2 (resized).jpg
skillshot-scanlines (resized).PNG
myc-scanlines (resized).PNG
hydra-hit-scanlines (resized).PNG
medusa-start-scanlines (resized).PNG
minotaur-scan (resized).PNG
cronus-addtime-scanlines (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 41.
#301 10 years ago

Wow, just wow.

Please make sure this thing gets built somehow, some way.

#302 10 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

Please make sure this thing gets built somehow, some way.

There is a way... here is a clue :

Quoted from T-800:

Also as a friendly reminder, the special order information sent out to WOOLY followers is expiring at the end of the month of March. If you plan on ordering any of the packages please email me promptly! [email protected]

#303 10 years ago

Been busy working on the physical ball lock we'll be implementing in the next prototype, this is still a WIP.

Behold, Pandora's Box - Life and Death, Beginning and the End. Ball locks will be lit by completing the ZEUS targets in the upper playfield, balls are locked by hitting the right ramp. When ball lock is enabled they will be trapped similar to LOTR, when not lit they will pass through and go direct to the right flipper inlane. Box will be translucent most likely with "gold" painted highlights. Should have a really cool effect with the lights and flashers shining through when they go off.
pandoras_box_screenie.jpgpandoras_box_screenie.jpg

One last reminder, those special pacakges being offered are expiring at the end of the month. Get your orders in. If you have any questions or want to get on my WOOLY list, email me! [email protected]

#304 10 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Been busy working on the physical ball lock we'll be implementing in the next prototype, this is still a WIP.
Behold, Pandora's Box - Life and Death, Beginning and the End. Ball locks will be lit by completing the ZEUS targets in the upper playfield, balls are locked by hitting the right ramp. When ball lock is enabled they will be trapped similar to LOTR, when not lit they will pass through and go direct to the right flipper inlane. Box will be translucent most likely with "gold" painted highlights. Should have a really cool effect with the lights and flashers shining through when they go off.

One last reminder, those special pacakges being offered are expiring at the end of the month. Get your orders in. If you have any questions or want to get on my WOOLY list, email me! [email protected]

pandoras_box_screenie.jpg 72 KB

looking good

#305 10 years ago

You will feel The Wrath of Pinside if you don't make these!

#306 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

You will feel The Wrath of Pinside if you don't make these!

Lol! After designing the box and getting it into my full CAD assembly, I honestly can't envision WOOLY without it. For something as simple as a physical ball lock, it will add ALOT to the game - achieving the multiball is going to be more interesting (and rewarding), it adds another location to physically stop the ball and show some cool animations, it's a better (more obvious) way to redeem the pandora's box award (enabled by hitting the two stand-ups underneath the box), it's aesthetically pleasing and is kinda neat how it bridges the pandora orbit that feeds the right flipper on the main playfield, etc. etc.

#307 10 years ago

Can't wait to play this!

#308 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Can't wait to play this!

Ted, in 5 weeks you will be able to play a prototype in Allentown!

#309 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Ted, in 5 weeks you will be able to play a prototype in Allentown!

Yeah, but Ted can't wait that long

#311 10 years ago

That box is Amazing, very cool stuff!

1 week later
#312 10 years ago

Well, WOOLY prototype 1 made the long freight journey from MN to PA without any damage or incident. Sigh of relief. Nothing like handing your baby over to complete strangers. For those that can make it, stop by and play a game or two at the Allentown pinball fest in a few weeks!

#314 10 years ago

I am jealous... can't.

#315 10 years ago

Wish I could be there, WOOLY looks amazing!

#316 10 years ago

I'll take some crappy video....

#317 10 years ago

I've just settled in and read the entire thread from go to wo, this is just great.
The absolute hours and hours of commitment that goes into something of this scale,
hats off to you.
Kressy

#318 10 years ago
Quoted from kaboom:

I've just settled in and read the entire thread from go to wo, this is just great.
The absolute hours and hours of commitment that goes into something of this scale,
hats off to you.
Kressy

Thanks Kressy - the hours of work that has gone into this project is pretty amazing. I've been averaging over 20 hours a week for the past two years, combine that with the 700+ hours my software guy has put in and we're getting close to 3000 hours into this project. I'd say we both will still be putting 20+ hours a week into this project for the remainder of the year as well.

I highly recommend people designing their own machines if they have the itch - but if they do, they should be passionate and practically psycho for pinball - 'cause it's a heck of a lot of work and a huge opportunity cost for what you're giving up to be working on the machine and not doing something else - like playing pinball! Seriously though, if anyone has questions on the process feel free to PM or email me and I'd be happy to help/at least let you know the steps I've taken so far.

#319 10 years ago

I did as well, pm sent! I was reading from the beginning which was months out and hoping by the time I reached the end I would be able to buy this one some day! Wooly looks like a winner and the theme is outstanding. I hope you can get to the Pacific North west show in june I would love to try this out duh! Well done!

