over my years as a designer and engineer that if you try to make something to please everyone it will turn out like shit. WOOLY is a dream project I had as a kid and I've just been lucky enough to have incredibly talented people helping me realize that dream. Those that like it - hop on board. Those that don't - that's cool too. For a first pin, there's a few baby steps that have to happen before walking or running can take place. As always, I'm open to discussion, constructive criticism, and areas for improvement. Doesn't mean they will all be implemented but they will all be considered.

#286 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

You got some good ideas here....I second it except for the heavy metal music. I don't know which music would be better but metal just doesn't fit the theme.
If i may suggest an (not sure how much a ramp an drop target would complicate things) idea with the upper pf, by replacing the static target with drop targets that would let the ball pass through after you spell "Zeus"...sort of like The Shadow. The rule set is shaping up to be incredible, very nice pf and layout, best of luck.

To each their own. The theme is about the monsters and gods and waging war against them - personally I think heavy aggressive music fits the bill nicely. Besides, I like metal and I love the energy it gives pinball.

Nice idea on drop targets - unfortunately there isn't enough room under the upper playfield for them, not to mention the cheapest drop target assemblies I've found are $100 a pop. Even building them from parts comes close to $100 not to mention the labor still required to put it together. If someone else on pinside can put me in touch with modern drop target assemblies complete with target coil, and switch for much cheaper Id love to hear about it.

#287 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

OH..this reminds me, are you coming to Steve's Pinball BBQ this year, you don't have to bring the game.

Still figuring my plans out - Memorial weekend has always been one I usually spend in the BWCA for about a week.

#298 10 years ago

From my quote in page 3 of this thread:

"Right outlane Safe Escape/Pandora Reward Shot - yeah, this still is going to need some tweaking to get right to try and keep the speed up. It's actually pretty difficult to find a solution that meets all ball speeds - if the ball is too fast it tends to hit the sling rubber on the back side, if the ball is too slow it might not clear the outlane gap. Next prototype will have this smoother though."

You hit the nail on the head though Joel - I've already drawn up the CAD with a small ramp that feeds the ball into the skill shot lane/ramp to allow returning balls to flow around a smooth bend versus a moving gate. This part of the ball path isn't really responsible for the smoothness in the ball flow to the flipper though - as pointed out above, it's the varying ball speed and trying to find a happy medium for both. I'm confident my next prototype is going to address this much better though. The ramp concept I think is going to be cheaper and more robust to manufacture in the end. It also solved another issue I discovered during multiball - if a ball is coming through the safe escape when one is being autoplunged into the game occaisonally it would result in two balls sitting in the plunger lane and then both getting fired into the playfield - not a big deal, but smooth is always better. Of course the trade off with the small ramp is that any time the ball leaves the playfield you're opening yourself up for risk, but I think in this case it's very minor.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Since we are giving out suggestions >> Scott, the game looks amazing. I think that since this is still a 1 off, 1 of a kind intended to make your dream come true, just build what YOU want and make it how YOU envisioned.
IF, and that is a big IF, you ever decide to actually produce this game in a larger quantity then still hold true to your vision while fielding the suggestions you see fit for tweaks.

Thanks man. It's tough - legitimate questions and design suggestions are welcomed, but yeah, at this point most, if not all of it has been thought through - long and hard and there are very, very good reasons why the design is the way it is. In the end I don't mind the questions though, if anything it lets me tell the forum a bit more of the "why" behind the designs and that this pin indeed has been thought through carefully.

I definitely understand why STERN doesn't show any development along the way though - addressing questions multiple times and giving design insight is time consuming. But hey, I also care about this forum and want you guys to feel like you're a part of the ride as well.

#303 10 years ago

Been busy working on the physical ball lock we'll be implementing in the next prototype, this is still a WIP.

Behold, Pandora's Box - Life and Death, Beginning and the End. Ball locks will be lit by completing the ZEUS targets in the upper playfield, balls are locked by hitting the right ramp. When ball lock is enabled they will be trapped similar to LOTR, when not lit they will pass through and go direct to the right flipper inlane. Box will be translucent most likely with "gold" painted highlights. Should have a really cool effect with the lights and flashers shining through when they go off.
pandoras_box_screenie.jpgpandoras_box_screenie.jpg

One last reminder, those special pacakges being offered are expiring at the end of the month. Get your orders in. If you have any questions or want to get on my WOOLY list, email me! [email protected]

#306 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

You will feel The Wrath of Pinside if you don't make these!

Lol! After designing the box and getting it into my full CAD assembly, I honestly can't envision WOOLY without it. For something as simple as a physical ball lock, it will add ALOT to the game - achieving the multiball is going to be more interesting (and rewarding), it adds another location to physically stop the ball and show some cool animations, it's a better (more obvious) way to redeem the pandora's box award (enabled by hitting the two stand-ups underneath the box), it's aesthetically pleasing and is kinda neat how it bridges the pandora orbit that feeds the right flipper on the main playfield, etc. etc.

1 week later
#312 9 years ago

Well, WOOLY prototype 1 made the long freight journey from MN to PA without any damage or incident. Sigh of relief. Nothing like handing your baby over to complete strangers. For those that can make it, stop by and play a game or two at the Allentown pinball fest in a few weeks!

#318 9 years ago
Quoted from kaboom:

I've just settled in and read the entire thread from go to wo, this is just great.
The absolute hours and hours of commitment that goes into something of this scale,
hats off to you.
Kressy

Thanks Kressy - the hours of work that has gone into this project is pretty amazing. I've been averaging over 20 hours a week for the past two years, combine that with the 700+ hours my software guy has put in and we're getting close to 3000 hours into this project. I'd say we both will still be putting 20+ hours a week into this project for the remainder of the year as well.

I highly recommend people designing their own machines if they have the itch - but if they do, they should be passionate and practically psycho for pinball - 'cause it's a heck of a lot of work and a huge opportunity cost for what you're giving up to be working on the machine and not doing something else - like playing pinball! Seriously though, if anyone has questions on the process feel free to PM or email me and I'd be happy to help/at least let you know the steps I've taken so far.

#322 9 years ago

Always happy to answer questions -

1) Please keep in mind the machine in the videos and the game that will be at Allentown is a PROTOTYPE that was hand built. There's a couple of things that are getting ironed out in the next prototype and I imagine there will still be a few more things that get ironed out after that.

2) because I built the playfield manually - a few of the inserts didn't end up completely flush and smooth - there are a couple right in front of the ramp entrance that are slightly raised which are causing the ball to hop and jump and sometimes jump off the ramp. Next build will have a professionally made playfield to address this. We also put a clear guard over the top of this prototype for Allentown to stop that.

3) I altered the path on the left and right ramp on the next prototype as well to make the ball bath a little more smooth and interesting - this should also help to keep well struck pinballs completing the ramp shot. Stay tuned for a new image of the CAD model for WOOLY2.

4) I looked long into designing drops or targets under the upper playfield but there just isnt room. All of those things need to pass through the playfield to get mounted and right now that entire area has teo flipper assemblies taking up the space. Considering my design intent was to have a fast flowing game having that area just be a loop seems to work very well. At the end of the day the game already has 14 stand ups, the drops, 3 ramp shots, 5 orbit shots, a VUK, and a subway - it's been my play experience that ha been more than enough in WOOLY to hold my attention and interest!

#328 9 years ago

Thought I'd send out another mini update on this fine Friday. Files have all been sent out for our next set of custom playfields and plastics, all hardware is on hand, and the second WOOLY prototype is going to be well under way. The first prototype has been going through major code updates and mini bug fixes for the past couple of weeks and is getting prepped for Allentown. We've also added some more hurry ups, light shows, custom match animation, a cool ball buster animation, under cabinet lighting, and awards for defeating each monster and god including a couple of fun multiballs as a reward. We still have a ton to add as far as code, audio, and animations, but we're a hell of a long way into the process. The CAD design is pretty much finished as well - check out the images below showing the new ramp designs, integration of Pandora's box, the special door way to confront HADES (by the captive ball - HADES pops up out of the playfield to wreak havoc on the world), and a bad ass custom painted helmet that will be lit indicating "START BATTLE" (mode start) is ready. Also included is another quick video of game play - a little tough to see what's going on, but hey, you can't have too many videos, right?
wooly_update_apr18.jpgwooly_update_apr18.jpg
helmet_painted.jpghelmet_painted.jpg

#345 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Scott, what is the terminus of the "Start Battle" shot? I can't quite tell from the CAD or the first prototype. Is it a big fat square standup? Is there a drop down in front of it?
Also, in the "Way too much to ask for" category, any chance of Zeus f'ing with you magnetic style?

Start Battle is achieved through 3 different shots - the easiest is a direct shot to the VUK located right under the helmet. The second is done by knocking down the drop target right under the "start battle" text (the CAD render has a white section that will actually not be printed and will be clear so that you can see this path and the drop target - the plastic provides a cool spot for the text as well as being effective at preventing air-balls off of the drop target) and then hitting that shot again will lead to a subway which feeds the VUK. The third method is by hitting the same subway via the upper right flipper just below the upper ramp. We're going to have easy and normal options for starting the battles/modes and I liked the idea of having multiple ways to get to start that mode - as you play you'll find some shots are less risky or worth more and it will influence your shot decision.

Magnets - yes indeed, I thought long and hard about this, but for this version of WOOLY they will not be present. Mostly because there is just no space! I feel like I've put just about everything than the kitchen sink in this pin - the BOM is already getting super pricey and with all the inserts and lamps in the middle of the playfield there really just isn't much room to put those magnets (the ones I've found are a good 3-4" in diameter and take up a lot of space).

Might be a good after market mod for some of those clever pinsiders out there though...

And yes, HADES pops up in front of the captive ball. The god mode insert is a lamp that will flash when the ball saver is on and do some cool lighting effects when you get to the wizard mode. This was a little tribute to my love of video games - in God Mode you can not be defeated, so I figured it would correlate well to a ball save where your ball gets to continue.

