2 (resized).jpg
skillshot-scanlines (resized).PNG
myc-scanlines (resized).PNG
hydra-hit-scanlines (resized).PNG
medusa-start-scanlines (resized).PNG
minotaur-scan (resized).PNG
cronus-addtime-scanlines (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 41.
#201 10 years ago

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-40-an-evening-with-scott-gullicks-or-to-the-top-of-olympus_5858

Episode 40 "An Evening with Scott Gullicks or To the Top of Olympus"
- An Evening With Scott Gullicks of Riot Pinball
- Talking his game "Wrath of Olympus"

Had a great time speaking with Scott about the long road to making Wrath of Olympus a reality. Don't miss this, the 40th episode of Coast 2 Coast Pinball!

http://www.coast2coastpinball.com/ - All the podcasts here!
Twitter - @c2cpinball
Facebook - facebook.com/coast2coastpinball

#202 10 years ago

Sweet interview, nice job and thanks Scott.

1 week later
#203 10 years ago

Been kinda quiet lately working diligently with Frank on adding more depth to the software and game play for Wrath of Olympus. Thought I'd post a quick video on how to maximize your score while playing WOOLY.

Besides working your way through the monsters and gods as the primary goal in the game, I've also added some fun rules for the strategic player that they can choose to work through before during or after a mode has started to really make that mode and future mode completions pay off.

High level there are 5 shots with "fire" insert lamps. Once those have been completed the next shot to one of those will result in that shot being worth 2X for the remainder of the ball. Going through and hitting the fire shots again will light a second multiplier - you can do this until all 5 shots will be worth 2X for the duration of the ball.

We also have a cool "FATES" scoring feature. 5 shots to the left ramp spells Fates which starts "Fates Scoring." During the limited mini mode time, all switches on the playfield score either 2X, 1/2X, or 1X depending on how many times you hit the FATES ramp during Fates Scoring. The mini mode starts at 2X - another accidental shot to the ramp will drop scoring down to 1/2X. Another hit to the ramp brings the scoring up to 1X, and another hit brings it to 2X - essentially you control your scoring fate so to speak. If you're planning your game strategy and line up the 2X shot multiplier on the center drop target (completes the modes for big points) along with Fates 2X scoring you can set up at 4X jackpot for completing the monster/god.

In any case, I hope you enjoy the short video and feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions or if you'd like more information or especially if you'd like to get on the "hey! I'm interested in this project becoming a real machine - list."

Next week - first toy concept will be revealed - stay tuned...

#204 10 years ago

When can I expect delivery????!!!!!????!!!!!

I am loving this game more and more!

Please bring it to MGC!

#205 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

When can I expect delivery????!!!!!????!!!!!

I am loving this game more and more!

Please bring it to MGC!

I agree. I like it a lot!

#206 10 years ago

WOOLY was by far the game highlight of my visit to Expo this year. Really looking forward to seeing more of this great table....

Later,
EV

3 weeks later
#207 10 years ago

Bump, this should have been the highlight of expo along with spooky pinball , heighway pinball and anyone doing something new instead of a rerun of a 20 year old game. I want to play this game. It looks like the coolest thing I have seen in pinball in a very long time.

#208 10 years ago

Fantastic game. Some of you were fortunate enough to see and play the real thing... wish I were closer!

Quoted from mrgone:

Bump, this should have been the highlight of expo along with spooky pinball , heighway pinball and anyone doing something new instead of a rerun of a 20 year old game.

Sadly so true...

#209 10 years ago

Oh lots has been done since expo on Wrath. I will defer to Scott for the news... Suffice it to say there were software and hardware additions since expo. Stay tuned!

#210 10 years ago

Fantastic stuff mate. This is like a dream, building your own pinball.

I wonder, is it decend to ask what it will cost to do all by your self? Time not included.

I would love to start a project like this, but i am afraid that a NIB is even cheaper. But no idea.

Have fun in in the final stages!

#211 10 years ago

Hello. I'm building a virtual pinball machine and I'm wondering if this is the same game as the virtual wrath of Olympus?

