2 (resized).jpg
skillshot-scanlines (resized).PNG
myc-scanlines (resized).PNG
hydra-hit-scanlines (resized).PNG
medusa-start-scanlines (resized).PNG
minotaur-scan (resized).PNG
cronus-addtime-scanlines (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 41.
#751 9 years ago

Hello Everybody! I hope everyone is having a great holiday break. We have another quick mini-update:

We have the first version of COMPETITIVE PLAY in place. This is a tournament type mode that is available by pressing/holding both flippers for 3 seconds during attract mode. You’ll get a 9 second countdown to HIT START and if you start a game during this 9 seconds, the game changes to COMPETITIVE PLAY. We will enable more features in the future for competitive play, but wanted the basic mode enabled in version 1.0 of the software.

We will also have 2 options in the service menu for COMPETITIVE PLAY:
Allow Competitive Play => YES/NO (select YES if you want to allow competitive play on the game. By default it will be YES, but for those that want this feature disabled, it’s an option)
Force Competitive Play => YES/NO (select YES is you want to force the game into competitive play. This will be for parties, tournaments, competitions with friends, etc. so you don’t have to hold the flippers during attract mode to enable competitive play. It will retain this mode as long as the selection is YES in the service menu.

Features of COMPETITVE PLAY:
· Balanced scoring.
· No extra balls (except for completing Poseidon/hades as these are completion awards)
· No pity extra ball
· 5 second ball saves for monster/god modes/Cyclops
· 5 second ball save for skillshot/plunge
· Athena is pleased loop awards 1 million for 9 loops
· Pandora mystery award is always 1 million
· Titan Awards are always 100k

Over the next week we will playtest the changes post-expo (the 2 wizard modes, minigames and competitive mode) and fix any bugs encountered, then mark the gamecode complete for version 1.0 of the software.

What is the significance of version 1.0 of the software? Version 1.0 of the software denotes a complete game. The original vision has found a real home with all of the modes, features and gameplay now complete. The game will get many more updates along with the way to production, but this is a milestone we’ve been working very diligently on for the past 18 months – and we are very excited that it has arrived.

As always, please feel free to email me if you'd like more information or have any questions!
[email protected]

-Scott

#752 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

What is the significance of version 1.0 of the software? Version 1.0 of the software denotes a complete game. The original vision has found a real home with all of the modes, features and gameplay now complete. The game will get many more updates along with the way to production, but this is a milestone we’ve been working very diligently on for the past 18 months – and we are very excited that it has arrived.

Nice work man, that's a legit milestone that professional companies can't seem to reach before shipping.

#753 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Hello Everybody! I hope everyone is having a great holiday break. We have another quick mini-update:
We have the first version of COMPETITIVE PLAY in place. This is a tournament type mode that is available by pressing/holding both flippers for 3 seconds during attract mode. You’ll get a 9 second countdown to HIT START and if you start a game during this 9 seconds, the game changes to COMPETITIVE PLAY. We will enable more features in the future for competitive play, but wanted the basic mode enabled in version 1.0 of the software.
Allow Competitive Play => YES/NO (select YES if you want to allow competitive play on the game. By default it will be YES, but for those that want this feature disabled, it’s an option)
Force Competitive Play => YES/NO (select YES is you want to force the game into competitive play. This will be for parties, tournaments, competitions with friends, etc. so you don’t have to hold the flippers during attract mode to enable competitive play. It will retain this mode as long as the selection is YES in the service menu.
· Balanced scoring.
· No extra balls (except for completing Poseidon/hades as these are completion awards)
· No pity extra ball
Over the next week we will playtest the changes post-expo (the 2 wizard modes, minigames and competitive mode) and fix any bugs encountered, then mark the gamecode complete for version 1.0 of the software.
As always, please feel free to email me if you'd like more information or have any questions!
[email protected]
-Scott

Riot: 1 Stern:0

Complete code is a huge deal!

#754 9 years ago

Game is sounding better and better all the time.

#755 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nice work man, that's a legit milestone that professional companies can't seem to reach before shipping.

Is that a fair comparison though? Wasn't WOOLY already coded for the virtual machine?

#756 9 years ago

I feel so great to be a part of this awesome project (as an investor in Riot Pinball and my future fun)

#757 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is that a fair comparison though? Wasn't WOOLY already coded for the virtual machine?

Actually, the code was completely rewritten for running in python by a completely different author on top of essentially being a completely different game. For those that have played the two versions, the real WOOLY is much different from a rules perspective and has so many more features, modes, multiballs, special toys (Hades, Pandoras Box), etc. From a code perspective they are essentially completely different games.

