myc-scanlines (resized).PNG
hydra-hit-scanlines (resized).PNG
medusa-start-scanlines (resized).PNG
minotaur-scan (resized).PNG
cronus-addtime-scanlines (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1824 Reminder of original build plans. Posted by T-800 (7 years ago)

Post #1829 Update that manufacturing options are still being considered. Posted by T-800 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#218 10 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Here's to the return of ORIGINAL themed pins!

I second that. A licensed theme can be both a pro and con. Have heard a ton of people say that would not buy woz, they just don't like the theme. I'm sure the recent 'rock band' themes have lost some sales from folks who just don't like those bands. Obviously a custom theme can be disliked as well, but at least it does not carry the licensing costs.

6 of the top 15 rated games are original themes.

4 months later
#360 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Lol. Sorry, been keeping the updates primarily here on pinside.

Meanwhile Frank is over in the P-Roc forums getting help from Mocean, me and others. I guess we should beat up on him for not sharing the info (although I knew from talking with you at MGC, so Mocean, sorry I guess I could have let you know as well, I keep forgetting your east coast, not west coast)

7 months later
#598 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

crime against humanity

Not sure I would go that far, but it would be unfortunate for many, many reasons if it does not get made.

I've talked with Scott on some ideas on getting the info on WOOLY out there and I encourage the fans here to spread the word to pinball fans that are not on pinside.

Hopefully Scott will reconsider having a drop dead date and be willing to take WOOLY on a spring tour to some of the shows outside the midwest, so more people can see this game in person, although I do understand that can be an expensive thing to do in both money and time off of work.

#607 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

The other deterrent would be support down the road.

P-roc is being used in a bunch of games, so that is a good thing, and those parts should remain available for quite a while. I believe most of the parts are 'common parts', and maybe we will see Scott indicate that Pinballlife or someone else will be stocking a supply of any custom parts. He could also offer a 'support kit' that includes a second of any parts that folks are most concerned about.

Not sure if Scott indicated if the code is open source or not, even if it is not, he could arrange for the code to be in third party escrow so it could be made available if he was unresponsive to issues for a period of time. There are at least two people who have commented in this thread that are more than capable of solving issues with the software.

#621 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

2 of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Frank is a nice guy, not really so sure about Scott

2 weeks later
#730 9 years ago

The reality is you can get a refund up until whatever the date is, so whether the check gets cashed or not is pretty much moot. I'm not totally clear on the benefit of using a check and having him hold it, unless you don't trust Scott to do the refund, and you seem to indicate that you do trust him. Plus, in reality, once you give him the check, nothing stops him from going and cashing it, so you are still having to trust him, so not sure the difference in trusting him not to cash the check vs trusting him to do the refund.

It is more of a pain for Scott to have some check sitting around, but obviously that is his call.

Scott, is it okay if send my $1,000 in all change? It would be mostly pennies and quarters.

2 months later
#1076 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

There are 2 things to remember. Any tracks that use the same audio track (multiple hurryups, etc) will start at the same start point designated.

if the track loops, when it loops does it start back at the beginning or at the offset?

3 months later
#1172 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Once a game is complete with a bill of material , it should be easy for stern or spooky to price them. Maybe they would have a different perspective on what it would cost to make.

Pretty sure Scott has done this, which is what got him to the price point he is at. Recognize that Stern isn't going to touch this under 1,000 units, and JJP does not have the capacity to take this on, especially given how much the could make on this vs making their own machines, so no point in bringing up their names.

Keep in mind there are also plenty of costs beyond the BOM that need to be covered by the price point and I'm sure he and Frank want to end up a little bit of change in their pocket.

2 months later
#1214 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I have some exciting news for everyone.

Gee, not sure that is exciting news for everyone, more like exciting news for four people

Regardless, congrats on getting more of these built, I'm sure the new owners will be psyched to have one of such a limited run of this awesome pin.

#1279 8 years ago

Stern could certainly do this game for less than the 8K, but part of the price would be based on how much profit Gary wants and what Scott wants. But no doubt they could drive the cost of the BOM down significantly as well as assembly costs.

The fact that Scott could not get 100 people to drop $8K does not mean there is not a market for it at that price. Scott was facing a few major challenges. First off the, pre-pay model was already on life support by the time he took this to market. And even though it was a fully working prototype, there was no demonstrated ability to get get them built, which was certainly a big concern for some. Lets be honest, if Kevin could have gotten Predator built in a timely manner, that whole thing probably would not have blown up on him. Getting machines built is tough, just getting all the needed parts is a bitch. In reality Kevin's plan was not that different then what you guys did to build the four Woolys', it would have to just been doing that for a year to get them done.

Second, there is certainly an expectation now that a game for $8K is going to have RGB LEDs and to some, they expect a color display, without those, some would just not be willing to cross to that price point, so that was going to be a limit to the market at that price but at $6500, I don't think that is nearly the same issue.