#212 10 years ago

Yes, the game was first made into a virtual pinball, then about a year later, Scott decided to make it for real.

The software started from the virtual pinball version, then we decided to make it a DMD and its been changed to a more modern game with DMD animations, combos, different modes, etc. There were also some hardware changes and a few more to come, but basically yes, you will get an idea of the game from playing the visual pinball version.

Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Hello. I'm building a virtual pinball machine and I'm wondering if this is the same game as the virtual wrath of Olympus?

#213 10 years ago

Hey Everybody! Sorry been kinda quiet lately but I've been busy wiring in lots of new hardware on WOOLY and Frank's been working like crazy writing software for this beast.

Here's a quick update:

We now have 8 flashers wired in and going through some sweet light shows. Working on finding the best placement for them, but so far things are looking really nice. For those that were at expo and saw the apron with the flames you'll be excited to see we have incorporated two flashers under the apron that will go off making it look like the games on fire.

Just today, I got a ton of GI lights installed that will all be uniquely controlled by the P-ROC along with an animated back box - yes indeed, the power and anger of Zeus will be flashing in fury during game play. We've just started the process of writing code and testing/debugging the GI.

Also still working on the two other toy designs. Current prototype may be hard to get them physically installed, but I'm optimistic we'll be moving on to building at least two more prototypes and with a little luck maybe even a small run or more of this machine. As mentioned earlier in the thread please email me at [email protected] if you're interested in this pin. If you already emailed me then tell your friends! The more people I get on the interested list the more likely this pin becomes a reality.

Stay tuned for more updates... (Video below is just a first run at the flashers and lamps in an attract light show - GI shown is what was at expo and does not include more recent hardware updates).

#214 10 years ago

Wow - these flashers are strong !

Quoted from T-800:

you'll be excited to see we have incorporated two flashers under the apron that will go off making it look like the games on fire.

That should be awesome ! Less sure about flasher in your eyes during a game...fortunately I am not epileptic!

Quoted from T-800:

we'll be moving on to building at least two more prototypes and with a little luck maybe even a small run or more of this machine

Making a small run of this game would be awesome! I don't care if I buy one in a series of 20 games only, even if you can produce hundreds later.

Quoted from T-800:

If you already emailed me then tell your friends! The more people I get on the interested list the more likely this pin becomes a reality.

Done on our French forum !

#215 10 years ago

I hate you!

#216 10 years ago

I would like to be in on this one as well if it can get to market...looks outstanding in such a short amount of time!

#217 10 years ago

This is the most impressive thing I've seen on this forum by far. All I can say is WOW! Awesome art, theme, great layout, great rules and innovative features going on here. Here's to the return of ORIGINAL themed pins!

#218 10 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Here's to the return of ORIGINAL themed pins!

I second that. A licensed theme can be both a pro and con. Have heard a ton of people say that would not buy woz, they just don't like the theme. I'm sure the recent 'rock band' themes have lost some sales from folks who just don't like those bands. Obviously a custom theme can be disliked as well, but at least it does not carry the licensing costs.

6 of the top 15 rated games are original themes.

#219 10 years ago

email sent. LOVE Greek Mythology and pinball!

#220 10 years ago

The biggest problem with a license is not living up to expectations.

This is a great pin, that just happens to have a great theme. If the same game was changed and licensed as let's say Sony's "god of war" then you run the risk of haters nit picking the little things that don't matter; like "I don't like the look of art work compared to the game." Or something like that.

With an original theme people are more likely to take it as it is. Rather then look for possible things that were missed.

Great work. I like this a lot.

1 month later
#221 10 years ago

Hey guys and gals, thought I'd share a quick video of the back box lighting we have designed and installed - looks like youtube messed with the quality again, but you'll get the idea. During attract mode the back box will go through a few routines of flashing - I particularly like the effect on Zeus' hand. During normal game play the back box will be on but during special events the lighting will change like when the lightning targets get hit or when you start a mode - the effects will help communicate what's going on with the game. At the very least it's more interesting than just a light bar in the back box.

#action=share

We also have two multiballs programmed that we're testing out right now - hope to show some videos of that as well in the coming weeks. Stay tuned....

