myc-scanlines (resized).PNG
hydra-hit-scanlines (resized).PNG
medusa-start-scanlines (resized).PNG
minotaur-scan (resized).PNG
cronus-addtime-scanlines (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1824 Reminder of original build plans. Posted by T-800 (7 years ago)

Post #1829 Update that manufacturing options are still being considered. Posted by T-800 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtowndobe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1490 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

A pinball kit would be the dumbest idea in the history of dumb ideas.

Disagree.

#1499 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Not saying a kit couldn't work in order to build a game.
Just that there aren't enough technically savy / patient enough people to sell any appreciable number.
But by all means, ignore the one boutique company that's actually shipping games. What would we know?

A tad nearsighted wouldn't you say?

So I presume Spooky's business plan was to try kits first, then when there weren't enough tech savvy / patient people to sell a suitable number, the plan was changed to sell complete pins? If so, I humbly retract my statements.

1 year later
#1844 7 years ago

Seems to me the simple thing to do would be for Riot to come on here and either 1) we're not moving forward with WoOly (for whatever reason - and no explanation necessary), or 2) open the list back up and go from there. Outside of that, everything else is just idle chatter.

I'm personally hoping they open the list back up...

#1846 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Did you look just above?

Sure did...

#1859 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Come on E. Hypothetical >> 3 main components that cost the big bucks and you want to shave costs to push towards a possible production run.
How much fat is there to trim off the pf or cab? vs, how much could you trim from the brains?
that is the point. That is all. Again, love Proc! Love what Gerry has offered and done and I plan to use it in the future when I someday build my own game. This is not a dig against Proc, but a point that in the production world there appear to be more cost effective options.
It does raise the question why Ben is not working with Parker to beef up the Ben Heck board, document, and sell the crap out of it. A single board solution with base code for $500/under and it could be an incubator for future possible Spooky contract builds.

Up front - no horse in this race...

Originally, you mentioned $1K+/- for the PROC, and significantly less for the Heck system. Multimorphic states $664 for one (1) system, with a discounted amount (unknown) for quantity orders. If I had to guess, I would say quantity pricing would be in the low $500 range. No basis for that though!

You've got the Heck system at $500/potentially under with base code. No confirmation of price for the Heck system since I surmise it is not a "commercially available" product - only available integrated with a Spooky machine at the moment. Let's then use your number, $500 per Heck system.

So, a single unit of the PROC for $164 more, with existing code developed, when compared to the Heck system, almost assuredly needing code work. That code work would require manhours, which equals cost. This doesn't factor in any hardware engineering if the Heck system needed to be upgraded to handle the requirements of WoOly. And given the original number of machines to be built, there aren't a lot of opportunities to really spread out new costs, like coding or architecture changes. Factor in a quantity discount for the PROC, and cost discrepancy most likely approaches dips well below $100 per machine rapidly... Not to mention the schedule impact changing control systems would have.

If there were hundreds of machines at stake, then moving to a less complex system and being able to spread any new "development" costs over more machines would certainly make sense. That's not the case here - very limited sample size so to speak.

It seems to me sticking with the PROC would be the sensible thing to do if Riot were to move forward. Of course, total speculation on my part.

#1867 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

no, you missed the actual numbers and points.
Proc actually cost just over $900 for what is in Wooly. Check abouve with the actual price breakdown. If it was supposed to be $664, then Gerry I need some money back
PinHeck board is under $250 cost each and a single board system (that was what I was told for a 1 off board when I asked to buy one), but you are correct that it is currently only a Spooky game use. I was suggesting that Ben should bring it to market for those building custom games and think he could easily charge $500 for a Proc equivalent along with documentation and a base code. I assume the volume discount on these for Spooky is also much cheaper.
That is a $650 cost difference for a 1 off game when looking at retial cost alone.
There is no way Proc is going to make up that difference. Even only building 100 games and that is 65k which I am sure would more than pay for the recoding work needed.

Pretty sure I didn't miss any numbers. You seem to keep making new numbers...! :^) Now you're getting a delta of $650!

So now that we have some new info:

PROC $774 "retail" - confirmed by Multimorphic
Heck $250 "retail" - per Whysnow, not confirmed by Heck

Delta is $524. Probably safe to assume the delta would go down after a quantity discount applied to each, for example:

PROC $774 retail, 10% quantity discount = $696.60
Heck $250 retail, 10% quantity discount = $225

Resultant delta is $471.60.

So if a 10% discount is realistic (probably - maybe more is possible, say 15%, but that just narrows the delta even further in the PROC's favor!), the potential resulting delta is less than $500. Now go back and factor in the changes supposedly necessary to swap out the PROC with a Heck - coding development, hardware architecture to accommodate the specific requirements for WoOly, impact to schedule, increased manufacturing requirements as per Gerry, etc. Seems like the $47,160 cost savings (or $52,400 retail) over a total of 100 machines would get eroded extremely quickly... and result in a longer lead time to boot. Last thing pinball consumer want it a longer lead time!

Let's not forget we're talking about an $8000 machine. If you could simply apply the "retail" delta of $524 as a savings in the price of one machine, you're saving 6.55%. But that doesn't take into account the need for an upgraded Heck board and any other costs associated with migrating WoOly to Heck. I'm all for saving money, but based on what we know, I don't see it happening...

Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to argue the point that for a very small, finite sample like WoOly, making a change to a different controller, given what we know, makes no sense and will not ultimately help get the product to market.

At the end of the day, I'm on board with whatever it takes to get this machine produced - really doesn't matter to me one bit what its guts are!

P.S. I'd be totally in for a kit.

#1871 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

is the game going into production all of a sudden? I must have missed something. I am fine with your point of view, but you d still keep negating the real cost was over $900 for Proc in Wooly. There may be a newer alternative configuration with proc and Pi, but that too would require changes.

Not negating anything... The real cost of PROC, in today's dollars is known. It's not $900. I highly doubt the new architecture of the PROC system would require notable work to integrate, but that is pure, unadulterated speculation on my part.

You're not understanding the basic numbers that you've been providing. This is all a hypothetical situation anyway, until Riot decides otherwise. Point is, as I've been trying to make all along, the ultimate difference in cost is not what you think it is, especially for a finite sample of 100 games. There is no legitimate reason, if the machine were to be made, to switch to the Heck system. And that's not a shot at the Heck system. As mentioned above, both systems have their pluses and minuses... As I already said, the guts inside don't matter much to me.

I thought we were having a spirited back-and-forth - I know the game isn't going into production. I'll bow out now and hope to see a cool announcement from Riot in the future! Game looks amazing - enjoy it and I hope you're able to expose more people to it as time goes on!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtowndobe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development?tu=dtowndobe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.