Third, it is not very easy to market a boutique game and Scott obviously felt there was a limited window to generate sufficient interest to move forward. While pinside will spread the word, it represents just a small portion of the pin community. Getting greater visibility via shows etc would help, but the reality is the cost of doing that, would not necessarily get the needed results, without potentially wiping out any profit. Any other meaningfully form of marketing would also take a reasonable amount of capital, and with such razor thin margins, very hard to absorb that and not lose money on the project.

I have total respect for Scott that he was not willing to risk losing money in pursuit of getting these made. He crunched the numbers, and he saw what needed to happen to make it work, and the numbers just did not add up (something that jpop obviously never bothered to do).

#1299 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The reality is that Stern is mainly employing old farts

I find this to be somewhat insulting, on several levels. First off, there are plenty of guys there I would not describe as old farts. Secondly, you clearly don't appreciate the value of experience. Third, it is also insulting to imply that an older guy can't be innovative (heck, I didn't earn my first patent until I was over 50, and would say I have been far more innovative in the last 10 years then the 20 before that). Not saying that some may stick to what they know and what has worked, and may be resistant to change, but to label an entire organization as 'old farts' shows a lack of respect.

As far as game not being totally coded at release. Stern needs to keep the production line moving and sometimes the varies components of that are not going to come together perfectly in sync. We have all come to learn that is the case, and yes, if you buy early you may be unhappy with the state of it, but upgrading is easy enough when updates are available. Sometimes the 'finishing' of the code may not be to the level wanted, but then again, not all games have or will have super deep rule sets, that does not make sense for Stern. Heck, if Wooly was made six months ago, the code would certainly not have been where it is now or potentially will be six months from now.

Quoted from Whysnow:

nominal per game liscencing fee to Riot.

And how much do you think Stern would be willing to pay? How much to you think Scott/Frank would find acceptable?

#1303 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

retweaking to work in their world of produciton could be a great thing for them.

In general Stern needs to sell X games to be profitable and that number is not 250. They need games that distributors and operators will want and Wooly may not be a theme that meets that criteria. It is not like there is zero cost to have Wooly ready to go. I'm sure many of the parts are not Stern parts. If needed parts don't exist, they need to be fabricated. The code would need modifications to not only work on their systems, but to use some of their standard things such as service menus, pricing options, etc.

Quoted from Whysnow:

When ALL of your designers are very experienced it is time to bring in some fresh blood. You never know when one will quit or leave so best be prepared with some new ideas and new trained people ready to rock.

I'm sure Gary and his leadership team are looking at the future and their need for designers and developers and when they feel they are going to need to replace people they will. Not like all of those guys are going to suddenly retire. Every person you hire impacts the bottom line, and Gary has shown he is smart guy in running a business. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I have no idea but have to assume at minimum they woudl be happy to pay what they are saving in liscening fee from their normal stuff. The paid out the nose for Kiss. I am guessing it really all comes down to the final numbers and other values they get like keeping a second line running in between other games.
I have no idea what Scott/Frank would deem acceptable but I do know that they highly value the idea of getting their creation out into the hands of more people.

As has been said, so many times in pinside, in general, the licensing costs are not nearly as great as people seem to think the are and also bring tremendous value not just in name recognition, but assets, etc. Regardless, you should probably give some thought to these numbers before you say 'they should do this'. I'm pretty confident that Scott has talked with Stern and JJP and since nothing has happened in that regard, I have to assume the numbers did not work. Although, since you have been more closely involved, maybe you know something the rest of us don't. Maybe that will change if either JJP/Stern or someone else sees growing demand for this and more importantly a fit for their strategy. The existing companies all have employees on staff designing, engineering, coding and building games, so the value of a ready to go game from an outsider may not have the value you think it does. In addition, putting a small run game on the line has an opportunity cost associated with it. Is it better to run Wooly or a VE game? Possibly now with a larger factory that opportunity cost may not be as great, but the bottom line there is a lot more complexity to this than some folks here want to recognize.

#1340 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry I can provide an abbreviated list with the innovative single aspects. On the whole all those things make for a super innovative game.

I believe the question was regarding an innovative 'mechanical' toy. Regardless, there is no doubt there are many innovative things in the pin, especially around some concepts for home play. However, many items you list are qualified with 'has not been done for years' or something like that, which means they have been (and in some cases more recently then you think). One of the things I like about wooly, is that they did pull in some of the concepts from the 80s era games. There are also a few items you say have never been done and that is not the case, but it does not real matter and accordingly I will not go through the effort to highlight any of these discrepancies.

Obviously recycling of ideas and concepts has been a common occurrence since life on earth began, and certainly in pinball. However, lets be careful we don't put Scott/Frank into the jpop bucket of taking old ideas/concepts and claiming it is new and innovative, since I have not heard them say that, and I don't think they would.

Certainly credit them for all the things they have done, but please don't say something is innovative, just because it has not been done for 20 years.