#222 10 years ago

thank you for the updates. im very excited about this project you have created and I look forward to playing it some day.

1 week later
#223 10 years ago

Scott,

I am amazed at your accomplishments thus far on WOOLY. I am one of the many pinheads who attempted to build their own designs (I crudely drilled/routed a playfield and made a foamcore setup), but have come nowhere near you. I live down in Florida and would LOVE to see it at the APE or FPF next year! I understand it's a long haul from Minnesota, but it would be awesome if you were able to. I haven't been to expo since '07, but I will try to make it this year to play it in person. Hopefully Stern or JJP can help mass-produce it!

#224 10 years ago

Read through this thread some time ago, been meaning to comment.

Art is just incredible, really nailed it, looks cool as hell. Layout looks interesting and the upper level is just awesome, the videos are decent but I really wish I could see it in person.

Out of all the homegrown/designed pins, this is my favorite. Damn fine job.

#225 10 years ago

Incredible job so far!

#226 10 years ago

Great job... begging for more !

#227 10 years ago

Awesome, awesome work, Great talent. The most impressive thing to me other than the fact that you can bring together so many different talents to make a design that WORKS is that you can design a playfield where the shots don't feel clunky and forced, and that the player stays engaged because the ball can keep moving.

Already I'm thinking of a playfield mod:

What about Greek columns for the upper playfield? Little marble columns holding up Zeus' temple.

Love it and will keep tabs on it. Maybe you could tap an investor (like a BIG investor) for a medium sized run.... ( > 500)

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Awesome, awesome work, Great talent. The most impressive thing to me other than the fact that you can bring together so many different talents to make a design that WORKS is that you can design a playfield where the shots don't feel clunky and forced, and that the player stays engaged because the ball can keep moving.
Already I'm thinking of a playfield mod:
What about Greek columns for the upper playfield? Little marble columns holding up Zeus' temple.
Love it and will keep tabs on it. Maybe you could tap an investor (like a BIG investor) for a medium sized run.... ( > 500)

Good idea. But the Greek columns must be made of real marble and be part of the LE Supreme Godly edition

#229 10 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words! The team is still busy working hard on adding more code to the prototype and cleaning it up as best as we can. I'm also deep into the process of getting my bill of materials quoted and costs figured out to see if this pin can be made one day. Stay tuned, I'm hoping to have that figured out in the coming weeks.

Quoted from chadderack:

What about Greek columns for the upper playfield? Little marble columns holding up Zeus' temple. Love it and will keep tabs on it. Maybe you could tap an investor (like a BIG investor) for a medium sized run.... ( > 500)

My original design intent was to minimize the supports on the upper playfield as much as possible to have the illusion that Olympus was "floating". Considering I still have the two flipper rods coming down through and the two vertical support posts adding a column shell around them might still look cool... Good idea, I'll have to play around with that.

Always open to investors! Haven't actively been looking but if anyone wants to get in on the action I'd be more than happy to consider it!

#230 10 years ago

Scott, Will you be coming to MGC? (with or without the game?)

hope to see you there!

#231 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Scott, Will you be coming to MGC? (with or without the game?)hope to see you there!

Hey! I'm planning on being there and hopefully the next prototype of WOOLY as well. Depends on a bunch of other factors right now. There's a good chance WOOLY will be at the Allentown pinball show this May though so some of the people on the eastern side can experience it. Depending on how all of this goes will influence other pinball shows through the rest of the year. Lots of $$$ and time would be spent trying to get me and my machine across the country. But I'll see what I can do.

#232 10 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

But the Greek columns must be made of real marble and be part of the LE Supreme Godly edition

Good idea ! (but I would settle for plastic columns for my Pro (Mortal / demigod) edition... )

#233 10 years ago

I'd love to see (as well as others) a Facebook page showing the WOOLY process from start to its current stage, if your busy schedule permits!

#234 10 years ago

mgc gonna be awesome!

#235 10 years ago

any chance of you making it to the Texas pinfest in March?

