2 (resized).jpg
skillshot-scanlines (resized).PNG
myc-scanlines (resized).PNG
hydra-hit-scanlines (resized).PNG
medusa-start-scanlines (resized).PNG
minotaur-scan (resized).PNG
cronus-addtime-scanlines (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 41.
#1401 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

In France anyway.

You know you're welcome! Got a spare bedroom! Now Check for cheap flights

#1402 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

You know you're welcome! Got a spare bedroom! Now Check for cheap flights

Oh don't tempt me like that. If I came over I'd also have to visit friends in Belgem, Sweden and Germany so I could be over there for months...which I can't afford right now.

#1403 8 years ago

jlm33 >> So glad you are getting one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1404 8 years ago

Now I wonder whom is getting #4. I put my balls on the lockdown of #3 and #4 when scott was not looking I just like to leave my mark

#1405 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I put my balls on the lockdown of #3 and #4 when scott was not looking I just like to leave my mark

and then you licked the bars, right.

#1406 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

We need Legends, but we also need fresh blood.

In many ways the fresh blood is coming from the boutiques and start-ups, who knows, maybe when Stern does need to bring in someone new, they will look at what others in the community of done. Reality is Stern is an assembly line in everything they do and that ultimately limits thing. Revolutionary innovation (vs evolutionary innovation) will come from elsewhere, like P^3.

#1407 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Revolutionary innovation (vs evolutionary innovation)

I would say SPIKE is pretty revolutionary. Still has some bugs to work out but after assembling and entire game the cost savings and modular nature of SPIKE is really something to be admired.

#1408 8 years ago

I would still call in evolutionary as it was the next logical step given advances in technology and similar use cases in other industries, and in reality could have be done far earlier, but not like Stern needed urgency around it. In fact, SPIKE is essentially a less capable and slower version of the P-ROC/P3-ROC + PDBs that are used in wooly and other machines, and that came around how many years before SPIKE? I guess if you really want you can add that to your long list of 'innovations in wooly', but be sure to give credit for that part to multimorphic. I think Heighway uses some smilier concepts as well, and that pre-dates SPIKE, but I'm not as familiar with their tech/capabilities to say for certain.

#1409 8 years ago

Guess I'm gonna move the vpin build up to play the virtual WOOLY

#1410 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Agreed with the general idea. But what is best? Have only one large manufacturer releasing 2 games per year, or one large manufacturer and a number of boutique manufacturers? Variety is good! I prefer to have the choice between several options rather than be tied to a single source.

2? Stern alone is manufacturing 4 new titles this year (3 of their own, 1 boutique), and 2 re-runs from the dead (1 MMr and 1 VE TBD). On the indie front, manufacturing and licensing is what keeps tripping up the boutiques... Solve that problem (using someone good at it) and we get even more choices with more boutique pins getting to market before the demand erodes in frustration after years and years of waiting.

If the pinball market is truly not expanding, and manufacturing 500+ of each game would oversaturate it, I would accept the tradeoff of lowering manufacturing numbers vs having less new titles, though 3 MG, or 4 WOOLY isn't exactly cutting it.

Quoted from jlm33:

Regarding my game, it won't be relagated in a basement. First because I organize public tourneys in my home every 3-5 months, second because I will bring the game to conventions.

Excellent, we need more collectors like you.

#1411 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

In many ways the fresh blood is coming from the boutiques and start-ups, who knows, maybe when Stern does need to bring in someone new, they will look at what others in the community of done. Reality is Stern is an assembly line in everything they do and that ultimately limits thing. Revolutionary innovation (vs evolutionary innovation) will come from elsewhere, like P^3.

I'am fresh just like my Medieval Castle ,but i'am almost 53 jears old.
Not so fresh anymore.
I hope Stern would copy some in GOT, it would be a honor.