#1350 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Do yourself a favor and search for a single bank drop target assembly

Well now we know one of the four parts!!!! Just three more to go!

Anyone who has built a custom game knows exactly what Scott is talking about. I've had to fabricate more than a few parts for my machine, and in some cases I found parts that were close and then modified them to work. Doing that as a one off is fine, doing that for 20 or 30, not so much, but as Scott said, once you get to a 100 or more, it becomes more feasible to have them made.

#1356 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That is offensive and inflamatory I have been in love with this game for almost 2 years now, since I first played on the very first prototype!

That is absolutely true, you have been a huge supporter of wooly for a long time. The difference is now that you no longer have to split your love with Predator, Wooly gets it all, and maybe that is just too much love for any one pin

Well the fact that you now own one of 6, probably contributes to your love as well, which we all get. I am glad you were able to get your pin, but I would also point out that being such a fanatic about it, is sort of like putting salt in the wounds of those that wanted one and for now won't get one.

#1365 8 years ago
Quoted from Volte6:

Out of curiosity, did anybody not from Minnesota/Wisconsin contribute money that was refunded? Honest question... I keep hearing about how he gave money back and was honest etc. (which I believe!), but it would be disingenuous if it was only like 1 person, or if it was just friends/associates saying all that.
Anyone from like... New York? California? Texas? Illinois?

I believe over 50 people made deposits, so pretty sure some of those were from outside mn/wi

Do you really think Scott just gave up at the first roadblock? Do you think he did not look at tons of alternatives? Give the man some credit, and recognize that he has sliced and diced this a dozen ways to try to make it happen in a way that makes sense for him financially.

#1368 8 years ago
Quoted from Volte6:

I guess you're right. I'm sure he WANTS it to be completed. I guess I have a problem imagining a situation I can't design or engineer myself out of.

I'm sure he could design/engineer his way out of it, but probably not in a way that makes sense financially. The price point is already at the high end, adding another 500 or 1000 is not going to work. If he had gotten 100+ sign ups, then maybe the incremenal costs could be managed.

#1376 8 years ago
Quoted from Volte6:

I guess if you consider his time part of the money, but that would be a huge blunder given how much time has gone in already.

Even setting aside his time. Let's take the one drop target, it is made up of, I'd guess 10 parts, unless it is the type that can self drop, which is probably then 15 parts. Some are going to be springs and screws that can likely be found, but the weldment needs to be made. So first you need drawings, then you need tools and/or dies made, so right there you are in for more than a few thousand since the weldment is really four to eight distinct parts and each need tools and dies, and that is before you make the parts and assemble the drop target mech then take that total cost divide that over 50 games and the cost per game is significant then repeat for the other needed parts

#1406 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

We need Legends, but we also need fresh blood.

In many ways the fresh blood is coming from the boutiques and start-ups, who knows, maybe when Stern does need to bring in someone new, they will look at what others in the community of done. Reality is Stern is an assembly line in everything they do and that ultimately limits thing. Revolutionary innovation (vs evolutionary innovation) will come from elsewhere, like P^3.

#1408 8 years ago

I would still call in evolutionary as it was the next logical step given advances in technology and similar use cases in other industries, and in reality could have be done far earlier, but not like Stern needed urgency around it. In fact, SPIKE is essentially a less capable and slower version of the P-ROC/P3-ROC + PDBs that are used in wooly and other machines, and that came around how many years before SPIKE? I guess if you really want you can add that to your long list of 'innovations in wooly', but be sure to give credit for that part to multimorphic. I think Heighway uses some smilier concepts as well, and that pre-dates SPIKE, but I'm not as familiar with their tech/capabilities to say for certain.

2 months later
#1488 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

What's 10 times worse than a nightmare?

jpop

3 months later
#1687 8 years ago
Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks Capt. Neo. if I win big. you all get a Stern Kiss with a boatload of cash inside the coinbox. and will give Scott the cash to start up his own company to produce his awesome game and buy you each one too

and this is why people who win the lottery end up bankrupt a few years later, and heck, no one has even started to ask you for money yet.

10 months later
#1866 7 years ago

comparing p-roc to Heck is not really appropriate in this context. There is no way the Heck board right now could run wooly, without massive work on one or both ends. There are fundamental differences in what the boards do and how they do it. And not only would code need to be different, the entire 'wiring harness' would be different (and likely more expensive in both cost and time). Hard to see is the economics working with Heck, given the amount of re-engineering that would be required, not on a run of 200 machines.

In addition, I doubt that Charlie would object to using a different board set, I would tend to think he would be electronics agnostic when doing assembly work on a contract basis (heck Stern was when doing MMr). And given that Scott had already had an informal agreement with Charlie, I have to think that was assuming it would be P-roc.

Obviously both Heck board and P-roc can work in commercial machines as we have seen. They each have their strengths and weaknesses and I suspect we will continue to see new commercial machines using both. A good thing for all of us.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development?tu=rosh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.