1 week later
#346 9 years ago

Just a quick update with a couple more videos shot by my software guru, Frank. WOOLY is prepped and ready for Allentown, be sure to stop by and say hi to Frank and play a game or too of WOOLY. We have the pin running just like a normal pin now with it booting up with the flip of the front cabinet switch (something minor to most, but feels good to have WOOLY not only looking like a normal pin, but also booting up like one!). As usual, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to post them or send them directly to me - [email protected] As usual, if you'd like to get on the list for special updates and offers please email me as well.

#353 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Looking great! Any thoughts on switching over to the BenHeck board prior to production?
I have no idea how that would impact coding, but I do know the board appeared well thought out and was very fairly priced.

I actually talked with Ben about this at length during MGC this year. To change over the "brains" would be extensive and a massive overhaul as the programming languages between the two are not compatible. With the success of the P-Roc and its years of satisfied end user testing I'm pretty sure were sticking with that. The cost savings at this point are not justifying the extra time that would be required to recode WOOLY - this time IMO is better spent delivering the best knockout software package possible at release.

#355 9 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Are you kidding? Frank and Wooly are going to be at Allentown!? Why couldn't he post this on the P-ROC forums weeks ago... I'd have changed my plans to make sure I could have made it down.
If I help Frank get color rocking could I get a coupon code for a discounted purchase?

Lol. Sorry, been keeping the updates primarily here on pinside. Ixna on the coupona as WOOLY will be old school 16 shades of red. I like it the simplicity of the traditional DMD look. . You should still make every effort you can to come check it out!

#361 9 years ago

Some more videos in preparation for Allentown tomorrow - how many pins do you know of that offer more than one match animation? I know it seems trivial, but I really like when you finish a game and get to see a decent match effect, kinda makes draining on that last ball feel not quite so bad. Anyway, we'll have two ready at Allentown and a few more in the works that will randomly selected on game end.

Cerberus Peeing on a Rock:

Cronus - Titan God of Time and the Ages:

There's also a video showing off more of the DMD aspect of the game. Again all of these animations were hand made from custom drawn art - takes a bit more time than extracting from movie footage but I think it gives it a good 90's vibe like the rest of the game... Enjoy!

#367 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Helmet looks great on the field and super cool when it gets lit from below! The animations are cool too. This pin is going to be such an achivement!
The Ramstein loop could have a cleaner repeat point as I find the rhythm change jarring every time (but then I'm a Ramstein junkie) , and it's kind of hard to hear the call outs (could totally just be the recording though).

Yeah, we still have quite a bit of work to do on the audio side getting levels all fine tuned and sounding right. As for the other music looping, we're not really too worried about that right now as the final manufactured pin won't have that copyrighted material in there.

#378 9 years ago

Wow! What an exciting weekend for Wrath of Olympus at Pinfest in Allentown this year! Big thanks to everyone that stopped by to play WOOLY - the machine was running non-stop for 10 hours on Friday and another 11 on Saturday. Over 200 games were played this past weekend - that's over 1000 games now total on this PROTOTYPE! This hand built machine still has all the original coils, switches, targets, plastics, and electronics from when we first revealed it - I'd say we have a pretty solid machine with solid electronics. Makes me very confident in the robustness of the P-ROC system and the quality parts I'm getting from my vendors.

It was also nice to see that game times ranged greatly as well -it's tough to design a pinball machine that's not too easy or too hard, I think WOOLY has done a great job of finding the sweet spot. The Grand Champion spot for the weekend was set at 171 million and apparently was a real treat to watch them play. They did a great job of strategically and methodically going through the game and capitalizing on the big points at the right time - it was great to see them play through the game as intended for the skilled player - setting up your 2X bonus shots, building your hurry ups and modes, setting up Fates 2X scoring and then smoking the heck out of the big shots. It was also really refreshing to have all the beginner pinball players step up and have a great time playing it and learning what to do relatively quickly. The hurry-ups are all pretty self explanatory and other than knowing you need to hit a few of the lightning targets to light the mode start, the rest is seems to be straight-forward for most people.

Overall, I was really happy to hear the game ran and played so smoothly We have a couple of minor trough issues yet to deal with but that's primarily due to the old style trough and hand made switch assembly on the first prototype. WOOLY2 will have a newer style ball trough with built in switches and optos for a simpler, more robust build.

I'd like to send a quick thank you out to Chris at rockcustompinall who graciously provided a hand-made undercab lighting kit that he seemlessly had wired to just connect with our P-ROC system. This bad-boy was tied in with the mode lights and flashers and provided some really cool ground lighting effects during gameplay. Also a big thanks to Cointaker for supplying the LEDs that lit up this pin so nicely.

After this weekend, we got another large group of people on the "list" - as usual, if you'd like to show your interest in WOOLY and be tuned in for updates and possibly owning one of these pins someday please email me at [email protected]

Next stop - the second, new and improved WOOLY prototype at the Chicago Pinball Expo in October! Hope to see you there.

#380 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Still not able to get you to come to Madison the weekend of Sept 13 for the big local charity event?

Working on it... unfortunately those weekends are typically spent in the north woods hunting, fishing, and clearing the clutter from the brain for a while. Will also depend on the status of WOOLY2. Not sure when you need an official yes from, but I won't really know that until more like August....

#384 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Based on the videos I saw, one seldom reaches the upper plateau (which looks cool !).
Is the ramp shot from the upper right flipper the only way to get there?

Yes - the upper ramp is the only way to get there. The frequency of reaching Olympus all depends on your skill level. Ascension to Mount Olympus was intentionally designed not to be an easy feat, however with a little practice it's not overly difficult either. Granted I have a bit of time on WOOLY; I can typically reach the upper playfield at least once a ball on the current prototype. The next build will have stronger flippers and a few other adjustments to put the ball on the flipper more precisely which should make achieving this shot more consistently. Reaching the heights of the gods has its rewards though - multiball, lighting locks to start another multiball and a good chunk of points. I will say, when you do make the shot, it feels really damn good.

If I had to draw a level of difficulty comparison, I would say that this ramp shot is similar to TRON's upper ramp shot or even like the new Star Trek ramp shot while trying to hit the ball on the fly. Both of which take some practice IMO to do very often.

1 month later
#387 9 years ago

Hello everyone! Been a while, but I have some good news to post. Tomorrow I will be picking up our brand spanking new playfields for the next WOOLY build and retrofitting the old. Combine those with the precision cut ball guides, laser cut-professionally printed plastics, CNC'd ramp forms (still for prototype purposes at this time) and we're looking really good to have a "production" level looking machine ready for Expo this year.

Along with that we've been busy adding lots of new software and tweaking the existing software for improved gameplay. Most notably we've added a few more mini modes that are accessed by specific shots to targets on the playfield which will start hurry ups without having to begin one of the monster or god modes - we've found this really helps make the game more fun for the casual player who hasn't learned the rule set and that just wants to bang away at the machine but still have some fun things to go for. One of my favorites which will be fully realized on the next prototype is the "O-L-Y-M-P-U-S" loop that once spelled will cause Hades to pop up out of the playfield and require bashing back down to the underworld (right now the place holder is the right ramp). We also replaced the hand made trough that managed to get WOOLY through a whole year of game play and two major shows but has gone the way of the dodo and replaced with modern trough system. As always, we're continuing to debug software (it's by no means perfect), add depth to the game, working on audio and sound, and most importantly discovering ways to make the game even more fun to play.

If you're interested in getting on the "interested" list in a potential production run of these machines or just want to be in the loop on announcements please email me at [email protected]

100_0893.JPG100_0893.JPG

#397 9 years ago

Yup, that Spooky Pinball does some INCREDIBLE work. Very lucky Charlie was able to slip my project inbetween all the other work he's churning out. Great guy with a great business.

2 weeks later
#399 9 years ago

Hey everybody, quick update on the next build. After travelling for work I finally got a couple of good days to put some time into the next prototype build. Below are some pics of the progress. Hoping to have my ramps finished by next week and then get everything wired up. Was really helpful having another whitewood machined to test fit ball guides and see how everything is matching up in the cab. As always if you're interested in more info on WOOLY please email me at [email protected]

photo 4 (4).JPGphoto 4 (4).JPGphoto 4 (3).JPGphoto 4 (3).JPGphoto 3 (4).JPGphoto 3 (4).JPGphoto 3 (3).JPGphoto 3 (3).JPGphoto 2 (6).JPGphoto 2 (6).JPGphoto 1 (9).JPGphoto 1 (9).JPGphoto 1 (8).JPGphoto 1 (8).JPGphoto 1 (7).JPGphoto 1 (7).JPGimage.jpegimage.jpegimage (5).jpegimage (5).jpegimage (4).jpegimage (4).jpegimage (3).jpegimage (3).jpegimage (2).jpegimage (2).jpegphoto 5 (1).JPGphoto 5 (1).JPG

100_0893.JPG100_0893.JPG
#407 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Wow, looks great Scott! Way better than your thumb for instance, damn!

Lol. Yeah, my thumb lost the battle with the car door. Wow did that hurt...

Quoted from JoelOmatik:

I'm digging the speaker panel. Everything looks amazing. Question, how did you cut and make brackets for the metal ball guides?

They were precision laser cut based off my CAD databases. I couldn't be more happy with how they turned out. A couple of tweaks needed for the next proto but things are looking really nice.

Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

Cool..........are one of those mine????

For sure! As soon as that check for a million dollars that you sent me clears.

In any case, lots of wiring to do now after the holiday...

#414 9 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

I just realized you changed the Escape gate/right return lane to a smooth metal blend. I like it! Looks like a souped-up Fathom return lane. How does the shooter wireform work? Does it stop just above the upper R flipper, to set up a skill shot upstairs, or does it go elsewhere?

Yeah, the gate we had in before just wasn't cutting it and I wanted to give the safe escape orbit every chance it could to have a nice smooth flowing ball to the flipper. At the right speed the ball is moving nicely through now.

