2 (resized).jpg
skillshot-scanlines (resized).PNG
myc-scanlines (resized).PNG
hydra-hit-scanlines (resized).PNG
medusa-start-scanlines (resized).PNG
minotaur-scan (resized).PNG
cronus-addtime-scanlines (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 41.
#1651 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Wait-a-minute. I thought vectors didn't have a dpi? Hence, why they're vectors?

And here we go.....

Yes, vectors themselves have no resolution, they are mathematical expressions. However, in order to actually print them you have to export them at a specific resolution and physical size.

#1652 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

And here we go.....
Yes, vectors themselves have no resolution, they are mathematical expressions. However, in order to actually print them you have to export them at a specific resolution and physical size.

How big was the file size for the pf, 2 gig?

#1653 8 years ago

Game just keeps getting better and better. Really like the new soundtrack.

When I see what some of you are capable of it just blows me away, from the art, the programming, to the mechanical expertise, etc....lots of etc.

#1654 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How big was the file size for the pf, 2 gig?

Depends on how it was layered. My Alien playfield file is 4 gigs, but only because of all the layering. If it was done as vectors it wouldn't be anywhere near that big, and when you export them for printing they're likely flattened, so again not too huge. These are good things, I had to upgrade my machine to 32 gigs of RAM because of how my playfield file was ballooning.

300 dpi is more than sufficient to print a great image too. The printing method starts to matter a lot more than the resolution.

Scott, you gave Spooky an RGB file? How was it printed? Is it a direct ink jet that uses more than CMYK?

This is the 3rd year in a row I've seen WOOLY at Expo. Every single year it's looked better and better. And this year it wasn't just that it looked better, it's that it sounded better. The original music really elevated the whole package up.

#1655 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Depends on how it was layered. My Alien playfield file is 4 gigs, but only because of all the layering. If it was done as vectors it wouldn't be anywhere near that big, and when you export them for printing they're likely flattened, so again not too huge. These are good things, I had to upgrade my machine to 32 gigs of RAM because of how my playfield file was ballooning.
300 dpi is more than sufficient to print a great image too. The printing method starts to matter a lot more than the resolution.
Scott, you gave Spooky an RGB file? How was it printed? Is it a direct ink jet that uses more than CMYK?
This is the 3rd year in a row I've seen WOOLY at Expo. Every single year it's looked better and better. And this year it wasn't just that it looked better, it's that it sounded better. The original music really elevated the whole package up.

I would imagine every image of the pf had to be on it's own layer so they could be moved around, enlarged or made smaller etc. When I did my dvd box inserts each image was on it's own layer so that was only about 40 layers tops and a 30meg file. I got all the images and text to fit like a glove so it printed out perfect.

IMGA02891.jpgIMGA02891.jpg

IMGA02891_1.jpgIMGA02891_1.jpg

#1656 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I would imagine every image of the pf had to be on it's own layer so they could be moved around, enlarged or made smaller etc. When I did my dvd box inserts each image was on it's own layer so that was only about 40 layers tops and a 30meg file. I got all the images and text to fit like a glove so it printed out perfect.

What I discovered after upgrading my RAM was that it wasn't the file size that was causing a lot of the problems, but Photoshop was starting to choke on the number of smart objects I'm using. All of the inserts are done with smart object vector bases and rendering them all was making Photoshop an unhappy camper.

#1657 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What I discovered after upgrading my RAM was that it wasn't the file size that was causing a lot of the problems, but Photoshop was starting to choke on the number of smart objects I'm using. All of the inserts are done with smart object vector bases and rendering them all was making Photoshop an unhappy camper.

I only used PS 7 for my work so I didn't have all the new options you have now and I was only scratching the surface of the program too. I think my Mac at the time had the max ram...4gig.

#1658 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Colors were done in RGB not CYMK. CYMK is old technology and 300 dpi is more than enough for the playfield.

Unless there's been a change in the laws of physics and how light refraction works, there's no such thing as an ink printer that prints RGB colour mixes. RGB is a additive light (ie. your monitor which produces light) standard, not ink. Ink *absorbs light*, so it's not an additive process.

RGB is converted to CMYK and ink is applied as a multiplicative process, usually using a stochastic dithering pattern to fool the eye to believe the CMYK mix is a specific colour.

The only way to get true colour is to print spot colours that have been expressly mixed. This is possible when doing screen printing, but generally not with inkjet, which is what I'm assuming your playfield is.

On the WOOLY playfield I saw at Expo, those individual CMYK colours were visible and the keyline - the "K" part - wasn't vector smooth. When you look at 300 (and yes, 400dpi) up close you can see the line edges on curved lines. It's visible. That's why stuff gets printed at 1200dpi and higher, so you can't see the jagged edges. I'm sure the TBL playfields are printed at that res because they were perfect, even up close. Hell, they almost looked screenprinted.