#758 9 years ago

Nice job... can't wait to play that one.

#759 9 years ago

I know we are getting close to the line in the sand of 100...how close are we?

#760 9 years ago

To those with potential interest: last days before the deadline (?)
If you have any hesitation, just ask Scott.

#761 9 years ago

I cant say enough. Wooly is Awesome. I have met Scott many times. He is a honest and upfront.

He also is just a guy with regular job who loves pinball. The amount of effort,time and his own money he put into this project is unfathomable. This is his baby. Its going to be awesome. I promise. His time and hard work promise.

The clock ticking. Get in on this. I have played it recently and I can reaffirm its awesome.
I'm in and I want to see this made. There is no other way.

If anyone has any questions or needs to hear more about WOOLY. Please contact Scott now. If you want to hear more about it from a random pinhead. PM me. Don't let unanswered questions be your roadblock. Don't let other manufactures distrust, issues, delays get in the way.

Scott is the real thing.

#762 9 years ago

Any chance you guys can move forward with 50 buyers, then increase the price by, say $500 for the next batch of 50-100 once the first 50 have been produced?
I really think this game would sell well if it were currently available at distributors.
I understand that costs increase with fewer pins produced, but with all the pre-order/start-up debacles of late, maybe a reduced initial run followed by a price increase for the next round of buyers is a viable way to go?
Otherwise, would there be any possibility of Spooky or Cointaker or someone else purchasing 10-20 units in order to sell them with a mark-up once completed?
If the real issue is "start-up/pre-book uncertainty", am I alone, thinking that us chickens would be willing to pay a higher price with less risk?
This pin seems to have enough toys and extras to warrant a higher price tag.

#763 9 years ago

I am with you if it was here right now it would sell like hotcakes.
If anyone has $500,000 they can borrow I am sure this pinball awesomeness could happen.

#764 9 years ago

Bump. Because this game deserves way more exposure than its getting.

#765 9 years ago

To me this is great looking machine with complete code....pitch it to one of the big boys...make thousands of them.

#766 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Any chance you guys can move forward with 50 buyers, then increase the price by, say $500 for the next batch of 50-100 once the first 50 have been produced?

No. He posted that here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-play-it-at-expo/page/10#post-2008553

Quoted from T-800:

the bottom line is if we dont have our numbers by January WE WONT BE BUILDING WOOLY's.

#767 9 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

To me this is great looking machine with complete code....pitch it to one of the big boys...make thousands of them.

He answered that one already too:

Quoted from T-800:

Unfortunately JJP and STERN have no interest in this project

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-play-it-at-expo/page/10#post-2010426

#768 9 years ago

FWIW...bump.

Best of luck,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#769 9 years ago

Is it more complicated than requiring a minimum number of guaranteed sales to be in? It would be nice to see someone step up to fill the much needed niche to fulfill boutique pinball manufacturing, as the backlog of ideas needing final execution is growing. I suppose it is why the distributor model works to guarantee a minimum number of sales.

#770 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

· Balanced scoring.
· No pity extra ball
[email protected]
-Scott

Ball save time should be it's own setting and not tied to tournament mode on / off.
Extra ball should be it's own setting and EB off / max EB = 0 has no extra balls at all.
When you get a EB with them off / at the max it should give fixed points. Maybe for the modes with completion awards give more points for EB.

That is how stern and wms games do it.

also for the mystery stuff can it do more then just one fixed in thing in COMPETITIVE PLAY?
other games have Balanced mystery that does that. It can just be stuff like in a mode always give more time for first mystery shot in that mode. In Multiball always give add a ball / if at max balls out ball save on for the first shot.

#771 9 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Ball save time should be it's own setting and not tied to tournament mode on / off.
Extra ball should be it's own setting and EB off / max EB = 0 has no extra balls at all.
When you get a EB with them off / at the max it should give fixed points. Maybe for the modes with completion awards give more points for EB.
That is how stern and wms games do it.
also for the mystery stuff can it do more then just one fixed in thing in COMPETITIVE PLAY?
other games have Balanced mystery that does that. It can just be stuff like in a mode always give more time for first mystery shot in that mode. In Multiball always give add a ball / if at max balls out ball save on for the first shot.

Joe thanks for the suggestions. We will review them and consider adjustments during our testing period. As always, we love to hear from others. While we have our own reasons for code implemented some things can be changed if there is a good reason.

#772 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Is it more complicated than requiring a minimum number of guaranteed sales to be in?