The wire form ramp brings the ball up immediately following the plunger shot, travels the length of the playfield and then dumps in the same spot it did on the previous prototype. So far this shot is flowing very nice and smooth making the "freaky" skill shot tough to get (as it was intended) and setting up the plunge to get the ball all the way around the left orbit and down to the flipper for the skill shot to the right ramp more feasible. All in all it's a cleaner, more robust design and aesthetically I think it looks nicer too.

1 month later
#418 9 years ago

"There can be only one." Oh wait, now there's two.

After a few weeks, the last piece of the puzzle, the ramps, were molded. For being prototype wood molds without any polishing and then hand cut by yours truly, I think the ramps turned out superb. It's great to have solid, one piece ramps for this next WOOLY prototype.

This week I plan on discovering the hundreds of hours of code updates my programmer has been putting in to the game since April when WOOLY was shipped over to him for showing at Allentown. It's been 5 months since I played a game of WOOLY and am super pumped to see these new awesome features and rules. I hope to get a new game play video made and uploaded in the next couple of weeks.

Also of note, this new prototype will be at EXPO this year. Additionally I will be giving a 30 minute seminar on how to design and build your own pinball machine. For those of you who have thought of or dreamed about building your own game, please plan on attending and asking lots of questions - I hope to be able to walk you through the ins and outs and pitfalls that I've blundered through on these pinball builds.

As always, if you're interested in WOOLY and want more information, please email me at: [email protected]

photo 3 (3)-742.JPGphoto 3 (3)-742.JPG
photo (5)-560.JPGphoto (5)-560.JPG
photo (6)-98.JPGphoto (6)-98.JPG
photo (4)-569.JPGphoto (4)-569.JPG
photo 1 (7)-628.JPGphoto 1 (7)-628.JPG
photo 2 (6)-320.JPGphoto 2 (6)-320.JPG

#422 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

great!!!
Any idea when your seminar will be at Expo?
Also, any chance I can twist your arm to make it to MRP now that #2 is alive?

Schedule still has not been defined for me at Expo. I won't be getting there until Thursday afternoon so I expect my seminar will be on Friday or Saturday.

Would love to make it to mad rollin' but I still have that other conflict that weekend. WOOLY2 will be publicly unveiled at Expo.

#425 9 years ago

1) Is there an estimated price? Still being determined.
2) Is there an estimated date of building/shipping? Hoping to start a small production run in early to mid 2015.
3) Is Spooky going to build games? Manufacturing location is still being determined.

#430 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

1) Do I still have my original spot on the list?

Yes.

Quoted from wcbrandes:

is there a list? besides name collecting? Whysnow is always been a sneaky little devil!

There's always a list. Everyone who has emailed me with interest in WOOLY has been put in order on the "interested list." That list also includes those that attended Expo last year and Allentown this year and expressed interest. Those on the list will have first access to new information and to games if/when they get built.

#433 9 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Looks nice will it have more flipper power then the one at expo last year.

Yup - expo I was using 50V supplies. This baby uses a 70V supply and really snaps the ball.

#436 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

one above whysnow right?

lol. yeah, you're at the -1 spot.

1 week later
#445 9 years ago

Quick update:

- Second WOOLY prototype is flipping and running new code seamlessly. New 70V power supply is really giving the flippers some pop!

- New prototype is running all on it's own brains - cubie board is installed and working great. Flipping the switch on the machine turns it on and loads everything up just like a normal pinball machine. WOOLY1 was working like this for Allentown this year, but this is the first time I've had a chance to see and play with the internal computer. Pretty cool stuff.

- From a development perspective we have the option now to select which version of the software we're running for either playing on WOOLY1 or WOOLY2 - - this is awesome - now my programmer can continue to make improvements for the overall code as well as updates for the new machine with the new mechanical features.

- HADES pop up out of the playfield is working great! It's really adding a whole 'nother level of fun and comic relief to the game. Excited for people to play it and check it out at expo.

- WOOLY2 has a slightly adjusted upper right flipper location and is a marked improvement over before. Making the upper playfield ramp shot is much easier now and the upper orbit loop is much smoother and faster.

Stay tuned for more info, videos, and rules overview.

#452 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Thanks Scott for the update! Can't wait to bash these HADES trolls (euh... not trolls... monsters?) Wish I could make it to the expo.

Who is doing the programming? Is it a secret ? (or did I missed prior information?)

Yup, Frank, aka luvthatapex. Aka code master supreme. Aka the bomb.

#454 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm really looking forward to seeing you guys at Expo. Great work.
Email sent a couple of days ago to be added to the list. No word in return but I'm assuming you got it.
Thanks

Please email me again - I did not receive it. [email protected]

I almost always respond within a few days, so if anyone emails me and does not get a response back within 3 days please feel free to follow up with me.

1 month later
#457 9 years ago

Hello Everyone! Been awhile since the last update, thought I'd post some quick pics. Sorry the quality isn't super duper - been spending more time on testing and the code than promotional stuff, but thought I'd show a complete game with the lights on in attract mode. The new cointaker LEDs in WOOLY2 really, really pop. Pics are with the overhead light on, directly overhead - you can see the inserts still shine through very nicely. Fun to play with the lights on or off. I think people are really going to get a kick out of this at expo.

So more news, HADES pop up toy and Pandora's Box are now fully functional. We have three hurry-ups that activate HADES and gets him to rise out of the playfield and taunts the player with some comedic relief. Pandora's Box now enables a 3 ball multiball - releasing those balls for chaos to ensue across the playfield.

For those on the "WOOLY" interested list, watch your email closely next week - a more thorough update with more exciting news is coming your way, along with more details on the deep rule set we have in this machine.

If you're interested in getting on that list, email me at [email protected]

ps. EXPO - I'm planning on having WOOLY ready for playing Thursday night through Saturday night during the vendor hall hours. Don't forget to come see my seminar on tips and tricks and info to build your own pinball machine.
photo 2 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPG
photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 1 (1).JPG

#461 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

WOW
Looking forward to laying hands on this bad boy!!!
When is your seminar at expo?

12:15 on Saturday - Apparently I get to give my seminar about my virtual pinball design turned into a real pinball machine directly after another seminar about virtual pinball design turned into a real pinball machine.

#462 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Can you or someone record the seminar so us unfortunate ones that are not there can listen?!

I won't be recording it, but I'm sure someone from the Expo team will be recording the Expo events.

#476 9 years ago

Looks like the cat's out of the bag. For those that haven't checked their email and are interested in the private message I sent to those on the WOOLY list, you can find the info here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-wrath-of-olympus

As always, please feel free to email me with questions, comments, concerns, or to bs.

[email protected]

#480 9 years ago

Behold! The "Immortal Combo!" Pinball's first 9 consecutive unique shot combo.

First person to complete the immortal combo at the Chicago Pinball Expo wins a free Wrath of Olympus Translite!

Shots:
1.Left flipper to right orbit,
2.Mid left flipper to safe escape orbit,
3.Right flipper to left ramp,
4.Left flipper to right ramp,
5.Right flipper to left orbit,
6.Right flipper to medusa orbit,
7.Mid right flipper to upper orbit,
8.Mid right flipper to upper ramp,
9.Left flipper to VUK.
immortal_combo.jpgimmortal_combo.jpg

#482 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Hum... seems really challenging!
How often do you achieve this 9 shot - combo ?

I came close once - missed one of the easiest shots of all - number 9 to the VUK. That's why it's the immortal combo - you have to be a pinball god to do it.

#485 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

How much is the combo worth? Do your initials get added to an immortals list?

It's worth a lot. Points are all relative to each game, are they not? We're still in the process of tweaking the points to make it worth the right amount. And yes, eventually you'll get your name on a special list of "immortals." Right now we have the high score board and a titan champ board for collecting gods, titans, and deities as you play.

#488 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Sorry if this has been answered, but any chance this will be at York? I loved it in Allentown, keep up the great work!

Unfortunately, WOOLY will not be at York. Timing is too close to Expo and my budget is very limited for shows.

#494 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Do you get a reward (talking about points) if you achieve part of the immortal combo? (say the first 6 shots for example...each successive shot scoring more than the previous one?).

We don't have the programmed yet, but that's an interesting idea...

#503 9 years ago

Quick flyer release. Those interested in owning a WOOLY of your own someday, please email me at:

[email protected] for information!
WOOLY_flyer.jpgWOOLY_flyer.jpg

#504 9 years ago

Alrighty - here's a link to a sneak peak at the second WOOLY prototype game play video. Couple of notes:
1. The HADES pop up toy is just a placeholder right now - the final version will be a hand sculpted head of HADES with flames behind him back lit with LEDs.
2. I wanted to show that when you're on your game you can play for a while, and when you make mistakes you're gonna pay for it. WOOLY really has a good feel for that - it's challenging, not "easy", but when you hit the shots you need to you can really get into the game. In my opinion there are no "the game screwed me" shots that are out of your control - the few opportunities where that might happen we have a ball save in place to make sure that when you're balls over it's because you lost control (ie. the VUK has a ball save (although I've never seen it kick it out between the flippers, the kick-back has a ball save in case it misses or kicks the ball up and back down between the flippers, etc.). Pinball is challenging enough.
3. Yup, we still have some minor bugs and stuff to tweak and work through. Pretty amazing to think though that for most of WOOLY's life the game and programmer were over a thousand miles apart...

As always, if you like what you see contact me! [email protected]

#505 9 years ago

ps. be sure to change the video quality to 1080p and crank up the volume!

#509 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Nice!
Unfortunately I'll have to wait about 13 years until I'll be able to get away with having bare boobs on a game that's in my house.

Yeah, ironically my wife likes them. I'm sure I can come up with a special decal that would blend in nicely and hide any nips if people are nervous about that...

#513 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Game looks fantastic - lots of flow in that thing!
One question...
The upper playfield looks like a bit of hassle to play because of how shallow it is. I won't be at expo so I won't get to test that myself, but does it feel a bit clunky/rushed in terms of gameplay? Not rushed from a production or design standpoint!

It will "feel" different for everyone - but keeping with the design theme for WOOLY I wanted something that was just as fast acting on the upper playfield as the lower. Skilled players can trap the ball up there and take their time and make precise shots left to right and minimize their risk (although we added a timer to keep play moving). Also, I wanted the game to focus on the main playfield, the upper playfield is more of a novelty or a fun "toy" so to speak and helps set up more unique combo shots.