I dont know what your agenda is or why you are so desparate to dump in my thread; but can you go shit in some one else's bowl of cheerios for a while?

Classy. Sorry for offering some constructive criticism to help improve your game if you manage to move forward and plan on making more playfields.

#1659 8 years ago

Are there any videos of the new code?

At this point I'd almost trade my lebowski spot for this game, possibly.

#1660 8 years ago

Two things I'd suggest for WOOLY are re-doing the voice calls and using a color screen (the one in RZSI will have a DVI/VGA version that can work with PROC games)

#1661 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Two things I'd suggest for WOOLY are re-doing the voice calls and using a color screen (the one in RZSI will have a DVI/VGA version that can work with PROC games)

Agreed to both. I thought the voices weren't bad, but they sound a little homebrew still. I think it's harder than people think to sell a character through voice acting. Especially someone like Hades, if you could find the right baritone to really boom out some of those callouts? Something with more bass, with the Two Steps From Hell style music? Would be bad ass.

I've looked into paying for voicework, for pinball stuff it's really not that expensive. Even a game with a lot of callouts still isn't a whole lot of material. It would be a cool indie game topic actually.

The music is so kick ass now, I'd work on getting the vocals up to the same standard. I don't remember the rest of the sound package, hard to hear in a noisy expo hall. But sounds are so important. We're working on a plan right now to up the sound game on Alien, and I'm really happy about that, I think it will go a long way towards getting the atmosphere right. I also really can't wait to hear Hobbit in a home setting, I suspect it's going to be amazing sounding.

And now that there are RGB LEDs on the playfield, if there was a color display it would add up to a package that would go a long way towards justifying the price more in people's minds I think. The DMD is just toast now, we're just waiting for Stern to kick it to the curb too.

Obviously this all easy for me to say! But with all the time and money and work you've put into this, would just be awesome to see you take the whole thing to the next level.

What kind of PC is powering it? Do you have the horsepower to push full rez graphics to an LCD screen if you wanted to do all that work or redoing it in high rez color?

#1662 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed to both. I thought the voices weren't bad, but they sound a little homebrew still. I think it's harder than people think to sell a character through voice acting. Especially someone like Hades, if you could find the right baritone to really boom out some of those callouts? Something with more bass, with the Two Steps From Hell style music? Would be bad ass.
I've looked into paying for voicework, for pinball stuff it's really not that expensive. Even a game with a lot of callouts still isn't a whole lot of material. It would be a cool indie game topic actually.
The music is so kick ass now, I'd work on getting the vocals up to the same standard. I don't remember the rest of the sound package, hard to hear in a noisy expo hall. But sounds are so important. We're working on a plan right now to up the sound game on Alien, and I'm really happy about that, I think it will go a long way towards getting the atmosphere right. I also really can't wait to hear Hobbit in a home setting, I suspect it's going to be amazing sounding.
And now that there are RGB LEDs on the playfield, if there was a color display it would add up to a package that would go a long way towards justifying the price more in people's minds I think. The DMD is just toast now, we're just waiting for Stern to kick it to the curb too.
Obviously this all easy for me to say! But with all the time and money and work you've put into this, would just be awesome to see you take the whole thing to the next level.
What kind of PC is powering it? Do you have the horsepower to push full rez graphics to an LCD screen if you wanted to do all that work or redoing it in high rez color?

That's what I said 2 years ago but about Zeus's voice. How does his voice sound?

#1663 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Thanks Ben, there was a massive sound update in April for the game. 200 callouts were added and most of the existing callouts were modified or boosted to match the new levels. Did you play it 2 months ago at EXPO? This game had the most recent sound updates and new music soundtrack and new lighting.

I haven't decided if I want to re-do all of the assets in color someday. I was more concerned in finishing the gamecode and programming/installing the RGB GI.

#1664 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I haven't decided if I want to re-do all of the assets in color someday. I was more concerned in finishing the gamecode and programming/installing the RGB GI.

color would be sweet!

I will pay for Franks color display setup if you want to do the legwork to make it color (did Frank do the dots or did Scott?)

Side note >> Frank I am almost done with other route pinball stuff so I can get back to fun stuff (i.e. Wooly).

#1665 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I will pay for Franks color display setup if he wants to do the legwork to make it color (did Frank do the dots or did Scott?)

Count me in too. 50% of Riot-Pinball customers already enrolled!

#1666 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's what I said 2 years ago but about Zeus's voice. How does his voice sound?