#320 10 years ago

Ted get some good video and send me a copy along with a Padron anniversary!

#321 10 years ago

Scott at about 2. 32 of your last video posted I noticed the ball go up and over the wall of the clear right hand side ramp. With flippers on weak, perhaps the mold needs a little tweaking to keep the ball down around the sharp corner of that ramp? Either that or steel transition between hardwood and ramp is not flat cant tell where it got lift off. Loving this game. Also Scott whats under the upper playfield? Sure there is no room for drops? perhaps a different exit a la Shadow? Just throwing things around and out there.

#322 10 years ago

Always happy to answer questions -

1) Please keep in mind the machine in the videos and the game that will be at Allentown is a PROTOTYPE that was hand built. There's a couple of things that are getting ironed out in the next prototype and I imagine there will still be a few more things that get ironed out after that.

2) because I built the playfield manually - a few of the inserts didn't end up completely flush and smooth - there are a couple right in front of the ramp entrance that are slightly raised which are causing the ball to hop and jump and sometimes jump off the ramp. Next build will have a professionally made playfield to address this. We also put a clear guard over the top of this prototype for Allentown to stop that.

3) I altered the path on the left and right ramp on the next prototype as well to make the ball bath a little more smooth and interesting - this should also help to keep well struck pinballs completing the ramp shot. Stay tuned for a new image of the CAD model for WOOLY2.

4) I looked long into designing drops or targets under the upper playfield but there just isnt room. All of those things need to pass through the playfield to get mounted and right now that entire area has teo flipper assemblies taking up the space. Considering my design intent was to have a fast flowing game having that area just be a loop seems to work very well. At the end of the day the game already has 14 stand ups, the drops, 3 ramp shots, 5 orbit shots, a VUK, and a subway - it's been my play experience that ha been more than enough in WOOLY to hold my attention and interest!

#323 10 years ago

That Pandora's Box ball lock looks cool.

#324 10 years ago

Well done Scott knew it would have been something you saw and looked at just thought would mention. Not sure why the thumbs down! You certainly have packed a ton in here while maintaining a very good flow! Please bring to the PNW show in June! There's a ton of west coasters i'm sure that would love to see the proto

#325 10 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Please bring to the PNW show in June! There's a ton of west coasters i'm sure that would love to see the proto

Raising my hand!

#326 10 years ago

You should bring this to pin a go go!

#327 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

You should bring this to pin a go go!

Hell yes.
-mof

#328 10 years ago

Thought I'd send out another mini update on this fine Friday. Files have all been sent out for our next set of custom playfields and plastics, all hardware is on hand, and the second WOOLY prototype is going to be well under way. The first prototype has been going through major code updates and mini bug fixes for the past couple of weeks and is getting prepped for Allentown. We've also added some more hurry ups, light shows, custom match animation, a cool ball buster animation, under cabinet lighting, and awards for defeating each monster and god including a couple of fun multiballs as a reward. We still have a ton to add as far as code, audio, and animations, but we're a hell of a long way into the process. The CAD design is pretty much finished as well - check out the images below showing the new ramp designs, integration of Pandora's box, the special door way to confront HADES (by the captive ball - HADES pops up out of the playfield to wreak havoc on the world), and a bad ass custom painted helmet that will be lit indicating "START BATTLE" (mode start) is ready. Also included is another quick video of game play - a little tough to see what's going on, but hey, you can't have too many videos, right?
wooly_update_apr18.jpgwooly_update_apr18.jpg
helmet_painted.jpghelmet_painted.jpg

#330 10 years ago

Great updates as always.

#331 10 years ago

This game looks AMAZING! Can't wait to play it at Allentown!

#332 10 years ago

Simply amazing!

#333 10 years ago

Wow. Way too cool.

#334 10 years ago

this can compete with any 8k pin let hope its 6!

#335 10 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Thought I'd send out another mini update on this fine Friday. Files have all been sent out for our next set of custom playfields and plastics, all hardware is on hand, and the second WOOLY prototype is going to be well under way. The first prototype has been going through major code updates and mini bug fixes for the past couple of weeks and is getting prepped for Allentown. We've also added some more hurry ups, light shows, custom match animation, a cool ball buster animation, under cabinet lighting, and awards for defeating each monster and god including a couple of fun multiballs as a reward. We still have a ton to add as far as code, audio, and animations, but we're a hell of a long way into the process. The CAD design is pretty much finished as well - check out the images below showing the new ramp designs, integration of Pandora's box, the special door way to confront HADES (by the captive ball - HADES pops up out of the playfield to wreak havoc on the world), and a bad ass custom painted helmet that will be lit indicating "START BATTLE" (mode start) is ready. Also included is another quick video of game play - a little tough to see what's going on, but hey, you can't have too many videos, right?