#518 9 years ago

Thanks for the thorough review mof. I'm glad the CAD overlay I sent you was helpful. Here are my comments:

1) Eliminate Dink-Donk.

Right lane orbit probably isn't going to change. 1) The physics involved getting the shots to flow past a flipper along a ball guide on the lower and upper was a tremendous amount of work and positioning tweaking. Not to mention it's position completely impacts the three shots - upper orbit, upper ramp, and top drop. 2) The right orbit exit is smooth on clean shots as designed. I like how if you try to swing at the ball with the right flipper and miss, well, that's your fault and I've added a random factor in the game with letting the ball bounce down on top of the right sling. Adjusting the wall and angle has multiple influences on the ball especially at high speed and right now it's tuned for a clean orbit shot. There are tons of examples of pinball games from the past that use this technique - slow balls coming down the orbit hit the slings. POTC is one that comes to mind - 100% of balls ejected from the chest have similar behavior.

2) Flipper Bounce.

Will be adjusted.

3) Make your lower PF “hotter” in terms of slings/pop sensitivity.

Gap in the slings right now is set for the prototype so I don't beat the crap out of it too much - yet. May tweak it for expo. Sling sensitivity I have found varies greatly from player to player.

4) Player sound.

Good suggestion, I'll think about it.

5) PF glass.

Yes previous videos had glass off - pinball machines are VERY loud with the glass off.

QUESTIONS
1) Upper Left Flipper “money shots”

Upper left flipper is mostly there to facilitate another way to get the ball to the right flipper via the safe escape route. I have found this most useful when you miss the left orbit and it dribbles back down, you can hit the safe escape and return the ball to the right flipper and attempt your shot again. Secondly, it is critical for hitting the pop bumper intentionally as one of the skill shots as well as it is easier to hit the pandora lock targets located near pandora's box which are critical for locking balls in the box to start pandora multiball.

2) SUTM.

SUTM - the drop target is SUTM and is utilized (probably too much) in other hurry-up modes not evidenced in the video where the pay out is going up the middle and bashing the drop center. Also we added a degree of difficulty by requiring players to hit the white stand up targets that lace the middle shots in order to even light the mode start. My own personal pinball play style is usually to avoid straight up the middle and try to get lucky with sling hits that accidentally send the ball up the middle and hit targets. So, yes, I have a lot of fun going up the middle but i only do so when I need to.

3) Pop up Toy.

Watch more closely. The toy is directly in from of the mid left flipper and pops up about 2:25 in.

Thanks again mof. I'm sure you had similar questions to others and it was nice to get them together in one spot.

#526 9 years ago

The topic of deposits and how that relates to build order came up in another WOOLY thread. Thought it might be useful to post here as well considering this is the main WOOLY thread:

I'd rather not get into this into too much detail, but thought it might keep things back on track - the original interest list was just that - a list for those interested in WOOLY. It was my original gauge on whether or not the time and money spent in the last year was worth it for trying to do a small production run. Those individuals who saw merit in WOOLY and got their names on that list have had first dibs at the limited 250 WOOLY's and will have that option until this Thursday when the second prototype goes public at Expo.

The build order is approximately based on when you get your deposits in. It's the fairest solution I can think of - those that really want a WOOLY and want it sooner than later are welcomed to get their deposits in as soon as they can in order to secure that priviledge. Some have already contacted me with alternate forms of payment or let me know in advance of when said payments would arrive and I have held their place in line.

So, long story short - if you were on the mailing that went out and want a WOOLY, get your deposit into me by Thursday and you'll be in on the build. If you were not on the list and want a WOOLY, the sooner you get your deposit in, the more likely you are to secure your spot in line.

As always feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions.

#528 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I wonder what these alternate forms could be...

Lol. Hadn't thought about it like that... anywho... what was meant was instead of paypal payments, deposits can be sent by check to my PO BOX or by cash in hand at expo.

#531 9 years ago

Wow! Another fantastic Pinball Expo in Chicago! It was great to meet so many new people and catch up with those from last year. Wrath of Olympus had an outstanding showing. The game was on for over 20 hours over the course of the weekend with well over 400 plays on it. It was great to see so many people enjoying what our team has poured so many hours into making. We also learned a lot of about the code and mechanics we currently have in the game and it was great to have the opportunity to be able to catch some of the things that we can make improvements on as we get closer to production.

Just as a reminder, the game at expo was our second prototype with a brand-new, professionally made playfield that utilizes state of the art direct print technology and is clear-coated like tradtional pinball machines. The plastics are all new, also with vibrant direct printing. Metal work was all custom with laser cut precision ball guides and brand new wireforms. Our ramps were off of newer prototype molds which will also be upgraded when we go to production with high-polish tooling for maximium transparency. All electronics, coils, hardware, etc. were brand new on this machine and is very close to a production equivalent. A complete list of what will be included in the final production machine will be released later this week, so stay tuned to this thread for more information.

In regards to the nudity - after speaking with Charlie from Spooky Pinball, we will be able to provide a playfield and plastics without nudity for those that would prefer it. We will offer our customers the option to chose the original vision of Wrath of Olympus or a family friendly version without nudity on the playfield, plastics and DMD animations.

From a game play perspective we could not have been happier with what we saw over those 20+ hours. The game saw a great range of ball times from very short to very long for both skilled and novice players. It truly has some unique shots with great risk reward that keeps the game play fast and exciting. In regards to modes and scoring, we found it interesting that the highest score on a single ball (200 million plus) was achieved without even starting a mode! For those people that just want to step up and start playing a game, there is plenty in WOOLY that keeps the game fresh and interesting with plenty to do without having studied our extensive rule set. For those on the other side that want a deep game, there is plenty in WOOLY to keep you satisfied for years to come with tons of modes, tons of hurry-ups, challenging multiballs, secret modes, and wizard modes to keep you coming back for more.

We would love to be able to get the game out to more shows by the end of the year for more people to play and experience, but unfortunately the reality is there isn't a lot of time or budget, but we're committed to the game and we're going to do what we can to promote it. We understand that a big part of purchasing a game is getting to play it first and get a feel for whether the game is fun and fits your play style - for those waiting to play it first or on the fence about ordering, we urge you to watch the videos, email me with questions, and read all of the reviews from people from all over the country who have played the game and have loved it. There's a common theme in the reviews that I have read - it's fun.

With that, stay tuned for more specifics on the production build, along with more videos on what WOOLY has to offer, and as always please email me at [email protected] with any questions, concerns, or if you'd like to order your own Wrath of Olympus!

-Scott

#533 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

As soon as Neo sees this he's going to PMing you asking if there's an option for a version with more nudity.

Lol. We actually had just as many people asking for MORE nudity as those asking for a family friendly version... Always two sides to the fence... I'm just glad we can offer both options.

#534 9 years ago

BTW - this picture is a pretty good showing of how busy our game was ALL WEEKEND. Glad we had such a good turnout, hopefully everyone that wanted to play got a chance to get to the game.
photo (3).JPGphoto (3).JPG

1 week later
#540 9 years ago

Another quick video update - this vid shows off a couple of the new features in the second Wrath of Olympus prototype that was built. Reminder, this prototype was built with a direct print and clear-coated playfield, direct print plastics, two new toys - the HADES pop up toy* that rises out of the playfield and the elusive Pandora's Box that's used as a physical ball lock to unleash a multiball. *note - the HADES target will be replaced with a hand sculpted HADES head for production.

Those interested in more information or who want to order their very own WOOLY please email me at:
[email protected]

Enjoy and don't forget to adjust the video quality to HD!

#545 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

great new video!
I would like to see the release from pandora be just slightly quicker. Bam Bam Bam! Just enough time to launch and load for the next shot. I love a frantic MB start that engrosses you in the game. Frank > need to build up some more POWER with this multiball unleashing. (Think Adams or now Klingon form starTrek where the tunes and light syncs and raw adrenaline gets you pumping!.)

Lol - that's exactly what we've been talking about - I LOVE the way Addams multiball starts up - just gets your adrenaline pumping.

Good point about the timing - we'll look into speeding up the ball release...

1 week later
#549 9 years ago

Hey Everyone! Got another minor video update showing off a fun, unique feature that we're working on in this latest prototype. Please keep in mind that the concept is very preliminary and the video doesn't really do it justice. The basic idea is that you can easily load a bunch of your own music onto the Wrath of Olympus pinball machine and then access and play that music while the game is in attract mode.

For more information on Wrath of Olympus or to order your own game please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

#555 9 years ago

Thanks for the bump Christopher! Great time for a WOOLY update!

Just wanted to share a bit of new information with everyone. We are currently in the process of getting the original prototype fully up to speed with all the latest toys and improvements that were implemented in the second prototype. Ideally we’ll have two machines all with professional playfields and up to date toys, mechs, electronics, et. in the coming weeks.

We have also been very busy adding to the code, fixing little bugs, and implementing other updates. Many of you had a lot of great suggestions and comments that we’ve been busy working on adding to the software package. Some of these include:

-Bypass Pandora’s jukebox by pressing START during attract mode.

-Monster and god modes are now RANDOM instead of sequential: once mode start is lit and the center VUK is hit one of the four monsters will be chosen at random. Once all four monsters are played then you ascend to challenge the gods. Ares, Poseidon and Hades are then randomly selected – once all three have been played, then you challenge Zeus!

-Crafting of the Main Wizard mode has begun. Without giving away too much detail, the main wizard mode is entitled CHALLENGE OF THE GODS. After beating all of the monsters, all of the gods and passing SIRENS to safety, you will start the challenges. There are 5 challenges, and each challenge gives you a quality of immortality. Each challenge has different tasks and new battle music. Each musical selection follows the theme and sets the mood of the challenge. Complete all 5 challenges and you are awarded with IMMORTALITY and you get your name in the journals of history – i.e. initials on the leader board. There will be an option for home setting to go directly to CHALLENGE OF THE GODS – this will make the wizard mode available to players who would like to experience it but may never reach it during a normal game (however this option will not allow the player to register their initials on the leader board). Also of note, if you play all the monsters and gods but do not defeat all of them, you will return to battle the monsters and gods that you did not previously defeat before (for instance if you failed just one monster initially, you would only have to go back and defeat that one monster in order to get to CHALLENGE OF THE GODS).