I put the link there so you could read the whole post. Read under #3 in the post and he explains it all.

Quoted from Baiter:

It would be nice to see someone step up to fill the much needed niche to fulfill boutique pinball manufacturing, as the backlog of ideas needing final execution is growing. I suppose it is why the distributor model works to guarantee a minimum number of sales.

All of these other boutique pinball machines have tied up so much money that WOOLY will never get a fair shake. WOOLY just got there too late. Two years ago they probably would have sold out 100 units overnight.

#773 9 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

I put the link there so you could read the whole post. Read under #3 in the post and he explains it all.

All of these other boutique pinball machines have tied up so much money that WOOLY will never get a fair shake. WOOLY just got there too late. Two years ago they probably would have sold out 100 units overnight.

I'm surprised 100 units haven't sold considering the completeness of this game as compared to almost all others, and it looks like a very nice shooting playfield, arguably better than most games put out in recent years. The problem is simple, as you mention, it is stiff competition at the now infamous $8k price point, whereas there is little competition at less money.

On one hand it shows how important a theme or designer can be for sales, but bottom line is this hobby needs an infusion of new talent, and I'd like to see this succeed.

#774 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Joe thanks for the suggestions. We will review them and consider adjustments during our testing period. As always, we love to hear from others. While we have our own reasons for code implemented some things can be changed if there is a good reason.

just from playing in tournaments you do need a way to trun off all EB's to make it as fair as it can be.

#775 9 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I agree make thousands.

Quoted from woodworker:

He answered that one already too:

Not really

Quoted from T-800:

we tried very hard initially to get a larger manufacture to build for us.

"we tried hard to get someone to build it for us". That is different than signing off and selling the prototype and rights with it. This is a almost fully developed game Stern could tweak whatever they wanted to and put it in their line up a year or two down the road. Maybe it ends up being a little different but at least it gets made.

Sure Scott and company loose control and ownership rights but IMHO that's better than loosing everything they worked for.

#776 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I'm surprised 100 units haven't sold

I'm rooting for it, be very cool if it was made, but $8k is just too much money I think. And Scott hasn't been able to tour the show circuit to demo the game for people. I dunno where it was besides Expo, only place I've seen it, but fairly certain nothing on the Western half of the country has been covered. Pretty hard to sell an expensive game and ignore California, Texas, and the Pacific NW.

Even Spooky is struggling with that. I know people out here who want to try AMH so they can decide if they want to buy it, but it's just not easily available.

I don't know what's going to happen to this project, last update I remember was 50ish people were in, and I doubt another 50 have appeared since then. Be a pity if it all had to be scrapped, though I assume the Riot people will at least build personal vanity games for themselves.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think this game not being made is a failure for boutique pinball, or original themes. My takeaway would be that if you want to make a game you should really watch the BOM, not go for 6 flippers out of the gate for instance, and focus on the rules. Lots of great ideas on this one. And it's where Stern is the most vulnerable. Make a game that can sell for $6500 instead, compete at the Stern Premium level, and bring code for the true home collector.

And you've got to find a way to tour with the game. I'm willing to bet the bulk of the pre-order folks in this thread played it. At Expo or otherwise (was it somewhere else? I forget). It's gonna take money and time, but if you can't tour with it then it's a real uphill climb, because playing is believing for so many.

Best of luck to Scott and Riot, whatever happens in the next couple days and whatever decisions are made.

#777 9 years ago
Quoted from Snowhyt:

"we tried hard to get someone to build it for us". That is different than signing off and selling the prototype and rights with it. This is a almost fully developed game Stern could tweak whatever they wanted to and put it in their line up a year or two down the road. Maybe it ends up being a little different but at least it gets made.

Sure Scott and company loose control and ownership rights but IMHO that's better than loosing everything they worked for.

I'm guessing the BOM / profit margin is not in line with where it would need to be for Stern to remotely consider it. Plus, as much as people here call for unlicensed themes, I don't believe that will prove profitable on a large scale. I love WOOLY, but I couldn't imagine Stern taking this on for countless reasons.

#778 9 years ago

I am still interested in the game but I have decided that I will not be pre-ordering. What it comes down to for me is that $8000+shipping is probably more than I would pay for a machine especially that I have not played. Add to that the wait and I just can't bring myself to get in on it.

To be clear I am confident that the price is what they need to have it set at but I can't justify to myself spending that much on top of waiting. A lower price with a wait or shipping now at the full price and I would be much more likely to order, especially as I would not have a chance to try it before ordering.

Still best of luck on the project, I really hope that it will get made.