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

I'd love to see (as well as others) a Facebook page showing the WOOLY process from start to its current stage, if your busy schedule permits!

Good idea... probably need to update my webpage first and then add some content to a facebook page. I'll get on that one of these days.

Quoted from ulmpharmd:

any chance of you making it to the Texas pinfest in March?

I really wish I could, but unfortunately it will not work out for me this year. I lived in Austin for 6 months a few years back and absolutely loved it. Plus I'd love to check out the latest updates on Multimorphic's P3. From the recent updates Gerry's posted it looks like this next showing is going to have a lot of cool things to see.

1 week later
#237 10 years ago

Looks Sweet! Awesome Artwork! Congrats on your hard work
and Success!! Hope to play it sometime

#238 10 years ago

Successfully transplanted the playfield back into the cab last night. It's amazing how much a sheet of wood, some metal ball guides, and thousands of feet of wire weigh... Picture doesn't do the new lighting justice - it's really a major enhancement to the game. Still need to adjust some of the flasher positions, but still really happy with it over all - they provide the right effect without being distracting or blinding. Will probably end up adding one more set of GI above the slings to illuminate the center of the playfield a little bit too for those players that enjoy playing in the dark...

Stay tuned, I hope to have another decent video out in the coming days of latest software updates and some multiball modes.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#240 10 years ago

Looking great! Does this mean you may be a step closer to confirming a MGC appearance?

#241 10 years ago

Wow is that thing looking awesome!

#242 10 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Wow is that thing looking awesome!

+1

#243 10 years ago

OMG... so beautiful!!

#244 10 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

So what is the estimated cost?

Cost and sales price are two very different things, with one driving the other. I'm still in the process of getting rough estimates and quotes back on my component costs and labor. Once all of that gets put together and I decide if the then sales price is reasonable I'll figure out if this project becomes more than just a one up.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Looking great! Does this mean you may be a step closer to confirming a MGC appearance?

Still waiting on the cost to figure out my next plan - really taking my time with that part of it as I really want to make sure I have a good grip on this bad boy before making any major plans. Under or over promising never worked out well for me.

#245 10 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Cost and sales price are two very different things, with one driving the other. I'm still in the process of getting rough estimates and quotes back on my component costs and labor. Once all of that gets put together and I decide if the then sales price is reasonable I'll figure out if this project becomes more than just a one up.

Sounds like a plan. But I assume that to calculate cost on you need to bet on an initial run of xx units (a few dozen? 100? More?). And... what would you call a reasonable sales price?

PS: Might visit the twin cities next July... if there is a chance to play Wooly, that would be great!

#246 10 years ago

This is just amazing. How far you have come!

Any pin with Tool music in it is a winner to me!

Chris

#247 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Sounds like a plan. But I assume that to calculate cost on you need to bet on an initial run of xx units (a few dozen? 100? More?). And... what would you call a reasonable sales price?
PS: Might visit the twin cities next July... if there is a chance to play Wooly, that would be great!

You are absolutely correct - volume absolutely drives price. I don't want to go into too much detail on the forum, but right now I'm just collecting rough estimates on cost, based on a realistic run size, which is based off of a % of the people that have expressed direct interest in this pin. As for a reasonable sales price - in my opinion would need to be competitive with current pin pricing and at a value to me where it makes sense to go through the incredible amount of work and risk to make them. If those things don't line up then I'll need to have a come to Jesus so to speak and figure out all of my options.

In the end, there's a heck of a lot of stuff that all has to work out to even remotely make this a possibility and on top of it all you gotta have the gumption to take that risk - it's been very easy for me to see why other manufacturers have had their struggles to release their pins and I absolutely applaud them for sticking through it and making product (or in a few of their cases hopefully making product very, very soon).

#248 10 years ago

Could you sell your game to Spookie pinball, Stern or JJ for production?

#249 10 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

Could you sell your game to Spookie pinball, Stern or JJ for production?

All options are being actively explored and pursued.

#250 10 years ago

does the game have sound, music or speech? or any
video animation on the Dmd screen? are you ready to
sell me your awesome Pinsanity machine yet. ha ha

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.