All I remember was Hades. It's not like it sounded bad or anything! I just didn't think it was quite as polished sounding as the great new music.

#1667 8 years ago

I didn't play it at Expo. Did play Hilton's at Mad Rollin' in September though.

RE: dots... a color display can be cost neutral with plasma / LED so why not? It's not any harder to create dots in color really, aside from the time to re-do things.

WOOLY should have big, booming voices like God of War, Clash of the Titans or Hercules. It should feel like the power of the gods is barely contained in the cabinet, waiting to burst out.

It may sound ironic that I complain about this, considering the flack my game gets in that department. But then who better to say "people REALLY do care about this?"

#1668 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Did play Hilton's at Mad Rollin' in September though.

that did not have the new sound package turned on as it was not public knowledge at that time.

#1669 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

WOOLY should have big, booming voices like God of War, Clash of the Titans or Hercules. It should feel like the power of the gods is barely contained in the cabinet, waiting to burst out.

I agree 1000%. I LOVE the sounds from God of War from the PS consoles. There's a particular female voice who provides narration, and it sounds f'ing awesome. Forgot her name. Another awesome voice actor is David Wenham from the 300 films. If you can find a voice actor with his type of gravitas, that would be so badass. I loved the new music I heard at Expo, you guys should definitely seek voicework with equal badassery!

#1670 8 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

I agree 1000%. I LOVE the sounds from God of War from the PS consoles. There's a particular female voice who provides narration, and it sounds f'ing awesome. Forgot her name.

Linda Hunt. She does great work, not sure how cheap she'd be given the types of projects she does (eg Pixar movies).

#1671 8 years ago

I'm not saying to get actual celebrities, but find affordable voice actors who can still provide fitting voice samples.

1 week later
#1672 8 years ago

A Christmas bump for WOOLY. Let's hope Christmas 2016 has this game under people's trees.

#1673 8 years ago

Indeed. I would love to get my hands on one eventually.

#1674 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Linda Hunt. She does great work, not sure how cheap she'd be given the types of projects she does (eg Pixar movies).

Actually, Linda Hunt has not done voice-work for Pixar movies (although she has done voice work for other projects.)

People may confuse her for Edna Mode in The Incredibles. Edna was voiced by Brad Bird, the director of The Incredibles, who is a man.

tumblr_inline_moky9eiS991qz4rgp_(resized).pngtumblr_inline_moky9eiS991qz4rgp_(resized).png

#1675 8 years ago

I'm very impressed by tons of work you've spend in your project !! Congratulations !! You deserve it because the result is wonderful. When I see your design and compare it to recent Stern production, you're better, more creatif, more ambitious. I especially like the two mini-playfieds and 6 flippers. Artworks and music are at top. I really hope you'll be recognized by industry as talented designer and I hope you'll find a way to produce your pinball and to sell a bunch of them !! Keep going on your progress. As we say in french, "La chance sourit aux audacieux" (Fortune favors the bold), and I think you've been, still are and will continue to be audacious because passionate.

1 week later
#1676 8 years ago

This table just keeps getting better...cannot wait until the day that true pre-orders/production starts!

That cabinet really deserves art as good as the rest of it!

#1677 8 years ago

Is Wrath available to play on Virtual? that would be cool to play on VP till it becomes a reality.

#1678 8 years ago
Quoted from gregh43:

Is Wrath available to play on Virtual? that would be cool to play on VP till it becomes a reality.

I don't think so and don't hold your breath for a real game.

#1679 8 years ago

Wrath started out on the VP. That's what inspired it to be made in real life.

#1680 8 years ago

Maybe pitch Wooly lay out as a "gods of Egypt."
I was in and got my refund but would love to see this layout come to life.

#1681 8 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Maybe pitch Wooly lay out as a "gods of Egypt."
I was in and got my refund but would love to see this layout come to life.

Well win the BIG one in a few hours and fund it. That's what I'd do with 700 mil after taxes.

#1682 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's what I'd do with 700 mil after taxes.

Less than that. 558 million for cash, then take off taxes ( could be as high as half )

Then make WOOLY !

LTG : )™

#1683 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Less than that. 558 million for cash, then take off taxes ( could be as high as half )
Then make WOOLY !
LTG : )™

After taxes in WI and Feds it's like $331 mil. I could live with that.
Unfortunately, Mo Money Mo Problems!

#1684 8 years ago

Thanks Capt. Neo. if I win big. you all get a Stern Kiss with a boatload of cash inside the coinbox. and will give Scott the cash to start up his own company to produce his awesome game and buy you each one too

#1685 8 years ago
Quoted from gregh43:

Thanks Capt. Neo. if I win big. you all get a Stern Kiss with a boatload of cash inside the coinbox. and will give Scott the cash to start up his own company to produce his awesome game and buy you each one too

#1687 8 years ago
Quoted from gregh43:

and this is why people who win the lottery end up bankrupt a few years later, and heck, no one has even started to ask you for money yet.