#1412 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

As for the confidentiality in the parts - if you don't see why I choose to keep them private then, I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do for you. Most people I know completely understand why, and if you've heard any comments at all from any of the other actual pinball manufacturers out there you'll quickly realize that PARTS are one of the biggest issues for them moving forward (with the exception of STERN). Do yourself a favor and search for a single bank drop target assembly and tell me what you find for starters - Pinballlife doesn't sell them, Marco has been sold out for a long time, Bay Area out, etc. etc. etc. etc.

this is the biggest thing most people dont realise. When I designed my skyrim layout, I did an alternate non-license theme that I could spin out as identical but without license, when you look at part availability, things become very very tricky (I have nabbed several nos + used good drop target mechs and other parts), but none of it scales. I think this is the reason why AMH uses a servos + 3d printing (3d printing FTW!)

parts scalability really sucks going beyond a one off.

prices are also insane. flippers/pops/slings, super easy to get heaps off, what a spinner? ok now you need a bracket, gotta find the right one aaargh. want a diverter arm? find what games had diverters, go hunting for random rocky & bullwinkle diverter arms or something.

part availability HURTS indie pinball designers.

I got a new Stern NFL complete drop target bank from marco for peanuts, the price suddenly went up to 300+, so there went that idea! Good thing its the exact same thing in High Roller!

so, I can understand not naming the 'rare parts'!

good luck!

#1413 8 years ago

Will stern not sell drop target mechs like the one on Met? Is a person not allowed to buy parts in bulk from Stern or their distributors?

#1414 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is a person not allowed to buy parts in bulk from Stern or their distributors?

Other than for production, do they carry parts in bulk ? That would be a horrendous inventory to carry.

LTG : )™

#1415 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Will stern not sell drop target mechs like the one on Met?

Asked and answered:

Quoted from BloodyCactus:

part availability HURTS indie pinball designers

Do you think Stern wants to help Indie pinball?

#1416 8 years ago

#1417 8 years ago

4 more WOOLYs in the world? Great news! Congrats to Scott and the lucky few new owners. The existence of WOOLY is a testament to the countless hours of hard work from Scott and Frank and help from various members of the custom pinball development community. Hopefully the story continues on and we eventually see more getting made.

- Gerry
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com

#1418 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Do you think Stern wants to help Indie pinball?

Yeah I figured as much.

#1419 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not trying to convince anybody of anything. Just talking pinball.
The ONLY way you will ever be able to buy one is if someone picks up the title and makes it. I am already convinced there would be no problem selling 250 of them for 8k or 8500 if they were sitting in a box ready to ship.
I am merely offering you the opportunity to come play some pinball and be able to get a real impression on the game in a home environment.

If WOOLY was available NIB right now for $8k I'd buy one.

1 week later
#1420 8 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

If WOOLY was available NIB right now for $8k I'd buy one.

Same here.

#1421 8 years ago

More Woolys would be awesome. Stern!!!

#1422 8 years ago

they need to fix some weak flipper issues first tho. After playing it this weekend at Mad rolling. I don't remember it being this weak. So weak, that you could not get up any ramp without a head start roll happening. Even just making an orbit was a chore. Something needs to be beefed up. If the flippers were as strong as americas most haunted, I think they would be in business. Those flippers are super strong.

#1423 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

they need to fix some weak flipper issues first tho. After playing it this weekend at Mad rolling. I don't remember it being this weak. So weak, that you could not get up any ramp without a head start roll happening. Even just making an orbit was a chore. Something needs to be beefed up. If the flippers were as strong as americas most haunted, I think they would be in business. Those flippers are super strong.

Thanks for the comments. All 6 flippers are adjustable in the menu from 10 to 40 with a default of 23 for lower, 15 for mid and 13 for upper. Not sure what they were set for at the tournament, but they are adjustable.

#1424 8 years ago

well then he didn't know how to adjust them then, because it played like shit. And I didn't remember it playing that bad when I played it at expo. Actually thought the shots were really smooth at expo.

#1425 8 years ago

They were just fine. Neo just not happy with how HE did.