#779 9 years ago

Someone mentioned once (not sure if it was Scott himself, but someone at expo) that Stern won't touch a run this small. If you're not making a thousand of them, they don't want to bother.

#780 9 years ago

For better or worse, I set out to design and build this pinball machine to be epic. I really didn't want another run of the mill pinball machine with fewer features just so that it could be made profitably. Just wasn't a part of my original intent. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't change anything - I'd just start the project two years sooner. Besides, my BOM for a big company would still fall in line with what they are doing today. Reality is I've gotta spend 2-3X for some of the same parts because I'd be buying 100's and not 1000's.

As for rehashing why we are not having STERN or JJP, etc. making this game for us - believe me, we would have been more than happy to sell the game and rights to either of them to make WOOLY available to more people - they're simply just not interested. It can be brought up over and over again, but as of right now that hasn't changed. Besides, Charlie has stepped up to the plate for me, bent over backward to make incredible playfields and plastics, and I want to support him and his incredible business which is actually shipping complete pinball machines. We'll do everything we can to make that happen and keep some variety in the world of pinball.

#781 9 years ago

And THAT is why you have my 100% support and I am putting money in to get a game!

I love the game, but more than anything I support the idea of what this is!

#782 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

For better or worse, I set out to design and build this pinball machine to be epic.

And from everything we have seen or read, it is epic.

All those complaining about Stern's pins delivered with skeleton rules (remember X-men at start?) now you can support a company making a pin with complete code before production!

AMH sales were a bit slow at start (from what I read) because of unlicensed theme. But the word of mouth is so good that it will be sold out eventually.

Same should apply to Wooly!

#783 9 years ago

Very well spoken Scott

#784 9 years ago

The game is great as is, and Scott is still adding things to it to make it better. While some don't like the music or all of the call outs, most of that is customizable, and that is very cool. I played it at Expo and really liked how it played. The couple of minor nits that I didn't really like (like thedink-donk), Scott has listened and modified. But it is hard to plunk down the large deposit Scott wants and then have to wait. While the planned start of production is 9 months off, and not that it will, we have seen how that can slip. Plus it isn't clear how long it will take to get them all built. I'll buy one once production starts, and I can see the end in sight. Hopefully Scott can make all 250 of them (and more please!) once people see how fun a game it really is to play.

#785 9 years ago

I don't think people get it, the game won't be built without the funds up front. There is no I'll wait until production to buy it.

#786 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I don't think people get it, the game won't be built without the funds up front. There is no I'll wait until production to buy it.

Yup.
And, unlike JPop and DP, here there's a hell of a lot of info about the game and it's progress and gameplay. I haven't played the game (virtual OR real), but I like unlicensed themes, and I like how the game is set up. I'd be in if I didn't have a house purchase this coming year. (I would seriously consider buying someone's hand in a year, too..!)

I am really hoping the goal of 100 is seen..!
-Mike

#787 9 years ago

I am hoping RIOT has come up with a way to push onward even if they do not have the required 100 orders by the end of the year.

I personally would 'invest' and buy a second game IF the production limit was reduced to 100 games.
I believe enough in the company that I would find a way to scrap together the funds for 2 games, knowing that with a limit of 100 I could sell the second one for enough to recoup my investment plus some.

I don't care to 'invest' in pinball but this may be a way to generate the required startup funds to get the game built. Granted that also means you are limiting the number produced and potential long term return for Riot, but if this is really a go or no go sort of situation then I have to guess a good chuck of the original 50 that have ordered are wanting this game enough to take on an additional 8k investment/risk??? Limit it to 100 total and I am in to do something like this.

#788 9 years ago

I'd love too, just not in the budget.

#789 9 years ago

I am hoping this goes forward as well. Love the game. I am hoping that they will make additional parts available for sale. I would like to pick up an additional playfield, plastic set, and translite.

#790 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am hoping RIOT has come up with a way to push onward even if they do not have the required 100 orders by the end of the year.

I personally would 'invest' and buy a second game IF the production limit was reduced to 100 games.
I believe enough in the company that I would find a way to scrap together the funds for 2 games, knowing that with a limit of 100 I could sell the second one for enough to recoup my investment plus some.

I don't care to 'invest' in pinball but this may be a way to generate the required startup funds to get the game built. Granted that also means you are limiting the number produced and potential long term return for Riot, but if this is really a go or no go sort of situation then I have to guess a good chuck of the original 50 that have ordered are wanting this game enough to take on an additional 8k investment/risk??? Limit it to 100 total and I am in to do something like this.