1 week later
#1688 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Wrath started out on the VP. That's what inspired it to be made in real life.

It is fun too. I just have a computer that runs VP and my virtual cab is turning my main monitor sideways. Can't get more virtual than that

#1689 8 years ago

Hey everyone! Doing a little fund raising. First person to contact me gets first dibs. Selling my original drawing for the WOOLY translite.

Artwork is done on bristol board and is 28"x22".

Own a piece of pinball history! This is the original, one-of-a-kind, hand drawn pen and ink artwork for the Wrath of Olympus pinball machine translite. The first ever pinball machine developed virtually and made real. See the incredible detail in the line work first hand.

Item is ready for custom framing. $750 purchase price includes free shipping in the United States. Also includes a free translite of the finished colored work.

First come first served. PM or email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

20160118_205419_resized_(resized).jpg20160118_205419_resized_(resized).jpg

20160118_205445_resized_(resized).jpg20160118_205445_resized_(resized).jpg

#1690 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

This is the original, one-of-a-kind, hand drawn pen and ink artwork for the Wrath of Olympus pinball machine translite.

Awesome! Fantastic details.

I wonder how a "black and white" version of Wooly would look like (playfield and translite, possibly cabinet)?
Would it be as cool as Centaur?
I know there is some red too in Centaur - for Wooly color changing Leds could give a splash of color whenever needed.

Not that I am complaining about the color version

#1691 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Hey everyone! Doing a little fund raising. First person to contact me gets first dibs. Selling my original drawing for the WOOLY translite.
Own a piece of pinball history! This is the original, one-of-a-kind, hand drawn pen and ink artwork for the Wrath of Olympus pinball machine translite. The first ever pinball machine developed virtually and made real. See the incredible detail in the line work first hand.
Item is ready for custom framing. $750 purchase price includes free shipping in the United States. Also includes a free translite of the finished colored work.
Thanks!

20160118_205419_resized_(resized).jpg20160118_205445_resized_(resized).jpg

Damn that's nice.

4 weeks later
#1692 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Thanks!

NICE! is this still available?

#1693 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballnut3:

NICE! is this still available?

You mean you don't have one.

3 months later
#1694 7 years ago

Whats the latest on WoO. Thanks

3 months later
#1695 7 years ago

Just wanted to thank Frank (luvthatapex2) for releasing a new (final?) version of Wooly code... now 1.33. He polished some of the modes, the lighting, fixed a few bugs and recrafted the 2 wizards modes.

Riot, you Rock!

#1696 7 years ago

just need now the availability to preorder it

2 weeks later
#1697 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Just wanted to thank Frank (luvthatapex2) for releasing a new (final?) version of Wooly code... now 1.33. He polished some of the modes, the lighting, fixed a few bugs and recrafted the 2 wizards modes.

Riot, you Rock!

You have a Captain Nemo and a Wooly ... I wish you streamed :'(

1 month later
#1698 7 years ago

Coming this Christmas from Riotpinball in conjunction with ColorDMD. We present - Wrath of Olympus in COLOR.

We are proud to bring you all of the battles and mystery of this epic journey in full color. Available for all owners of Wrath of Olympus. Big thanks to Randy @ ColorDMD for making the tools and interface available for this project.

Here are some screenshots!

hydra1-xl (resized).PNGhydra1-xl (resized).PNG

aphrodite-xl (resized).PNGaphrodite-xl (resized).PNG

hades1-xl (resized).PNGhades1-xl (resized).PNG

medusa2-xl (resized).PNGmedusa2-xl (resized).PNG

minotaur1-xl (resized).PNGminotaur1-xl (resized).PNG

charon1-xl (resized).PNGcharon1-xl (resized).PNG

achilles-xl (resized).PNGachilles-xl (resized).PNG

myc2-xl (resized).PNGmyc2-xl (resized).PNG

ball1_locked-xl (resized).PNGball1_locked-xl (resized).PNG

athena-xl (resized).PNGathena-xl (resized).PNG

colordmd-logo-xl (resized).PNGcolordmd-logo-xl (resized).PNG

#1699 7 years ago

a game where 100% of owners will purchase the colorDMD

Thanks Frank! you da man!!!!!

Got any scanlines examples? That is what i usually use.

#1700 7 years ago

Color looks great. I now have an urge to play this for some reason.

Maybe they should make this a kit game to put together yourself. I'd be in for that.

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.