Golf goal was to hit atleast 2 zeus letters on the upper pf. Neo stroked out with a 4 but someone in his group even got it done in 1 ball so they obviously had no issue making all the tough shots. 16 out of 39 players on the course got it done in 1 or 2 ball... Flippers were just fine frank.

set on 15 for lower and mids. Set on 13 for uppers. easily able to make all ramps with a clean shot even from cradle and pitch of 7.2

i can hand out stats on shots from the event if you want, but needless to say it was plenty easy to make all shots if you hit them cleanly.
i could have easily turned up power but it was tuned in and playing well. Neo did not have a single comment yesterday. I would have been happy to give him a tutorial on the game. Some people just like to internet.

Most People were happy to have the opportunity to play a rare game along with all the other great games people brought to the event. I have only heard Neo complain about games at the event, esp the ones which he played poorly on. it is really too bad he did not take a minute to ask me yesterday if he thought flippers were weak, I would have gladly showed him otherwise and even turned up the power after the competition was over so he could see how strong they can be and to help those who are not good at making the shots and need added power to overcome their poor shot accuracy.

#1426 8 years ago

Hey, I did shitty on plenty of machines. Doesn't matter how I did on it, tells if it's dialed in correctly or not. there is a difference between a game that's dialed in and one that's not. It's not rocket science to tell if a game is not setup correctly or not, and everyone I talked to said the same thing. the flippers were weak as shit. Something needed to be adjusted. Should not be that difficult to get up a ramp from a smooth shot. When the left orbit only makes it around 50% of the time and the other times it loses so much speed it doesn't even make the trip, there is something wrong. Not complaining about the game itself. I've played it at expo. With strong flippers it plays fine. that High speed in the tournament wasn't dialed in either. Plunger could not make it up the ramp in the slightest. If it was done intentionally or a fault from not being properly dialed in. Or shadow, where the upper playfield kicker would kick everytime you moved the kicker. That's not correct performance for that machine either. Opto was messed up or something. No matter what the problems were, had nothing to do with pingolf performance. Problems are problems regardless.

#1427 8 years ago

I know Whysnow has one, is there another one up there near MN or WI? I'm heading up there Oct 1 - 7, and wouldn't mind playing one..!

#1428 8 years ago

So let me get this straight. Same game. Same flippers. Radically different opinions. Anything more important going on in the wolrd?

#1429 8 years ago

Like I said Neo, sad that you did not say anything yesterday. i would have happily turned up the power after competition to help you out.

It was a tough goal and the shots are tight. I dialed the game in specifically for the event and plenty of people had no problem completing the goal without stroking out. the goal required a left orbit shot to upper R flipper, followed by shot up to the upper pf, followed by hitting at least 2 zeus targets. it was proven to be the 4th hardest hole on course A with an avg of 2.9 strokes to complete it. over half the people playing the game had no problem making the shots you say were under powered FYI as they did not stroke out. As Steve R says, PLAY better!

#1430 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

So let me get this straight. Same game. Same flippers. Radically different opinions. Anything more important going on in the wolrd?

Well technically Neo has an opinion and I am looking at the results from the competition which show that in fact the majority of people had no problem making the shots he says were unmakable and doing them in clean succession.

#1431 8 years ago

shots are tight? That right ramp is wide as shit. There should be no problems getting up that ramp with a clean shot. yet, if you cradle the ball, the shot was impossible. Only way you were getting up that ramp is from the ball rolling from the inlane, and the flipper didn't have the full weight of the ball to hinder it. Ask around and anyone that played it for some time will agree. Needed to be adjusted if possible.

#1432 8 years ago

Funny, you did not say a single thing yesterday...
Pretty tacky to have a complaint after you finish in the bottom 25%, but did not ask a thing about it at the event.

Everyone else only told me how much fun they had playing the game and how glad they were that I brought it so they could check it out.