I would consider something like this as well. For the most part, I think I'm done buying NIB, so I'm not really interested personally in spending more than $8K to get this game. But if you're strictly talking about a "temporary investment" into a second game, I might consider it. Once the game is complete and out there, with only 100 total made, there's no doubt getting at least the initial investment back out would not be too difficult.

Dropping the production limit to 100 would reduce the overall potential for Scott compared to 250, but assuming 100 is profitable, that's better than 0. Additionally, have any of you seen the sick playfield sketch of Alice in Wonderland on the RIOT site? If WOOLY gets built, there is a better chance that game could come to fruition, and people would have more trust in RIOT having a game out in the wild. The pre-order model is on life support, if not officially dead, so I'm not sure what that would mean for a second game from RIOT. However, being someone that's been in on RAZA, I would far prefer what I see in the early sketch of AIW from RIOT than the vaporware^3 that Jpop has with his AIW.

#791 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I wish I could too, but I can't afford a second one!

In any case, any mean / solution to reach the goal is welcome.

#792 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Did Spooky need deposits up front to build the game? Absolutely not. There are some people willing to put up cash and wait. I'm hoping between all the alternatives Scott will find a way to build it. But needing pre-orders isn't an absolute necessity, it is just the easiest way to shift all the risk to the buyers. Some are willing to take that risk, good for them, I'm grateful for those that do so hopefully I can own this game. But I'm not willing to do that.

#793 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I wish I could too, but I can't afford a second one!
In any case, any mean / solution to reach the goal is welcome.

I figure the initial out of pocket cost would be pretty similar.

I am getting production game #2 to be made and assuming I commit to a second it would be game #51 (or whatever). I would need to have 9k in by mid-Feb and then pay off #2 when ready.

Assuming I could turn around and sell #2 shorthy after I get it for a decent profit, it would actually mean that my game #51 would cost me less out of pocket and I would just have to float a couple of grand for a few months.

#794 9 years ago

We interrupt this broadcast for a small update: Testing version 0.99 of the software today. It's looking good! We are on target for a complete rev 1.0 by 12-31-14.

#795 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

We are on target for a complete rev 1.0 by 12-31-14

Videos or it did not happen!

Busy New Year's eve?

#796 9 years ago
Quoted from angus:

Did Spooky need deposits up front to build the game? Absolutely not. There are some people willing to put up cash and wait. I'm hoping between all the alternatives Scott will find a way to build it. But needing pre-orders isn't an absolute necessity, it is just the easiest way to shift all the risk to the buyers. Some are willing to take that risk, good for them, I'm grateful for those that do so hopefully I can own this game. But I'm not willing to do that.

Actually, yes, I believe Spooky did require deposit money up front to build most of the first batches of AMH. Same as my business model though, that money was spent on parts for your machine.

Also note, that AMH does not have the significant amount of custom ramps and other parts that require a large amount of capital investment to get made in bulk, which makes it a little easier to do smaller start-up runs without investing a ton-o-cash.

#797 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Videos or it did not happen!
Busy New Year's eve?

Sorry, I've been busy testing most of the day but I had a killer game so at least I took a pic of it for posterity

After 30 games today I hit my all time Grand Champ score of 373,565,720. If you've played the game or remember the rules we posted this is what I was able to get in one marathon game (20 minutes). Of course I had a bunch of stinker games along the way, but this one stood out so I took a pic. What a rush.

Minotaur – completed (2 ball MB for completion)
Medusa – completed (4 ball MB for completion)
Cerberus – completed
Hydra – completed
Beast Master – 50 million for completing all monsters
Sirens – started but died (sirens is a bonus mode if you beat all monsters and hit the scoop in 7 sec)
Ares – started but died
Hades – completed (shoot again)
Zeus letter MB – twice (3 ball MB)
Move your chariot - twice
Two extra balls.

Things I didn’t get to do: battle two more gods (Poseidon and Zeus), Aphrodite Hurryup, Achilles Hurryup, Pandora 3 ball locks and multiball, hades bash, Ball Buster MB (captive ball mb), Second wizard mode for starting all monster/gods, Main wizard mode of 5 levels for completing monsters/gods. I probably would have played for an hour if I got far Oh well, I tried, maybe tomorrow, lol.

IMG_2047.JPGIMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2049.JPGIMG_2049.JPG
IMG_2050.JPGIMG_2050.JPG

#798 9 years ago

now you are just rubbing it in that you get to play

#799 9 years ago

Love it, wish I had the funds to put down a pre-order now but don't.

#800 9 years ago

Please make mine now.

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.