-Tournament mode and options are under development.

Thank you to all those who have trust in us to deliver a fantastic pinball machine next year with their deposits. It’s a challenging time for pinball with much uncertainty, but I can guarantee to those who have already put a deposit down and to those thinking about it that you can rest assured that you will see open communication from me and quick and prompt handling of questions and issues that may arise from now until games are ready.

We continue to get orders in on a weekly basis and have a strong base, however we still have a ways to go to get to 100 orders. As always, if you have any questions or concerns that may be holding you back from ordering this one of a kind pinball machine, please email me at [email protected]

1 week later
#578 9 years ago

Hello Everyone! I've been a little quiet lately, thought I'd post another quick update. We've been busy with getting prototypes ready for shipment between developers as well as more software updates and programming additions. The second WOOLY prototype with the additional toys and upgraded playfield, plastics, ramps, ball guides, etc. has been successfully shipped from MN to my programmer in PA. While Skype has been a wonderful tool for doing code testing and debug, there is nothing quite like having the game in house for quick turnaround on testing. The first prototype is currently en route back to MN where I will be upgrading it's "guts" with the new playfield, and all the other upgrades and new toys etc. In the next couple of weeks we'll have two machines all at the same build level.

In the meantime programming will be able to make leaps and bounds during the next few weeks; hopefully we'll have another good video update to show off all the latest software features. Most of the work that's currently being done includes the rule set to our wizard mode -Challenge of the Gods. It will have five levels that have you pitting against the gods for one final attempt at immortality. Each level is different with unique objectives - it will be skill based and not just a flail fest at balls all over the place. The first challenge requires you to complete certain parts of the immortality combo in order to advance - luckily though, the game will not require the entire combo all at once to ascend to the next level.

As always, if you have questions or would like to place an order for your own Wrath of Olympus, please email me at [email protected] Thanks!

1 week later
#582 9 years ago

Hello WOOLY fans - I have another quick update for all of you. We received a lot of positive response on being able to access the Challenge of the Gods as a special game play feature - based on that interest we started coding in some other options for the home user as well. All of the god modes will now also be accessible through the menu so you can practice those individual modes without having to try and play through the whole game to get there.

We are also taking a somewhat novel approach to additional software updates down the road. Since Greek history is so full of characters and stories, we’d like to expand WOOLY's rule set to include other characters as well. This will effectively extend your journey with the Wrath of Olympus pinball machine through the addition of mini games. These mini games will be accessible from the start button as choices. You can choose to play a new mini game, play a trainer for one of the god modes, or play the full game. These games can easily be installed and offer a whole new and unique playing experience. Our plan is to develop approximately 5 additional mini games and roll them out over the first year.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to post or email me at [email protected]!

#596 9 years ago
Quoted from Tangiers:

Is the update something that can be shared? The game seems like it could be very good but I am not yet ready to put in a deposit. So any information would be appreciated.

Hi Tangiers - the update I sent out was basically a comprehensive collection of the mini-updates that I've been posting in this thread as well as a brief summary of the answers to a few of the questions that have come up. The only real new information I communicated was the current status of how many WOOLY orders have been placed. As I stated in the email, right now we are a shy of 50 orders and have a ways to go to get to 100. If you or anyone else that is currently thinking about ordering one of my pinball machines but have some lingering questions or concerns that I can help answer please feel free to email me. [email protected]

#611 9 years ago

Hey Guys - thought I'd just chime in real quick on support. From a hardware perspective almost all of the parts are standard pinball parts readily available for purchase from vendors like Pinball Life and Marcospecialties. The custom parts for WOOLY will definitely be available for purchase if you'd like to have spares, etc. I imagine we will have a few extras held over in inventory as well as being able to get more made in the future. Second sets of high wear/risk plastics will be included with every pinball machine. Keep in mind that the first WOOLY prototype was built essentially from buying things off of the internet and then making a few of those custom parts - keeping your game fresh and replacing any worn components should be pretty straight-forward. From an electronics perspective, we are using the P-ROC which has been proven to be a very stable, robust system for many years now across the globe. Gerry Stellenberg's commitment to quality in his pinball controller products is astounding and his support system for his products follows suit. The CPU is also a robust system that could easily be replaced later on with a variety of other comparable products as well as the power supplies being available from multiple vendors. In regards to software, we're dedicated to making this game as good as it can be by adding additional game code, fixing bugs, etc. - these games will be in our homes too - we want the best!

#619 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

3Q of 2015 for what? Starting to build them or deliver them? At a build rate of 2 games a week some of these will push into 2016.

All dates have been estimates - if we stick to our proposed plan and are able to start ordering parts and getting everything ready for the build, and if we don't run into any issues (like part availability being the number one issue) we should very realistically be starting the assembly proccess at the end of Q2 with first games leaving Spooky's doors in Q3.

This leads into another reason we are trying to get a committed 100 buyers - this gives Spooky the confidence to hire on more staff to greatly increase their output to change that 2 pins per week number to something much higher. From his perspective, it's understandably a huge risk to take on a bunch of new help and not be able to keep them busy - knowing the orders have been placed goes a long way to mitigate that.

#634 9 years ago

"Planning to pm Scott for the update, but wonder if it there was a possibility he'd post a link instead ,,, or even start an official official thread that he keeps locked down from posting."

Please feel free to send me a PM, in the meantime we are planning to start an official update thread after the new year and we proceed into production (assuming we get our 100 orders) where everyone can go and get direct info without having to dig through 100's of posts.

"One thing that bothers me is theme."

Sorry, nothing I can do there on that one. Everyone has an opinion...

"Software is very important to many people and I could see a huge benefit to publishing the current rules"

PM me and I'll send you a copy of the rules and future plans. Everyone that has already expressed interest in this project and has emailed me directly has received a copy of the rule set.

"Otherwise, I would honestly need to play 20 games on a production model, before I dipped into the prepay model again."

Prepay model isn't for everyone and that's understandable. Hopefully we get to our build number and get some more WOOLY's to shows so you can get your 20 games in.

"Nobody likes the non-refundable part but the comfort of knowing if cash flow gets tight, my money isn't gong to be spent willy-nilly until game is 100% developed and ready to be manufactured."

Up until all of the second round of deposits are in at which time we will be moving into manufacturing, the money is refundable. After that your deposit money will be spent on parts to build your game, which, pending any manufacturing issues and your order in the build, should be made within the next 8 - 12 months or so after the deposits are collected. I realize to some that is a while to wait, but that's part of boutique business at this time - we're going to do everything we can to speed it up. Just don't want to over promise and under-deliver.

1 week later
#635 9 years ago

Another little video mini-update. Video shows a couple of things: accessing the mini-game modes as an alternative to standard play, quick peak at the first level of our multi-leveled wizard mode, and lastly an optional fix for the "dink-donk" some people have commented on when the ball feeds slowly from the right orbit.

As always, feel free to email me at [email protected] for more information or to place an order!

http://vimeo.com/114195352

#642 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

where is MOF?
I thought for sure by now he would have seen that the right orbit return has been tweaked!
SWEET!!! Really love how it returns different, yet consistent depending on the speed of the ball.
Anyone paying attention can tell you guys are really listening to your customers/potential customers, filtering through, and making good changes!
I am super impressed and continue to be so with your attitude and responsiveness on this project.

We're doing what we can to make the game as enjoyable as possible for everyone. After lots of debate and testing we think we've found a good compromise. After EXPO it became clear that 99% of the time people try to hit the ball with the upper right flipper (whether it made sense or not strategically); on missed shots this allows faster game play and getting the ball back to the flippers quicker... Nice thing is it should be a simple swap of a rubber on a post to get back to the original design intent if you liked it the way it was shown at Expo... Always nice to have options.

#676 9 years ago

Another week gone by and another quick update on WOOLY progress. From a software perspective we continue to refine and finalize the wizard mode. As of now we have 5 levels that are playable once you complete all 8 monster/gods and sirens, as well as being available in the mini-game menu to play just for fun. With the Greeks being fond of poetry, each level has its own rhyme and its own challenging requirements to pass. Details of each level will be shared later with a special spoiler alert for those wanting to discover them for the first time in game play, as some of them I find to be quite unique and fun.

Level 1 – A CHALLENGE OF ENDURANCE TO GIVE ARES YOUR ASSURANCE.
Level 2 – POSEIDON TESTS YOUR CONSTITUTION TO ENTER THE IMMORTAL INSTITUTION
Level 3 – LIGHT THE LAMPS THAT HADES SET - AVOID THOSE THAT ARE LIT FOR THEY UPSET
Level 4 – STAND FIRM AND FACE ATHENA’S WRATH, FIND YOUR WAY THROUGH HER WEAVING PATH.
Level 5 – DEFEAT ZEUS’ ARMIES TO OPEN THE PORTAL – TO OLYMPUS CLIMB AND BECOME IMMORTAL.

We also have the “Demi-God” mode programmed. Once a player has challenged all of the monsters and gods but has not defeated all of them, they will start battling the first monster that was not completed. If you defeat the monster you are battling, you continue to the next monster immediately, and so on through the monsters and gods up to zeus. If you complete all 8 monster/gods in the demi-god challenge, you immediately start the wizard mode.
At this time the programming for Wrath of Olympus is nearing completion. Next on the list is to code the TOURNAMENT mode settings (balanced scoring/no ballsaves/no extra balls/etc) along with continued testing and debugging. By the end of December we hope to have finalized code where players can expect to play a complete game knowing that additional updates in the future will be done to fix any bugs that may have been missed along with providing additional new and unique mini-games. As always, we will also be listening to our customers for their feedback in regards to improvements to the code and updating/implementing those changes and ideas that make a good fit.
Questions, comments, suggestions, and information on ordering can all be sent to [email protected] . Thanks!