#1433 8 years ago

I'd think you would have wanted it dialed in as much as possible and playing as good as possible so people would have a full experience to enjoy all the fruits the game had to offer. I played Heidi on it and told her directly how crappy the flippers were and asked her if they were adjustable.

#1434 8 years ago

You can tell, if game barely makes it up the ramp, something needs to be done. Stargate suffered the same fate. Even with a freshly rebuilt flipper and cleared field, you can barely make it up the right ramp. Gottlieb didn't put in strong enough coils for the long shot and steep ramp. The solution was to put in the next higher or 2 sizes higher coil. Problem solved. game played perfectly since. But, you have to be able to tell there is a problem first, to fix the problem.

#1435 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'd think you would have wanted it dialed in as much as possible and playing as good as possible so people would have a full experience to enjoy all the fruits the game had to offer. I played Heidi on it and told her directly how crappy the flippers were and asked her if they were adjustable.

LOL. I just looked and she got a 1 on it...
She said you asked her about flipper power and she told you they were adjustable and I had turned them down so the shots could be made from cradle but as to not lead to breakage. Not sure why you seem to have forgot that she told you they were adjustable yesterday. I had them on 15 and they go all the way to 40. At 40 you can make it to the upper pf from any Ramp, LOL.

Seems like your intent here is pretty obvious.

To any cool pinheads, if you are ever in the madison area and want to check out wooly just hit me up. i am happy to share and even show you some of the cool stuff like ability to change flipper power in the settings, just ask rather that talk stupid on the internet.

#1436 8 years ago

the intent is to tell you, it was no properly dialed in and could have played much better than it did.

#1437 8 years ago

You know better, you should know when flippers are not right. My BF has a weaker right flipper. Does it make it up the ramp, Sure. Sometimes. I know that flipper plays like shit. just because it can make it up the ramp from an inlane roll doesn't mean it's working right. My baywatch has a weak left flipper. Same thing. When things are not working right, things that shouldn't be difficult are. You have the insight to know if something is playing right or it's not. Having them weak for the show is fine, but to say it's playing perfect with the legs leveled like they are with the flipper power at whatever it is, is not true.

#1438 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the intent is to tell you, it was no properly dialed in and could have played much better than it did.

He built it himself, I'd expect a lot of dialing in needs to happen. Maybe the flipper strength is at the good enough level to avoid breaking amything?

#1439 8 years ago

Neo, when the majority of people had no problem completing the goal then that tells me it was playing pretty good.

i appreciate your feedback that you think flipper power set to 15 was not enough. it was enough for the vast majority of people there to enjoy the game and make the needed shots with ease as evidenced by lots of people that did well on completing the goal.

You deciding not to say a single thing in person yesterday and then come online and make outlandish claims makes you look bitter about how you played and honest a pretty shitty thing to do as a friend. If you thought the game needed more flipper power, why not come see me after golf and ask to see it adjusted? After-all, my wife even told you it was adjustable...

it really does not make much sense to me to not ask in person and just come bitch about it later when you were even told they were adjustable.

#1440 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

He built it himself, I'd expect a lot of dialing in needs to happen. Maybe the flipper strength is at the good enough level to avoid breaking amything?

Flipper strength was set good enough to make all ramps from a craddle with ease as evidence by the number of people able to easily complete the pingolf goal. It was also set to not be overly strong as no reason to be overpowered.

i tested and adjusted extensively on Friday after setting up at MRP. i even made it pretty deep in a game on friday and had absolutely no problem with successive ramp shots over and over as certain modes call for that.

#1441 8 years ago

fwiw, I played a bunch of games Friday night on WOOLY and flipper strength wasn't an issue at all. I was able to make all the ramp shots without issue and managed to put up some decent scores. Hilton mentioned that he dialed down the flipper and sling power from default settings because it is a prototype game with pre-production parts. The ramps were thin plastic and not as robust as production ramps and some of the parts are 3d printed and not built to withstand a ton of abuse. I thought the game was setup well and he got it playing really good considering the game was basically a box of parts a few weeks ago.