» YouTube video

helmet_painted.jpg 47 KB

wooly_update_apr18.jpg 450 KB

Cool!

#336 10 years ago

Really wish this could make it south to Atlanta in June.

#337 10 years ago

The ONLY reason I'm not considering buying this game is because I can't afford it.

...and I KNOW that's the only reason because after looking at those what-looks-to-be-SolidWorks pics, I'm nursing a semi.

#338 10 years ago

Fricken great layout! With some polish it should be an amazing game.

#339 10 years ago

Absolutely kickass, Scott!

#340 10 years ago

Scott, what is the terminus of the "Start Battle" shot? I can't quite tell from the CAD or the first prototype. Is it a big fat square standup? Is there a drop down in front of it?

Also, in the "Way too much to ask for" category, any chance of Zeus f'ing with you magnetic style?

#341 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Also, in the "Way too much to ask for" category, any chance of Zeus f'ing with you magnetic style?

I have to second this! A magnet would be a perfect fit for the theme. Having the gods randomly reaching down to alter the course of us mortals seems quite appropriate. Perhaps followed by their laughter at us!

#342 10 years ago
Quoted from kjm8888:

Having the gods randomly reaching down to alter the course of us mortals seems quite appropriate.

Or saving you from a premature death: a magna save has not been seen for a long, long time (?). Would love to see that feature re-implemented in a pin. Found it more satisfying than an kickback feature.

#343 10 years ago

RE magnet.

The Hades pop up in the middle of the lower playfield will definitely affect the flow of the ball probably more so than any magnet. - I could be wrong but I am guessing the blue circle in the lower playfield is the Hades pop up mentioned in Scott's post above.

Looking really good. Seriously would consider buying one brand new.

#344 10 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

RE magnet.
The Hades pop up in the middle of the lower playfield will definitely affect the flow of the ball probably more so than any magnet. - I could be wrong but I am guessing the blue circle in the lower playfield is the Hades pop up mentioned in Scott's post above.
Looking really good. Seriously would consider buying one brand new.

The Hades pop up is under the silver and black gate to hades, beneath the captive ball, to the right of the mini flipper.

#345 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Scott, what is the terminus of the "Start Battle" shot? I can't quite tell from the CAD or the first prototype. Is it a big fat square standup? Is there a drop down in front of it?

Start Battle is achieved through 3 different shots - the easiest is a direct shot to the VUK located right under the helmet. The second is done by knocking down the drop target right under the "start battle" text (the CAD render has a white section that will actually not be printed and will be clear so that you can see this path and the drop target - the plastic provides a cool spot for the text as well as being effective at preventing air-balls off of the drop target) and then hitting that shot again will lead to a subway which feeds the VUK. The third method is by hitting the same subway via the upper right flipper just below the upper ramp. We're going to have easy and normal options for starting the battles/modes and I liked the idea of having multiple ways to get to start that mode - as you play you'll find some shots are less risky or worth more and it will influence your shot decision.

Magnets - yes indeed, I thought long and hard about this, but for this version of WOOLY they will not be present. Mostly because there is just no space! I feel like I've put just about everything than the kitchen sink in this pin - the BOM is already getting super pricey and with all the inserts and lamps in the middle of the playfield there really just isn't much room to put those magnets (the ones I've found are a good 3-4" in diameter and take up a lot of space).

Might be a good after market mod for some of those clever pinsiders out there though...

And yes, HADES pops up in front of the captive ball. The god mode insert is a lamp that will flash when the ball saver is on and do some cool lighting effects when you get to the wizard mode. This was a little tribute to my love of video games - in God Mode you can not be defeated, so I figured it would correlate well to a ball save where your ball gets to continue.

1 week later
#346 9 years ago

Just a quick update with a couple more videos shot by my software guru, Frank. WOOLY is prepped and ready for Allentown, be sure to stop by and say hi to Frank and play a game or too of WOOLY. We have the pin running just like a normal pin now with it booting up with the flip of the front cabinet switch (something minor to most, but feels good to have WOOLY not only looking like a normal pin, but also booting up like one!). As usual, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to post them or send them directly to me - [email protected] As usual, if you'd like to get on the list for special updates and offers please email me as well.

#347 9 years ago

Thanks - great. Any chance you could upload the second video (flyby) at a better resolution? The current youtube version would really benefit from it.

#348 9 years ago

Sure. I took it at 720p but for some reason it looks like I uploaded it 240. I will check tonight as I know its still on my ipad.

Quoted from jlm33:

Thanks - great. Any chance you could upload the second video (flyby) at a better resolution? The current youtube version would really benefit from it.

#349 9 years ago

Very excited to play this one. Can't wait for Allentown.

-Jim

#350 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

ok, here is a new flyover I just shot in HD.

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.