#680 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Any developments on voice work or tunes that you can share?

Currently we have plenty of options on both the music and voice-overs. However, we are currently waiting on pulling the trigger on them until after December when we know the projects is a go or no go.

#682 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Yeah, that aspect seems to be a hurdle for some before ordering.

The music will always be a hurdle for some people regardless of whatever music we put in there. We're going to try and find something that fits the best (may even solicit the opinions of those who have actually put money down) but at the end of the day you can't please everybody.

#684 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Totally understand and don't blame you, but as I stated above, it has created a chicken/egg scenario for some contemplating pre-order.

So very true. I feel like we're dealing with this on many fronts. At the end of the day, I'm hoping that Wrath of Olympus' innovative playfield layout, unique and fun gameplay, deep as heck rule set, original (IMO fantastic) artwork, history of solid communication, 3 previous public showings (2 Chicago Pinball Expos and Allentown), Spooky's committment to building great games and our commitment to providing a one of a kind pinball machine is enough to overcome personal opinions about background music and the quality of voicework (of which can be altered later as needed).

Unfortunately, I think the biggest hurdle we are dealing with right now, and rightfully so, is the pinball communities lack of trust in start-up companies. Hopefully our decision to partner with Spooky pinball to get these games made wins that trust.

#691 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Awesome work. I am a novice when it comes to understanding DMD wizard modes and the expectations people have around them. A few questions...
How many other games on the market have this many wizard modes? Is this a first or second or third ever -- being this thorough and varied in the ways you can play out the ending?
Has any other vendor allowed the "try wizard mode first" option, or is this a first -- I think it's a fantastic idea. The other day, I got the genie for the first time ever on TOTAN, and I muffed it -- cause I didn't know what to do. What an upsetting experience. LOL.
"Code completion" has been a loud and disappointing topic in a few other threads for other vendors.
Forgive me if you've already addressed "code completion" in this or other threads.
How % complete is your code base (0-100)?
The fact that you started as a virtual pin -- did that give you an advantage when it came to programming the game? Were you able to re-use anything, or did it just mean you had your "outline" complete and tested, which gave you a huge speed advantage?
thanks,
-mof

Good questions Mof... I believe my TZ at home has the home ROM which if I remember right maybe lets you try LITZ..? Can't remember exactly, but I think it also lets you practice the upper playfield and battle the power too. But yeah, I can't think of many that let you practice that, which I always thought was sort of a major bummer - how many times do you actually get to a wizard mode, let alone fully understand what you are supposed to do, let alone actually compete at it. In any case we thought it would be fun to be an option and most of all we want WOOLY to be FUN.

Code completion - I'd have to really defer to my programmer on this one, but from a rules implementation perspective I would think we are well past the 90% completed mark. Of course the code completion hinges on months of testing and debug - those last few percents can take a VERY long time to finish. Luckily more than just one WOOLY exists in the world and one of those machines happens to be with my programmer and he is feverishly working on making this game run perfectly.

Ironically ZERO, zip, zilch of the virtual code was used in the real machine. Everything has been re-written from scratch by Frank, my programmer, and integrated with bits and pieces and help from other parts of the great PROC pinball community. More than anything the virtual game was a great tool for getting a feel for the shots and a feel for what other people thought of the game in general - LOTS has changed from that digital game from a few years ago...

#692 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Why not solve that issue by producing a finished machine for people to buy instead of relying on others to finance your game?
Clearly, the pre-paid system is totally broken. If you really believe in your game, why not do what CPR did - and every other business since the dawn of time does - and get personal loans, load up credit cards and borrow money from family to bring your vision to life?
If you don't want to take that risk, why should others take it for you?
Don't get me wrong - WOOLY is certainly one of the best homebrew games I've seen and could proudly stand next to a Stern, once it's totally finished. But asking others to risk their money is clearly a bad business model and it would suck if you got dragged down with all the others.

It is what it is. I'm not in a position to acquire the kind of tremendous financing needed to make this game and risk losing everything, especially with the pinball market today. Why should others take the risk? If they love pinball, support new manufacturers like Spooky Pinball and if they love this game. If they trust my business model and trust that the money coming in is going to be spent solely on their game then it's a much smaller risk for them.

#694 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The point is, a customer shouldn't have to *trust* you. The list of people they've trusted so far have pretty much all failed them. Why is it the customer's responsibility to take *any* risk at all?
Perhaps the problem you're having in getting people to pony up a $1K deposit is precisely *because* they've been burned enough already on this backwards financing model.
Maybe you'd have no problems selling 100-150 machines if someone could just order it finished and ready to go, and not have to *trust* you.
If you can't get the seed funding together to make it happen, maybe it shouldn't happen.

Like I said, it is what it is. If you support it then support it, if you don't then that's fine too.

#739 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

My apologies if this is an intrusive questions, but I'm just curious if there have been any release of pre-order numbers/info (how many ppl have pre-ordered). Would love to see this, and other projects, succeed...just anxious to hear how close Scott, Frank, and Spooky are to making that happen.
Best of luck, guys! Your Expo example looked great.
Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

Right now we are shy of the half-way mark. Still a ways to go and will be looking at our options after the 1st of the new year.

For those people who are interested in buying the game but are hesitant to send a check in these last couple weeks before we figure out our plans for moving forward, please email me and we can discuss your options. [email protected]

1 week later
#751 9 years ago

Hello Everybody! I hope everyone is having a great holiday break. We have another quick mini-update:

We have the first version of COMPETITIVE PLAY in place. This is a tournament type mode that is available by pressing/holding both flippers for 3 seconds during attract mode. You’ll get a 9 second countdown to HIT START and if you start a game during this 9 seconds, the game changes to COMPETITIVE PLAY. We will enable more features in the future for competitive play, but wanted the basic mode enabled in version 1.0 of the software.

We will also have 2 options in the service menu for COMPETITIVE PLAY:
Allow Competitive Play => YES/NO (select YES if you want to allow competitive play on the game. By default it will be YES, but for those that want this feature disabled, it’s an option)
Force Competitive Play => YES/NO (select YES is you want to force the game into competitive play. This will be for parties, tournaments, competitions with friends, etc. so you don’t have to hold the flippers during attract mode to enable competitive play. It will retain this mode as long as the selection is YES in the service menu.

Features of COMPETITVE PLAY:
· Balanced scoring.
· No extra balls (except for completing Poseidon/hades as these are completion awards)
· No pity extra ball
· 5 second ball saves for monster/god modes/Cyclops
· 5 second ball save for skillshot/plunge
· Athena is pleased loop awards 1 million for 9 loops
· Pandora mystery award is always 1 million
· Titan Awards are always 100k

Over the next week we will playtest the changes post-expo (the 2 wizard modes, minigames and competitive mode) and fix any bugs encountered, then mark the gamecode complete for version 1.0 of the software.

What is the significance of version 1.0 of the software? Version 1.0 of the software denotes a complete game. The original vision has found a real home with all of the modes, features and gameplay now complete. The game will get many more updates along with the way to production, but this is a milestone we’ve been working very diligently on for the past 18 months – and we are very excited that it has arrived.

As always, please feel free to email me if you'd like more information or have any questions!
[email protected]

-Scott

#757 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is that a fair comparison though? Wasn't WOOLY already coded for the virtual machine?

Actually, the code was completely rewritten for running in python by a completely different author on top of essentially being a completely different game. For those that have played the two versions, the real WOOLY is much different from a rules perspective and has so many more features, modes, multiballs, special toys (Hades, Pandoras Box), etc. From a code perspective they are essentially completely different games.

#780 9 years ago

For better or worse, I set out to design and build this pinball machine to be epic. I really didn't want another run of the mill pinball machine with fewer features just so that it could be made profitably. Just wasn't a part of my original intent. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't change anything - I'd just start the project two years sooner. Besides, my BOM for a big company would still fall in line with what they are doing today. Reality is I've gotta spend 2-3X for some of the same parts because I'd be buying 100's and not 1000's.

As for rehashing why we are not having STERN or JJP, etc. making this game for us - believe me, we would have been more than happy to sell the game and rights to either of them to make WOOLY available to more people - they're simply just not interested. It can be brought up over and over again, but as of right now that hasn't changed. Besides, Charlie has stepped up to the plate for me, bent over backward to make incredible playfields and plastics, and I want to support him and his incredible business which is actually shipping complete pinball machines. We'll do everything we can to make that happen and keep some variety in the world of pinball.

#796 9 years ago
Quoted from angus:

Did Spooky need deposits up front to build the game? Absolutely not. There are some people willing to put up cash and wait. I'm hoping between all the alternatives Scott will find a way to build it. But needing pre-orders isn't an absolute necessity, it is just the easiest way to shift all the risk to the buyers. Some are willing to take that risk, good for them, I'm grateful for those that do so hopefully I can own this game. But I'm not willing to do that.

Actually, yes, I believe Spooky did require deposit money up front to build most of the first batches of AMH. Same as my business model though, that money was spent on parts for your machine.

Also note, that AMH does not have the significant amount of custom ramps and other parts that require a large amount of capital investment to get made in bulk, which makes it a little easier to do smaller start-up runs without investing a ton-o-cash.

#811 9 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Is the project dead if he does not get 49 more orders today? I could be persuaded to buy one. But no bother if this is dead in 8 hours.

For those who are genuinely interested in placing a deposit on a Wrath of Olympus pinball machine but share this same concern with sending money only to have it refunded, please email me at [email protected] There are options available to help address this.

#816 9 years ago

Hey Guys! Charlie from Spooky Pinball was nice enough to have me on his New Year's podcast! Check it out if you want to find more information on the Wrath of Olympus pinball machine - there's great information on the background and development of the game throughout the interview! Thanks again Charlie and Joe for having me on the show!!

http://www.spookypinball.com/podcast-2/

#818 9 years ago
Quoted from leisure:

Will give a listen. Just curious now that we are short half of the required preorders, what now?.