As far as gameplay goes I really enjoyed the game. There's a ton of shots and things to shoot for and I enjoyed the uniqueness of the layout. If I had a gripe at all it would be that the ramp shots were a little too tight and I'd like it if there was a way to keep the ball in the upper right flipper quadrant a little bit longer. It could use some type of post/rubber setup like in BK2K which could allow the ball to bounce up and give you another shot with that UR flipper. As it is right now it comes whizzing around fast and if you miss the ramp it hits the metal guide rail below it and then falls to the lower playfield. Overall though I think it's a great overall package and a fun game! I loved the callouts (Especially the Scarface references) and the sound package as well as the DMD artwork. I would love to see this game go to full production as I think the game is too good not to be made and enjoyed by the masses!

#1442 8 years ago
#1443 8 years ago

Mad props to Whysnow for his Mad Rollin' tourney and sharing his pinball machine with so many people - seriously - there's only 6 of these games in existence and he opened his personal game up to so many people to play and beat on. I'm very glad to hear that so many more people got a chance to see and experience the world of Wrath of Olympus in pinball form. His game is truly one of kind, personally hand built and adjusted to the needs at hand. From the videos I've seen of the event and feedback I've received, I've been very happy to hear the game did well. For those that had their own issues with certain shots, well, that's why the god's invented more quarters - to practice and get better. And if after that you still don't succeed, well, the good news is that Gerry's PROC system is so versatile that changing the flipper strength to dial the game in to how you see fit is as easy as changing the volume level on the game.

#1445 8 years ago

dude, I already told you I didn't give a shit about the goal. the goal was fine. It wasn't a big deal. The game would have been more fun to play if the flippers were set stronger. Barely making it up a ramp does not consist of being dialed in. Maybe it was weaker because of it being played constantly and the coils were getting hot. Who knows but during pinbrawl, even the right loop was a struggle to get around with a clean shot. And I didn't find out the flippers were adjustable until pinbrawl when I was talking to people about it. Heidi didn't know for sure if they were adjustable and someone else said they were. And if you wanted to keep the coil level down due to fragile ramps and what not, that's fine. Just telling you it seemed pretty low for how steep the ramps are. Since it's adjustable, it's an easy fix. The one I played at expo was more enjoyable due to the flippers being stronger and snappier. I even told you then I thought the game was decent back in expo. It was the 3rd best game at the show. You know i'm not one to blow sunshine up someones butt just because. If something plays like shit, i'm going to say so. And telling you at the show wouldn't have made a difference. You were busy with a million things, and wouldn't be able to change it anyway because the tournament already started. Would have been pointless.

#1446 8 years ago

Neo, I would have happily taken the 30 sec to open the game and adjust them up as soon as golf qualifying was over. All you needed to do was ask. I was running around helping others out and playing but would have happily taken the short amount of time to even show you how cool it is to be able to adjust coil strength!

I will say again that they were playing good enough for someone in your 4-pack to get a hole in 1. The last 4-pack to play the game (after 36 other games played in direct succession) included scores of 2, 1, 1, and 2, so it does really appear you were in the minority that struggled with flipper settings for golf. Sorry you did not enjoy the game. Next time, please take a minute to let the game owner or an official know and I will be happy to discuss or address.

#1447 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Mad props to Whysnow for his Mad Rollin' tourney and sharing his pinball machine with so many people

thanks Scott! I love sharing this game. Looking forward to the next time you get to play mine now that it is dialed in!

I still feel so fortunate to have been invited to be part of the creators addition and to have this game!

#1448 8 years ago

Scott/Frank >> Any idea on where/when is the next time people may get to check out WOOLY in a public setting?

#1449 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Scott/Frank >> Any idea on where/when is the next time people may get to check out WOOLY in a public setting?

WOOLY will most likely be at Expo again this year.

#1450 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

WOOLY will most likely be at Expo again this year.

that is GREAT news!

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.