I will be posting an update on our status and plans for moving forward in the next week or two. I have some phone calls to make, emails to send, and decisions to make in the meantime... Stay tuned...

#862 9 years ago
Quoted from Tangiers:

One thing that is unclear to me is when assembly of the machines would actually start. I know that they could start running the playfields and getting the plastics ready as soon as the 100 are ordered but would assembly wait until all of the AMH backlog is completed, or would it be run by new workers at the same time?
It is still very tempting to me to get in on this but the waiting game is very tough on me.

This question has come up a couple of times. Charlie and I have spoken about this and everyone can be confident that when WOOLY has the green light to move forward, Charlie will be scaling up his operation (which includes bringing on more staff) to greatly increase output. Time will tell how many pins per week that ends up translating to, but I can say it will be many, many more pins per week than what they are shipping now.

#877 9 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

Wouldn't it be easier to sell ten planks to ten distributors instead of 100 times one to individual collectors?

Yes, that would be easier... but selling to distributors means they need a cut which changes the business model as compared to selling direct to customers... which then in turn changes the minimum build requirement.

#958 9 years ago

Hello Everyone -

Now that a couple of days have passed since my email to those customers who placed deposits, I'd like to give a very brief status update (if you placed a deposit and have not received that email or have not responded to it, please contact me).

Back in October we announced that we would begin taking orders to see if there was enough support to get these games built through the pre-order business model. I made it clear that the money would be held until January and we would evaluate if we had enough orders to really make this feasible through that business model. Unfortunately we did not reach that number. True to the original agreement, money has been refunded or is in the process (awaiting email responses from customers).

This does not mean the project is cancelled or dead. It just means we need to restructure and look for alternative ways of moving the project ahead. Business is business and business climates change for a variety of reasons. It's ok, we just adapt and do our best to figure out the best solution while maintaining our integrity.

With that said we are looking into other financial options at this time whether they be through a distributor model, or via investors. If you have interest in either of these please feel free to email me at [email protected] so we can discuss.

As for music, audio call-outs etc. I believe this topic has been talked about at length over and over again on this thread. Everyone has very valid points, however I'm not sure if there is a lot of value in continuing to berate the subject and dilute this thread. We will be doing what we can to ensure there is wonderful and unique music that fits the majority of people's personal likes as well as doing what we can to improve the voice-overs and call-outs to professional level quality. As it's been noted before, there are still going to be haters even with professionals doing the work - music, sounds, and art in general are very subjective and that's probably what makes them such emotional aspects of our lives.

As always, for anyone else that is looking for more information on Wrath of Olympus please feel free to email me.

-Scott
[email protected]

2 weeks later
#1018 9 years ago

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in real quick. Thanks for all the continued suggestions on how to keep moving this forward. I'd just like to reiterate, restating the same thing on this thread doesn't really do a lot of good, other than make it harder for other people to find quality content (neither does posting something just to piss someone off).

Just to make it clear - selling a "kit" isn't possible right now. To all those that believe otherwise, well, good for you. Besides the dozen reasons I can give on why it's not going to work, the simplest is that as of right now you simply can not buy about a dozen or so "standard" parts needed to build even a single WOOLY. Besides all the work that would go in to managing all of the custom parts for the paltry half dozen souls brave enough to want to invest $7K+ in building their own (yes the BOM on a single build is about $7K) - I would personally feel pretty stupid if I spent that money and then found out I had to wait indefinitely to get a couple of key parts in just to finish the game. This of course assumes you're technically proficient enough to properly wire and assemble an intricate electro-mechanical device perfectly the first time.

In the meantime, we're still exploring other options and continuing to find legitimate means of moving this forward. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to email me direct as usual at [email protected]

4 months later
#1178 8 years ago

Just wanted to drop a line and say that we're still alive and kicking. I'm taking a very detailed approach to the process of looking through our options on moving WOOLY forward. There is nothing concrete at this time though; production continues to be on hold. I also can't confirm or deny that WOOLY will be at EXPO this year or any other shows, but I hope to have a significant update in a few months. As usual, please stay tuned to this thread and if you are interested in being on the WOOLY mailing list please feel free to send me an email at: [email protected]

1 month later
#1206 8 years ago

Hello WOOLY Fans!

I have some exciting news for everyone. In March I decided to move forward with finalizing my bill of materials and locking down exactly what it takes to get a few more WOOLYs made. After a deep dive into vendors and discovering what parts were available and in inventory, I found that I would be able to build 4 more WOOLY’s. There are a handful of game specific parts that simply are not being manufactured anymore and I bought the four sets that remained (to go into a full scale production, these special parts will need to be re-engineered and manufactured new). I reached out to four of my first and biggest supporters and we decided to move forward with plans that two of those supporters (also good friends) would physically build their own games alongside me as I built the other two. There are probably many people reading this that may be frustrated in the last statement or wondering why they weren’t included in the build - my only answer for you is that there just simply were not enough parts to cover for everyone, while I would have loved to include more, it just simply was not physically possible at this point and I’m sorry if anyone feels bad because they weren’t included.

So the journey began – ordering parts, managing suppliers, sending updated files out for fab, planning, planning, and more planning. It literally took from March until now to get all the parts in. I will say this once more – the most tedious, time consuming, pain in the ass, dreaded part of pinball building is dealing with parts (ordering, inspecting, managing, and dealing with low stock, out of stock, slightly different stock, etc.).
Last Saturday was the big day when production on the prototype WOOLY’s began. Three guys working in a 300 square foot space on 3 different pins. Quarters were cozy, but was useful to help demonstrate the build and to be able to inspect each step along the way. After 5 days, 3 games were built with an amazing build quality – cleaner wiring, better cabs, better playfield population, etc. These prototypes still used the prototype ramps and fragile 3D printed parts. There are still many things that probably need a tweak, adjustment, production tooling, etc. when moving into full production.

I would like to thank all my suppliers for their help, especially Spooky Pinball for another round of incredible playfields and plastics, Virtuapin for our incredibly well built and precise cabinets, and Multimorphic for top of the line electronics and engineering support. Lastly, I would also like to personally thank my rock star, guru programmer – Frank Gigliotti – who continues to amaze me with updates and enhancements on a weekly, if not sometimes daily, basis that continues to polish and refine our beautiful game.

Anyone interested in licensing the design from me for manufacturing and production should email me at [email protected]. I would love to see more than 6 WOOLYs in the world.

Q: Why the hell did you do this?
A: To prove it could be done. To prove I have a design that can be produced in a reasonable amount of time. To understand completely what my small prototype build costs are. Most importantly to complete my documentation so that I can potentially hand this off to anyone or any company to build WOOLY’s on their own.

Q: Why did you build only 4?
A: I physically could not build more than 4. There were only 4 sets of parts.

Q: Is the music still the same?
A: No, we have brand new, unique, kick-ass music. We have secured a music license. Under our agreement, we cannot disclose until October of this year.

Q: Voice call outs still the same?
A: Voice call outs continue to be worked on and improve with each update. Many have been resampled with better audio. Since expo, an additional 100 callouts have been added.

Q: Why wasn’t I one of the four, I’ve been one of your first and best supporters?
A: Only four games could be made and I had to make hard choices on who could be a part of this.

Q: Are you going to make any more?
A: It is not very likely that I will ever do a small run like this again (no parts), but that remains to be seen. It would be wonderful if a large company that knows how to manufacture pinballs decided to license the design from me and produce them on their own.

Q: Will WOOLY be at the Chicago EXPO this year?
A: To be determined.

P7290257.jpgP7290257.jpg

20150623_222829_resized.jpg20150623_222829_resized.jpg

20150404_150510_resized_1.jpg20150404_150510_resized_1.jpg

20150707_231443_resized.jpg20150707_231443_resized.jpg

20150706_191916_resized_1.jpg20150706_191916_resized_1.jpg

20150709_220318_resized.jpg20150709_220318_resized.jpg

WOOLY.jpgWOOLY.jpg

#1207 8 years ago

20150623_225750.jpg20150623_225750.jpg

20150726_211813_resized.jpg20150726_211813_resized.jpg

20150728_161801_resized_1.jpg20150728_161801_resized_1.jpg

#1237 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

But... why won't anyone say what part is the one with only 4 left?

Ever stop to think that maybe that's confidential information?

#1346 8 years ago

People can speculate all they want, price, parts, whatever, the reality is that no one really knows and most don't even come close to having a clue. I know the situation I was in, know the situation I am in now, and am pursuing another situation for the future.

As for the confidentiality in the parts - if you don't see why I choose to keep them private then, I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do for you. Most people I know completely understand why, and if you've heard any comments at all from any of the other actual pinball manufacturers out there you'll quickly realize that PARTS are one of the biggest issues for them moving forward (with the exception of STERN). Do yourself a favor and search for a single bank drop target assembly and tell me what you find for starters - Pinballlife doesn't sell them, Marco has been sold out for a long time, Bay Area out, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Does WOOLY have any super fancy parts that cant ever be remade? Absolutely not, and that's sort of the sad part - most of the parts issues are actually with what most people would think are stock parts. Can these rare parts (that I literally took 6 months to obtain, paying through the nose for) be reverse engineered and remade? Absolutely! Can I do that economically and make a few dozen more? Not even remotely. Can I do that economically for a run of 100? Yes! I got them quoted and that's why my initial goal with WOOLY was 100 games. My pricing wasn't just pulled out of a hat or my ass; it was calculated very carefully based on hundreds of quotes for parts at different volumes on a complete BOM.

My integrity and honesty is paramount to me. That's why I refunded everyone's money in January like I said I would when we didn't get our numbers, even though honestly that was unpopular with many of my customers. I've been straight-forward and transparent with everything in this thread and on this build. Those that want to sling mud and try to paint my character as shifty or shady because there are certain things I need to keep confidential are just trolling. Those that have been paying attention understand.

#1351 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Well now we know one of the four parts!!!! Just three more to go!

Lol, damn I gave it away! Ahh, actually I just noticed Marco has an old Gottlieb drop target assembly for sale for $90, they only have 1, but that's enough to make 100 games, right? Oh, and people won't care if those 100 games all have mismatched parts either, right?

#1353 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

you could have just said you're making 4 because you owed people a bunch of favors and don't want to make more that.

Dude, seriously, that's so low and so far from the truth. Thanks for the personal attack; you make pinball and pinside such a fun place to be.

3 weeks later
#1443 8 years ago

Mad props to Whysnow for his Mad Rollin' tourney and sharing his pinball machine with so many people - seriously - there's only 6 of these games in existence and he opened his personal game up to so many people to play and beat on. I'm very glad to hear that so many more people got a chance to see and experience the world of Wrath of Olympus in pinball form. His game is truly one of kind, personally hand built and adjusted to the needs at hand. From the videos I've seen of the event and feedback I've received, I've been very happy to hear the game did well. For those that had their own issues with certain shots, well, that's why the god's invented more quarters - to practice and get better. And if after that you still don't succeed, well, the good news is that Gerry's PROC system is so versatile that changing the flipper strength to dial the game in to how you see fit is as easy as changing the volume level on the game.

#1449 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Scott/Frank >> Any idea on where/when is the next time people may get to check out WOOLY in a public setting?

WOOLY will most likely be at Expo again this year.

#1459 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I couldn't find the answer in the fist couple pages of this thread (or the last couple) so I apologize for asking what has likely been asked at some point ... do you currently have any plans to make even a limited run of these? Or is this strictly an original 1 game only? I really love the final game how it all come together. Love the original theme too.

Currently there are SIX Wrath of Olympus pinball machines in existence. As of right now I do not plan on building any more. We are however still actively looking into other avenues to get WOOLY into production.

1 month later
#1597 8 years ago

Hello WOOLY fans! Just got back after the long drive from Expo. This was the third consecutive year in a row that Frank and I have had the pleasure to be able to provide the Wrath of Olympus pinball machine for people to play. Thank you to all the 300+ people that stopped by and got to flip a few games on WOOLY this past weekend.

A couple of quick notes about this year's game: the machine had full RGB general illumination throughout the playfield, including RGB flashers illuminating Olympus, all of which were specifically tied into game play for a much more immersive experience. Imagine battling HADES and all the lights turn red - or challenging the lord of waters, Poseidon, and seeing a sea of blue light wash over the playfield. We also were able to show off our new soundtrack officially provided by Two Steps from Hell. Their epic music is the absolute perfect match for this epic theme. Frank did an amazing job of picking the right audio for the right places. With codes updates from the last year enhancing and deepening the rule set, the RGB GI, and the new audio, WOOLY truly is a complete, immersive experience as you battle your way through the monsters and gods to become an immortal (pinball player - ).

As noted before, we are not taking pre-orders, we are not actively looking to reach 100 buyers or any other specific number. We are still looking into ways to get this game built and will continue to look for new opportunities as long as there is breath in our bodies. The nice thing about pinball design is it has no expiration date - hard to say what the future holds for our project, but it's been an incredible journey so far.

I'd also like to thank everyone who has supported this project over the past few years. Your feedback and encouragement was refreshing and invigorating and really helped keep us motivated to keep improving the game and making it be all it can be.

As always, if you have any questions or comments please feel free to email me at [email protected].

1 month later
#1641 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Also the playfield artwork was fuzzy due to low-res printing. Shot well enough.

Maybe you need to see an ophthalmologist. Playfields, plastics and translite were all direct printed by Spooky pinball from crisp vector graphics in full color at 300 dpi with a stunning clearcoat.

Thanks for the shot compliment though - a fun, good shooting pinball is most important to me anyway.

#1647 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

When I looked closely at the playfield I could see the dithering of the CMYK colours, and the keyline was visibly blurry. 300dpi is actually pretty low-res.

Colors were done in RGB not CYMK. CYMK is old technology and 300 dpi is more than enough for the playfield.

I dont know what your agenda is or why you are so desparate to dump in my thread; but can you go shit in some one else's bowl of cheerios for a while?

Edit - just checked my original files and they were actually at 400 dpi.

#1651 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Wait-a-minute. I thought vectors didn't have a dpi? Hence, why they're vectors?

And here we go.....

Yes, vectors themselves have no resolution, they are mathematical expressions. However, in order to actually print them you have to export them at a specific resolution and physical size.

1 month later
#1689 8 years ago

Hey everyone! Doing a little fund raising. First person to contact me gets first dibs. Selling my original drawing for the WOOLY translite.

Artwork is done on bristol board and is 28"x22".

Own a piece of pinball history! This is the original, one-of-a-kind, hand drawn pen and ink artwork for the Wrath of Olympus pinball machine translite. The first ever pinball machine developed virtually and made real. See the incredible detail in the line work first hand.

Item is ready for custom framing. $750 purchase price includes free shipping in the United States. Also includes a free translite of the finished colored work.

First come first served. PM or email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

20160118_205419_resized_(resized).jpg20160118_205419_resized_(resized).jpg

20160118_205445_resized_(resized).jpg20160118_205445_resized_(resized).jpg

10 months later
#1716 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Its nice that its being updated, but thats a lot of work for 6 machines.

Frank's an animal. 6 machines or 6000, he pours his heart and soul into every project he takes on and makes it the best it can be. I was very lucky to get such a talented person on my team.

#1766 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

yes, but that's because they were buying existing inventory vs a manufacturing run where you'd be sourcing things differently.

Bingo. I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to understand this...

#1824 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The initial approach to building WOOLY involved building the pin themselves.

Uhm, no and no. Our plan from day one was contract manufacturing this through Spooky. If you dont believe me then read the topic that some dude posted with my initial personal email to everyone who was on my interested list spelling out the pricing, delivery details, manufacturing plan and my happy announcement that Chuck at Spooky Pinball was willing to stick his neck out and help get this made through his company.

The rampant running rumor mill is quite interesting, it's just a shame the factual posts in this thread keep getting diluted by other posts claiming to know what's up but dont have a clue.

Regardless of all the other posts from people pretending to know my best business plan forward, it is nice to read the suggestions.

And Lordloss, there are 6 games built. Only 6. Never was more. Maybe one day many more. The forum write up for this game even lists this number as well. You can stop your bs conspiracy stuff and move your trolling to another thread.

#1825 7 years ago

An excerpt from my original announcement: "The best news from this past year is that we now have an agreement with Spooky Pinball for them to manufacture WOOLY! Spooky has shown their commitment to building quality pinball machines and is the only boutique manufacturer that is actually shipping games. They have the capacity, resources and knowledge to build great pins. With Spooky Pinball being able to make our games we felt that we are now ready to start taking official Wrath of Olympus orders."

#1829 7 years ago

I'm still looking into all viable options to get this game built, time will tell. As we know with pinball sometimes time ticks ver slowly. Regardless, Frank's busting his butt to get the code as awesome as it can be and all the other features up and running like color display, color changing GI, etc. while I work on things on my end.

Reality is that whether it is full production or a handful of kits, it all requires lots of capital (ramp tools, custom toy molds, building inventory on criticsl parts, yadda, yadda, yadda) and it's no where near as cut and dry as "just make a @$!&% kit already, I know like 4 dudes that could totally build this and only ask you about a thousand questions" or have Spooky or HW or DP build it. Lots of capital means lots of planning, evaluation of BOM, and leveraging resources.

The bright side is I knew this before we got started, had a plan and didnt get trapped like a few other "start ups" that ended up screwing people out of millions of dollars. It feels good to know that I can go to Expo and not get lynched.

#1830 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Scott you gotta come here more often to squash all the rumor bugs.

Lol, the trolls just find a way no matter what you post and then it multiplies.

#1865 7 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

One more post from me, and then I'll let you guys get back to the more exciting discussion of finding a way to convince Scott to get WOOLY into production! (Sorry Scott ) The P-ROC is part of my business, and my career has been based in logic [design]. So these details are important to me. http://www.multimorphic.com

Great to hear your feedback and info Gerry, and I absolutely have no issues with your posting in this thread. For those unfamiliar with the PROC, check it out and furthermore support Multimorphic and their new pinball platform. Their first game, Lexy Lightspeed, is really fun and a first in pinball. Some say the artwork isn't too bad either...

WOOLY would not exist without the PROC. I'll say it again. WOOLY would not exist without the PROC.

I can't stress enough how grateful I am that Gerry had a complete, working, tested, validated system ready to go when I started this long journey on WOOLY. Furthermore, I'm such a noob when it comes down to fundamental electronics that without Gerry's help in answering some core questions and assisting me as I built and designed this game, there's a good chance it never would have got off the ground even with the hardware. For those looking to start their own projects I highly recommend you give the PROC a strong consideration as you compare against the other platforms that are available now such as the FAST system. Anyone that wants to get into the pros/cons of each is more than welcome to do a search and you'll see plenty of posts on both!

To reiterate Gerry's comment, the BOM costs are a little apples to oranges, and things have changed since 2012 when I first started designing WOOLY. For those reading the thread consider the massive extent of STUFF that we have in WOOLY and that'll help gauge you on what it's going to take if you decide to do your own build.

OK! So, thanks Frank for the great video! For a guy that plays his game every single day religiously, I would've expected a game to last an hour!! Seriously though, thanks for taking the video and posting some new footage.

-Scott
[email protected]

#1881 7 years ago

No pre-order list at this time. Recent update was just to show off the awesome work Frank has been doing on the color display front. Thanks everyone for your comments and words of encouragement.

1 month later
#1898 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I played a few games today and setup the phone low to record one. This is from a 8 years olds point of view
» YouTube video

Great video Frank, you raged on that game! Fun to be able to focus on the awesome coloring you did and not worry about keeping a ball in play! I still get chills every time the ending credits come on and I see the way you tied the music score into the lighting, really cool.

2 years later
#1995 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Dont understand the top left flipper. Doesn't look like it has anything to shoot at.

Without that flipper you couldnt make the legendary "immortal combo" of shooting 9 consecutive shots without ever hitting the same shot twice!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider t-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development?tu=t-800 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.